Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Each section has its own isolated network. The green layers overlap, but the orange logistics sections do not. I limit each network to about 25 of each bot and refill of they drop below 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I got what I think is a workable solution.

I'm using the on_nth_tick event and running once a second, which I think should be fine. This isn't a building that the player is likely to plant hundreds of. It's a modified assembler with a fixed recipe that turns "timber" into raw wood. On each event cycle it checks the assembler input and if there's less than 5 timber and the machine has power it will look for a tree within its area of effect. If the tree gives raw wood, it will then destroy that tree and add an equal amount of timber to itself, which is then processed at a rate of 1 timber to 1 raw wood per second.

If it can't find any trees it will remove itself from the index of machines, and if a machine is no longer valid because it's been destroyed or mined it's also removed from the index.

Published on the mod hub: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WoodHarvester

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 8, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I just want to take a moment to appreciate this item name. Modding can be a pretty wild ride!

(The mod, by the way.)

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I got what I think is a workable solution.

I'm using the on_nth_tick event and running once a second, which I think should be fine. This isn't a building that the player is likely to plant hundreds of. It's a modified assembler with a fixed recipe that turns "timber" into raw wood. On each event cycle it checks the assembler input and if there's less than 5 timber and the machine has power it will look for a tree within its area of effect. If the tree gives raw wood, it will then destroy that tree and add an equal amount of timber to itself, which is then processed at a rate of 1 timber to 1 raw wood per second.

If it can't find any trees it will remove itself from the index of machines, and if a machine is no longer valid because it's been destroyed or mined it's also removed from the index.

Published on the mod hub: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WoodHarvester

Good solution (the only crack in the seams I see is potential stray timber, but whatcha gonna do?) I totally forgot about fixed_recipe!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah if you mine the building you might get some spare timber in your inventory, but you can just place a harvester and put it back in to turn it to raw wood. There are a few bugs, but none that are really breaking. If you have other mods that modify trees to drop more than just wood, the harvester will happily ignore that and just give wood anyway.

There's an edge case where if you have a tree that doesn't give raw wood (which shouldn't happen unless you have other mods loving with the trees), the harvester will probably get stuck trying to harvest that tree over and over.

The building doesn't show the area it affects when you build it, because that property is only available on mining drills

And the model is just a recolored Assembler. :)

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

necrotic posted:

Each section has its own isolated network. The green layers overlap, but the orange logistics sections do not. I limit each network to about 25 of each bot and refill of they drop below 5.

I have ~20 roboport long rail trunks that have a maximum of 1k of each bot. Perhaps I'm overkilling it a bit after they're built.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I could definitely make the networks bigger, but I like having only one blueprint to spam.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

I just want to take a moment to appreciate this item name. Modding can be a pretty wild ride!

(The mod, by the way.)

That's not... strictly incorrect, if you pulverized it into granules it would exhibit fluid properties while remaining a solid.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK so I'm trying to increase my research production. And I like trains. So I've got a research factory at my main base, fed from a bus, that with yellow assemblers produces 2.5 research per second (10 red, 12 green, 24 blue, 10 military, 14 production, 14 high-tech). I'm duplicating that offsite and training in the beakers. Red, Green, Blue, and High-Tech are easy, everything uses those. I can use a wait until full, leave when empty train order. Production would probably be fine because I'm mostly researching miner drills so I'm mostly using production. But military is a problem because I won't use it often, but when I do I want to use it at the same full capacity. If I have multiple trains waiting until they're empty with military supplies, they'll eventually back up and block everything.

So a few ideas, wondering what people think:
1) Don't use separate trains, put all the beakers into one train (limiting the slots) and having it wait until full and then leave if it runs out of any of the beakers
2) A beaker depot with enough queing capacity that all my outposts will send beakers to before they bring them back to my main research base
3) Build a research outpost with the exact number of labs to consume 2.5 research per second, for each set of research factories I build, and use regular full/empty orders
4) Some way of activating the military and production train stations only when they're needed, so unneeded loads will wait at the production site. 1 train at a time should be fine, I guess I doubt I'll get to a point where my factory will consume 8000 beakers (one car load) before another one can be dispatched.

