Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Matt is 100% a crying drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1016123641489051649

Matt updated the Cobalt Soul subclass based on feedback and the playtesting Beau's been doing. It looks much improved.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah it looks a lot better to me. Giving vulnerability is super useful though its high level means only very few players will ever get to do it. Set up for the wizard's disintegrate, and then even if they miss they can go for it later and land it with x2 damage.
I like the grave domain cleric's channel divinity to give vulnerability feature for the same reason, but this is sufficiently better because it's next damage of a type you choose and not just "next damage it takes."

Now it looks like something I might actually consider if I made a monk. Still room for improvement but it's much closer to where the other subclasses seem to be.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
This is absolutely fantastic. Same guy that did the theme they're using during the opening/fanart now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNkS1u29bw

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Gaz-L posted:

Matt is 100% a crying drunk.

Also the goodest boy:

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1016236116922384384

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I have watched Matthew Mercer cry in like three separate streams and I still can't believe he's real. He's whatever the exact opposite of toxic masculinity is. What an extraordinarily gentle man.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
His first fireside he teared up twice(?) or maybe just one long emotional release and it all just kind of came out of nowhere. He's the DM you never knew you needed until you get it.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Speaking of, aren't we getting another Fireside chat? They're always amazing.

Edit: oh god I didn't need to buy another shirt, critrole https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1016355021150085120

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I'm just catching up with things and halfway through Ep 24 and I just love the look of pride on so many of their faces when Jester asks Kiri if she stole the money and Kiri replies with "Go gently caress yourself." Everyone just looks and smiles at eachother like their kid has just come home boasting about their grades or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dameius posted:

His first fireside he teared up twice(?) or maybe just one long emotional release and it all just kind of came out of nowhere. He's the DM you never knew you needed until you get it.

I think Twitter or Reddit had been giving him poo poo about Tary's backstory

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oh boy, I can explain that. It was stupid.

Basic gist: Taryon Darrington, Sam's temporary replacement character while Scanlan took a mental health break, was gay. However, Tary was a very isolated guy who had only ever had one sexual experience (with a male tutor) and he'd been raised on adventuring stories where the hero was supposed to get the girl. Also his dad was a homophobic shithead. So Tary was honestly not sure of his sexuality at first and had told the party he was interested in rescuing ~damsels~ and all that jazz. The party and the audience found out that Tary was gay after a night out drinking where the group was attempting to teach Tary how to flirt with the female bartender. Tary was bad at it but ultimately ended up picking up someone else - who was also a woman. Tary was a little iffy when she dragged him off but Vex did a quick insight check and rolled well and Sam said Tary was "nervous but excited."

It was of course, a bust - Tary didn't have much fun with it and the next day when the party asked how it went, Tary said that women were lovely and "not for me." The party laughed and moved on. There was nothing wrong with the entire sequence. People experiment and discover themselves all the time, and nobody got hurt. Tary didn't enjoy himself but he seemed fine with the fact that it happened and the party pretty much just patted his shoulder and told him to be true to himself.

The fandom on the other hand was split on the subject. A large chunk of us saw ourselves in this experience - assuming we were straight just because we'd never had any evidence otherwise and because every story we'd ever read or watched or heard about said that if you're a girl, you date boys, and if you're a boy, you date girls, and that's the end of it, then finding out that whoops, upon further experimentation, this is not for me. The other chunk of the fandom, which I suspect were the younger fans who had grown up with more support for LGBT stories, felt the story was homophobic and Sam was lovely for forcing his gay character to sleep with a woman "for laughs." The debacle was also before Taliesin publicly came out as bisexual so there were accusations that a "fully straight cast" couldn't possibly understand LGBT stories well enough to tell them, which Matt rightfully pointed out was a mighty big assumption about the cast's personal lives.

Anyway, the whole thing was stupid and the cries of homophobia were utterly unwarranted in my opinion but fortunately that drama is long past.

Matt specifically cried while talking about the tragic death of a gay uncle he'd had, but that summary was why it came up in the Q&A at all.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I also remember him tearing up during the part where he was talking about how he had questioned his own sexuality growing up and then again with the burning man bracelets. But was that connected to his uncle? Its been awhile since I watched it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I don't remember about the bracelets but I think the former thing was definitely connected.

Matt also did a non-RPG related stream with Patrick Rothfuss and... someone else. It was a discussion about mental health and boy did that bring out the waterworks on Matt. That dude has lead a rough life that I've never heard him talk about anywhere else.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I assume we're in kind of a dead period while Laura and Travis get used to parent life, so I've missed the last two. Do I really need to see either of them?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The bracelet was because his family has a history of addiction so he went to Burning Man one year to do all the drugs to test himself and see what he can do and how he'd react to a situation where he could lose control. Then the morning after some burning man hippy either gave him the bracelet as a symbol of facing and conquering his demons or the guy pointed it out for the symbolism. I'm really pretty fuzzy on it right now, except for doing all the drugs at burning man and addiction in his family.

Edit: I'm butchering what was actually a really sweet story by him, and if any of you havent watched his fireside chats, you really should go see them.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 10, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I know he said on Reddit that he avoids weed because he had a bad experience with it (same), but Marisha smokes it to deal with her gigantic anxiety.

Other people who have met Matt and especially talked to him drunk at the ren fair confirm that he's a very sweet, sappy guy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I assume we're in kind of a dead period while Laura and Travis get used to parent life, so I've missed the last two. Do I really need to see either of them?

There was no session last week because the group is moving into their new digs. The week before that...well, it offers an in-game reason why we won't be seeing Laura and Travis' characters anytime soon.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There was no episode last week because they were moving studios. You should definitely watch the episode from the week before that though. Travis and Laura are gonna be out for awhile and Matt's figured out a way to keep the campaign going without them (and Ashley, since she's going back to New York).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
we're getting a shitload of guests

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

We will probably get a few Jester messages via Sending an episode, hopefully.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Grinning Goblin posted:

We will probably get a few Jester messages via Sending an episode, hopefully.

"Hey, we've been kidnapped, which is a really lovely thing when you think about it,

"Hey, sorry, fifteen words, right? Anyway the main captor is this big tall guy with

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

chitoryu12 posted:

I know he said on Reddit that he avoids weed because he had a bad experience with it (same), but Marisha smokes it to deal with her gigantic anxiety.

Ah. That explains Sam's joke(s) in Episode 108...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sBrNMR5FRE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CobiWann posted:

Okay but Matt opens with hilarity in that one.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

CobiWann posted:

Joke timestamped for the lazy:
https://youtu.be/2sBrNMR5FRE?t=4920

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That timestamp is so close.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay but Matt opens with hilarity in that one.

Oh yeah, I was so thrown when I saw him with hair that short...

I'm on Episode 112 now and will probably hit the final two episodes this weekend. I'm nervous and apprehensive but drat it I want to see how it all ends.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Finale is one hell of an epic battle, you're in for a treat. Kind of an emotional rollercoaster at parts of the fight and of course the epilogue is just non-stop feelings.

I hadn't thought about Jester using Sending to get in touch with the party, that's actually one really clever way for Matt to get them on the right track if they just have zero luck tracking them down or figuring out what happened.

I think Sending is wildly overrated as a utility spell, you get to get in touch with anyone you ever met instantly and can use that in all sorts of useful ways, even with a word limit. It's definitely in my top five spells from any class to use during downtime or while traveling.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Finale is one hell of an epic battle, you're in for a treat. Kind of an emotional rollercoaster at parts of the fight and of course the epilogue is just non-stop feelings.

I hadn't thought about Jester using Sending to get in touch with the party, that's actually one really clever way for Matt to get them on the right track if they just have zero luck tracking them down or figuring out what happened.

I think Sending is wildly overrated as a utility spell, you get to get in touch with anyone you ever met instantly and can use that in all sorts of useful ways, even with a word limit. It's definitely in my top five spells from any class to use during downtime or while traveling.

Did you mean overrated or underrated?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Re: the ending fight in Episode 113.

You bastard, Mercer. You beautiful, beautiful bastard.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Without spoilers, this did lead to my favorite ever reaction image from Talks Machina.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Dameius posted:

Did you mean overrated or underrated?

Definitely meant underrated, had a brain fart there.

CobiWann posted:

Such a dramatic moment. I also like, thinking back on it now, that by then the big bad had enough time and power to do even more to mess with their heads and make them use up spells, but "deal with Vox Machina" was probably only like #5 on their to do list with how much crazy poo poo they were doing by then, so it made sense that they'd take some measures but not go fully ham. I remember Matt even explaining that as their general thought process, like "ok they'd use these spells and get the most bang for their buck, what can they do without much effort."

Also, I just thought of something that would be really freaking funny. Spoilers for 113 I suppose:

Someone goes after Pumat to get back at the Nein similar to what happened to Gilmore (I'm thinking more like a general kidnapping and knife to the throat instead of the high-level stuff in 113), but they get one of the simulacrum and the whole party's just like "eh whatever, kill him if you want."

That'll probably never happen, but I do think that there's gonna be some real fun payoff to all those Pumat simulacrum at some point, beyond just how fun it's been to see so far.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 12, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/wuggynaut/status/1017362344157040640?s=21

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Oh god, this skit.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Oh my god, they are so dead without Laura and Travis lol

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I am already on loving board with Ashly Burch. Keg's fun.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I can't wait to see all the fanart of her, she's amazing so far.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

We are goin' loooooong tonight if we're getting going into this.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Well, I mean, like, it's not like Molly hasn't died before. Right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Holy poo poo Molly