Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Wine. It tastes great, especially when shared. So why should the wine only be in front of me? Why not let the wine be in front of all? And, while we are at it, why not argue about favorite movies at the same time!

Welcome to Wine in Front of All IV: Movie Night!.

I am your mod. You may contact me via PM or Discord (merk).

This game is a completely open setup for 24 players. Roles are not assigned, they are picked by all players in a complicated yet fun role draft that will be explained in detail in the rules post. Once everyone has a role and alignment, the game starts as normal, and will end as normal.

This is meant to be a fun game. Due to player's picking roles, there is no way to guarantee it will be balanced. Do not sign up if you are not willing to actively contribute to the game. Active contribution buried under a mass of jokes and worthless posts are fine, so long as the contribution is there.

Regular Rules

1. All normal rules apply. Don't quote me without permission, don't toxx or anything else stupid, don't edit beyond a ninja edit, etc. You ##vote Voodoofly and ##unvote Voodoofly as such. If you don't properly format, I might miss it, so fair warning. Basically, don't be an rear end and don't try to break the game unless I have told you it is allowed.

2. I hate lurkers, so if you sign up to play, make sure you are willing to post and keep up with the thread. From past experience, these games are post heavy, especially Day 1, so fair warning.

3. I will replace players the first two days with or without warning if I feel you aren't posting enough content or it otherwise is best for the game, after Day 2 it will be a modkill. If you know of a reason you will be away, tell me, we can work it out. Do not assume I will or will not modkill someone in a certain situation - modkills have no limits.

4. This game will have deadlines, probably during the afternoon Pacific time when I'm at work. Game days will usually last 3-5 real life days. I will almost certainly not schedule deadlines on weekends.

5. Deadlines will end in a plurality lynch. If there is a tie, whoever was the voteleader before the tie will be lynched. Player's can no lynch, but must actively vote ##no lynch - if you pansies have "no lynch" as the voteleader you little sissies will all sing songs and dance around a flower patch instead of engaging in healthy bloodlust, you wussies.

6. After a lynch, deadline or not, there will be a twilight period until I close the thread or TLB tells you to shut the hell up. It will probably be around an hour, maybe longer, maybe shorter.

7. When you die, you do not talk to ANYONE about this game. If you really feel the need to tell someone about your role or something else, ask me first. Living players don't talk to dead players, dead players can't talk, etc.

8. Players are allowed to quote their movie flavor. I have no idea why you would do this except for laughs, but go for it. Players are allowed to pretend to quote fake movie flavor. I will never confirm or deny anyone's movie flavor quotes in this game. If you are confused, ask first.

9. The movie list was picked as my top 24 movies according to Flickchart.com, a great time waster I use too frequently on conference calls. I don't necessarily agree with it. My levels of disagreement are probably worth considering in a WIFOM way.

Specific Pre-Game Rules

Stage 0: I will randomly assign each player’s alignment. There will be 19 town and 5 scum. This will be done by RNG (twice, actually), so while I encourage WIFOM in this game, initial player order will probably not be the place to look. Players will not learn their alignment until the start of Stage 2 (the Role Draft).

Stage 1: Draft Order Contest. Each player must send me a number (integers only, sc4rs) from 1-20. Each player must also send me a second tie break number 1-20 – the tie break will work exactly like the original contest (Example of number choice: Vodoofly, 9, 9). The object is to pick the number closest to 1 that THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE PICK. Order will be determined as: (1) closest to 1 that only 1 person picked, until all single picks are gone; (2) closest to 1 that only 2 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all double picks are gone; (3) closest to 1 that only 3 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all triple picks are gone; etc. If there is a tie in the tiebreaker number section, those players will be behind any single pick tie breakers, and I will roll dice for them. The final Draft Order will be published in this thread for all to see. See the Mock Draft (linked in the OP) for an example.

Stage 2: Role Draft!!! Players will be told their alignment (scum will not know who their scumbuddies are). Each person must then select one, and only one, role from the pool of roles (provided below). *New* Players will also select one, and only one, movie from the list of movies (provided below). These selections must be sent to me via PM or Discord (if you send via Discord, make sure I respond). I will go down the Draft Order – if nobody has selected the role you picked, you get the role, but if someone has already taken that role, you are vanilla. If you select vanilla, you will automatically be vanilla. The results of this draft will NOT be published until after the game has finished.

Stage 3: *New* Movie Draft!!! After I have gone down the draft list for roles, I will go in reverse order for the players' movie selections for those players who were not given the role they selected. Each movie is tied to a role, and if the movie's role was not selected in the Role Draft, or by an earlier pick in the Movie Draft, you will get that role as well. You will never be officially told if your role was assigned from the Role Draft or Movie Draft - but I'm sure if you get a movie you didn't choose with your role you will figure it out.

Stage 4: People will be sent their role and have their alignment confirmed (scum will learn who their scumbuddies are). Players who did not get a role through from the Role Draft or Movie Draft will be vanilla, and have a random unused movie assigned to them. At this point, Day 1 will begin. There will be no Night 0.

:siren: Rule Clarifications and Other Things :siren:
Read here for any updates or clarifications

This is a spot where any rule clarifications, or other items that arise during the game, will be listed. It will be updated as the game goes on, so it might be best to check here every once in a while.

1. Scum = Mafia. I use them interchangeably. Sorry if that confuses you.

2. Asking for a favorite movie in signups will have NOTHING to do with role selection. It was just to give me some way to decide between two people rather than using an RNG if I need to cut the player list down, and for fun. It was probably a mistake, but gently caress it, you guys can figure it out.

3. Repeating from above: When you die, you do not talk to ANYONE about this game. If you really feel the need to tell someone about your role or something else, ask me first. Living players don't talk to dead players, dead players can't talk, etc. This means dead scum can't speak to living scum, and if there are masons, dead masons can't speak to living masons.

4. Players will know their alignment in this game when they pick their roles. Player alignment will be sent out within minutes of the role draft being decided.

5. Scum players WILL NOT know their scumbuddies until they receive their roles.

6. Before the game started, I picked one of Faulty Vig A and Faulty Vig B to be a real vig, and the other to shoot a blank. The real vig will always shoot a real shot (absent anyone else's power roles). The fake vig will always shoot a blank. A Faulty Vig is never told whether he is the real or fake vig.

merk fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I will play and send you my role pick via AIM

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
:argh:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
this sounds awesome. I'm in. I'll submit everything via discord.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

superedit: Nah. Unsign me up in the event that this doesn't get archived.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 21, 2018

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Movies and roles not available yet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Is this a mafia game that can be better enjoyed with wine?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Thanks merk, I have been missing a WIFOA game, they have always been spectacular in the past. Please get Chili to play.

I guess I will send you some numbers or something (I'm sending 1,1)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

Thanks merk, I have been missing a WIFOA game, they have always been spectacular in the past. Please get Chili to play.

I guess I will send you some numbers or something (I'm sending 1,1)

Oh now you only want ONE number well that is different. Fine I will be sending 1

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hmm the multiple number method is way better. I’ll change the rules when I get to a computer.

I copied the op from an old voodoofly game.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Sure

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
This sounds good, I want in

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

🐟

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I submitted some more numbers...

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
:(

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm having the same issue recruiting for yiff mafia, spooky halloween mafia, and star wars mafia. I think the community died.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Yeah I think it’s time to shut down SA mafia. It had s good run just wish I discovered it sooner

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Just as I find something, it's taken away from me :smith:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

b-minus1 posted:

Yeah I think it’s time to shut down SA mafia. It had s good run just wish I discovered it sooner

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Bastardly posted:

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Spooked me

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

imgay posted:

Spooked me