Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m really obsessed with Mirror Reaper right now. What else hits a similar mood? That lay back relax every muscle in your body and just sink into the thick layers of music feeling. The album conjures up so many images and such in my head. I don’t get that too often.

Neurosis! I just saw them for the 2nd time last night, and their vibe is pretty much exactly what you're describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Motherfucking Indian are the surprise guest for YOB and Bell Witch tomorrow

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Motherfucking Indian are the surprise guest for YOB and Bell Witch tomorrow

Holy poo poo. Hope they put out a new album soon, From All Purity is a classic

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
was anybody else at that yob record store day show @ music millenium?

it loving ripped. hanging out with the guys after the show was unreal.

can't wait to see them a 3rd time this year when they swing back through portland.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
sup nerds, been awhile

Figured I'd come post this here as I am way into stoner/sludge/doom with female vocals. Eerily haunting to me. So I figured I'd drop Lowen's new album here.

Don't forget to go click 'em at bandcamp and actually show support for artists (gently caress iTunes).

Quick and easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNB6NBEsbvQ

Be a friend: https://lowen.bandcamp.com/album/a-crypt-in-the-stars

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Slow on the new bongripper album from 8 minutes onwards makes me cream my loving pants :gizz:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1016515977167736833

Niiiiiice

Juaguocio posted:

Neurosis! I just saw them for the 2nd time last night, and their vibe is pretty much exactly what you're describing.

I love Neurosis :)

Darthemed posted:

Have you heard any Ommadon? Might do it for you. Other chances: Jupiterian, Leechfeast, and Broughton's Rules (their first album only, unfortunately).

Haven’t heard those. Thanks!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Back in 2012 I joined Psilocybin on bass. Dragos liked my old band HUGENELK, so when that ended he brought me in to replace Tanner. They had a whole album's worth of material already recorded, and Dragos was able to send me some rough working copies of the tracks, which made learning the songs a lot easier. Although Juraj and Dragos had a very clear idea of where they wanted to take the songs, we ended up changing a ton of stuff as we got used to playing with each other. It was a lot of fun! We played some shows, wrote a new song that I really liked, and were in the process of recording new parts to finish the album, but then disaster struck. For some inexplicable reason (there were a lot of inexplicable happenings with this band) the only copy of the masters was on Juraj's laptop, which got stolen. The band was starting to fizzle out at that point anyway, so we ended up going our separate ways.

Last year I was catching up with Dragos over Messenger, and I mentioned I still had those rough tracks. He got me to send them over, and I guess they were good enough to salvage something out of, because here's The Marsh Chapel Experiment, by Psilocybin:

https://psilocybin.bandcamp.com/

Some of the tracks are real rough, but at least something exists out of all the work that was put into them. edit: I have nothing to do with selling the EP. To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy it, lol

I just wish we could have recorded the songs the way we were doing them right at the end, as well as the unrecorded new song, "Ruins." drat, there were some good riffs in that one, and it's probably lost to the ether...

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 10, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

drat, I heard there was a MAGA guy but I showed up a bit late and I missed it! Also walked right by Kim and should’ve introduced myself but I had been standing for four hours and couldn’t deal anymore.

YOB and Indian loving ruled.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

New Windhand album and tour in October

Guess I'll [grudgingly] make the trek to LA on a Tuesday night to see em!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

drat, I heard there was a MAGA guy but I showed up a bit late and I missed it! Also walked right by Kim and should’ve introduced myself but I had been standing for four hours and couldn’t deal anymore.

YOB and Indian loving ruled.

She’s cool as hell and a total badass. I understand why she gets some flack but ehhh I’d rather her be who she is then a racist fuckhead. Great taste too, she’s always repping killer bands.

my bony fealty posted:

New Windhand album and tour in October

Guess I'll [grudgingly] make the trek to LA on a Tuesday night to see em!

gently caress yeah! The last Windhand album is one of my favorites of all time. I get why a lot of people find them boring but they are exactly what I want out of doom.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

She’s cool as hell and a total badass. I understand why she gets some flack but ehhh I’d rather her be who she is then a racist fuckhead. Great taste too, she’s always repping killer bands.

