Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Hordes are good and fun. Kazan is the best of the good and fun hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Razing has problematic implications :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Well, they're hordes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jay Rust posted:

*converts culture of your post*

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
*hammers the native oppression policy*

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

*hits the literal genocide all natives in this province button*

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
*converts province through debates over there course of a couple years*

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And we haven't even touched on "Your religion is different I will fight you in the name of MY god" and be awarded for it. Or Imperialism and "gently caress you, my country is best and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The only just CB is the Flower Wars CB. Gods need human sacrifices, sorry man

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only moral way to play this game is by picking Dithmarschen every single time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And then do absolutely nothing and hope that nobody notices you.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there a way to make your vassals be more active in seeking claims? No matter how much I set their neighbors as rivals/hostile, they never seem to fabricate, and just keep the claims they had when I vassalized them until the expire, then never get new ones.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Is there a way to make your vassals be more active in seeking claims? No matter how much I set their neighbors as rivals/hostile, they never seem to fabricate, and just keep the claims they had when I vassalized them until the expire, then never get new ones.

You have to set the provinces as vital interest or whatever then they'll claim em

If you don't have cossacks i got no idea

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Senor Dog posted:

You have to set the provinces as vital interest or whatever then they'll claim em

If you don't have cossacks i got no idea

wait what

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Diplomatic_feedback

It is just easier to look at that page, but when you have that tab/menu open, left click on territories that you or your subjects dont own to set them as vital interests. If your subject can, they will fabricate claims on those provinces.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Grinning Goblin posted:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Diplomatic_feedback

It is just easier to look at that page, but when you have that tab/menu open, left click on territories that you or your subjects dont own to set them as vital interests. If your subject can, they will fabricate claims on those provinces.

Also do this in wars where you aren't the leader and you'll have a better chance of getting some provinces in the peace deal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

Also do this in wars where you aren't the leader and you'll have a better chance of getting some provinces in the peace deal.

It really helps to do this before the war starts. As soon as it kicks off all your deadbeat allies will vital-interest everything they think they can get (whether or not this is at all realistic for them to do) and cockblock you from doing it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, for whatever reason, probably to avoid some kind of exploits, you're not allowed to set provinces of vital interest when one of your war allies also has that province marked as of interest. So as soon as you get a CTA and are promised land, pause the game, mark out what you want, and as long as your war participation is reasonable and occupied those provinces yourself, the AI war leader will try to reward you with them. Other countries will also sometimes flip occupation to you.

But also, yes, using that feature will encourage your vassals to make claims on provinces you select.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In my experience they sometimes won't make claims even when you have valid provinces highlighted. I think it has something to do with ruler personality, which is kind of lovely.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, Diplomat vassals generally think they have better things to do with their diplomats and will take a long time to make any claims. Militarist vassals will claim anything withing reach whether you ask them to or not. The other three personality types will generally get around to making claims once you mark provinces as vital interest.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never played horde. Something about razing turns me off. I guess I just like numbers going up

I often play in Central Asia and end up with Russia invading me every 10 years, sending infantry stacks to siege random forts, and taking way too loving long to sign a peace treaty.
Playing as Kazan, invading them in 1445 and razing/giving to Yaroslavl all their provinces is cathartic.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason, probably to avoid some kind of exploits, you're not allowed to set provinces of vital interest when one of your war allies also has that province marked as of interest. So as soon as you get a CTA and are promised land, pause the game, mark out what you want, and as long as your war participation is reasonable and occupied those provinces yourself, the AI war leader will try to reward you with them. Other countries will also sometimes flip occupation to you.

But also, yes, using that feature will encourage your vassals to make claims on provinces you select.

It's because the AI will break alliance if you share too many provinces of vital interest so if you could add them at war you could essentially circumvent that system entirely.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The only moral way to play this game is by picking Dithmarschen every single time.

Fister Roboto posted:

And then destroy every crowned head of Europe, then the world

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Letho? Is that you? Though I guess a Witcher mod would be better in CKII.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried using the +40% ship capture NI on a custom nation and picked the fleet option for another +33(?)%. Granted I didn't have many fleet battles but I barely nabbed even a couple ships over centuries. I suppose almost doubling a 1% chance or whatever is still pretty unlikely. :sigh:

Anyway I had set up a custom AI nation near New Orleans with the siberian frontier bullshit and a 6/6/6 immortal queen (so they wouldn't be able to make their ruler a general and lose her). Once I explored the coast and looked at them they had of course somehow managed to lose their great ruler (probably pretender rebels), were horrendously behind in tech and had barely filled up any of their supercharged NI's at all. High American tech group is utter poo poo and desperately needs some buffs to help the AI like maybe sparkling fairies giving them a magical +1 institution growth in their capital even if they don't actually qualify for it or something. It should be fine since they're normally not in the game.

Still not good enough because republics can never have women in charge.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Poil posted:

I tried using the +40% ship capture NI on a custom nation and picked the fleet option for another +33(?)%. Granted I didn't have many fleet battles but I barely nabbed even a couple ships over centuries. I suppose almost doubling a 1% chance or whatever is still pretty unlikely. :sigh:

Anyway I had set up a custom AI nation near New Orleans with the siberian frontier bullshit and a 6/6/6 immortal queen (so they wouldn't be able to make their ruler a general and lose her). Once I explored the coast and looked at them they had of course somehow managed to lose their great ruler (probably pretender rebels), were horrendously behind in tech and had barely filled up any of their supercharged NI's at all. High American tech group is utter poo poo and desperately needs some buffs to help the AI like maybe sparkling fairies giving them a magical +1 institution growth in their capital even if they don't actually qualify for it or something. It should be fine since they're normally not in the game.

Still not good enough because republics can never have women in charge.
Yeah, I tried doing institutions modding but I'm an idiot and could never get it to work properly.

All I wanted was to force them to never spawn in Europe except for the renaissance and for high american to have spawn modifiers for it, but I still don't get why it don't work

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Letho? Is that you? Though I guess a Witcher mod would be better in CKII.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Too busy being an immoral pope to be moral. :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

which country's ideas are this?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there some kind of mod that makes boats more impactful? Like say making it so that boats can steal away almost all your trade even if you've got all the land.

I'd like to just not conquer anything but have a huge fleet that dominates trade in a not-decreasing-marginal-returns sort of way.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
tried to get a grenada game going. I want my saturday back.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you want to try an underdog, go Byzantine. There's dumb amounts of info on it because there's a certain subsection of EU players that fellate themselves on reforming the roman empire. Long story short, you do the usual things when starting a new country and then improve relations with Albania. Do not ask for an alliance for them until Ottomans declare war, then just attach your army to theirs which will be headed by 6/6/6 general Skanderbeg. Between supplying him men and Venice helping out, you should be able to get a peace deal.

Advanced technique is to peace out early by grabbing Edirne and a couple other not cored provinces, shifting control of the other conquered provinces over to Albania just before the deal is confirmed. They'll gladly give you your other cores back when they peace out.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sage Grimm posted:

there's a certain subsection of EU players that fellate themselves on reforming the roman empire

I love these guys.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reforming the Roman Empire actually owns if you do it as a pagan nation. Everyone knows that the true Rome is seated in Cuzco.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Sukhothai has the best map color and is therefore the best underdog. :eng101:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sage Grimm posted:

If you want to try an underdog, go Byzantine. There's dumb amounts of info on it because there's a certain subsection of EU players that fellate themselves on reforming the roman empire. Long story short, you do the usual things when starting a new country and then improve relations with Albania. Do not ask for an alliance for them until Ottomans declare war, then just attach your army to theirs which will be headed by 6/6/6 general Skanderbeg. Between supplying him men and Venice helping out, you should be able to get a peace deal.

Advanced technique is to peace out early by grabbing Edirne and a couple other not cored provinces, shifting control of the other conquered provinces over to Albania just before the deal is confirmed. They'll gladly give you your other cores back when they peace out.

In case anyone tries the sneaky bullshit strat, I have tried it more than once and every time AI Albania managed to eventually lose its war after I peaced out.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

which country's ideas are this?

A tiny OPM all alone in the north. It's been downgraded to 0.5RT as a placeholder since though, as before Dharma, they were going to be locked into a Republic that didn't allow re-elections, and now it's going to be a not-republic altogether.

E: It did also give them a CB on Monarchies though, so it wasn't just event paste. It also consequently gave Monarchies one on them :v:

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 15, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

In case anyone tries the sneaky bullshit strat, I have tried it more than once and every time AI Albania managed to eventually lose its war after I peaced out.

Third sneaky bullshit step is to take a loan or two buying up galleys so you can protect the crossing into modern day Turkey and conquer those provinces too. The bulk of Ottoman's army likes to try taking out Venice so it'll take them some time to march back.

Fourth sneaky bullshit step is to have an easy country already spied up if Ottomans decides to warn you shortly after losing (and being somewhat in debt, not great on manpower, high on war exhaustion, etc.).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can we make institution pops a little less random maybe? It really sucks when you play an Asian or African country and you've got Colonialism ready to spawn for decades and then it just suddenly goes to Spain or Portugal because lol Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think the game could do a better job of communicating where institutions are likely to fire. The current lists of trigger conditions only really let you know if you have a chance of spawning it in one of your provinces (it selects the likeliest through spooky means) or if you have no chance at all. It doesn’t really tell you much about whether you are likely to get it or not.