Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

mikeraskol posted:

This does not make sense to me at all. But maybe Cashman is assessing the pitching options out there and he doesn't think the incremental increase is better than the upgrade at third? Will Machado even play third? Maybe they are still going after a pitcher? And if you are, and you trade Andujar, who is your third baseman when Machado leaves after the season? Are we trying to sign Machado after this season?

Also, Greg Bird.

That's pretty much it. Double down on offense since the pitching options are limited. You also drive up the price on Machado for other interested parties.

Can't say I'm thrilled about adding another bat over finding more pitching, but the trade market is pretty whacked atm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The only thing the Yankees should be buying the next few years is pitchers.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Judge, Severino, and Sanchez aren't free agents until after the 2022 season. The only player signed past that right now is Stanton. No Ellsbury contract, Chapman, Tanaka, etc.

Not that I think Machado is coming here. You have to convince him (or Didi I guess) to play third, and you probably have to talk extension before a trade even gets done, then work out a move for Andujar.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

ihatepants posted:

I would be somewhat surprised if it’s tomorrow that they get it together, since it’s Gray vs. Bundy.

Sonny Gray actually pitched well today! Offense crushing dingers was much less surprising.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

maybe Gray just needs to wear road grays all the time

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Greg Bird's home run swing is my fetish.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This ump is utter poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

This ump is utter poo poo.

5 strikes to EE last inning.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Just DFA Walker already.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Better Yankee: Neil Walker or Stephen Drew?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What a great at-bat from Hicks, and a good call to send Didi.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good AB by Bird vs a lefty too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love Greg Bird a lot you guys.

If the Yankees win it all this year I'm gonna switch my avatar to him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wade should play 2B every day until Gleyber comes back. At least he plays good D.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Inspector_666 posted:

I love Greg Bird a lot you guys.

If the Yankees win it all this year I'm gonna switch my avatar to him.

Greg Bird is pretty clearly a better hitter than his numbers demonstrate, I think its finally starting to come around.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
michael kay is antagonistic toward everything tonight and it's annoying as gently caress.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bobby Cox posted:

michael kay is antagonistic toward everything tonight and it's annoying as gently caress.

He's been that way all season, he can't turn off his drive-time radio mode anymore.

mikeraskol posted:

Greg Bird is pretty clearly a better hitter than his numbers demonstrate, I think its finally starting to come around.

He has the most beautiful swing in baseball.

EDIT: BRETT GARDNER

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 13, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Please trade Walker to a team with a stupid GM

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Yankees be homerin'

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mikeraskol posted:

Yankees be homerin'

But is it too many homers? My Column:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

humpthewind posted:

Please trade Walker to a team with a stupid GM

They are gonna have to trade him to the waiver wire. No one is trading for him.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I'm so happy that my precious Greg Bird is playing well, and Tyler Wade had a good game on Wednesday. I basically ride or die with Bird, Wade, Hicks, and Holder.

Let the record show that Andujar had two defensive fuckups in the Tanaka start (the throw to Bird, and he should have gotten to the double down the line if he had better range.) I would trade Andujar in a second in a package for Machado. He's loving Machado.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm so happy that my precious Greg Bird is playing well, and Tyler Wade had a good game on Wednesday. I basically ride or die with Bird, Wade, Hicks, and Holder.

Let the record show that Andujar had two defensive fuckups in the Tanaka start (the throw to Bird, and he should have gotten to the double down the line if he had better range.) I would trade Andujar in a second in a package for Machado. He's loving Machado.

The last thing the Yankees need is more righty power. Also, Bird's D has been just as bad as Andujar's and I don't see you all over him... It makes zero sense to give up multiple elite level prospects for a rental player you don't even need. If they have such a hardon for Machado they could get him in the offseason (which would also be moronic since what they will need in the offseason is pitching.)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 13, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

The last thing the Yankees need is more righty power. Also, Bird's D has been just as bad as Andujar's and I don't see you all over him... It makes zero sense to give up multiple elite level prospects for a rental player you don't even need. If they have such a hardon for Machado they could get him in the offseason (which would also be moronic since what they will need in the offseason is pitching.)

I think the general consensus is that if there is a trade to the Yanks, it will include signing an extension as part of the deal. I still don't like it, but if it somehow gets done *and* we still get some pitching, then I will be less confused / grumpy about it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
ALSO GREG BIRD IS PERFECT STOP SAYING MEAN THINGS ABOUT HIM.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

ALSO GREG BIRD IS PERFECT STOP SAYING MEAN THINGS ABOUT HIM.

Greg Bird’s swing is a thing of beauty.

If he could just make it so the barrel of the bat was going through the zone at the same time as the ball instead of a quarter second later. Man, that would be awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lumpy posted:

Greg Bird’s swing is a thing of beauty.

If he could just make it so the barrel of the bat was going through the zone at the same time as the ball instead of a quarter second later. Man, that would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVdk180og4s

:colbert:

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Too good.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I knew without clicking..... :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Walk Walk WP....

Nice implosion. Good job limiting the damage though.

It's UNBELIEVABLE that the Yankees have let Neil Walker suck this hard for 188 AB's. Cut bait already. He's beyond done.

They should come up with an excuse for Judge to skip the All Star Game.

The Yankees are ELEVEN GAMES better than this bullshit team and are still going to have to play a one game playoff... Good system MLB.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 14, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees are ELEVEN GAMES better than this bullshit team and are still going to have to play a one game playoff... Good system MLB.

Or we could just make up the 3.5 game deficit over the remaining 69 remaining games? (nice)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Walk Walk WP....

Nice implosion. Good job limiting the damage though.

It's UNBELIEVABLE that the Yankees have let Neil Walker suck this hard for 188 AB's. Cut bait already. He's beyond done.

They should come up with an excuse for Judge to skip the All Star Game.

:matters:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

Or we could just make up the 3.5 game deficit over the remaining 69 remaining games? (nice)

dont you understand yesterday's game was the most important game of the season. More important than tomorrows game and the game after and the game after

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

dont you understand yesterday's game was the most important game of the season. More important than tomorrows game and the game after and the game after

I always wondered why July 13 was circled with a big red marker on Aaron Boone’s calendar.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks for the help Toronto.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I think that MLB wants to expand the playoffs further and the one game playoff was just a first step.

Soon we'll have NBA style playoffs where each round is like 16 days and the playoffs last 2 months and Mike Trout still isn't a part of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Accident Underwater posted:

I think that MLB wants to expand the playoffs further and the one game playoff was just a first step.

Soon we'll have NBA style playoffs where each round is like 16 days and the playoffs last 2 months and Mike Trout still isn't a part of it.

Divisions are stupid.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Divisions are stupid.

gently caress 10 pm baseball

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Also, Bird's D has been just as bad as Andujar's and I don't see you all over him...

It hasn't by the eye test, and it hasn't by the advanced metrics. Bird also actually understands the difference between balls and strikes, and I'm also going by the scouting projections where the Yankees apparently love Bird and see him as a 30 HR bat, but there was at least the NYPost report suggesting they're not that high on Adnujar.

quote:

It makes zero sense to give up multiple elite level prospects for a rental player you don't even need.

I'm not suggesting giving up elite prospects. But "don't even need" is wrong. Pitching is a bigger need, but adding more offense and better defense would improve the team. Subbing Machado for Andujar probably means they would have won 2 more games up to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I do not buy that NY Post article at all, it makes no sense given what was rumored in the offseason vis a vis Gerrit Cole.

• Locked thread