Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Glad Octopath is looking good. It seems like a pretty relaxing game from what ive played so far, and I could use something slow paced right now.

Also I'm a man of my word, im gonna give Fortnite an honest try now that it has gyros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Capitan Todd tonight at Midnight EST?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

Motion controls doesn't fix Fortnite from being bad though.

Fortnite was already extremely fun and cool before the gyro update

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doingitwrong posted:

This is a problem that is utterly solved in Western RPGs and apparently still a complete mystery to JRPGs. But that split has been going on since the 90s.

It's not utterly solved at all, it's often handled extremely poorly by western RPGs. I played the Mass Effect, I know.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fortnite is great and some the most entertaining multiplayer I’ve had with friends in years. It loving rules that I can play with my friends that only have Xbox.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What do you guys think is the better system the 3DS or DS?

3DS. DS had a lot of good stuff but there was also a lot of unnecessary gimmick stuff with a lot of games back then when people weren’t sure what to do with 2 screens and the touch screen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The one I've been using is named "Near Chansagh Waste" is that correct?

Oh also I could swear I was at level 4 affinity with Dagas and last night I finished his quest and suddenly he was at level two? Did he reset as a blade somehow by defeating his quest? That never happened before

PS gently caress you Ursula your quest and your unlock requirements are loving bullshit

That's the one! Dagas actually has two Affinity charts. One before you do his quest, and the real one that unlocks after you do it. He's a bit weird.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What do you guys think is the better system the 3DS or DS?

Wait, until you get a load of the 4DS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Silver Falcon posted:

That's the one! Dagas actually has two Affinity charts. One before you do his quest, and the real one that unlocks after you do it. He's a bit weird.

Do I get to keep the rewards I had already unlocked? If so, are the ones I didn't gone forever?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Hey Switch thread, what are the best indie games that you'd recommend? I'm currently deciding between (barring any other recommendations):

- Hollow Knight
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Yoku's Island Express

The only Metroid game I ever played was Metroid Fusion, by the way. The Metroidvania genre does interest me, but I also love chill games too. I'm not that big into JRPGs or anything like that. What are your favorite indie games on the Switch and what would you recommend? Thanks everyone!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stolf Gory

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

DalaranJ posted:

This was really great in Bravely Second. But having to pick 4 characters from 8 will make me anxious that I’m missing good combinations.

Well, I guess this might be something to boost replayability or word of mouth then.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah no western rpgs haven't solved a damned thing

They just feel like disjointed narratives made of a bunch of plug and play parts, it's always terrible and I'm surprised to hear someone speak highly of those storytelling techniques. I hate how generic every single wrpg is, no character or spice at all, with few exceptions like new Vegas of course

At the end of the day I guess rpgs in general suck for storylines but often excel at setting or atmosphere

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Do I get to keep the rewards I had already unlocked? If so, are the ones I didn't gone forever?

It's all the same except for the field skills.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Hey Switch thread, what are the best indie games that you'd recommend? I'm currently deciding between (barring any other recommendations):

- Hollow Knight
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Yoku's Island Express

The only Metroid game I ever played was Metroid Fusion, by the way. The Metroidvania genre does interest me, but I also love chill games too. I'm not that big into JRPGs or anything like that. What are your favorite indie games on the Switch and what would you recommend? Thanks everyone!

you posted in the Switch thread, now you're legally obligated to get Hollow Knight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Regy Rusty posted:

It's all the same except for the field skills.

Well gently caress building all that up again I'm gonna just make a love source and equip him and someone else who's low to Rex. I just got the Theory cube maybe I'll put her on there. Haven't decided who I'm going to bond get with yet. All my non Rex drivers have exactly five unique blades. I feel she maybe should go with Praxis, but not sure.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Your Computer posted:

you posted in the Switch thread, now you're legally obligated to get Hollow Knight

Will I like the game if I have only ever played maybe two Metroids in my lifetime? Also, I wasn't a big fan of Dark Souls

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Jonny_Rocket posted:

- Hollow Knight
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Yoku's Island Express

Night in the Woods, Golf Story, Minit

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Yoku's is my favorite I've played on here and definitely my top recommendation for any casual fans of pinball and/or metroids. Awesome soundtrack and really fun gameplay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yoku sounds the most chill out of the ones you listed

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Will I like the game if I have only ever played maybe two Metroids in my lifetime? Also, I wasn't a big fan of Dark Souls
I don't think you need to have played any Metroid to enjoy this (it's not a Metroid game it's better). It's also not Dark Souls.

It's just very, very, very good.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Night in the Woods, Golf Story, Minit
wait when did Minit come to the Switch?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

wait when did Minit come to the Switch?

They must be time-travelling from later this year :D

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hollow Knight isn’t better than any 2D Metroid.:smug:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SeANMcBAY posted:

You're wrong

It's better than all but Super

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

THE loving MOON posted:

Glad Octopath is looking good. It seems like a pretty relaxing game from what ive played so far, and I could use something slow paced right now.

Also I'm a man of my word, im gonna give Fortnite an honest try now that it has gyros.