Any other ideas?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

FISHMANPET posted:

OK so I'm trying to increase my research production. And I like trains. So I've got a research factory at my main base, fed from a bus, that with yellow assemblers produces 2.5 research per second (10 red, 12 green, 24 blue, 10 military, 14 production, 14 high-tech). I'm duplicating that offsite and training in the beakers. Red, Green, Blue, and High-Tech are easy, everything uses those. I can use a wait until full, leave when empty train order. Production would probably be fine because I'm mostly researching miner drills so I'm mostly using production. But military is a problem because I won't use it often, but when I do I want to use it at the same full capacity. If I have multiple trains waiting until they're empty with military supplies, they'll eventually back up and block everything.

So a few ideas, wondering what people think:
1) Don't use separate trains, put all the beakers into one train (limiting the slots) and having it wait until full and then leave if it runs out of any of the beakers
2) A beaker depot with enough queing capacity that all my outposts will send beakers to before they bring them back to my main research base
3) Build a research outpost with the exact number of labs to consume 2.5 research per second, for each set of research factories I build, and use regular full/empty orders
4) Some way of activating the military and production train stations only when they're needed, so unneeded loads will wait at the production site. 1 train at a time should be fine, I guess I doubt I'll get to a point where my factory will consume 8000 beakers (one car load) before another one can be dispatched.

Any other ideas?

Maybe too simple but just a separate line entirely for the military beakers, so the military train(s) can wait without causing a problem?
Or empty or inactivity orders at the unload site on the military science trains and they'll run in pointless circles but won't block anything permanently.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Are you only using one train station to feed your science base?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Galvanik posted:

Are you only using one train station to feed your science base?

Um, research labs are at my home base, I currently have a platform for each type of research. But it's all in a small area and if I had two trains going to a single station it'd all backup.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Filter the cells on the wagons to holy hold science packs in the right ratio. Unload the science train to active provider chests via filter stack inserter. Have a bunch of storage chests each filtered with different science packs. Each filter stack inserter is set to only pull one color with a filter to only work when # of that pack in storage is less than some number, like 2000. Train departs the science outlost when full and departs the lab when inactive.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
You could make an intermediate parking area like this

Close the signal to each beaker train station depending on how much of that beaker you currently have at the train station, then the trains will wait at the parking area until you are running out and resupply you.

Edit: changed the image, used the wrong one at first.

Joiny fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 13, 2018

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

IMO this is the cleanest way to do it - have separate stations for each, and only activate them if there's demand for those goods. This is inherently an over-supply scenario, same as when you're producing more copper ore (as an example) than your factory needs at that moment.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Joiny, it makes me tremendously happy that you color-code your trains to match the ore they're carrying. :)

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

everybody doesn't do that?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

crabrock posted:

everybody doesn't do that?

No, mine are all black because I like black. I set them up to basically be fire and forget.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I color code too, but run out of colors because I pretty much only do shades where I can move sliders to minimum or maximum.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

they key is that shift right click + shift left click on locomotives copies color as well as schedule, so once you set up one you can copy it over to the others really easy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

crabrock posted:

they key is that shift right click + shift left click on locomotives copies color as well as schedule, so once you set up one you can copy it over to the others really easy.

...YOU CAN DO THAT? holy crap that's great.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...YOU CAN DO THAT? holy crap that's great.

that works to copy + paste almost everything. requester chest filters, wagon train filters, assembler/refinery/chem plant recipes, decider combinators, filter inserters, etc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
This changes everything.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I used to color-code trains but now all of my trains are the same color because I started using LTN, so who knows what they're carrying at any given time.

I set up a little copy-paste locomotive pair next to a short bit of track that I use to inject more trains into the rail network, one that gets sent to the solids depot, and one that goes to the fluids depot. Put down a new train, connect the appropriate wagons, copy, paste, launch. It works out really well.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

I love color coding my trains, if anyone doesn't know you can find the color codes here: https://dddgamer.github.io/factorio-cheat-sheet/#train-colors

and there's a mod here that does it automatically: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Train_Ore_Color

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I got off my rear end and worked on updating one of my old mods. If you're interested in infinite ore but vanilla balanced (in my opinion anyway, and it still needs tweaking):

Underground mining drills

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I like this idea, keep at it! Too bad my current map already mined out all the stone in a 5 mile radius...

