Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pie Colony posted:

- if you worked with a small team on a big Thing X, is saying "implemented Thing X" or "helped implement Thing X" better?
call out the parts that you worked on and how they served organization goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
and imo if you really want highlight your mentorship and leadership contributions (which can be fine to do) use stronger language than “helped”

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
oh man I’ve got to give an interview at noon on a friday and I’m going to do my very best to not let my annoyance with HR color my input but ughhhhh the struggle is real

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i got a recruiter email to work on the "people technology" team at amazon. is this the team responsible for tracking warehouse employees' hand motions?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
never work on an internal-only app team.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HoboMan posted:

i got a recruiter email to work on the "people technology" team at amazon. is this the team responsible for tracking warehouse employees' hand motions?

people technology sounds like a dumb name for hr

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

raminasi posted:

and imo if you really want highlight your mentorship and leadership contributions (which can be fine to do) use stronger language than “helped”

yeah, on a resume "helped" means "was present in planning meetings for"

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

hobbesmaster posted:

people technology sounds like a dumb name for hr

this was my thought
"we're a tech company, everything has to be technology!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"hr" has such toxic associations that companies are forever looking to rename it

my current employer has a chief people officer

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
:toot: I got a new job!

Thanks for the advice to always ask for more :20bux:, thread. I took the offer from getting a 33% raise to getting a 45% raise + bigger signing bonus. on top of way fuckin better benefits and working at a (non-faang) well-known company that will look fantastic on my resume

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m dead loving serious if you fancy yourself a computer touched and can’t even type/touch computers effectively i will judge you super harshly

I knew a server admin guy once, watched him see "IP address conflict" pop up and he had no clue what to do, no idea where to even start looking in order to figure out what to do.

Wasn't encouraging

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my huge company formally ranks the different supporting functions as part of a large internal survey and hr is always at the absolute bottom year over year since the survey started (with IT right behind them)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but the role of hr isnt to support the employees so if anything that's an endorsement for them doing their job

AMA trying to get former employers to verify that i worked there. good thing i kept those offer letters!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i went to an interview for a job that sounded neat and crushed it

still didn’t get the offer, they went with an internal hire

just a reminder to folks: not getting an offer doesn’t mean you screwed up or aren’t good enough

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

just a reminder to folks: not getting an offer doesn’t mean you screwed up or aren’t good enough

this is a very true thing that can be hard to get over

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

the just world fallacy is nonsense in general but double nonsense as far as anything to do with who gets the high paying jobs is concerned

it's frustrating, yes, but for god's sake don't get your self-worth dragged by this ritual supplication bullshit

return0
Apr 11, 2007

HoboMan posted:

Is this team based in the U.K.?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Wish I was as enthusiastic about my experience as these recruiters are.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Arcsech posted:

:toot: I got a new job!

Thanks for the advice to always ask for more :20bux:, thread. I took the offer from getting a 33% raise to getting a 45% raise + bigger signing bonus. on top of way fuckin better benefits and working at a (non-faang) well-known company that will look fantastic on my resume
:woop: i feel some vicarious excitement for this post because I’m in almost the same boat, and actually kind of looking forward to the new job.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m dead loving serious if you fancy yourself a computer touched and can’t even type/touch computers effectively i will judge you super harshly

i think i've worked with like three people ever who actually touch type properly lol
like, i myself don't look at the keys but i don't use all fingers properly and i know very few people who do. nobody teaches that poo poo here and it's not a thing you pick up on your own unless you are a real turbosperg

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TheFluff posted:

a real turbosperg

don’t sign

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i got the money i asked for so i'm gonna say yes to the new place :toot:

i have no idea how to professionally explain that i'm leaving for a competitor. not a direct competitor, but they make reasonably similar products, aimed at a different segment of the market, and we actually offer an integration with one of their products.

in the past i've jumped industries with new jobs, so i didn't bother telling anyone where i was going since it didn't seem relevant. but i feel obliged to mention it given that there's a (remote) possibility i might actually end up working with people from my current company on a project if a customer uses products from both companies...what do?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

congrats! also, you dont need to explain poo poo other than that you're leaving in 2 weeks. cross that hypothetical bridge when you get to it.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

chmods please posted:

i got the money i asked for so i'm gonna say yes to the new place :toot:

i have no idea how to professionally explain that i'm leaving for a competitor. not a direct competitor, but they make reasonably similar products, aimed at a different segment of the market, and we actually offer an integration with one of their products.

