Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Thanks for the advice! I picked up The Way of Kings and am looking forward to it.

Curious why did you begin with an author's worst novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

mewse posted:

It was not part of a series, so I thought it would be a good place to start. I did not know it was his worst! I had just heard that he was a reputable fantasy author. Also, the lady at Barnes and Noble said it was very good.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Wait, I misread what mewse was saying. Carry on.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SoldadoDeTone posted:

It was not part of a series, so I thought it would be a good place to start. I did not know it was his worst! I had just heard that he was a reputable fantasy author. Also, the lady at Barnes and Noble said it was very good.

Lol B&N fucks someone again

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

a lot of people start with the first one lol

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

mewse posted:

Lol B&N fucks someone again

Eh, I'm glad I read it. It's quite flawed, but the characters are interesting, and the concept for the world is inventive.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Way of King’s is a huge improvement over Elantris but does start with what I consider a misstep. The whole prologue reading like a video game tutorial

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rule 1 of reading any novel is Always Skip The Prologue, the Way of Kings just has like three prologues

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

rule 1 of reading any novel is Always Skip The Prologue, the Way of Kings just has like three prologues

wtf.....?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

There is the series prelude the heralds 45 centuries in the past abandoning their pact

Then there is the book one prologue the assassin in white before he is cool

Then there is the start of book one where kaladin is briefly not depressed

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

basically brandon got told epic fantasy doesn't sell anymore, so he decided to go as self-indulgent and epic fantasy as possible for stormlight

Three prologues! Thirty magic systems! One thousand plus page books, limited only by the physical size of the publisher's printing press! Nine secret societies!

et cetera

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I think starting with Elantris is a good idea. If you’re start with the worst one it’s all uphill from there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tunicate posted:

A Crown of Swords has 2 hours worth of Prologues in the audiobook. Gross.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
One day genre fiction editors will swear a final pact to trashcan any manuscript with a prologue.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

basically brandon got told epic fantasy doesn't sell anymore, so he decided to go as self-indulgent and epic fantasy as possible for stormlight

Three prologues! Thirty magic systems! One thousand plus page books, limited only by the physical size of the publisher's printing press! Nine secret societies!

et cetera

why would u skip the first chapter of a book though lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

why would u skip the first chapter of a book though lol

if it were important it'd be called chapter 1, calling it a prologue indicates the author secretly knows this poo poo is superfluous to telling a good story

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

lol I adopted this rule reading the Wheel of Time, once the prologues got past 100 pages long. Like, holy poo poo dude. They just get longer and longer with each book.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

if it were important it'd be called chapter 1, calling it a prologue indicates the author secretly knows this poo poo is superfluous to telling a good story

this is so dumb......

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The prologues are actually good, op

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

this is so dumb......

can you name a book that was significantly improved by a prologue?

There are a lot where the prologue makes the book worse (easy examples are lensmen, and szeth's tutorial mission in stormlight).

To further attest to the prologue's status as a book's vestigial organ (a status it ironically does not share with the appendix, which is sometimes useful), literary agents commonly skip the prologue when reading samples.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 15, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

There are a lot where the prologue makes the book worse (easy examples are lensmen, and szeth's tutorial mission in stormlight).

To further attest to the prologue's status as a book's vestigial organ (a status it ironically does not share with the appendix, which is sometimes useful), literary agents commonly skip the prologue when reading samples.

Well if all the literary agents jumped off a bridge we'd have a lot less books to publish

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

I think the prologue with Lews Therin in The Eye of the World is pretty good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I think the prologue with Lews Therin in The Eye of the World is pretty good.

That was the prelude, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd say that preludes could be skipped - upon first reading you really don't have the context of the world to really understand them in my very limited experience, but I'd never skip a prologue. Even the goddamn 89 page prologue in Lord of Chaos (and I hope that guy earlier who said they get longer every book isn't right).

Like I had no idea what the gently caress was going on in the Way of Kings prelude, but upon re-reading the series I really enjoyed it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 15, 2018

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Why would you skip the prologue in a WoT book? They usually have pov's from interesting characters that don't normally get pov chapters. If you want to make the later books readable just skip all the Elayne and Perrin pov chapters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

That was the prelude, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd say that preludes could but skipped - upon first reading you really don't have the context of the world to really understand them in my very limited experience, but I'd never skip a prologue. Even the goddamn 89 page prologue in Lord of Chaos (and I hope that guy earlier who said they get longer every book isn't right).

