Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Eraserhead is one of Criterion’s best releases ever. It helps that Lynch is so hands-on with releases of his films.

He’s probably the only director other than Don Hertzfeldt that has personally designed and authored a DVD release. Not to mention he almost always does his own sound design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If the history of snubs and unearned wins wasn’t already enough, the anonymous comments that trickle out each year should be enough to convince anyone with half a brain that the Oscars are a joke.

It has always been a PR stunt, it has never been anything else. George C Scott was right.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If the history of snubs and unearned wins wasn’t already enough, the anonymous comments that trickle out each year should be enough to convince anyone with half a brain that the Oscars are a joke.

I feel like that can be said about most awards. Instead of celebrating great works, we try to put them in a competition that means nothing. Especially when you end up with vastly different genres in the same category.

And then if something that isn't huge wins, people complain.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I picked up Barry Lyndon, Gimme Shelter, M, and David Lynch: The Art Life the other day. First Criterions I've bought in five or six years.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

For the record, there’s an Indiegogo campaign going on here to restore four films by Criterion filmmaker Jean Painlevé. These underwater documentary/avant-garde art pieces are scarier than any horror film ever made.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I'm not a Bergman guy by any means but jeez

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1017489085609512960

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello can someone please give me hundreds of dollars and a region-free blu-ray player

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

I was seriously thinking about grabbing Persona at the BN sale after work today, but reading this I might just wait until the next one and grab the set? Because this looks rad as hell

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

:eyepop:

I knew there was a reason I haven't upgraded most of my Bergman films to blu-ray yet

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I am allllll over that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
drat, what am I going to do with the Bergmans I already bought on Bluray? :smith:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Jesus, and I just got the Olympic Films box set. Why does Criterion have such a hard on for my wallet? I guess I'll try and get it on sale next year because I already spent way more money on Criterions this year than I wanted to.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VoodooXT posted:

drat, what am I going to do with the Bergmans I already bought on Bluray? :smith:

Sell them all individually and you'll easily afford the set with the profits.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Those types of sets are cooler in theory than they are in practice.

I like individual presentations myself.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Those types of sets are cooler in theory than they are in practice.

I like individual presentations myself.

If it has all the stuff from the films' individual releases I'm cool with it, especially since there's a ton of new stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If it has all the stuff from the films' individual releases I'm cool with it, especially since there's a ton of new stuff.

The price is baller but the packaging is just not my thing.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I don't even have that many Bergmans but that set will free up so much shelf space.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

:vince:

I might actually just order it from Criterion directly. $240 for 39 films with supplements and a coffee table book is cheap. That comes out to just over $6 per movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has the Olympic set for only $148, but only for a few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/Years-Olympi...L70_&dpSrc=srch

They really want to poach those wallets heading over to B&N

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Good lord that Bergman box. I own a ton of his stuff and still want it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Godard's Weekend was some crazy poo poo y'all, even having seen every previous feature he made beforehand.

The Dziga Vertov Group period approaches me, like an assassin in the night...

The price is baller but the packaging is just not my thing.
Yeah that's how I kind of feel about these sorts of sets. The convenience and price (Relative to buying each film individually) are fantastic, but it makes each individual film feel, Idk, more impersonal.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 13, 2018

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The difficulty of the Dziga Vertov Group films is relatively overblown imo, and certainly not helped by the fact that they pretty much existed as samizdat outside of theatrical screenings until recently or that they are intentionally politically provocative to English audiences. If anything I had a harder time with Numero Deux and Comment ça va

Be sure not to skip Le gai savoir, it sort of sets the agenda for a lot of ideas pursued after 68. The new Kino blu is gorgeous

Also read this http://www.diagonalthoughts.com/?p=1620

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Which reminds me, it's criminal that The Hour of the Furnaces hasn't got a Criterion release yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

The difficulty of the Dziga Vertov Group films is relatively overblown imo, and certainly not helped by the fact that they pretty much existed as samizdat outside of theatrical screenings until recently or that they are intentionally politically provocative to English audiences. If anything I had a harder time with Numero Deux and Comment ça va

Be sure not to skip Le gai savoir, it sort of sets the agenda for a lot of ideas pursued after 68. The new Kino blu is gorgeous

Also read this http://www.diagonalthoughts.com/?p=1620
Yeah Le Gai Savior is on my list to watch as well. I'll make sure to read that article too.

