Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CBJSprague24 posted:

"AWKWARD TURTLE?"

Is that a thing? An Australian turn of phrase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that a thing? An Australian turn of phrase?

People were saying that when I was at the University of Connecticut in 2006, so I’m gonna go with no.

CBJSprague24 posted:

South Park was fun when it was repeatedly "kids are smarter than the adults" and "Cartman leads a quest to make $10M from a mega-church/tooth fairy crime syndicate/Christian band" and not "Cartman hates all the Jews and has a girlfriend now who he hates and wants to murder" or "the town is dying to be super progressive and two kids get railroaded into being a gay couple even though they weren't before for some reason".

Get the games when they’re on sale (I think the new one still comes with Stick of Truth bundled in). They’re 100 percent kids dicking around and getting in over their heads plots and they’re hilarious. Basically the second and third South Park movies.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They’re 100 percent kids dicking around and getting in over their heads plots and they’re hilarious.

These were my favorite episodes, especially Ladder to Heaven. The worst episodes were those were the kids were acting as mouthpieces for T&P for whatever pet peeve they had that week.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

L'il Crimestoppers is probably my favourite episode of South Park. It's the perfect encapsulation of the kids being kids then somehow getting swept up into adult drama and still treating it like a game where they're just quoting stuff from buddy cop movies.

Heyeverybodythere'salotoffightingandkillinggoingondon'tforgettotipyourwaitresslet'shearitfor RE-BEK-UHHHHHHHH

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Quote-Unquote posted:

L'il Crimestoppers is probably my favourite episode of South Park. It's the perfect encapsulation of the kids being kids then somehow getting swept up into adult drama and still treating it like a game where they're just quoting stuff from buddy cop movies.

Heyeverybodythere'salotoffightingandkillinggoingondon'tforgettotipyourwaitresslet'shearitfor RE-BEK-UHHHHHHHH
Not anymore you're not.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

South Park was fun when it was repeatedly "kids are smarter than the adults" and "Cartman leads a quest to make $10M from a mega-church/tooth fairy crime syndicate/Christian band" and not "Cartman hates all the Jews and has a girlfriend now who he hates and wants to murder" or "the town is dying to be super progressive and two kids get railroaded into being a gay couple even though they weren't before for some reason".

Back on track, I can't remember the last thing I consistently found as funny after the first viewing as I do Bushworld Adventures but I'm watching it for the 500th time right now and it's still :allears:. "AWKWARD TURTLE?"

Doubtful and I agree, but South Park was on WGN of all places briefly in syndication. They repackaged it as "South Park NOW!" for some reason.

Tweak X Craig was actually pretty good. Fight me :colbert:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rexides posted:

These were my favorite episodes, especially Ladder to Heaven. The worst episodes were those were the kids were acting as mouthpieces for T&P for whatever pet peeve they had that week.

I don't remember a lot of Terrance and Phillip episodes where the kids were acting as mouth pieces for them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People were saying that when I was at the University of Connecticut in 2006, so I’m gonna go with no.

Get the games when they’re on sale (I think the new one still comes with Stick of Truth bundled in). They’re 100 percent kids dicking around and getting in over their heads plots and they’re hilarious. Basically the second and third South Park movies.

Stick of Truth was a blast. I started Fractured But Whole lately and the early going felt like recent-years-way-too-involved South Park, but once you get to the playable version of Lil' Crime Stoppers, it gets fun.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

JT Jag posted:

Not anymore you're not.

But that's not faaaaaair!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
they have invented the rat muscle robot limbs from Pickle Rick

This owns

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Clothes and skateboards coming out July 1st 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gjagRtJZ-s

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

We've got another BAM Episode for you guys, This time. we try our hands at some studio ghibli stuff. We have a very special guest this week all the way from glorious Nippon, (just kidding, hes a rick and morty artist too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNi3nWSG5s

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
For those who haven’t gotten around to it yet, the commentary on the season 3 Blu-ray is loving on point. A couple episodes even have multiple commentary tracks.

Like, for the season opener, they have one track that is, no poo poo, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson jawing for 22 minutes, and it is pure :stare:

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

For those who haven’t gotten around to it yet, the commentary on the season 3 Blu-ray is loving on point. A couple episodes even have multiple commentary tracks.