Like I had no idea what the gently caress was going on in the Way of Kings prelude, but upon re-reading the series I really enjoyed it.

I have bad news for you...

fake edit: I don't know if they get longer with every book, I think Winter's Heart has the longest. I don't have the very last book on hand right now, but the first two books Sanderson wrote have about 30 pages long prologues.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 15, 2018

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

ah....i see. u are a retard

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
[guy posting in the reading books section]: anyone else do this cool trick where u dont read the first part of the book in case its bad
[dozens of other people]: yes absolutely. here is our strategy for judging whether or not to read the first parts of books by looking at their covers

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Only prologues I ever skipped were the ones in David Edding's Belgariad/ Malloreon which a lot of the time were recaps of each previous book, which is pretty pointless if you're binging them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

ah....i see. u are a retard

couldn't think of any examples, could you?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

couldn't think of any examples, could you?

literally every book with a prologue, guy. every part of a book is essential

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If you skip any portion of any book you’re an idiot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Daric posted:

If you skip any portion of any book you’re an idiot.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Same

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Why do so many people dislike the Szeth prologue? I liked it for showing of the cool magic system early on, and it gives context to everyone making GBS threads themselves about the assasin in white, as well as an idea of what Kaladin is becoming.

And sandersons magic systems being “video gamey” is one of his selling points. :confused:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Why do so many people dislike the Szeth prologue? I liked it for showing of the cool magic system early on, and it gives context to everyone making GBS threads themselves about the assasin in white, as well as an idea of what Kaladin is becoming.

And sandersons magic systems being “video gamey” is one of his selling points. :confused:

The old writing advice is "show, don't tell" and Sanderson tried to bend the rule by showing Szeth flying around by manipulating his own gravity and lashing himself to the ceiling etc, but what he was actually doing was telling us "this is how the magic system works. He lashes himself to the stones of the castle. His magic sword passes through flesh and kills it."

Doesn't he even use a half lashing in the prologue?

It was a massive dump of info about how the magic system worked without the reader knowing who any of the characters were yet. Worse, the reader can't retain a lot of that info because they don't know who the characters are. I went back and re-read that prologue after reading Words of Radiance and it's like "oh poo poo, he shows Dalinar drunk off his rear end" which I completely forgot about because I didn't know who Dalinar was when I read it.

So I personally don't hate the prologue as much as some people but I can definitely see validity to their criticisms. The chapter with the heralds abandoning the oathpact was rough as well. It's OK for Sanderson to present a scene with no context and fill in the details later, but it really needs to be done with some restraint so he doesn't have this long chapter that doesn't make any sense, because the reader hasn't been immersed in the world yet.

e: also I feel like some of this foreshadowing is Sanderson showing off how intricate his worldbuilding is when he returns to it later. "See, I intended that all along!!" while the reader wonders what the gently caress

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 16, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Isn't that just how fantasy prologues/preludes work? You get a scene that is cool but has no context, but later on as you learn about the world you can look back and go "ooooohhh" at how you now understand it.

Chapter ones are kind enough to accept that you are new to this world. Prologues don't give a gently caress.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I dunno about you guys but I tend to avoid the awkward teen chapters, name a book that was improved by the presence of chapters 13-19.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Frabba posted:

I dunno about you guys but I tend to avoid the awkward teen chapters, name a book that was improved by the presence of chapters 13-19.

And frankly, the depressive early-adult years really drag down an experience. I recommend skipping 20-25 as well

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Because he writes like it's a video game tutorial.

"Szreth used LT+X to burn 20% of his Stormlight Gauge to a Full Personal Gravity Reversal Lashing and run down the hallway on the ceiling. Then he pressed Y as he passed the lamps to draw in 15% Stormlight from the glowing blue lamps, and then he used X+D to burn 10% of his Stormlight Gauge on a Full Targeted Gravity Redirection Lashing to drop the guards down the hallway, followed by RT+LT+X to use a Gravitational Attraction Shield on the door so that it would block enemy arrows."

Sanderson's always had videogamey magic systems, but this is egregiously bad even for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taffer posted:

And frankly, the depressive early-adult years really drag down an experience. I recommend skipping 20-25 as well

Old people chapters are little better. You should just stop after chapter 50 or so.