Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

rafikki posted:

Got something interesting going on here, wondering if anyone has ideas. We have customer with around a hundred sites. All of them get external vulnerability scans. All of the sites in China have recently started flagging with openswan vulnerabilities. Problem is that those are not linux devices. If I run an ike-scan repeatedly sometimes it returns results, sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Can you confirm that those are even your devices that responding there? Given the GFW shenanigans that China's always up to it wouldn't surprise me if something in the middle was responding instead. It's China we're talking about so it's not totally outrageous to assume that the route your traffic is taking is compromised.

Do you get the same results when running your scan over an already extant tunnel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanatosian posted:

Now that I'm in a job that uses a ticketing system, I never want to go back. I can't count the number of times I've saved my own rear end because I had an issue six months ago that I didn't remember, but went back and looked through my own tickets, discovered I'd already fixed it, and written down exactly what I needed to do to do so. It's also really good for keeping me from letting things fall through the cracks.

It's a fantastic tool if it's used correctly, but as with most software, GIGO.

Well given that our average service desk agent is dumb enough to forget what they look like the moment they stop looking in a mirror and our ticketing system is quite elaborate, it means that my administrative burden at the moment is out of control, I currently spend 25% of my time actually solving technical issues and 75% is chasing up incorrect ticket administration. So yeah, I prefer a job with no ticketing.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sheep posted:

Can you confirm that those are even your devices that responding there? Given the GFW shenanigans that China's always up to it wouldn't surprise me if something in the middle was responding instead. It's China we're talking about so it's not totally outrageous to assume that the route your traffic is taking is compromised.

Do you get the same results when running your scan over an already extant tunnel?

That's actually what I'm guessing is happening, just wondering if anyone has other ideas. I don't have anything setup right now to test your question, but I'll see what I can do.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In my old NOC job they decided to run a contest and give the guy or gal who answered the most calls in a month a whole day off with pay. Cue not one, but two different techs just answering calls and dropping them immediately. Over and over again. Hundreds of calls. In the frame relay group. With the bigger business customers with very strict SLA's who get very angry about everything.

But because we were represented by the C.W.A. they didn't get fired. Heck, if you were a manager and wanted to monitor calls you had to tell everyone that you, as their manager, was going to monitor calls at this exact time. Other departments simplified that by putting a rotating blue light on the ceiling to alert people to start doing their jobs.

Those jobs are 100% automated now and not a single one of those fuckers will be missed.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

What is a "one on one" exactly? Just a meeting between manager and employee to talk about issues?

I've been there three months despite my perceived weaker social ability I get things done and I am reliable. So I'd be surprised if I was let go.

The real problem with this job is my issue with social anxiety. Helpdesk, desktop support are one thing. I can deal with that. This role has been a real stretch for me. I have to deal with a bit of project management and I have to deal with so many different people and not in the usual tech support role I'm accustomed to and I have a mental script for. I'm not used to this much responsibility either.

What I've learned from this role is that this type of position is not for me and would never be something I'd excel at. I'm holding this position until I finish two more classes and have my Bachelor's degree done. Then back to the job market for a less client facing role. Wish I could hold it for a whole year just to put on the resume but it's been real tough.
By realizing you're a human being with limits and imperfections you are already superior to 99.9% of the project managers in the world.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanatosian posted:

Now that I'm in a job that uses a ticketing system, I never want to go back. I can't count the number of times I've saved my own rear end because I had an issue six months ago that I didn't remember, but went back and looked through my own tickets, discovered I'd already fixed it, and written down exactly what I needed to do to do so. It's also really good for keeping me from letting things fall through the cracks.

It's a fantastic tool if it's used correctly, but as with most software, GIGO.

I have never really had any kind of knowledge base or ticket database that had a useful way to search for old solutions. Maybe if you happen to remember who the contact was you could locate it. No one ever maintains actual knowledge base products. To be honest the most effective knowledge base I've ever used is the the ol' "bunch of .txt or .doc files with descriptive names in well-organized folders."

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Half of my 1:1 today was spent talking about old memes

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I have never really had any kind of knowledge base or ticket database that had a useful way to search for old solutions. Maybe if you happen to remember who the contact was you could locate it. No one ever maintains actual knowledge base products. To be honest the most effective knowledge base I've ever used is the the ol' "bunch of .txt or .doc files with descriptive names in well-organized folders."
It takes it awhile to search, but Track-It has an easy-to-use search.

