Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Guys. Guys. Guys. I need you all to be serious here for a moment and contemplate something that doesn't directly affect you. The Youtube community, the 19 year olds who upload their opinions on important things like makeup and shoes, are getting burnt out before they hit 20 years old.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/12/youtube-creators-mental-health/

quote:

But the pressure YouTubers have to deal with goes beyond money. As a YouTube creator, you're basically expected to make videos non-stop, otherwise you run the risk of losing relevance (and money) on the site. Doing too much too quickly can take a mental toll and lead to serious burnout. That's a struggle that Elle Mills, a YouTuber with about 1.4 million subscribers, talked about in a video from May titled "Burnt out at 19." She discussed how, despite having her dream job, she simply wasn't content. "My life just changed so fast," Mills said in the video. "My anxiety and depression keeps getting worse and worse. This is all I ever wanted, and why the gently caress am I so unfucking unhappy? It doesn't make any sense. It's so stupid. It is so stupid."

These poor artists suffering for their art, their very souls, are being irreparably damaged by negative comments and thumbs down on Youtube.

quote:

Then there's the toxicity of the internet. Sam Sheffer, who quit his job in online media in 2016 to become a full-time YouTuber, said one of the toughest things he's had to endure is negative comments on his videos. He said it's taken him years to not let those, along with criticism (which can sometimes be constructive), affect him emotionally. This issue is magnified when you consider that many YouTube creators also produce content on other social media services, such as Twitch and Instagram. "It can be draining trying to grow on a platform like YouTube," Sheffer said. "I think if a creator is feeling burned out, they should definitely take a mental break -- even if that means not uploading for two weeks. As long as you do things with the right intent, and come back strong, things will work out." That's obviously not a guarantee, but Sheffer is optimistic that viewers would be understanding.

Never mind the fact that these people are making hundreds of thousands of dollars rambling to a $100 video camera about clothing and video games... it's the toxic internet that is breaking them. Absolutely crushing story, please think of this and like and subscribe to my channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
You think thats tough? I know some balding men in their 40s who are just now realizing that their hot-takes on Dark Souls don’t actually count as a legacy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I dunno I think it's a bad environment for children or young people and you should try to have some level of empathy for that, the edge thing is kinda early 2000s.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
My papa worked in the YouTube mines 16 hours a day to buy my little sister dancing shoes.

When he tried to organize a union they done broke his thumbs.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

My papa worked in the YouTube mines 16 hours a day to buy my little sister dancing shoes.

When he tried to organize a union they done broke his thumbs.

ain't right, no sir

*strums out of tune guitar*

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
These people need to:

A) Shut-up
B) Start whispering into a mic
C) Enjoy their $$$$$

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

honestly tho, lol if you get shook by negative youtube comments

like do you also melt down when your dog barks out the window too aggressively? or when a loud car drives by?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farg posted:

I dunno I think it's a bad environment for children or young people and you should try to have some level of empathy for that, the edge thing is kinda early 2000s.
Then children or young people should not be using it, this article is about neither.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Social media was a mistake.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
YouTubers are just like us, they wake up everg morning and wanna kill themselves too

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I had a good lol at these whiny babies when I read that article the other week. thanks for the reminder lowtax.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Siljmonster posted:

YouTubers are just like us, they wake up everg morning and wanna kill themselves too
They vlog about their pants one leg at a time.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
What a bunch of whiny cunts. gently caress em.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

this is a good post

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
It must be a moment of clarity when you look in the mirror one day and realise you don't give a poo poo if it will blend.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I am a youtube star and I'm extremely mentally ill so I can relate. It's hard coming up with quality content like what I think about the new comic book movie or a video of me opening a luxury item that was sent to me for free by the company that produces it. Contorting my face into grotesque shapes for video thumbnails has caused me to lose all sense of smell, taste, and 60% functionality of my right arm, among a host of other injuries and mental damages that have diminished my quality of life. I attempted to make the world's longest free throw and broke 16 bones in my body, most of them around my groin and rear end regions. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to eat the world's largest cupcake, and I truly believe that's where my story will come to an end

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I like how when I read engadget only 1/3rd of the page is the article, and the other 2/3rds is blank space where ads go. The ending of Akira except Tetsuo becomes a giant flash ad.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

amidst all of this, the one thing i'm comforted by is knowing the hydraulic press guy has to have pristine mental health

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Those poor lil' millionaires.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dean of Swing posted:

You think thats tough? I know some balding men in their 40s who are just now realizing that their hot-takes on Dark Souls don’t actually count as a legacy.