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Chunjee posted:

I like this idea, keep at it! Too bad my current map already mined out all the stone in a 5 mile radius...

Well there is a regeneration option, though it doesn't interact well with alternate generation mods like RSO. You can try the command
code:
remote.call("underground-mining","regenerate","all")
It will hang for a while and may crash if you have a particularly big map; it works by saving every resource entity to a temporary table, deleting them from the map, telling Factorio to re-create them from mapgen data, running the "generate ores" routine, deleting the newly [re]generated surface resources, and then manually restoring them from the table). When I wrote this, Factorio did the "regenerate from mapgen" thing only on an entire surface at a time. Now it lets you do so for a smaller area, so I will be rewriting this function at some point to do this more efficiently memory-wise, because on a big map Lua might choke. And it'd probably be nice to stagger the generation for the players' sake, too.

I was also poking at this lately and realized I messed up in the math somewhere, so underground resources are showing up at much lower richnesses than intended. I don't have time to address it just yet but if you test this right now be aware that underground mining on a freshly tapped patch in the starting area is intended to be something like two or three times better.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I am very bothered by the fact that High-Tech beakers take 14 seconds to make when they should take 15 seconds to make, since that fits more appropriately with every ratio of production for their ingredients.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, somehow the Factorio crew made Artillery even sexier. They got a sound guy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Way to bury the lede on the map editor being turned into something you can use on the fly in games. In other words you can basically turn on a sandbox mode in your game, do some poo poo up to nearly anything that can exist can be plopped or ticking the simulation forward once per button press, then turn the sandbox mode off and go back to being a dude.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I updated the wood harvester mod I made earlier, now it harvests tree closest to itself first, sorts properly in the recipe list, and doesn't crash when you add it to an already existing game. :)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I shared my savegame on A_Raving_Loons discord. He just started a bobangels run. Takes a very unoptimized but wizard lime approach to the game. I figgured if I was gonna be vulnerable and share to a discord with a patreon price tag I could share with you guys as well.

I present a snapshot of a AngelsBobs modded game up to the first tier of science. Loading another person's save is like hopping into an alternate dimension. It's kinda fun sometimes.

A google drive from the internet

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Every single time I play this game I end up with the same bottleneck - Plastic (and by extention red circuits and everything you need red circuits for). I need to sit down and figure out why at some point, but I find it a lot harder to troubleshoot problems involving fluids. I always find it odd because I've watched a fair amount of other people playing this game and plastic never seems like a particularly big problem. I'm currently working on beaconing up my oil refinery and processing area, but that's a problem because I don't have enough plastic and modules take a lot.

It might just be a scale thing. Assuming no issues with throughput in various oil systems and not taking cracking into account, roughly how many refineries would be needed to generate the raw material to saturate a blue belt of plastic? Also need to investigate coal processing as a I have a huge surplus that's only going to grow I switch to nuclear power and possibly electric furnaces.

Well, that's my thinking-out-loud-about-factorio-at-work post of the day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Petroleum gas is always a bottleneck as soon as you move into oil. If you have a lot of oil spots, build lots of refineries. If you're limited, research advanced oil processing, which will give you a better gas ratio. I do 2-3 refineries per game, getting one plastic factory to spit them out as fast as possible and that's good enough for a full playthrough. The crazy experts here will probably do two plastics factories and a minimum four oil refineries.

If you're hitting a wall on red chips, speed modules and blue chips are going to blow your mind. Again, I'm on the small side of things and I run maybe 7-8 red chip factories full blast.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

An oil tip for small-timers when they first get refineries up and running: just stack a bunch of fluid depots for each of the three fluid types so the refinery can work and fill them up while you set up your production lines.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

i say swears online posted:

Petroleum gas is always a bottleneck as soon as you move into oil. If you have a lot of oil spots, build lots of refineries. If you're limited, research advanced oil processing, which will give you a better gas ratio. I do 2-3 refineries per game, getting one plastic factory to spit them out as fast as possible and that's good enough for a full playthrough. The crazy experts here will probably do two plastics factories and a minimum four oil refineries.