I've written for her a couple of times and she's listened to my band so I figured I'd at least put a face to a name she probably doesn't remember

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress yeah! The last Windhand album is one of my favorites of all time. I get why a lot of people find them boring but they are exactly what I want out of doom.

Same they are one of my faves. I never saw them despite living in Richmond for a few years because I suck.

Tour is with Satan's Satyrs who I would bet put on a rockin show, anyone seem them?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Oh my god I'm finally sitting down with the new Bongripper and it's magnificent.

Their guitar tone is filthy, and it sounds like they're still tuned to F with the bass an octave down :eyepop:.

I wish more non-djent/prog bands would explore super low tunings/extended range instruments, nothing is more satisfying than when they hit that open F and everything loving explodes.

e: lol the triplet part in death feels like a riff on Yob

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 11, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wasn't big on Slow but I liked Death. I don't think they'll ever touch SWD or Hippie Killer again sadly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've written for her a couple of times and she's listened to my band so I figured I'd at least put a face to a name she probably doesn't remember

Ohh that’s rad. I only know her from twitter + her articles.

my bony fealty posted:

Same they are one of my faves. I never saw them despite living in Richmond for a few years because I suck.

Tour is with Satan's Satyrs who I would bet put on a rockin show, anyone seem them?

I still haven’t listened to the SS side of their split. Guess I should soon.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I wasn't big on Slow but I liked Death. I don't think they'll ever touch SWD or Hippie Killer again sadly.

I dunno, Sex Tape and Miserable were both really good, though I’d def rate Miserable below SWD and Hippie Killer.

This new one is plodding at points, but there are some fantastic stylistic changes + flourishes that I’ve never heard from Bongripper before (or at least not to this level of refinement). The mid song full stop in Death, that almost happy black metal swing (iirc) part also in Death, the whole drum intro of Slow...

Also can’t get over how good the mixing and mastering are. Everything sounds fantastic, though I did notice what seemed like some unintentional slow attack limiting +phase issue in the middle of Death, that almost pulsed the levels and up shifted stereo imaging for a moment. Possibly intentional but it sounded like they just boosted some filler GT tracks too hard and it overloaded the mastering limiter.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Descent->Into Ruin are like two of my fav ripper tracks. Endless is a lot better live. I like Zero Talent a lot.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

my bony fealty posted:

Friend of mine is one of the guitarists in Satyrs. They are absolutely fantastic live. Saw them in Richmond (ha) last time they played with Windhand and they completely upstaged them. They're heavy as hell but they're also really energetic and fun, and I mean that not in the Andrew WK way of "fun" but more just "clearly enjoy playing live and respond to the energy of the crowd".

Also I hadn't realized they had announced their fall tour but they're here in Atlanta for the first show! Gonna drink hella rider beers with those dudes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Terminal is better than Miserable, possibly even SWD.

The production quality is really astounding and Im glad to see a bit of a shift away from the lo-fi production values that a lot of these bands have relied on in the past. Yobs new album sounds great too, even if its a bit of a shift thematically.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i listened to terminal in my car and was a bit "meh" about it and then listened to it on a dank sound system with a huge subwoofer and it loving blew my mind. the bass and drums sound loving incredible and its just a non stop thunder storm. that clean jamming riff in Slow is awesome too probably my fave bongripper stuff.

Live at Roadburn for me is the best album. the songs may have all been studio recorded before but the sound production was the let-down for me on all studio stuff. sex tape, snuff film and zero talent however were all dank. Miserable was when they started getting the studio sound re ally right for me and this new album is just absolitely epic. if you dont like it i garuntee you will love it when uou hear it through a good surround sound with subwoofer

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah I have a good car stereo and a good home stereo and there is surprisingly huge amounts of space for all the low tones to breathe on this album. Really stoked on how good it sounds.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never been that into Bongripper but I guess I’ll listen to this one since y’all can’t stop teasing me with how awesome the production is. I’m a sucker for thunderous low end music with matching production.

e: hahaha oh god it’s so heavy I love it

that black metal riff blew my god drat mind

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 11, 2018

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

So, weirdly enough the Terminal guitar tone is super similar to what Acacia Strain did on Coma Witch, except with more high end. I’ve been able to replicate the main amp tone pretty well, but what I’ve noticed with these two (and very few other super low tuned bands) is that their low string intonation + string gauge is spot on enough to hit an open F power chord and not run into dissonant overtones.