Like, for the season opener, they have one track that is, no poo poo, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson jawing for 22 minutes, and it is pure :stare:

I recently made it through the commentary myself. Some fun revelations

-Dan was the one to come up with pickle rick, not Justin
-the vindicator episode had a whole plot where morty has a fling with a vindicator girl during the last adventure, and now she has “matured,” changed her name to Quiver, and won’t give him the time of day. To make matters worse, his intelligent AI battle suit is trying to cock block him
-Chris Parnell is square as gently caress

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Stolen from CSPAM

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Everyone's favorite episode, Pickle Rick, got nominated for an Emmy!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"Outstanding" is not a word I would use to describe that episode

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why not?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yeah, I'd use "marvelous" or "exceptional" or "superlative"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It was written by a woman!!! :argh:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Everyone's favorite episode, Pickle Rick, got nominated for an Emmy!

I like the episode better than I like the sort of people who REALLY like the episode.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
It does stand out

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It would be silly to ask the members of the academy to watch entire seasons of every show that is submitted for consideration. The way that nominations work is that you submit one episode of your show - ideally the one you think either best represents your show (or actor, writer, whatever the category is), or more typically, the one you think will gain the most traction among those who are nominating.

They chose Pickle Rick to send in, and I think it's a great choice. It represents the show very well, it has a premise that grabs the viewer, and it has some fantastic animation, and crackling dialog. It's not the funniest episode or even the best episode of the season, but it's not like Tales from the citadel is very representative of the show, and it would confuse more than entertain if it was the only episode of Rick and Morty that you've ever watched.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just cause nerds ran it into the ground doesn’t mean it’s not good.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh it's great, but it's probably not the best episode of the season. But it's for sure the one I'd send to the academy if I were making the choice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The TV IV › Just cause nerds ran it into the ground doesn’t mean it’s not good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Picklerick has some of the crispiest animations in the series, whether or not you like ultra-violence you can't really deny how intricate the fight scenes are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pickle Rick has fun violence and a great message. It’s perfect yo

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That's what I was gonna say! I thought Pickle Rick was hilarious and one of the most fun episodes of the season. I hate that I feel bad about liking it now that the nerds seized on it as their new (non)mating cry.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I freelance 3D modeled stand-in props for an emmy-nominated episode of a tv show woooooo...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

I freelance 3D modeled stand-in props for an emmy-nominated episode of a tv show woooooo...

Your statue is in the mail

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
At least it wasn't ABCs of Beth.

I get the feeling South Park will get the nod this year for "Put It Down."

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Phenotype posted:

That's what I was gonna say! I thought Pickle Rick was hilarious and one of the most fun episodes of the season. I hate that I feel bad about liking it now that the nerds seized on it as their new (non)mating cry.

My wife gave me a pickle rick bottle opener for christmas last year and I was simultaneously super excited to open beer with it and super embarrassed to have a physical object that linked me to the toxic rick and morty fans.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have a Pickle Rick shirt and keep cup and they're great for giving me a heads up on which nerds I should avoid. They were also $5 each which is about the price I'm willing to pay for a tshirt and a keep cup.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I think I posted it ITT but a relative gave me a plush Pickle Rick for Christmas (along with a pickle-flavored chocolate bar which was gross and a Rick mug which actually owns).

I actually thought the episode in question was the worst in the series, even before weird internet spergs latched onto it. It was 90% action, which isn't what I came to the series for. That's a testament to how the series has something for everyone, though, I suppose.

Edit: I wonder how many more times I could have squeezed the phrase "the series" into this post.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone can write ultra-violence. Not every show can write "a man is so lame that he doesn't realize he is trapped in a simulation that is running at 5% power and glitching out all around him."

But yeah the fight sequences in Pickle Rick are visually interesting and well constructed and save it from being bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The violence and insanity is to show how far Rick will go to avoid therapy. It’s not just for fun or laughs but an actual character beat that is important to the point of the episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The funny part being all the violence and insanity is a completely mundane day for Rick and actually having to deal with a therapist is exceptional and insightful. He already bores himself silly with how cliche his pickle rick adventures are to the point where there's nothing left to do but actually go to the therapist.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I liked the father-daughter stuff in the car home from the shrink's office. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

prefect posted:

I liked the father-daughter stuff in the car home from the shrink's office. :3:

Especially because it shows that the therapy actually had a positive effect.