Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Totalbiscuit is literally in the same category of person as a guy who walked into a school and killed 17 kids.

- a well adjusted individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

khwarezm posted:

Totalbiscuit is literally in the same category of person as a guy who walked into a school and killed 17 kids.

Now, now, let's be fair. It was 14 kids.

Since the other 3 were adults that makes someone being mad at video game framerates totally equivalent.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't understand why people gotta go all hyperbolic when it comes to people like totalbiscuit.

dude was a narcissist with a giant over-inflated ego (155 IQ lmfao), who backed a movement that from day 1 was entirely about misogyny, and who was, at best, extremely irresponsible and uncaring when it came to the effects that making GBS threads on other people while having a gigantic following has, and at worst was fully aware of those consequences and willfully employed them. either way, dude sucked, we don't need to compare him to fuckin mass shooters to say that he was lovely.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

khwarezm posted:

When did I say that? What I said is that in a world where digital communication is everpresent, things like digital communication are hugely important and are shaping how word gets out.

Guess what, the internet is real life, get with it and pull your head out of your rear end. Saying poo poo like "I hope you get cancer" or "we should target harassment onto women who want to be in the games industry" online is no different from saying it in real life, and you should expect to get punished for it. Pulling this weak-rear end "lol i trol u" poo poo like you're in the last century or some poo poo isn't going to fly anymore.

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/965611967036710912

But okay I guess, "the internet doesn't matter", sure. The only voice that matters is the conventional media one, where it's all privileged white guys all the way down, you're right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

When did I say that?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Seriously though what level of broken do you have to be to think that 'nah the internet doesn't affect anything and people being abused by mobs of angry white gamermen should just turn the screen off'. Especially in the wake of, like, Parkland.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

When did I say that? What I said is that in a world where digital communication is everpresent, things like digital communication are hugely important and are shaping how word gets out.

Guess what, the internet is real life, get with it and pull your head out of your rear end. Saying poo poo like "I hope you get cancer" or "we should target harassment onto women who want to be in the games industry" online is no different from saying it in real life, and you should expect to get punished for it. Pulling this weak-rear end "lol i trol u" poo poo like you're in the last century or some poo poo isn't going to fly anymore.

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/965611967036710912

But okay I guess, "the internet doesn't matter", sure. The only voice that matters is the conventional media one, where it's all privileged white guys all the way down, you're right.

Or, to put it another way, when you direct a harassment campaign, you should probably be aware that there’s a non-zero chance of monsters like the Parkland guy being in it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bakeneko posted:

So he told a non-pc joke once and he’s now guilty of “spewing hate speech”?

As a trans woman, I do consider mocking the idea of me wanting my gender identity to be taken seriously to be hate speech, so yeah.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK so uh, TB? As a topic? Let's not. He was a huge piece of poo poo but he's dead now. Stop. No more TB chat.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
MOD EDIT: Do not share PMs.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 13, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
The founder of the subreddit r/KotakuinAction, u/David-me, set the subreddit to private last night. Immediately afterwards, he went to r/Drama and made the following post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/8yh18h/righting_a_wrong/

As always... don’t read the comments. For those of you who want a tl;dr, David says the subreddit is “cancerous,” that Reddit admins only keep it open for the money, and that he hopes r/The_Donald gets shut down next.

Anyways, despite Reddit admins claiming the site is a bastion of free speech and that we must respect the wishes of subreddit leadership, they reopened the sub within an hour.

yeah, he is giant fuckhead still but at least its step in the right direction, also lol at reddit being this openly awful,,, again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know I'm about as far from innocent as you can get about kicking up this argument, but maybe we should just have a total, permanent moratorium of talk about TB and say that in the OP.

E; I guess if it's permanent it's not a moratorium :thunk:

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 13, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just loving dig up his corpse and run him through a trial, find him guilty, and draw and quarter him.

This , but unironically

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I know I'm about as far from innocent as you can get about kicking up this argument, but maybe we should just have a total, permanent moratorium of talk about TB and say that in the OP.

