Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, do not import trucks. It is very very very difficult to make a profit and if you try to cut corners like alot of people do you leave yourself open to huge liabilities. Just for reference my Sambar was 1,100 at auction. The duties and fees to import it were close to 800 (they charge you 25% on inland shipping, any buying cost (JCD Fee), and the purchase price). Stick to cars, vans, suvs, anything but the trucks unless you have literally no one within 250 miles selling them.

Otherwise you are competing with guys who are willing to take the risk of seizure, legal problems, and other bullshit cause they will A)bribe port officials B)Somehow get them through at 2.5% (still illegal even if the officer makes a mistake) C) Etc.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Beautiful two-tone '89 Prado with manual trans and bonus sweet decals:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Riller posted:

Beautiful two-tone '89 Prado with manual trans and bonus sweet decals:

Sheet Translation posted:

5MT, AC, Diesel, rear mounted spare, warranty booklet, steering and seats worn, wheels and mirrors scratched, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and scratches, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion and cracks, ac not cold,side step dents and scratches, black smoke, other dents scratches corrosion holes.

It's possible that it isn't quite as bad as the sheet says it is, AA houses seem to grade very harshly. Black smoke just might be it starting up the first time (or if it has been sitting a while). Corrosion holes though, eeeehh. It is super rad though, especially that interior :kiss:

EDIT
In the same vein, though I do not have a sheet translation:

Doesn't look like it has the rear locking diff option though, just on the hubs not sticking out the rear wheels.

Rusty but trusty? A bit unique because it has sliding doors on both sides.

If you were to have bought this you get all the AV equipment inside.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 11, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
You can’t tell visually if a Toyota full float axle has a locking diff except by the switch in the dash. That truck has a semi float diff which doesn’t have rear hubs that extend like the front hubs (full float). Semi float diffs don’t have a LSD or locker option. Full float diffs could be open, LSD, or locker, you can’t tell visually

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

gimpsuitjones posted:

You can’t tell visually if a Toyota full float axle has a locking diff except by the switch in the dash. That truck has a semi float diff which doesn’t have rear hubs that extend like the front hubs (full float). Semi float diffs don’t have a LSD or locker option. Full float diffs could be open, LSD, or locker, you can’t tell visually

At least without looking under the truck, full floats have the elocker actuator sticking out of them

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I don't know much anything about this sort of stuff so I am almost assuredly wrong. I was simply basing it on the last one I had:

The beige one is a year newer so maybe things changed.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
What's up with the yellow "!" next to the part time 4wd? Something wrong with the drivetrain?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Some inspiration:

Someone Use Magic To Send My rear end To Daihatsu In The 1990s, Please

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Delorence Fickle posted:

What's up with the yellow "!" next to the part time 4wd? Something wrong with the drivetrain?

Nah it's something that whoever input the data into the machine missed but it gets added based on whatever it is. I think it uses chassis IDs and model numbers and things to add that info. If anything were wrong with those systems it would show up on the sheet written out.

Looks like we all guessed pretty perfectly :c00l:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 12, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I don't know much anything about this sort of stuff so I am almost assuredly wrong. I was simply basing it on the last one I had:

The beige one is a year newer so maybe things changed.

The white one has a full floater, but that could mean open, LSD or locker. They came with a weird and seemingly patternless mix of semi float or full float rears on the same model. Prados are all semi float

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

At least without looking under the truck, full floats have the elocker actuator sticking out of them

Yup and older (pre 90ish) ones with lockers will have cable lockers

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:aaaaa:

These are greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Aw, gotta wait until 2022 to import a Naked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

When are the AZ-1s showing up? I'm anxious.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Who can talk about buying a vehicle in person in Japan with the intent to export? As in literally walking up, handing over a wad of cash, and taking the thing away?
Anyone?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

I can report on car shopping in Japan in November. Going for two weeks, going to keep an eye out for the perfect Sambar Van. I think it would be mostly the same as importing only with an exporter. Buy the car, have it transported to port, work with an english speaking exporter, get it on a boat.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

gimpsuitjones posted:

The white one has a full floater, but that could mean open, LSD or locker. They came with a weird and seemingly patternless mix of semi float or full float rears on the same model. Prados are all semi float

Yeah the white one did have front and rear locking diffs. Made all the difference when I drove to Whole Foods :v:

Seminal Flu posted:

When are the AZ-1s showing up? I'm anxious.

I take delivery of the first set of AZ-1/Pajero/Jimny tomorrow. Since it's summer it should be light out when I get them but no promises. The driver I use is this six and a half foot huge Jamaican dude named Lyndon Johnson (lol) and I told him he probably isn't going to have an easy time of actually driving the AZ-1. On the plus side I imagine he'd be able to bench it. He said he'd have no problems and he hasn't so far.

Hoping that this AZ-1 has the mazdaspeed suspension on it and hoping that it's already chipped since it's already wearing a bunch of mechanical mods already. Right now if I am going to keep one it's probably going to be this one since it's already well beyond stock and it worse cosmetic shape than the other one. I can have my AZ-1 fun and sell the pristine one I have on the way and make the most bucks. Def scrapping that steering wheel though goddamn.
According to the woman that brought her AZ-1 to Jay Leno's garage that episode should be up in about two weeks. :getin:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 13, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

This is also something I am very interested in.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Who wants a former ramen truck?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

KakerMix posted:

Who wants a former ramen truck?

I prefer tofu cars.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Loanarn posted:

I prefer tofu cars.

I dunno, the trucks can really move:
https://youtu.be/J8c5CQtdtgc

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Haven't got a translation of the sheet but this looks like a quite clean and low-mileage Lite Ace 4x4 with ~Skylite~ roof and AC.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I wish they came in more interesting colors.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
That's what vinyl wraps are for! :science:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

angryrobots posted:

I wish they came in more interesting colors.

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

That's what vinyl wraps are for! :science:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

YES.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Skylite Roofs are disrespectful showing off.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-ZtPXrBjKJfmsTB.htm

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Looks like a de-stickered JACCS livery. Kinda cool.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is very neat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I can report on car shopping in Japan in November. Going for two weeks, going to keep an eye out for the perfect Sambar Van. I think it would be mostly the same as importing only with an exporter. Buy the car, have it transported to port, work with an english speaking exporter, get it on a boat.
Bugger, I'm there in September/October! I'd love to do the MCM thing of buying a shitbox kei car to razz around, but seems unlikely to be logistically feasable.

However, I'm also wondering about seeing if I can nab a Motocompo to bring back in my luggage...

BlackMK4 posted:

This is also something I am very interested in.
It may well not be something I can pull off this trip, but might be worth considering for the future.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Midjack posted:

I dunno, the trucks can really move:
https://youtu.be/J8c5CQtdtgc

OK, that was pretty cool.
Bonus points for the ramen truck being one of the '60s MB Transporters.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Sorry, it's dark. But:

I've only driven it around the block in the dark but I can not overstate how loving rad it is goddamn. It feels like you are sitting on a skateboard that's on the ground. Steering is sharp and darty, the engine feels messed with because it seems way quick. The BRIDE seat that's in it is exactly large enough for my rear end, and I'm a thin guy. It's got stiffening bars all over the place, awful fake carbon fiber everywhere in sticker and hard-plastic form on the outside and inside. The auction pictures made it seem like the bottom pinch panels running along the bottom underneath the doors were rusty but they aren't, just dented from either hitting something or being jacked up at the wrong points. It's also supremely dirty.

From my limited time with the thing I can state that the hype for the AZ-1 is real, and is my friend.

The Pajero and Jimny are cool too, although I was told that shipping the OEM bumper and rear spare tire cover within the Jimny itself would be fine only to find out that when it got here all that stuff was missing :argh: I specifically made a big deal about the OEM bumper and spare tire cover being on the car itself to be sure I'd get them, going to far as to suggest paying someone to go out there and actually install the thing but was assured they'd be fine in the truck. Nope, empty and my wife is going to be really bummed out by this. Pajero is just really dang good, the driver's seat has the spring thing underneath it like big rigs have, presumably for super offroad comfort. And like I assumed the 'CD' button and stereo jack is an aux input in the factory stereo and works perfectly with a smartphone pipping in hot beats. Still sounds great.

EDIT
I also got the absolute best bonus anyone could ever ask for on the Jimny's keys:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 14, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wtf I thought it was allowed now to ship things in the vehicles to USA?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Wtf I thought it was allowed now to ship things in the vehicles to USA?

That's what I was told, but it's all missing. All of this stuff:

The OEM bumper, another aftermarket one, another spare tire complete with rear cover, and the rear hard cover that states how it's wind is. Hint: It's Wild

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:captainpop:

Oh gently caress!

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Sorry, it's dark. But:

I've only driven it around the block in the dark but I can not overstate how loving rad it is goddamn. It feels like you are sitting on a skateboard that's on the ground. Steering is sharp and darty, the engine feels messed with because it seems way quick. The BRIDE seat that's in it is exactly large enough for my rear end, and I'm a thin guy. It's got stiffening bars all over the place, awful fake carbon fiber everywhere in sticker and hard-plastic form on the outside and inside. The auction pictures made it seem like the bottom pinch panels running along the bottom underneath the doors were rusty but they aren't, just dented from either hitting something or being jacked up at the wrong points. It's also supremely dirty.

From my limited time with the thing I can state that the hype for the AZ-1 is real, and is my friend.

The Pajero and Jimny are cool too, although I was told that shipping the OEM bumper and rear spare tire cover within the Jimny itself would be fine only to find out that when it got here all that stuff was missing :argh: I specifically made a big deal about the OEM bumper and spare tire cover being on the car itself to be sure I'd get them, going to far as to suggest paying someone to go out there and actually install the thing but was assured they'd be fine in the truck. Nope, empty and my wife is going to be really bummed out by this. Pajero is just really dang good, the driver's seat has the spring thing underneath it like big rigs have, presumably for super offroad comfort. And like I assumed the 'CD' button and stereo jack is an aux input in the factory stereo and works perfectly with a smartphone pipping in hot beats. Still sounds great.

EDIT
I also got the absolute best bonus anyone could ever ask for on the Jimny's keys:

Are those for real TE37 wheels? Didn't know they made them that small.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

That's what I was told, but it's all missing. All of this stuff:

The OEM bumper, another aftermarket one, another spare tire complete with rear cover, and the rear hard cover that states how it's wind is. Hint: It's Wild

Man I’d be raising hell. They told me we could ship spare parts and stuff now. Please update when you hear back about this I don’t want to like buy a set of wheels only to have them not show up in my next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DirkDonkeyroot posted:

Are those for real TE37 wheels? Didn't know they made them that small.

I'd like to think they are real, I looked them up once and 15s are a thing. How can you tell 'cause this is all new to me.

everdave posted:

Man I’d be raising hell. They told me we could ship spare parts and stuff now. Please update when you hear back about this I don’t want to like buy a set of wheels only to have them not show up in my next one.

JCD is fine, Yoshi isn't happy at all either since he too thought it was all right. He's going to do some things with their forwarder and see if they have an idea of what happened to the stuff. I can't expect to hear back from them before Monday with it being the weekend and all.