in the past i've jumped industries with new jobs, so i didn't bother telling anyone where i was going since it didn't seem relevant. but i feel obliged to mention it given that there's a (remote) possibility i might actually end up working with people from my current company on a project if a customer uses products from both companies...what do?

double check if your employment contract has a non-compete clause or doesn't let you accept offers from vendors/partners and if it's enforceable in your state

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Janitor Prime posted:

double check if your employment contract has a non-compete clause or doesn't let you accept offers from vendors/partners and if it's enforceable in your state

if he was at a level where it’d be enforceable he wouldn’t have to wonder about it. they’re almost always bullshit

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rex-Goliath posted:

if he was at a level where it’d be enforceable he wouldn’t have to wonder about it. they’re almost always bullshit
"at a level"?

did you miss the sandwich shops getting into giant lawsuits over noncompetes a couple years back? cousin of mine in texas basically switched careers after leaving one place

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

JawnV6 posted:

"at a level"?

did you miss the sandwich shops getting into giant lawsuits over noncompetes a couple years back? cousin of mine in texas basically switched careers after leaving one place

i did miss that story apparently

it was actually upheld in court or was it some sandwich shop bullying the gently caress out of their employees and getting away with it?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i dunno what fantasy world you're in where wage slaves have lawyerbux to even mount a fight against something like that, but jimmy johns had egregious non-competes in their sandwich artist contracts up thru 2016

the non-poaching (i work at mcdonalds A, i want a job at mcdonalds B, company won't let me even think about it) BS is just getting struck down now

like you could be giving really lovely ruinous advice and handwaving away legitimate risk depending on the state,, idk maybe sort that out

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Janitor Prime posted:

i don't have any such clause but ty this is good general advice for anyone who lives somewhere where they actually have legal meaning

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

i dunno what fantasy world you're in where wage slaves have lawyerbux to even mount a fight against something like that, but jimmy johns had egregious non-competes in their sandwich artist contracts up thru 2016

the non-poaching (i work at mcdonalds A, i want a job at mcdonalds B, company won't let me even think about it) BS is just getting struck down now

like you could be giving really lovely ruinous advice and handwaving away legitimate risk depending on the state,, idk maybe sort that out

you dont need lawyerbux to bring suit for employment stuff generally, most employment lawyers work on contingency because its always 'joe schmoe vs evil megabux corp' poo poo

like not even 'take some of your settlement money' but 'if we win i just bill the poo poo out of the evil megabux corp'

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

JawnV6 posted:

Europe bitch!

This discussion actually caused me to look-up our current laws and I think they are fairly ok:

* The maximal non-compete length is 1 year
* It cannot be overly broad
* The employer has to pay you at least half of your average monthly earnings for the duration.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
There has to be some kind of economic indicator of how many recruiter messages you get in a day. I think I got 5 in the last 24 hours.

One of them said they were looking for PHP developers who could be trained on Golang, and that this would help me build my resume and find a great job. I couldn't tell if they were trying to hire me for a job, or sell me training. Also it was sent to my work e-mail. Apparently they were a "Food tech" company. What is that, like, an app for delivering food or something?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

cheque_some posted:

Apparently they were a "Food tech" company. What is that, like, an app for delivering food or something?

The one I spoke to that described themselves like this was mealkits but with recommendation algo. Like Netflix for the Jenny Craig market.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xarn posted:

Europe bitch!

This discussion actually caused me to look-up our current laws and I think they are fairly ok:

* The maximal non-compete length is 1 year
* It cannot be overly broad
* The employer has to pay you at least half of your average monthly earnings for the duration.

the first one seems pointless and stupid with the second and third ones in force

i would work at wal-mart if it meant i got half my technology salary for a year

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

cheque_some posted:

There has to be some kind of economic indicator of how many recruiter messages you get in a day. I think I got 5 in the last 24 hours.

One of them said they were looking for PHP developers who could be trained on Golang
A recruiter who knows that skills can be learned, suuuuure. Mods ban this weak troll

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The real horror is that the recruiter thinks that PHP developers can be retrained

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
retrained into golang developers. seeing as golang was specifically designed to be used by terrible programmers...

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
do people post their resumes here or is that a gray-forum-only thing?

like i said i haven't done one of these things in 4-5 years and just wanna make sure nothing sounds weird

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'm new here but I'll allow it.

Warning, I think adding a headshot to a resume is 200% the raddest way to get noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Maybe strip out blatant PII before posting it, if that isn't already the standard