Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
At work I have a pretty beefy workstation for my development work. We run multiple VMs locally for testing and whatnot, however I have a Windows VM that I use for various windowsy items (Outlook etc.).

However, we recently took down some old servers and I got a pretty hefty RAM upgrade (192GB). What I was thinking of doing was having my Win10 VM put into my RAMdrive with daily backups. The general plan:

FSTAB: Create a ramdrive out of 100GB of memory (the max size of the VM)
FSTAB: Mount ramdrive
FSTAB: Move VM files to RAMdisk

kron or something else:
Back up files nightly at xx time. May have to shut down the VM and back up, not an issue.
check every x time frame to see if the VM is running, if not compare the filetiems and back up if the ramdrive is newer. (Probably some other much easier way to do it).

before shutting down primary machine:
Make sure VM is shut down, and backed up.

Is this feasible or just something that is too difficult to get working right to even really do?

Base Specs of my workstation:
HP Z820
2x Xeon - 6 core processors
500GB SATA SDD
2TB HDD

Fedora 28

I've been looking at a lot of things and think it might be doable, the biggest hurdle would be saving changes. In all fairness, nothing is saved locally on the VM that is actually important, so losing a day on it would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Why

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you had 192gb of ram, wouldn't you?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

If you had 192gb of ram, wouldn't you?

What did you say? Free RAM? gently caress yes, I will fill my poo poo up (I actually was 3rd in line so instead of 16x16, I have 8 16's and 8 8's. Not complaining!).

For other reasons, it's to speed my VM up as much as possible because I want to see what kind of poo poo I can do.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Just use ZFS and set the volume to async. You don't need to dedicate the ram but will get much of the benefit.

• Locked thread