I'll primarily be working off of that Godard + Gorrin blu-ray set from Arrow Films that came out earlier this year (Which I suppose means I'm technically off-topic for the Criterion thread but oh well), and adding whatever I need to as I go on.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has the Olympic set for only $148, but only for a few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/Years-Olympi...L70_&dpSrc=srch

They really want to poach those wallets heading over to B&N

And it's sold out. drat, that was about $50 less than what I paid. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm in San Antonio for work and I think I found the best B&N video section in the world. They literally had every in-print Criterion on Blu-ray and DVD. Ended up just getting In the Mood for Love and Love Streams.

They also had a ton of Arrow, Olive Signature, Kino, Shout/Scream Factory, etc. stuff. Also scared off someone from buying Salo. :v:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

MystOpportunity posted:

I know this is off-topic, but probably the best place to ask: a theater near me is doing a 26-film Bergman retrospective (with mostly new digital restorations). Have only ever seen Fanny and Alexander (loved) and Cries and Whispers (lukewarm, but should probably watch again). Which of these are must sees and which can I skip?

They’re showing Wild Strawberries, Summer Interlude, Smiles of a Summer Night, Secrets of Women, Summer with Monika, To Joy, Seventh Seal, Sawdust and Tinsel, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence, The Magician, Shame, The Virgin Spring, Hour of the Wolf, The Devil’s Eye, Scenes from a Marriage, Magic Flute, Persona, Passon of Anna, F&A, Cries and Whispers, The Touch, Autumn Sonata.

Some are more obvious than others, but any advice would be appreciated.

Are you talking about the Wexner Center in Columbus?

I saw where they were doing this, but I have been shamefully choosing the summer series at the Ohio Theatre instead.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm in San Antonio for work and I think I found the best B&N video section in the world. They literally had every in-print Criterion on Blu-ray and DVD. Ended up just getting In the Mood for Love and Love Streams.

They also had a ton of Arrow, Olive Signature, Kino, Shout/Scream Factory, etc. stuff. Also scared off someone from buying Salo. :v:

Which location? I might head out that way..

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kaujot posted:

Which location? I might head out that way..

The one by the airport.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

That's like the one in PDX where I'm at, literally every spine and every boxset.

On my second trip in they had two 3-shelf library wheelcarts full to the brim with stuff that had just been reordered.

Last week they were out of Midnight Cowboy blus, and when I went back there were 12.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So when's the next B+N sale after this one? December? Because I am totally squirrelling away cash to get that Bergman set at half price.

e: oh and have any of the rare Australians ordered from B+N this sale? Are you getting stung for GST?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

So when's the next B+N sale after this one? December? Because I am totally squirrelling away cash to get that Bergman set at half price.

I wonder if the Bergman box will be limited run only.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I wonder if the Bergman box will be limited run only.

Please don't say that I'm too poor to buy it right now

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sale or not, Criterion's pre-order price is a bargain.

The $240 cost is about $20 cheaper than buying all the separate releases available now (plus upcoming Virgin Spring and September's Scenes from a Marriage) at 50% off. And you get almost twice as many films and a coffee table book.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Sale or not, Criterion's pre-order price is a bargain.

The $240 cost is about $20 cheaper than buying all the separate releases available now (plus upcoming Virgin Spring and September's Scenes from a Marriage) at 50% off. And you get almost twice as many films and a coffee table book.

Yeah I'd jump on this but Criterion don't ship to Australia, and neither does Amazon anymore, because they threw a hissy fit about paying Australia tax. B+N are my only chance to really get it :(

E: goddamn Welles' Othello is ace. I think he's bested by Olivier for acting but this looks like a film-rear end film. Also how goddamn prescient is Iago in a post-gamergate society lmao

What I'm trying to say is Cassio is a straight up soyboy

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 13, 2018

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are you talking about the Wexner Center in Columbus?

I saw where they were doing this, but I have been shamefully choosing the summer series at the Ohio Theatre instead.

Man, I don't check the Wexner Center's listings often enough. Thanks for sharing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This year’s Venice Film Festival is screening Some Like It Hot and Death in Venice as new restorations by Criterion

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I wish Crouching Tiger was on Criterion :sigh:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wish Crouching Tiger was on Criterion :sigh:

It's one of Sony's Supreme Cinema releases, which is basically a Criterion without the "C" logo:
https://www.amazon.com/Crouching-Ti...L70_&dpSrc=srch

4K remaster, two commentaries, deleted scenes, making-of, interviews, trailer, and I think it even has a booklet and is in a Criterion style case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

It's one of Sony's Supreme Cinema releases, which is basically a Criterion without the "C" logo:
https://www.amazon.com/Crouching-Ti...L70_&dpSrc=srch

4K remaster, two commentaries, deleted scenes, making-of, interviews, trailer, and I think it even has a booklet and is in a Criterion style case.

Looks good, except for that cover art...and also Criterion blu menus are quite lovely and well designed