E; I guess if it's permanent it's not a moratorium :thunk:

Hey good idea let's do that we're doing that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did I just wander into GBS?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did I just wander into GBS?

Right now I wish I modded GBS

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm not a big Red Letter Media fan, but I like re:View. They recently did an episode on The Thing.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm not a big Red Letter Media fan, but I like re:View. They recently did an episode on The Thing.

Pass. Even though I'm Canadian, I've got a low tolerance for The Canadians.

Hey! Contra's new vid is heeeeeeeere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyaftqCORT4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

New Contrapoints too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyaftqCORT4

This one seems a little more ambitious from a production standpoint. The dig at Satie wounds the soul of 20-year-old me. I wonder if the Peterson Clean Room Boys' Brigade will still be nice and polite after this one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

adamcantsleep posted:

Pass. Even though I'm Canadian, I've got a low tolerance for The Canadians.

Hey! Contra's new vid is heeeeeeeere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyaftqCORT4

Passive aggression is the most devastating cruelty a Canadian can employ. That and, like, just nodding and not saying anything and slipping away when you're not looking.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The founder of the subreddit r/KotakuinAction, u/David-me, set the subreddit to private last night. Immediately afterwards, he went to r/Drama and made the following post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/8yh18h/righting_a_wrong/

As always... don’t read the comments. For those of you who want a tl;dr, David says the subreddit is “cancerous,” that Reddit admins only keep it open for the money, and that he hopes r/The_Donald gets shut down next.

Anyways, despite Reddit admins claiming the site is a bastion of free speech and that we must respect the wishes of subreddit leadership, they reopened the sub within an hour.

yeah, he is giant fuckhead still but at least its step in the right direction, also lol at reddit being this openly awful,,, again.

I always thought r/the_Donald was supposed to be an ironic sub, not actually full of real supporters...

Granted I've never gone on it to know that, but it's one of the biggest subreddits on the site, I didn't think that many people legitimately supported Trump. I've just taken a quick look at the contents and jesus christ, why hasn't it been nuked from orbit already.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Asuron posted:

I always thought r/the_Donald was supposed to be an ironic sub, not actually full of real supporters...

Granted I've never gone on it to know that, but it's one of the biggest subreddits on the site, I didn't think that many people legitimately supported Trump. I've just taken a quick look at the contents and jesus christ, why hasn't it been nuked from orbit already.

It had a lot of bots. If you compare the total number of users to the number of active users on any particular day, you'll see that a ton of accounts suddenly stopped vising in January of 2017.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Asuron posted:

Granted I've never gone on it to know that, but it's one of the biggest subreddits on the site, I didn't think that many people legitimately supported Trump.
Uh, you probably shouldn't look at the results of the last presidential election.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Asuron posted:

nah, maybe it was at one point, just as KIA was just probably at first just laughing at gawker/kotaku. but toxic dickheads made it even worse.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Uh, you probably shouldn't look at the results of the last presidential election.

Most of the American population doesn't vote ( mind boggling as an Australian, we have to vote here or get fined) and lots of other stuff being levelled at Trump regarding how he got the votes is in enough to call into question how much support he truly has.

But on reddit, I thought his support base would just be nonexistent.

business hammocks posted:

It had a lot of bots. If you compare the total number of users to the number of active users on any particular day, you'll see that a ton of accounts suddenly stopped vising in January of 2017.

This explains it a lot better, thank you.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Asuron posted:

But on reddit, I thought his support base would just be nonexistent.

I mean, Reddit is basically entirely privileged upper middle class whites, and it just so happens that is who voted for him. It kinda checks out on paper.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a meta-analysis that tracks reddit accounts' visits to specific subreddits, and as I recall the pattern was that slowly mras, white supremacists, and gamergaters started spending more time on the_donald than on whatever reddit they came from, and once there started visiting the other nodes more frequently, so a redpill type would first start vising the_donald and then start visiting nazi subs, and the same would be true of the others. Fatpeoplehate apparently had the biggest crossover with the_donald and the most active engagement with mra and nazi subs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, Reddit is basically entirely privileged upper middle class whites, and it just so happens that is who voted for him. It kinda checks out on paper.