Lmao, you watch ParagonDS's videos too?

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
There are times when free speech is not so great. As a customer service pro I think a lot about mental health of some people.
The movie Idiocracy was too real. So called social media need a report button with the reason "offensively stupid content".

Edit: Many youtubers suffer only from extreme narcisism.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Lmao, you watch ParagonDS's videos too?

Gaming and Mental Health (w/hatemail)

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Terrific Accident posted:

I am a youtube star and I'm extremely mentally ill so I can relate. It's hard coming up with quality content like what I think about the new comic book movie or a video of me opening a luxury item that was sent to me for free by the company that produces it. Contorting my face into grotesque shapes for video thumbnails has caused me to lose all sense of smell, taste, and 60% functionality of my right arm, among a host of other injuries and mental damages that have diminished my quality of life. I attempted to make the world's longest free throw and broke 16 bones in my body, most of them around my groin and rear end regions. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to eat the world's largest cupcake, and I truly believe that's where my story will come to an end
Is it too much to ask that when I make videos of myself applying mascara that was given to me so I could make a free ad for the company and earn hundreds of thousands of dollars, that people just don't make negative comments about it? I mean, don't you think I should be above everybody else on the internet who receives criticism? Please, think about my mental health before you click the thumbs down.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I hate most youtubers

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I just use YouTube to occasionally find and watch specific things. I can't even wrap my mind around actually knowing any of its users by name.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Lowtax posted:

Is it too much to ask that when I make videos of myself applying mascara that was given to me so I could make a free ad for the company and earn hundreds of thousands of dollars, that people just don't make negative comments about it? I mean, don't you think I should be above everybody else on the internet who receives criticism? Please, think about my mental health before you click the thumbs down.

Well stop doing the mascara videos over and over and do one where you open the box of mascara (I think that's an unboxing video) or try a new brand cigarettes or put on a shoe or something and maybe I won't make you sad with my thumbs down.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My grand theory of everything is we are in the era of humans harvesting humans. For their physical labors, their mental capacities and any outputs that are purely human and not necessarily connected to natural resources. Capitalism and communism alike cannot accommodate the plight of the Youtuber.

edit: Please follow my Youtube Channel if you need the ins and outs of this theory.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Naptime hustle :haw:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Burnt out at 19." She discussed how, despite having her dream job, she simply wasn't content. "My life just changed so fast," Mills said in the video. "My anxiety and depression keeps getting worse and worse. This is all I ever wanted, and why the gently caress am I so unfucking unhappy? It doesn't make any sense. It's so stupid. It is so stupid."

Haha :capitalism:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the psychological stress of not saying the n-word is too great for most youtubers to bear

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Tetracube posted:

the psychological stress of not saying the n-word is too great for most youtubers to bear
It's almost as irresistible as a corpse in a suicide forest... I mean, honestly, how are you expect to NOT video record that and upload it? Man was never born with willpower strong enough.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Yeah I seen YouTube. It's cool

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What i always wonder is who the hell goes on youtube and deliberately watches a 10 minute video of someone talking to their webcam? The couple of times I inadvertantly started watching a vlog style video I was so bored I couldn't even go back to enjoying good videos for the rest of the day

What I'm saying here is won't somebody think of the emotional stress put on the viewers of these terrible videos?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Farg posted:

Haha, good one

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I hope that guy who makes videos of himself cracking open and attempting to eat really old military rations isn't suffering from severe mental illness. Maybe he's trying to give himself botulism before he has to start taking money from Squarespace to survive.

"Let's get this out onto a tray. Nice. I can't get this bulging can of old pecan roll open so I'm just going to lick the rim and see what happens. Eugh. Agh. Tastes like rust. And pecan. Squarespace. We're website."

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's so hard to work every day to survive, yes, I agree. Welcome to life, children.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
Just a small donation of 10 dollars will help me argue that playing video games all day IS a real job, Mom. Stop asking me when I'm going to move out it's a lot harder than it was back in your day.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My wife told me the little Asian kid who opens toys given to him for free by the manufacturers makes like $40k a day

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Can I trade problems with these guys? gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Lowtax posted:

Then children or young people should not be using it, this article is about neither.

check again, garbanzo

• Locked thread