I’ve been playing in that range for a while, and I have to do what most other guys do - mostly avoid power chords from open to 2nd fret on the lowest strings. Even when the intonation is spot on across the board, I end up with overtones, which cause much of the same issues.

I’ve had this on 6-8 string, 25” scales to 30”, with strings ranging from .68 for a F1 to .90 for an E1, and I’ve never been able to solve both problems. I figure there’s probably a combination of scales, gauges, and recording techniques to make that incredible low power chord, but I haven’t found it yet.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Seeing Sleep on the 22nd and seeing Bongripper one the 23rd (instead of seeing the second night of Sleep doing Holy Mountain). Starting up Terminal and I think I have chosen wisely. DC doom goons hit me up at either show and win a beer.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Ingmar terdman posted:

Seeing Sleep on the 22nd and seeing Bongripper one the 23rd (instead of seeing the second night of Sleep doing Holy Mountain). Starting up Terminal and I think I have chosen wisely. DC doom goons hit me up at either show and win a beer.

Going to both Sleep shows. It was a tough choice between Bongripper and Sleep's Holy Mountain.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
conan and bell witch coming to australia together in november :getin:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
envm

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hope the Conan album dropping this year is better than the lost. God it was so boring.

This rules thanks for posting it

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hope the Conan album dropping this year is better than the lost. God it was so boring.

This rules thanks for posting it

revengeance or the demos one? revengance is my fave

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Revengeance

Ok here’s your chance to convince me to give it another try go go go

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i dunno. the opening riff on wrath gauntlet for me is loving awesome and the closing part of throne of fire too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Conan are better when theyre doing their own thing instead of trying to be high on fire

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

conan and bell witch coming to australia together in november :getin:

Who is the promoter? Since Life Is Noise got shut down due to #metoo there has been zero international doom band tours.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Laserface posted:

Who is the promoter? Since Life Is Noise got shut down due to #metoo there has been zero international doom band tours.

Soundworks are doing it. Church of Misery are playing Aus/NZ in October too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sludge Tank posted:

i dunno. the opening riff on wrath gauntlet for me is loving awesome and the closing part of throne of fire too.

I’ll give it another go sometime :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The new ASG album is pretty drat good imo

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Revengeance

Ok here’s your chance to convince me to give it another try go go go

The 2nd track "Thunderhoof" rules

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

The Gasmask posted:

So, weirdly enough the Terminal guitar tone is super similar to what Acacia Strain did on Coma Witch, except with more high end. I’ve been able to replicate the main amp tone pretty well, but what I’ve noticed with these two (and very few other super low tuned bands) is that their low string intonation + string gauge is spot on enough to hit an open F power chord and not run into dissonant overtones.

I’ve been playing in that range for a while, and I have to do what most other guys do - mostly avoid power chords from open to 2nd fret on the lowest strings. Even when the intonation is spot on across the board, I end up with overtones, which cause much of the same issues.

I’ve had this on 6-8 string, 25” scales to 30”, with strings ranging from .68 for a F1 to .90 for an E1, and I’ve never been able to solve both problems. I figure there’s probably a combination of scales, gauges, and recording techniques to make that incredible low power chord, but I haven’t found it yet.

G#0 is the lowest pitch that sounds good to me. Any lower than that and the notes start to lose definition.

I don't like the feel of super heavy strings, so I don't tune my bass any lower than B0. That B string is plenty low enough for me.

We used to do C standard/drop Bb in my old band, changing the tuning between songs. Intonation? What's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My Bongripper vinyl should finally show up today :woop: I've been holding off listening until my physical copy got here, so I'm behind the curve but I'm just a smidge stoked to finally hear it. My guy also said he'd have shine today, so I'm probably going to get blasted on strawberry moonjitos and listen to Bongripper on...Sunday? Local bands are playing at a tattoo shop on Saturday so I can't really go full-tilt then.

Ohhh and The Body is playing on Monday. Anyone seen them this tour?