Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Octopath comes out tonight, at midnight (most likely) on Nintendo Switch. I'm looking forward to a full week of nothing but this game, its going to be great.

I'm starting with the hunter, but after that who knows. Anyone else getting this day 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This is the only game that has a chance of tearing me away from The Witcher- been excited for it since it was originally announced. My hopes are pretty high

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm probably not doing day one but guaranteed I'm picking it up soon.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm getting it day one but I won't have time to play until tomorrow night

Some people in Games were trying real hard to dump on it earlier today and I got exposed to minor spoilers. Readers beware

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

crap, was looking forward to reading the something awful dot com games forum thread about this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

crap, was looking forward to reading the something awful dot com games forum thread about this

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the demo but I'll be picking it up in the future...sending my JRPG energy to the Pimps this week.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

someone tell me what this is I can’t YouTube right now

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I enjoyed the demos quite a bit so count me in. dunno if I'm gonna get it tomorrow or not though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

someone tell me what this is I can’t YouTube right now

2D rpg structured sorta like a SaGa game from the Bravely Default team for the Switch

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it got big ol enemy sprites and fancy chopping animations that you can build up power to do fancier versions of.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

check out this poo poo out.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

epic jrpg gamer weekend coming up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

epic jrpg gamer weekend coming up

EDIT: Disregard, misread as Eric jrpg Garner.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

2D rpg structured sorta like a SaGa game from the Bravely Default team for the Switch

I found out yesterday that it's not from the bravely default team it's by the people who made Akiba's Trip, but square just marketed it as a Bravely successor

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The mechanics of the game still seem very Bravely to me

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I really hope they make some kind of Bravely 1+2 HD thing in the future because I really doubt I’ll spend $90+ on it otherwise

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I somehow ended up with copies of Bravely 1 and 2 for not that much money but I haven’t played more than a couple hours of 1 so far. They seem like my jam though and so does Octopath

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I found out yesterday that it's not from the bravely default team it's by the people who made Akiba's Trip, but square just marketed it as a Bravely successor

I think walking in on me playing Akibas Trip kind of tipped the scales on my last gfs decision to break up with me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The mechanics of the game still seem very Bravely to me

Yeah it's got the same brave/Default set up. I hope the job system is as robust

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I think walking in on me playing Akibas Trip kind of tipped the scales on my last gfs decision to break up with me

Lmao

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Yeah it's got the same brave/Default set up. I hope the job system is as robust

Boost is brave kinda but you start with 1bp and get 1 per turn that you don't boost an action, and you can only use 3 at a time. And you don't go into negative bp or however it worked in BD. There's no default, though some characters can pass BP to others with skills. I think the jobs will be kinda simple, but you can cross class and every job has a bunch of passives that you can equip after unlocking them even if you aren't currently using the job. Just from playing around with the demo I think the game is going to be great, mechanically.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I somehow ended up with copies of Bravely 1 and 2 for not that much money but I haven’t played more than a couple hours of 1 so far. They seem like my jam though and so does Octopath

The sequel has frequently been on sale for 15 bucks this past year on Nintendo's ebay account. The original has never dropped from what I've seen, so all told it I paid 65 bucks for two of the best 3ds games

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wait BD is only 40 so it was even less. Check em out if you like this game, is my advice

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Bravely 1 + 2 is drat good gaming. The job system made those games absolutely incredible.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's up on the eshop.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too bad I don't have a switch or a 3ds or anything. Bravely default and this looked real good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I might wait until I've finished radiant historia to start this to avoid jrpg burn out but rh appears to be a million years long so I might not.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Im the warrior character right now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Too bad I don't have a switch or a 3ds or anything. Bravely default and this looked real good

Man if you pick up a 3DS at any point there are so many good games waiting for you. Kind of jealous of people who skipped out on it tbh. You could lock me in a bunker for a year with the complete 3DS library and I'd come out mad that I didn't have enough time to game

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

In Training posted:

it's a different development team from BD but overseen by the same director/producer idk how much that matters in the Game Industry

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the most honest way to market it would be "from the team who brought you Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?" but that wouldn't fit on the box

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
how is this?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game is extremely ftw. i've done 3 of the character stories so far and they all were pretty good. the game levels the area around the remaining characters you havent done, but i think it only applies to the story boss you have to fight(?) but so far each new party member has gotten up to speed. I havent seen all the individual character mechanics yet though. It borrows a lot of the combat systems from bravely like BP and using vulnerabilities to break guard and get in big hits. The change is that as far as i've seen the player characters dont have vulnerabilities that will instantly stop them from being able to attack. sometimes the tilt-shift effect will freak out lighting effects which are distracting in some cutscenes. the best thing i can say to recommend this is that its systems make it feel like playing a FF5/6 game thats been brought up to modern standards. The music is really good and the pixel art on the bosses i've seen so far have been good too

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/EsPyramid/status/1017878261995536385

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

started with thief its cool, giving me a HxH vibe also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you're gonna challenge a side story duel with either of the characters that can do that the level "requirement" for the fight to even be allowed is really really lowballing it. i had a guy that had over 2000hp that i could fight at level 7 and do max like 30 damage

• Locked thread