If you're hitting a wall on red chips, speed modules and blue chips are going to blow your mind. Again, I'm on the small side of things and I run maybe 7-8 red chip factories full blast.

Current factory is a bit past all that. I tend to start with 8 refineries and expand in blocks of 8 from there after I get power sorted out (nuclear or massive solar). I'm already producing all modules and blue chips and while the wall is red circuits (24 factories, but not moduled and beaconed yet) it's specifically plastic that is the issue, as all other resources for red circuits (and blue and modules) I have a surplus of. That's why it always leaves me scratching my head. When I watch other people playing and they have a red circuit bottleneck it's usually Green Circuits/Copper that are the problem, or the just need more factories producing circuits, with plastic being a secondary issue. In general I always have a problems scaling up though. And while I'm here complaining about it, I actually enjoy these problems, you kind of have to to enjoy the game.

e: reading up about some of this I think I need to look closer at fluid dynamics and how my pipes are setup. I think my main problem is that even though I have enough oil, I'm not getting enough throughput to the refineries and I'm not sure why. I shall investigate further when I start my shift at the factory later.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 24, 2018

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

In my last game I had a problem with plastic shortages due to a few things so I'll lay them out here as to what I did:
I was short on oil because I was just piping it in from all over the map. To fix this I started importing it via train and added a bunch of storage tanks for oil.

I had too many refineries on the same 'pipe' so by the time the oil would hit the last refinery there wasn't enough. I just started making shorter rows of refineries, each row fed by a storage tank -> pump.

Pumps start to get very important at megabase levels of fluids, making sure that all producers (refineries, cracking) pump their products into tanks and then having dedicated pumps out of the tanks into production lines (plastic, weapons, etc) seemed to help throughput a lot.

In the same vein as the too many refineries on one pipe problem, I had the same issue with too many plastic producers on the same petrol line. So I made shorter rows of plastic producers being fed by their own pumps and tanks of petrol.

In order to make sure the tanks of petrol were kept full, I had to do some optimizing on the light oil -> petrol cracking lines, making sure to feed the petrol directly into each of the tanks of petrol going to plastic.

Don't try to feed all your petrol into one pipeline that feeds into a central tank and then all processing goes out of that one tank. At a certain point the pipe can't handle the throughput and you need multiple lines of petrol pipe. I found that daisy chaining the petrol tanks, having 1 input pump as overflow from the previous tank and 1 input pump from a cracking line, then 2 outputs, one to the next petrol tank and one to a line of plastic worked wonders for throughput. Of course you can make this even better by making circuit conditions on the pump, making sure not to have the overflow pump active unless there's >20k petrol in the tank and other such optimizations.

That was enough of an overhaul for me to make it to 1.2kSPM but my overall take is that I hope they rework fluid mechanics so that it's easier to understand where the problems lie. It feels much harder to diagnose because the limitation of the pipes and fluid pressure to me is not easily apparent.

Joiny fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 24, 2018

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Joiny posted:

In my last game I had a problem with plastic shortages due to a few things so I'll lay them out here as to what I did:

:words:

This all sounds very familiar and I'm pretty sure I'll have to do something similar to fix it, so thanks for the pointers. I'm already using circuit conditions to control the flow to various columns, but supect I may have to make a new refinery area as mine only has room for single beaconed columns, but could be interesting as I've been using the same basic setup for oil since forever.

Another problem I'm having is lack of water, especially outside of the starting area. Is this a known issue with the current version, I seem to recall reading something about it at some point? I don't fancy bringing water in by train, so might have to look for a mod that can add water or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The new map gen changed water behavior quite a bit. I found that with most settings as you move away from the starting area you'll find a lot more water ("a lot" being relative to what you started with). I find myself building near water for things that require it and then shipping whatever products out, managing water logistics is not something I'm into.