Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fiedler posted:

apple should sell the mac business. phones are their core competence and these terrible, ill-conceived efforts with macs are just destroying value.
dell just went public again, someone could pretend to be an analyst and say it was a move to buy off apple's desktop/laptop division

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

so just to be clear, the 32 GB RAM in the new 15" model is NOT LPDDR4 but normal DDR4, right?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

oh god please don't let this happen because you all know they would only sell the bad hardware and discontinue macos development entirely

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol:

be careful what you wish for, I guess.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Fiedler posted:

apple should sell the mac business. phones are their core competence and these terrible, ill-conceived efforts with macs are just destroying value.

macs are good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OldAlias posted:

macs are good
macs WERE good

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

those macs still exist

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

macs WERE good

no they weren't. they were mediocre and then bad.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

we know you’re shaggar there’s no need to sign

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

He's just confirming they're still better than Surface anything.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

if this is all they had to do to get to 32GB RAM, why didn't they do it years ago 🤔

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrMoo posted:

:lol:

be careful what you wish for, I guess.

So this means that if you get more RAM it cuts the battery life, right?

By about how much?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

r u ready to WALK posted:

oh god please don't let this happen because you all know they would only sell the bad hardware and discontinue macos development entirely

oh dear we might miss out on killer macos features like dark mode and... uh... cover flow v2?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
make third party licensed mac clones great again

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

MrMoo posted:

macbook users are just jealous of how easy it is to replace the surface pro keyboard

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

this is what Microsoft stans actually believe

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i’m going to buy a macbook air in tyool 2018.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

i’m going to buy a macbook air in tyool 2018.

:yeah: I’m going to use this poo poo till it’s dead and unsupported

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

OldAlias posted:

this is what Microsoft stans actually believe

i can't believe the guy who is constantly falling over himself to imply that he Works At Microsoft would be a homer for their products

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

re: new hardware

lol. just lol.

re: possibility of buying out 1password

oh gently caress please no. pretty sure that would mean the end of the windows version, or it would just otherwise turn to complete poo poo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I wish instead of adding moar cores they'd fix the thing where the base of the lid blocks airflow out of the fans when you use a macbook pro on a flat surface, like a table.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

they're on par with surface stuff. I wouldn't buy either.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

how's your 2018 xps holding up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

how's your 2018 xps holding up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im still using my 2016 xps 15 and it still works gr8

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm still using a 2015 xps 13 and my needs are very suited

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Going to be getting a new 15 touchbar for work and I can’t tell you how unexcited I am. Why do they insist on crappy, anemic gpus made by a tier 2 outfit and a cooling solution that is not fit for purpose.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

at least it's not amd

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

designing a cooling solution that actually works is too hard, let's just switch architecture to ARM then our laptops can be even thinner and flimsier
-johnny

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Ocrassus posted:

Going to be getting a new 15 touchbar for work and I can’t tell you how unexcited I am. Why do they insist on crappy, anemic gpus made by a tier 2 outfit and a cooling solution that is not fit for purpose.

just care less and it’s not a problem

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
wtf my mom bought a macbook as the family computer on my recommendation because I was never exposed to OSX before and heard knowledgeable people talk nicely about it so I thought that would be a viable way to escape windows, but now that I'm using it, this is all weird and bad. iMovie, a software we'll never use, wants to do daily 2GB updates which can't be turned off and you can't uninstall the program, the magic mouse feels like a piece of trash after one hour of using with even worse default sens and accel settings, Keychain is not actually a viable way of managing passwords, I can't find a simple straight-forward free version of spider solitaire without ads and microtransactions on the app store, and I can't figure out how to get rid of the one that advertised itself as free but turned out to be only a trial for the 5$ version not available in any language but english. The worst of all, there is virtually zero useful information to be found online for any of these problems, any mac-dedicated forums/messageboards are populated exclusively by tech-illiterate noobs which couldn't tell a computer from a potato if their lives depended on it, which incidentally also describes the people who write for all these lovely tech-news sites. Goddamnit I thought the pricetag was supposed to deliver quality software and a quality environment. If I had known this wasn't the case I would have installed Linux on whatever and traded all these weird seemingly unsolvable problems for a bunch of differently annoying problems that I'm at least well familiar with and can be solved by copy-pasting stuff from stackoverflow into terminals.

still better than win10

edit: AND OSX ASKS FOR USER PASSWORDS EVEN MORE OFTEN THAN LINUX JESUS CHRIST WTF

Ocean of Milk fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 13, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the pricetag is to justify the pricetag

alternatively: MacOS X is a very expensive OS and the price is "hidden"

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Windows, a fool: Spider Solitaire comes included

macOS, an intellectual: how about a nice game of Chess?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

you bought the wrong device. you need to return the MacBook and replace it with an iPad pro with a keyboard, hth.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Stringent posted:

you bought the wrong device. you need to return the MacBook and replace it with an iPad pro with a keyboard, hth.

iPad with keyboard, very mom suiting

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Linguica posted:

if this is all they had to do to get to 32GB RAM, why didn't they do it years ago 🤔

because Intel begged them to wait and swore a solution was just around the corner

which it now is, which is ARM based Macs precisely because of this type of poo poo from Intel

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Stringent posted:

What's the target market for macbooks pro if it isn't mums and it isn't pros?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
now that they're out of 2015s, it's suckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
you can totally uninstall iMovie lol. you can also just turn on auto updates and it can do it while its asleep.