We also have a Sharepoint where we have a bunch of .doc files with descriptive names in well-organized folders. I'm the documentation fascist of our department, though; it comes from jumping into a role with virtually nothing documented.

All of my scripts have a couple of paragraphs of comments at the top explaining what they do, and frequently how to change them in order to fix things.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methanar posted:

My probation period ended 2 months ago and the congratulatory email from HR included "Your manager will have an 1 on 1 with you". Nothing happened so far.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is "senior engineer" a decent spot to be in at a MSP? I landed a second interview at a shop on Monday. They seem ok and I'd get to touch a lot of stuff. They seem open to suggestions and listen to their engineers (or at least told me so).

I would not be front line helpdesk and it seems more project oriented.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I currently work at a mid-sized public library, as a librarian, but I am interested in making a career transition to IT after having worked with the library's IT department for a tech-related project for two years. The problem is that I work 32-40 hours a week and the local community colleges don't offer all the courses I need to get a certification/AA degree, at times that I am not working. So like there's courses that are required but only offered between 10-4pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, when I'm already working. I feel stuck :smith: but I really want to get out of public-facing customer service and into a field where I'd be getting paid more to talk to computers instead of crazy people off the street.

How do I even begin?? My IT related resume is minimal, basically limited to a lot of home computer projects and a few IT-heavy library programs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Matt Zerella posted:

Is "senior engineer" a decent spot to be in at a MSP? I landed a second interview at a shop on Monday. They seem ok and I'd get to touch a lot of stuff. They seem open to suggestions and listen to their engineers (or at least told me so).

It's still MSP work so you won't be able to really perform a good job because you'll be budgeted a set amount of time to implement someone else's plan. The quality of what you get to work with will be determined by what the sales team are able to provide, which usually means you'll be providing whatever poo poo was pitched by whoever last walked in the door and bought them lunch.

Do anything else if you have the choice.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

It's still MSP work so you won't be able to really perform a good job because you'll be budgeted a set amount of time to implement someone else's plan. The quality of what you get to work with will be determined by what the sales team are able to provide, which usually means you'll be providing whatever poo poo was pitched by whoever last walked in the door and bought them lunch.

Do anything else if you have the choice.

I'm trying! But also I've been unemployed for a few months now. If they show me the money I think I'm going to have to do it. But I'm also hoping the in house position I interviewed for gets back to me.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Matt Zerella posted:

Depends on what you define as decent. My original title as senior engineer at the last MSP I worked at. It can be a real drag dealing with lovely tickets thrown over the fence. I wouldn't do it unless they were also a VAR and gave you project work

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm trying! But also I've been unemployed for a few months now. If they show me the money I think I'm going to have to do it. But I'm also hoping the in house position I interviewed for gets back to me.

If it pays the bills then it's better than having no money, just don't plan to get trapped there. MSPs have a way of burning people out and killing the motivation to :getout: / desire to do the extra-curricular work needed to make progress.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok thanks for the info. Now I have a few more questions to ask on Monday.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DrSunshine posted:

I currently work at a mid-sized public library, as a librarian, but I am interested in making a career transition to IT after having worked with the library's IT department for a tech-related project for two years. The problem is that I work 32-40 hours a week and the local community colleges don't offer all the courses I need to get a certification/AA degree, at times that I am not working. So like there's courses that are required but only offered between 10-4pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, when I'm already working. I feel stuck :smith: but I really want to get out of public-facing customer service and into a field where I'd be getting paid more to talk to computers instead of crazy people off the street.

How do I even begin?? My IT related resume is minimal, basically limited to a lot of home computer projects and a few IT-heavy library programs.

Look at WGU (Western Governor's University) if you want to get certs/schooling; I understand you said you want to get out of customer/public facing roles, but you're probably going to have to start there. Depending on what you make now you might not take a pay-cut getting into desktop support/helpdesk and that will get you experience to move on.

Thanks Ants posted:

If it pays the bills then it's better than having no money, just don't plan to get trapped there. MSPs have a way of burning people out and killing the motivation to :getout: / desire to do the extra-curricular work needed to make progress.

