Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

good bye my money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Sad about dokka claymore. I baited so many people into that thing

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, I'm gonna miss the Claymore, but then again I take the smoke grenade 90% of the time anyway and now I've got another aggro option if I have Glaz and another smoke op on my team I guess.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I feel like smoke grenades are just a trap for me to just constantly cause my own death with them.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's flashbangs for me

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

That's flashbangs for me

I still super duper appreciate that they gave one operator a gadget that is literally just Working Flashbangs and everyone else can go gently caress themselves w/r/t reliable ones.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Seriously, I can never trust whether or not a flashbang will actually affect the person I throw it next to.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Javes posted:

Seriously, I can never trust whether or not a flashbang will actually affect the person I throw it next to.

Same issue here. I don't need them to be godlike but I need them to do literally anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Agoat posted:

Same issue here. I don't need them to be godlike but I need them to do literally anything.

They still have the issue where if any part of your hitbox is behind static geometry between you and the flashbang, it doesn't matter if you look straight at it you won't get flashed. Instead of fixing this they opted to make a single operator able to flash people and ignore the rest. Which makes it doubly stupid they're removing someone's useful gadget in favor of a useless one.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 11, 2018

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

They still have the issue where if any part of your hitbox is behind static geometry between you and the flashbang, it doesn't matter if you look straight at it you won't get flashed. Instead of fixing this they opted to make a single operate able to flash people and ignore the rest. Which makes it doubly stupid they're removing someone's useful gadget in favor of a useless one.

So if a flasbang can see the entire person it'll flash no matter what? Wtf

Orv
May 4, 2011

Agoat posted:

So if a flasbang can see the entire person it'll flash no matter what? Wtf

No you can look away from it in that case, but if your toe is behind say, the corner of a shelf in some room but the rest of you is visible and you look right at the grenade, it won't do poo poo.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

No you can look away from it in that case, but if your toe is behind say, the corner of a shelf in some room but the rest of you is visible and you look right at the grenade, it won't do poo poo.

Oh, so it's literally useless. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
More or less! (The technical situation is a little more complex than Will/will not flash but I would never ever rely on or expect regular flashes to do what they're supposed to.)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I've started using more smokes after I realized flash usually ends up being useless. Smoke on the other hand can be used both to distract and conceal. Just make sure you throw it at them and not in front of yourself or where you're going to walk to (unless you're Glaz sniping through).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn is this a free weekend or something. The sheer level of team killing today is bananas.

Also saw a pair of players hiding in the washer and dryer in the Oregon basement. Which I had never seen before

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lmao why the hell would you make IQ worse

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I just about lost my mind while watching an old video when I found out Capitao used to have frag grenades. I guess he was just far too strong.

tjones
May 13, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

I just about lost my mind while watching an old video when I found out Capitao used to have frag grenades. I guess he was just far too strong.

A lot of operators used to be awesome. OG Thermite had breaches and grenades. He was so good.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
capitao is to smoke grenades what ying is to flashbangs except he can also do straight up area denial. they are both very fun and engaging support operators that can move in and out of the action more fluidly than say valk or even echo without feeling as mindless as thatcher EMP spam

which btw letting echo dual wield drones turned out to be a surprisingly fun buff. the only thing left is to finally give us the dual pistol operator. its way too late to hide behind the "this doesn't fit our universe and will ruin immersion" excuse and there is a ton of potential to make a class like this way more interesting than simply left/right clicking to shoot

Agoat posted:

Oh, so it's literally useless. :(

the flash vs smoke debate is very much apples & oranges - except flashes are certainly the hardest to use of all the side-gadgets in the game imo

i've found flashes become consistently far more viable against competent players than claymores, which after a certain point act as little more than early warning alarms when destroyed (the kapkan effect)

meanwhile smokes/breaches are generally both great choices practically every round

but my favorite thing about flashes is that they are also very good for sound masking. this is why i always take them for Thermite because it really helps you both set the charge and breach easier - especially when there is a nerd trying to bandit trick you. i learned this by watching a diamond player that swore by exploiting the ear ringing effect as being more useful than the visible flash itself. ever since i have been using them this way to great effect and even if you burn them as decoys they are far more effective than single flash breaches. this is a big part of why i'm excited to use her with Dokk because she is actually Cav tier in regards to the headphones @100% volume meta

they also give you 3 of them. and if you bring a friend (that has them or not) staggered throws that bounce off the enviornment (mostly doorframes/walls/etc) are generally devestating to anchors that rely on burning the clock.

just don't let them get away with spray n praying when holding an angle while blind. it isn't much different than the age-old Counter-Strike tactics that should be ingrained in almost every experienced adult videogame player's brain by now

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Flashes are good provided you use them to suppress angles while you move into a more adventageous position, rather than trying to breach with them. Ying breaches are still just the best tho

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I can't speak for all the people who say they don't work but I use flashes liberally and haven't gotten a poor result, like rounding a corner I've flashed and dying because the flag didn't take on the guy rarely if ever happens to me. Like the poster above said a huge part of their usefulness is sound masking, allowing you to push. I'm also prepared for the other guy doing a lightning fast double 180°, a skill everyone should have mastered in the early 2000's with counter strike.

I haven't run into any "enemies' big toe was behind a one inch beam while they stared directly into the flash with a Clockwork Orange device holding their eyes open and their vision is fine" moments though tbh. Most brothers and sisters make some effort to turn around, though

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
More importantly, why would they give ANYTHING, no matter how minor, to Finka?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I guess because despite being an incredible attacker, she doesn't get played much according to their metrics?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Shockeh posted:

More importantly, why would they give ANYTHING, no matter how minor, to Finka?

They did tho They gave her a nerf :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The DEagle and French revolver are now good. :toot:

e; if the changes actually make it to live, obviously. :negative:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 12, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The DEagle and French revolver are now good. :toot:

Impossible.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Did I see an unironic tweet saying that the introduction of fink reduced average match time by three seconds. Because fuuuck you are reaching to try and make that poo poo a good decision if 3 whole seconds is your big pay off

tjones
May 13, 2005
I guess in the TTS you can enable a setting to now throw drones without immediately switching to cams. That's pretty awesome.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think the ps4 servers are down or having trouble, atm.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Bananana posted:

I think the ps4 servers are down or having trouble, atm.

https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/status/1017490695878250501

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Tank you

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the most logical decision of the entire mess is that Dokk's M14 is actually going to have recoil because it currently quite literally has had zero and i guess enough nerds finally figured that out for them to change it.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I have been away from siege for a long time, what have I missed and is planb/hard still alive?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

hard still plays but hasn't been back to the thread since quitting

other than that you missed the worst update of the game followed by the current fun and cool one with a great map

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

lohli posted:

I have been away from siege for a long time, what have I missed and is planb/hard still alive?

Aside from a few game breaking bugs you've missed nothing jon snow.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

tjones posted:

I guess in the TTS you can enable a setting to now throw drones without immediately switching to cams. That's pretty awesome.

Oh wow, that'll be a great setting, if/when it makes it to live! :getin: Since I don't know about you, but as an attacker I've previously gotten quite a few defenders to rush me (and die as a result) by throwing a drone out and immediately switching off cams to shoot them as they round the corner, expecting me to still be looking at my phone. And this will make it all the easier!

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

tjones posted:

oh my god this is an icredible change that will make mlg Xx_fuHrErScOper_xX jager mains die in droves

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thief posted:

the most logical decision of the entire mess is that Dokk's M14 is actually going to have recoil because it currently quite literally has had zero and i guess enough nerds finally figured that out for them to change it.
Guess I might go back to using the vert grip.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Thief posted:

other than that you missed the worst update of the game followed by the current fun and cool one with a great map

Do you mean he stopped playing siege or that he left ubi?

I hope he's ok :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thief posted:

It's good that Hard is still around :unsmith: