Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So I'm back on episode 14 and catching up slowly... I got home early and saw they were streaming so I decided to watch a bit of the latest episode, I mean... it's not like there would be any major spoilers or anything, right?

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

gently caress me.

Burch is gonna get so much poo poo from dipshits online, but they got knifed by action economy there. Burch, I think, was the only thing that saved them from a TPK with that little thing at the end.

Alternatively, WELCOME TO THE MIGHTY EIGHT

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Teddybear posted:

gently caress me.

Burch is gonna get so much poo poo from dipshits online, but they got knifed by action economy there. Burch, I think, was the only thing that saved them from a TPK with that little thing at the end.

Alternatively, WELCOME TO THE MIGHTY EIGHT

Big ol' episode spoilers a big part of it is that they really did walk into a situation without any real info on what they were facing. They thought it was going to be 5vs5 and it turned out to be 7vs5, 4 if you count Keg losing her nerve. It would've been way worse if they hadn't planned an ambush and gotten that slow off at the start. I'm amazed they got out of that with just one loss. I know the internet is going to be full of shitheads for Burch for a while and I hope she doesn't take any of it to heart. It's just a game, poo poo happens.

One thing it does show is how crucial healers are, you really are almost crippled without any source of on demand healing spells because potions can only carry you so far and cost a LOT.

They can still resurrect Molly, it just won't be immediately with Revivify and cost a whole lot more since it'll require a higher level spell, probably cast by a priest somewhere.
Alternatively, new Taliesin character!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Also, let’s not forget, Molly has experience in being dead. He’s gonna have an instinctual knowledge of how to get things together after waking up with amnesia this time. If they bury him, I guarantee in twenty episodes they’re gonna run into Molly the amnesiac as an NPC and adopt him.

Actually, I really really hope this happens, that would be cool as hell.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Teddybear posted:

Also, let’s not forget, Molly has experience in being dead. He’s gonna have an instinctual knowledge of how to get things together after waking up with amnesia this time. If they bury him, I guarantee in twenty episodes they’re gonna run into Molly the amnesiac as an NPC and adopt him.

Actually, I really really hope this happens, that would be cool as hell.

I do think ushering in Friday the 13th with a blood sacrifice is very on brand for Taliesin.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

drat this thread for getting me into this show now at episode 16. Still laughing at Nott killing the baby

To the delight of a friend who is a DM this may get me back into D&D.

I don't want to spoil what is coming up, but did tonight's episode have a new DNDBEYOND discount code? I know I missed out on the 25% code for the whole collection just hoping they had a new one tonight.

edit: Ok, watched the first few mins of the stream to check for a new code and I caught Sam's latest "promo". I'm still laughing

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 13, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Did anyone recognize any of the music in this last episode?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 13, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Twitter is not very careful about spoilers at all :(

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I was about to complain about spoilers on Twitter, too, and then I found myself clicking them in this thread anyway. I have no self control.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I have to wait till Monday for it to come out on youtube, yeah?

This sounds like it might be tricky.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

There's a rebroadcast starting in ~6 minutes
http://www.wheniscriticalrole.com/rebroadcast

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
The Inciting Incident was put up on youtube almost immediately, and it's making me laugh so much for some reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Keru posted:

There's a rebroadcast starting in ~6 minutes
http://www.wheniscriticalrole.com/rebroadcast

quote:

Next CR Rebroadcast: Not Available

Guess I'm waiting 'til Monday then. :sigh:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I picked a heck of an episode to check out early for the first time in a long time since I'm on a normal sleep schedule for a change and not up all night. Big ol' spoilers for the latest episode:

Based on all the tricks the bad guys were pulling out they were doomed to lose from the start unless the dice really went their way and they efficiently teamed up on one person at a time. It seems like they were basically all multi-class superdudes, and lorenzo busting out a cone of cold while otherwise being a fighter was a huge swing against the party. It was all over super quick, like for anyone getting on keg's case the best she could have done is take out the sorcerer, who didn't go on to really be effective in the fight anyway with a whiffed pattern and saved against hold persons.

The big dice event that might have kept them in it is stunning the druid, that means no dispel and the possibility of slow staying up which was the only thing remotely keeping them in it, and even then it only put them at a slight-ish disadvantage rather than an overwhelming disadvantage.

It really would have taken Nott and Keg both going full ham on attacking, Nott probably has to get the rogue or barbarian laughing constantly then move on to helping team up on people, and even with all that with a cone of cold in the back pocket and very limited healing I just don't see how they beat those suckers.

We'll have no more blood hunter/vicious mockery gripes now though, and if someone had to die Molly's the most interesting choice from a narrative standpoint since as was mentioned he has seemed to die once before and could come back since who the heck knows what his deal is. This also obviously raises the stakes a ton and is definitely going to be a major turning point in the entire lifetime of the campaign.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Dragonatrix posted:

Guess I'm waiting 'til Monday then. :sigh:

Same. The rebroadcast times are real bad for Europeans :(

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

NowonSA posted:

I picked a heck of an episode to check out early for the first time in a long time since I'm on a normal sleep schedule for a change and not up all night. Big ol' spoilers for the latest episode:

Based on all the tricks the bad guys were pulling out they were doomed to lose from the start unless the dice really went their way and they efficiently teamed up on one person at a time. It seems like they were basically all multi-class superdudes, and lorenzo busting out a cone of cold while otherwise being a fighter was a huge swing against the party. It was all over super quick, like for anyone getting on keg's case the best she could have done is take out the sorcerer, who didn't go on to really be effective in the fight anyway with a whiffed pattern and saved against hold persons.

The big dice event that might have kept them in it is stunning the druid, that means no dispel and the possibility of slow staying up which was the only thing remotely keeping them in it, and even then it only put them at a slight-ish disadvantage rather than an overwhelming disadvantage.

It really would have taken Nott and Keg both going full ham on attacking, Nott probably has to get the rogue or barbarian laughing constantly then move on to helping team up on people, and even with all that with a cone of cold in the back pocket and very limited healing I just don't see how they beat those suckers.

We'll have no more blood hunter/vicious mockery gripes now though, and if someone had to die Molly's the most interesting choice from a narrative standpoint since as was mentioned he has seemed to die once before and could come back since who the heck knows what his deal is. This also obviously raises the stakes a ton and is definitely going to be a major turning point in the entire lifetime of the campaign.

One of the more popular theories I've seen kicked around is that Lorenzo is actually an Oni, which fits: they get Cone of Cold as an innate spellcasting, they use Glaives and are generally cruel shits and they do use shapeshifting to pass as humans at times, so not _that_ bad of a mismatched difficulty, but they're still CR7.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm on Episode 114 (I have no fingernails left, this is TENSE) and I love watching Travis and Joe Manganiello being bros.

Edit - "What level?" "Nine." HOLY poo poo SAM!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I'm on Episode 114 (I have no fingernails left, this is TENSE) and I love watching Travis and Joe Manganiello being bros.

YES.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CobiWann posted:

That moment is such a heart-wrenching one. Only Matt and maybe Liam realised the real importance of that at the time. :(

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

That moment is such a heart-wrenching one. Only Matt and maybe Liam realised the real importance of that at the time. :(

I swear you can see Sam sniffling a little beforehand when he realizes what he has to do.

I can't get over the finale, still. I loved the scene with the Raven Queen, and especially how forever-proud dickhead Percy tries to square off with a god while almost loving dead from squaring off with another, angrier god. Everyone is all sorts of hosed up and there are very real tears flowing and Liam isn't in the rest of the episode which hurts even more.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haven’t seen the ep yet, but apparently some people are being real lovely to Burch as a result of last night.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Keru posted:

One of the more popular theories I've seen kicked around is that Lorenzo is actually an Oni, which fits: they get Cone of Cold as an innate spellcasting, they use Glaives and are generally cruel shits and they do use shapeshifting to pass as humans at times, so not _that_ bad of a mismatched difficulty, but they're still CR7.

Oh wow, yeah that completely makes sense for me.

I definitely feel like Matt cooked the books to hand the Nein their first big loss if that's the case, and I have to assume it is since it all adds up too well for it not to be. Nothing wrong with that, but man Lorenzo's totally going to be the big bad for quite awhile, since it seems like he has a few built in escape spells to get away and continue to menace the party even after they finally have him on the ropes. Maybe they can get some of his blood and bring it to the Gentleman to track him down, then set off on a revenge mission.

Like just going by standard CR stuff as I know it an Oni on it's own would have been about the standard of what they'd face, so Oni + 4 solid seemingly multi-classed characters + 2 random thugs is the kind of thing you bring like, a full level 8 or 9 Mighty Nein party to I think if you want a fair fight. Even if Keg and Nott were chipping in their max damage or spell abilities each round I think they take out two of them at best before they get stomped into the ground.

Their only hope for a win was a full-blown perfect ambush with everyone getting in max attacks via a surprise round, Beau consistently landing stunning strikes, and just all the dice going in their favor with the enemies not saving while they make their saves against big stuff like hold person. Still a fun fight to see though, I'm really looking forward to their next showdown where hopefully the odds aren't stacked completely against them, with maybe a guest or two on their side or the return of the full Nein to get in on the fight.

CobiWann posted:

Yep, I told ya it was a wild fight.

Pollyanna posted:

Haven’t seen the ep yet, but apparently some people are being real lovely to Burch as a result of last night.

This was sadly inevitable after how it all went down, people like to whine about stuff like that. All I've seen is support after a brief glance at twitter, but I'm sure people are tossing some hate her way online. I do see where they're coming from since in my games I've had people who play their characters as not useful in fights both major and minor, where it makes sense for the character but can you PLEASE stop spending your turns healing the people trying to kill us or PLEASE not run away from the fight, etc. so I get the sense of frustration, but even if it is something that irritates me a great deal I don't feel the need to get on people's cases in other games, especially when it's done in such a public way.

It's a sad fact that a lot of people take this stuff really seriously and are sure that they know the "right" way to go about it, whether that's rules, combat, or even roleplaying, and by putting it out there in such a public way I'm sure they've each had to deal with negative feedback (to put it kindly), though I do think it is far outweighed by fans praising the show and sending them fun gifs and art.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 13, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wow. That whole fight was just gently caressing insane. Talk about the definition of clutch...I don't know if I can handle the emotional roller coaster that the final episode promises to be...

...and I want to see Arkhan show up again after an absolutely awesome final action. I had to rewind that part three times just to stare in majestic awe.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Wow. That whole fight was just gently caressing insane. Talk about the definition of clutch...I don't know if I can handle the emotional roller coaster that the final episode promises to be...

...and I want to see Arkhan show up again after an absolutely awesome final action. I had to rewind that part three times just to stare in majestic awe.

Probably the best betrayal, that was actually planned out well ahead of time and not something they fudged rolls and stuff with, Joe realised his best moment was right then and there, when everyone was still stunned (irl) after the big fight. It's beautiful

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

There's an interview Joe gave about what happened to Arkhan after the end of Campaign 1 floating out there on the internet that you should be able to google up Cobiwann. He kind of talked about it a bit with Matt and then just kind of aired it out there on its own. It's worth checking it, it didn't really go in the direction that I expected it to, although in retrospect it does add up.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

NowonSA posted:

There's an interview Joe gave about what happened to Arkhan after the end of Campaign 1 floating out there on the internet that you should be able to google up Cobiwann. He kind of talked about it a bit with Matt and then just kind of aired it out there on its own. It's worth checking it, it didn't really go in the direction that I expected it to, although in retrospect it does add up.

Thanks! I'll fit it in. I still have the final episode...then the wrap-up...then all the videos where the players GM'd...then the Shadow of War session...then the Paranoia game...then the Deadlands game...then the escape room...and I'm sure there's other one-shots and what not that I skipped over during my watch.

Oh, and last night's episode. Apparently something big happened per all the black bars. :ohdear:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Heh yeah, some poo poo went down at the end of the latest ep.

I liked that paranoia game quite a bit, that's a fun little game to check out with some non CR peeps involved.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Liam's Quests, the Vampire games (mainly the first one though the second one has its moments) and the Honey Heists are all must watch's

Thokul
Nov 7, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

The Liam's Quests, the Vampire games (mainly the first one though the second one has its moments) and the Honey Heists are all must watch's

I'd say the Grog one shot is a must watch too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CobiWann posted:

Oh, and last night's episode. Apparently something big happened per all the black bars. :ohdear:

Dril tweet about what happened without context:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Thanks! I'll fit it in. I still have the final episode...then the wrap-up...then all the videos where the players GM'd...then the Shadow of War session...then the Paranoia game...then the Deadlands game...then the escape room...and I'm sure there's other one-shots and what not that I skipped over during my watch.

There's also the fairly recent (and short!) Jocks Machina one-shot that was run by 5e Designer and Noted Bad GM Mike Mearls. Travis is the only CR cast member of the four players, but Joe's there as well (and so is... WWE Superstar Paul Wight).

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Keru posted:

I love this idea. This makes so much sense and an Oni makes for a much more interesting first arc villain than just some dude named Lorenzo who killed Molly almost by accident.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CuwiKhons posted:

I love this idea. This makes so much sense and an Oni makes for a much more interesting first arc villain than just some dude named Lorenzo who killed Molly almost by accident.

Oh he killed him very intentionally. He got the opportunity by accident.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean, the abilities fit too well for me to think it's anything but what we're theorizing it is. It caught me completely by surprise too to see a fighter bust that out, I guess I just never realized how much shock value there is in an unexpected move coming out from npc/enemy analogs for player created characters and archetypes like fighter, wizard, barbarian, etc.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Oh he killed him very intentionally. He got the opportunity by accident.

That's true. Lorenzo meant to kill him, though I think Matt didn't. Matt would have known those two attacks wouldn't kill him and Molly would auto-stabilize on his turn thanks to his periapt. He seemed very taken aback by Molly knocking his own dumb rear end out.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Hexblade fits really well too, and it would fit with how powerful he seemed to be by comparison.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Arthil posted:

Hexblade fits really well too, and it would fit with how powerful he seemed to be by comparison.

Also, given the Evil Us themes Matt likes to do, he's a good nasty counter to Fjord.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

Also, given the Evil Us themes Matt likes to do, he's a good nasty counter to Fjord.

Yeah the whole setup of the baddies was giving me those kind of vibes. Makes me wish Vox Machina had fought more against what are basically bad guy PCs controlled by the DM.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

NowonSA posted:

Yeah the whole setup of the baddies was giving me those kind of vibes. Makes me wish Vox Machina had fought more against what are basically bad guy PCs controlled by the DM.

Matt did a bit of that with Vox Machina, I think? Not literally, but thematically in terms of their gameplay motifs. Anna was the most obvious case since she was basically Evil Percy, Kevdak was Evil Grog, Saundor was Evil Vex. You can sort of argue Raishan was Evil Keyleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah he certainly did it with individuals, but it was pretty wild to see a whole team at work and doing things beyond being generic goons with longbows and such.

I guess it actually was the norm for humanoids to have those traditional class abilities in campaign 1, they just didn't stand out as much or were limited to 2-3 proper cases in a fight, and like many D&D parties they fought a LOT of stuff crazier than humanoid races.