This is 100% true, my drive to IT outside work is poo poo and I need to get out of MSP hell, someone job me I work gud.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DrSunshine posted:

If you have an MLS you probably won't really be adding value with an additional associates. Is it possible to just take a couple of classes?

Also, if you're applying to an entry-level gig consider leaving off the MLS.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My “3 month evaluation” happened recently. I’ve been working there for 7 months.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol I just got a taste of that RAID 5 fuckery. Went to replace a degraded drive and somehow the controller broke the one next to it as well breaking the entire array. Coooool

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol I just got a taste of that RAID 5 fuckery. Went to replace a degraded drive and somehow the controller broke the one next to it as well breaking the entire array. Coooool

The rebuild time would have been poo poo anyway. yay backups!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

rafikki posted:

Got something interesting going on here, wondering if anyone has ideas. We have customer with around a hundred sites. All of them get external vulnerability scans. All of the sites in China have recently started flagging with openswan vulnerabilities. Problem is that those are not linux devices. If I run an ike-scan repeatedly sometimes it returns results, sometimes it doesn't.

code:
root@kali:~# ike-scan -M (ip address)
Starting ike-scan 1.9.4 with 1 hosts ([url]http://www.nta-monitor.com/tools/ike-scan/[/url])
(ip address)	Main Mode Handshake returned
	HDR=(CKY-R=da817797df823302)
	SA=(Enc=AES KeyLength=256 Hash=SHA1 Group=14:modp2048 Auth=PSK LifeType=Seconds LifeDuration(4)=0x00007080)
	VID=4f4568794c64414365636661 (Openswan 2.6.32)
	VID=afcad71368a1f1c96b8696fc77570100 (Dead Peer Detection v1.0)
	VID=4a131c81070358455c5728f20e95452f (RFC 3947 NAT-T)

Ending ike-scan 1.9.4: 1 hosts scanned in 0.792 seconds (1.26 hosts/sec).  1 returned handshake; 0 returned notify
root@kali:~# 
root@kali:~# 
root@kali:~# ike-scan -M (ip address)
Starting ike-scan 1.9.4 with 1 hosts ([url]http://www.nta-monitor.com/tools/ike-scan/[/url])

Ending ike-scan 1.9.4: 1 hosts scanned in 2.438 seconds (0.41 hosts/sec).  0 returned handshake; 0 returned notify
Any ideas what might be going on?

Yeah, you're running a likely an illegal ipsec connection inside of china and attempting to connect from outside. The PRC is MITM'ing you via the peoples revolutionary firewall. Who holds your internet license?

Look into Alicloud for connectivity outbound from china. It's the Peoples Revolutionary Cloud.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, I'm assuming it's the government. The customer owns the isp contract so it'll be up to them to work it out. Just wondered if I was missing any other likely possibilities.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

George H.W. oval office posted:

RAID 5 is the perfect backup plan!!!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
1:1 talk> I don't get them. I'm supposed to and other people in my office do, but the dude who "manages" me never does them.

Also today is day 1 back from vacation and holy moly all the work I assigned out before I left actually got done. Not too shabby a way to return.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vargatron posted:

RAID 5 is the perfect backup plan!!!

Until it isn't.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"This is what I'm working on. This is the progress I've made on x and Y since last week."

"Great. Y is falling behind and we've had a push from higher up on the results, can you prioritize that ahead of x for this next week?"

And then whatever other issues should be brought to light but maybe weren't important enough to go knock on your bosses door.
I do not use my 1 on 1's for status updates. We discuss difficult problems, organization troubles, etc.. Things that are definitely best done behind closed doors. Status updates can just be in the open.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ChubbyThePhat posted:

1:1 talk> I don't get them. I'm supposed to and other people in my office do, but the dude who "manages" me never does them.

Also today is day 1 back from vacation and holy moly all the work I assigned out before I left actually got done. Not too shabby a way to return.

most of my managers have told me mine was always low priority because i was doing well enough that it was mostly s waste of time :shrug:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RFC2324 posted:

most of my managers have told me mine was always low priority because i was doing well enough that it was mostly s waste of time :shrug:
1:1s aren't for employee feedback :shobon:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My 1:1s with my boss end up 90% a bitching session every week. We used to start with the office door open and close it as we got into angrier commentary now we just drop the pretense and close the door immediately

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

If this is your reaction to a manager scheduling a one-on-one with you, it's definitely time to go. They should (generally) not be adversarial.

