Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I gotta admit, the vocal mixing on Bad Witch is so bad. I have no idea why he thought it was a good idea.
It works really well on God Break Down The Door and on that song only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

The mixing in general on BW is loving weird.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I hate the mixes on the EPs and bad witch they're trash

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pro-shot footage of Metal with Gary Numan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz9-gpeDMO0

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

I always enjoy seeing Gary take the stage with NIN, but I gotta say I wish they'd change up the song(s). I get the whole, "Well, NIN covered this song decades ago, so the audience knows it," but it's one of Numan's most boring songs. That time they did Cars was badass, but there's so much else they could do to expose the audience to more Gary music. I'd love to see them do something like Are Friends Electric? or Remind Me To Smile, or We Are Glass. Or hell, even Berserker.

Anyway, here's an excuse to post this again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlUFKFHNIU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1018270729584775168

They're live streaming their appearance at the Mad Cool Festival in Madrid right now! Not sure how far into the set this is.

e: It's all in black and white but the audio's good.

e2: I guess the black and white is a stylistic choice considering that Metal video was also black and white and so was the cover art for Bad Witch.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 15, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, if that's any indication of what the fall tour will be like, I'm totally okay with missing it. No elaborate stage setup, no standout visuals, no different band members, mostly familiar setlist, etc.

I'm glad they streamed that, though. That's exactly what I was hoping they'd do at least once so I could see what kind of show they're putting on this time around.

Think I saw that tweet/tuned in after they'd played all the Bad Witch songs in the set, though :negative: I wish I'd known they were streaming this earlier! Checking setlist.fm, it looks like they played poo poo Mirror, Ahead of Ourselves and God Break Down The Door earlier in the set.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

e: oops, double post somehow

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 15, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

I hate the mixes on the EPs and bad witch they're trash

Bad Witch is an EP, Trent just didn't wanna call it one because of Spotify's page layout

Also Mariqueen is a genuinely terrible singer, it is hilarious that they had to autotune her as soon as she has to raise her voice the tiniest bit on How Long

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The NIN Live Archive uploaded the full live stream of the Mad Cool Festival appearance from yesterday (minus Hurt, since the stream got cut off before they played it), for those who missed it:
https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/1018535005209931776

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord
Ghosts I-IV and the Quake OST were so drat good. Great coding music. Does NIN have anything else similar?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Free Chicken posted:

Ghosts I-IV and the Quake OST were so drat good. Great coding music. Does NIN have anything else similar?

I mean literally all of Trent and Atticus' soundtrack work (especially The Social Network and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean literally all of Trent and Atticus' soundtrack work (especially The Social Network and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)

Just heard a song off Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. This is good stuff, thanks.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The Social Network OST is basically Ghosts V-VIII (he even re-mixed a couple of Ghosts I-IV tracks to use in the soundtrack).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Free Chicken posted:

There's also an entire genre of music that sounds like that so you could try that too :v:

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

precision posted:

There's also an entire genre of music that sounds like that so you could try that too :v:

Just listen to dataplex by Ryoji Ikeda if you want coding music tbh

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stryder posted:

I always enjoy seeing Gary take the stage with NIN, but I gotta say I wish they'd change up the song(s). I get the whole, "Well, NIN covered this song decades ago, so the audience knows it," but it's one of Numan's most boring songs. That time they did Cars was badass, but there's so much else they could do to expose the audience to more Gary music. I'd love to see them do something like Are Friends Electric? or Remind Me To Smile, or We Are Glass. Or hell, even Berserker.

Anyway, here's an excuse to post this again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlUFKFHNIU

Numan already does a pretty great modern remix of AFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Z4Tv1zn-s

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
poo poo Mirror seems pretty good live and Ahead of Ourselves seems ridiculous (they're somewhere in here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhBBdnd6kpA

I swear your can actually see Trent smiling in the silly post chorus bit during poo poo mirror

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poo poo Mirror seems pretty good live and Ahead of Ourselves seems ridiculous (they're somewhere in here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhBBdnd6kpA

I swear your can actually see Trent smiling in the silly post chorus bit during poo poo mirror
Seeing Ahead of Ourselves played live makes me think The Perfect Drug live really isn't that out of the question. The drumming is already loving crazy here. Although I don't know how likely it would be that they'd play it now, but who the hell knows. They're playing old stuff on this tour that I never thought I'd see them play again.

It certainly seems like it'd be a crowd-pleaser.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I'm pretty sure he dislikes The Perfect Drug. He's not one to usually ride the wave of what is mainstream, and in that case he sort of did.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Emptyquote this if you still bump Hesitation Marks all the way through on the reg

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

spookygonk posted:

Don't tell him about Trump.

Someone probably did, and that's why we have Year Zero. Thanks unnamed time traveler!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Since this got bumped, I just wanted to post that my boss got tired of our lovely hold music and made me change it. Now it's Ghosts 13 and 36.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm pretty sure he dislikes The Perfect Drug. He's not one to usually ride the wave of what is mainstream, and in that case he sort of did.

He does hate that song and I don't understand why, it's not great but it's better than most of With Teeth.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish he put out an album between TDS and The Fragile with more stuff like The Perfect Drug.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish he put out an album between TDS and The Fragile with more stuff like The Perfect Drug.
Didn’t he say in interviews pre-Fragile that he threw away “an album full of Closers,” whatever that means? I wanna hear that one.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

david_a posted:

Didn’t he say in interviews pre-Fragile that he threw away “an album full of Closers,” whatever that means? I wanna hear that one.

I thought he chucked a trip hop type record.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leon Einstein posted:

He ended up calling it Welcome Oblivion and releasing it in 2013 :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

I think if Reznor and Tricky did an album together it would be insanely dope. Tricky is on fire again lately too

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

trent is still salty he took made a hip hop record with a spoken word artist and nobody bought it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

He does hate that song and I don't understand why, it's not great but it's better than most of With Teeth.
I like the sick vroom vroom guitars in it but it's pretty MTV teenybopper.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like I must've missed a whole era where radio pop was AMAZING if The Perfect Drug was supposedly too poppy

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

magiccarpet posted:

trent is still salty he took made a hip hop record with a spoken word artist and nobody bought it

I really wanted to enjoy that Saul Williams album but I just couldn't. There were some stellar individual tracks but taken as a whole it was mediocre at best.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Maybe it's as simple as just not wanting to do a ballad to drugs where he calls them perfect and himself helpless without them

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Donovan Trip posted:

Maybe it's as simple as just not wanting to do a ballad to drugs where he calls them perfect and himself helpless without them

Replace drug with Doug and make it a 2018 lgbt anthem

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

Replace drug with Doug and make it a 2018 lgbt anthem

Or "dog" to make it :3:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry I currently can't stop laughing because I keep picturing Trent Reznor holding a puppy and enthusiasticly singing "you are the perfect dog" to it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sorry I currently can't stop laughing because I keep picturing Trent Reznor holding a puppy and enthusiasticly singing "you are the perfect dog" to it
perfect dog spotted

(how is this video not on yt in non-garbage quality)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The perfect drug kinda sucks honestly

Niggy tardust is really good (and probably saul’s best album still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The "take me with you" part is actually from the dog's perspective

I'm imagining the mellotron being a whining dog sample instead of a flute