It probably depends on your starting character. I started with Tressa, since I love Scrooge McDuck, and I'm just chainsawing through encounters right now: Most battles are over in less then five seconds, it's great!

Now I'm hoping as I grow stronger, that I'll always be able to cheese every combat like this. OctoTrav plays so far like turn-based on drugs: Still relaxing, but also incredibly fast! :v:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SeANMcBAY posted:

3DS. DS had a lot of good stuff but there was also a lot of unnecessary gimmick stuff with a lot of games back then when people weren’t sure what to do with 2 screens and the touch screen.

I find that the DS had the quantity of good titles, but lacked games that truly stand out amongst the best of their genres.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Not a Children posted:

You're wrong

It's better than all but Super

Eh? So we're implying that Zero Mission is not better than Super? Because I disagree. I'd even hold that Fusion is better than Super, but that's more of a controversial opinion.

Super Metroid is great but there's a lot of jank in it. Fusion and Zero Mission take it, remove the jank, and throw in some truly devilish Shinespark puzzles. They're great. I liked them both a lot more than Super.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone who plays fortnite have opinions if the battle pass is worth it? I don't really love the game but the metagame treasure hunt objectives seem neat and it looks like you can get enough funbucks to buy another pass if you unlock enough levels. Does it feel like a grind, and can I reasonably expect to unlock most of the stuff with casual play?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Super Metroid? More like Super Mediocre :smugbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Over There posted:

wtf was that Zelda update?

There are lots of cool places you can go to in Zelda.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone who plays fortnite have opinions if the battle pass is worth it? I don't really love the game but the metagame treasure hunt objectives seem neat and it looks like you can get enough funbucks to buy another pass if you unlock enough levels. Does it feel like a grind, and can I reasonably expect to unlock most of the stuff with casual play?

I dont know, but I think I'm going to buy it tonight and find out

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wow, big fan of NES Metroid, posting over here.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Manky posted:

They must be time-travelling from later this year :D

Yeah whoops, I thought the Switch port was out already. Anyway buy that once it's out.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont know, but I think I'm going to buy it tonight and find out

Yeah I'll probably check it out too. I know the free levels take forever to work up, so I wasn't sure how the paid poo poo was compared to that. Start of a new season and gyro added, and it's just :tenbux: so why not?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Fortnite is like half a game without the battle pass. You're already running around the map most of the time anyway, but now you have little objectives while you're doing it. And unlocking things is fun.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

So last season was my first battlepass and really the first time Fortnite clicked for me. (Had played it on PC before switch, was meh about it.) I found that the battlepass weekly challenges really added a new dimension to playing, and made me get into it a lot more. Gave me a reason to start it up and try new things, stuff like that.

It doesn't really feel like a grind, mostly it's stuff to keep in mind while you're dropping and picking locations. BUT some of the harder challenges might require grinding to get - before this season ended I had only had two left total and spent probably 10 hours playing until I got them done. (Trap elimination and three storm circles, if anyone wondered.) You won't get that far in the battlepass with purely casual play, but like I said, I find it a lot of fun going for challenges.

The potential to get more vbucks than you put in is pretty excellent too.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

The place you want is at the Chansagh Waste. Salvage Mastery would probably help? I don't think you need to fail the button prompts or anything.

you have to fail the button prompts and it has to be either day or night but I forget which. I think day. I got it in a couple tries once I had all the conditions right.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Manky posted:

So last season was my first battlepass and really the first time Fortnite clicked for me. (Had played it on PC before switch, was meh about it.) I found that the battlepass weekly challenges really added a new dimension to playing, and made me get into it a lot more. Gave me a reason to start it up and try new things, stuff like that.

It doesn't really feel like a grind, mostly it's stuff to keep in mind while you're dropping and picking locations. BUT some of the harder challenges might require grinding to get - before this season ended I had only had two left total and spent probably 10 hours playing until I got them done. (Trap elimination and three storm circles, if anyone wondered.) You won't get that far in the battlepass with purely casual play, but like I said, I find it a lot of fun going for challenges.

The potential to get more vbucks than you put in is pretty excellent too.

Now that the challenges don't have to be completed during a particular season it makes it even better. I'd say that if you've played the game and enjoyed it, the least you can do is throw them $10 and try one season.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

KingSlime posted:

They just feel like disjointed narratives made of a bunch of plug and play parts, it's always terrible and I'm surprised to hear someone speak highly of those storytelling techniques. I hate how generic every single wrpg is, no character or spice at all

truckpump.txt

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

Now that the challenges don't have to be completed during a particular season it makes it even better.

That's just for the "progressive" challenges I think, like the XP earned to unlock outfit options. Right? I believe the weekly challenges all still need to be done within the season. Still a great change and I def agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

KingSlime posted:

They just feel like disjointed narratives made of a bunch of plug and play parts, it's always terrible and I'm surprised to hear someone speak highly of those storytelling techniques. I hate how generic every single wrpg is, no character or spice at all, with few exceptions like new Vegas of course

At the end of the day I guess rpgs in general suck for storylines but often excel at setting or atmosphere

Try playin good WRPGs (though New Vegas is one of the best)

• Locked thread