I had my one-on-one today... he basically told me I have 30 days to improve, and that the new guy they just hired (and missed his second day of work :raise:) is getting my desk at the end of the month and I'll be moved out to a cubicle somewhere...

Basically I knew going in this job was a gamble. The job was dealing with clients face to face and managing 8 different sites and the networks there. I tried I really did. But honestly it's a contact position no one has lasted longer then 6 months in it. I will be the 4th person now I think?

I won't get into the people too much but I wasn't trained properly and to this day have not been given the documentation I should have.The person who I was supposed to be taking over for guards everything. You have practically beg the guy to get information sometimes. I don't know why these controlling types gravitate towards IT.

I think if I didn't have as much social anxiety I could maybe do it. Just flat out go around around Richard and introduce myself and socialize with the bosses but it's just too hard and not me. I'm not good at this and I can make myself be something I'm not.

My manager already told me he expects me to take the full lead within 30 days.

The plan now. I have mostly decided to give notice tomorrow. I will do it face to face out of respect for hiring me I believe that much is deserved. I'll see if they don't want me out the door on the spot or if he decides to keep me for a week. There's a week notice in the contact.

Honestly I've been ready to leave this job. I have 3 months of savings. I'll use the time to finish the last two classes of my degree quickly and I won't have to play B.S games with the job search as if I was working. I can just go all out with it. This time I will I'm going for a role I know I'll be successful in.

I could also go back to my old job if I really need to as well so my prospects are good.

Just curious anyone think I should stick this out?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yams Fan
My dad occasionally refers clients to me for some side hustle Geek-squad level support. The last 3 including one today have been "my computer died and I don't have a backup, can you help me?"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DropsySufferer posted:

Just curious anyone think I should stick this out?

Always, always, always make them fire you so you can collect unemployment. You'll also get a month's pay when you know you have to slash expenses to the bone, that'll pad your savings some.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Methanar posted:

Was the other half talking about new memes?

*slaps 1-on-1*
This bad boy can fit so many fuckin memes in it.

I gave notice yesterday. My boss hasn’t told my team, so now I look like a dick for avoiding taking on new work that I won’t get done in the next two weeks. :ohdear:

At least he cancelled the 1-on-1 we haven’t had since January.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 13, 2018

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Smoking hot chick executes a perfect tuck&roll jump maneuver out the passenger door as I'm explaining difference between line and path code violations

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

mllaneza posted:

Always, always, always make them fire you so you can collect unemployment. You'll also get a month's pay when you know you have to slash expenses to the bone, that'll pad your savings some.

gently caress. That's the right answer there and I hate it.

What's the path to getting fired correctly? I was reading that getting fired for misconduct will disqualify you from unemployment. Now my plan has changed to that I should get another job ASAP.I guess I'm going to be having doctor and dental visits quite often this month.

I can get back to my old job no problem. I could just take that route. I feel bad though because it's just a short term fix. I'm still going to be looking for another job because I'm finishing my degree.Going to my old job might be the wise choice to get out of that toxic environment though. :sigh:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DropsySufferer posted:

gently caress. That's the right answer there and I hate it.

What's the path to getting fired correctly? I was reading that getting fired for misconduct will disqualify you from unemployment. Now my plan has changed to that I should get another job ASAP.I guess I'm going to be having doctor and dental visits quite often this month.

I can get back to my old job no problem. I could just take that route. I feel bad though because it's just a short term fix. I'm still going to be looking for another job because I'm finishing my degree.Going to my old job might be the wise choice to get out of that toxic environment though. :sigh:

if you are on contract, you can't get fired. they just end your contract.

dunno how that affects unemployment

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Milking your health insurance is a solid call, COBRA is garbage and who knows what your next gig may or may not offer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got fired/laid off by being the last person left in my department and refusing to learn a new task. I made them give me my severance because I hated the company. Then I was unemployed for 3 loving years so that turned out to be maybe not be the best idea.

RFC2324 posted:

if you are on contract, you can't get fired. they just end your contract.

dunno how that affects unemployment

If you're a W-2 contractor then you collect unemployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Fixing an AD permissions issue slightly drunk while watching pro wrestling. #oncalllife (only on call one week in 7 and get massive billable overtime minimum 30 minutes per ticket regardless of how short it takes to fix.)