A lot of reddit is full of angry internet nerds complaining about the SJW leftist boogieman trying to keep them down. There's even one woman's issues subreddit and half the comments in any given post are inevitably men telling the poster that they're wrong and dumb or that their issue isn't real. There was a bout of drama recently where it came to light that one subreddit - another women's subreddit focused on breast issues and bra-size support - had a massive influx of creeps jerking off to the topics and pretending to be women to skeeve on posters in their private messages.

Reddit is bad and full of bad people. Have a classic;

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Jesus that pic.

And yeah, Reddit definitely has people who sincerely believe in MAGA. Some of it is "ironic", but tell me a site with subreddits like Rapefugees and TumblrInAction don't genuinely think of leftists as cancer.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

God that was a good two years before GG. I'm shocked we didn't see 2018 coming

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

All of reddit is cancer.

Except for the /bingingwithbabish subreddit. And /retrogaming is actually pretty cool too. As with a lot of things the smaller and more concentrated pieces are likelier to have decent communities but anything big that isn't designed purely for silly YouTuber games or about subjects like food or whatever is an irradiated hellhole of every different flavour of the Internet's very worst. Especially the political subreddits which clearly deserve to be cleansed with fire, without exception.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

A lot of reddit is full of angry internet nerds complaining about the SJW leftist boogieman trying to keep them down. There's even one woman's issues subreddit and half the comments in any given post are inevitably men telling the poster that they're wrong and dumb or that their issue isn't real. There was a bout of drama recently where it came to light that one subreddit - another women's subreddit focused on breast issues and bra-size support - had a massive influx of creeps jerking off to the topics and pretending to be women to skeeve on posters in their private messages.

Reddit is bad and full of bad people. Have a classic;

i am always amused how many people think SA is some super boogeyman site that has power everywhere. also why arn't people doxing these pedo fucks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am always amused how many people think SA is some super boogeyman site that has power everywhere. also why arn't people doxing these pedo fucks.

Multiple internet nazis legitimately believe SA was the origin of people caring about social justice on the internet and that Laissez's Fair was the origin of marxism on the internet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Multiple internet nazis legitimately believe SA was the origin of people caring about social justice on the internet and that Laissez's Fair was the origin of marxism on the internet.

yeah, I remember hearing that from a friend a few times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

SA basically did that though (might need archives?).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I wish we still did that poo poo. hell i kinda miss the zombaby saga and watching the dickhead creeper father try to play mind games and poo poo.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I remember violentacrez from the Reddit threads. Did that guy ever get put in jail?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jeez that's weird to hear considering some of the stuff you see on GBS. Especially just after the 2016 election and the 'detumblrification' there was some real bad poo poo.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

DoubleCakes posted:

I remember violentacrez from the Reddit threads. Did that guy ever get put in jail?

No. He basically dropped off the net for a couple years, finally opened a Twitter account late last year, tweets banal stuff about programming a couple times a week, that's about it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

All of reddit is cancer.

Except for the /bingingwithbabish subreddit. And /retrogaming is actually pretty cool too. As with a lot of things the smaller and more concentrated pieces are likelier to have decent communities but anything big that isn't designed purely for silly YouTuber games or about subjects like food or whatever is an irradiated hellhole of every different flavour of the Internet's very worst. Especially the political subreddits which clearly deserve to be cleansed with fire, without exception.

I'll say that my only experience with Reddit is when doing Google searches for game-related issues (not technical issues, but tips/strategy), and it struck as somewhere where you could find a specific for a specific game or category, and then just drop in and ask about it. I know that doesn't sound like much, but here on SA, the issue I have is that you need to hope there's a thread running based on that topic. Like I wanted to ask about something pertaining to VtM:B, but the thread for it had fallen into the archives, and I couldn't find another thread that really related to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Does Top Hat Gaming Man have a problem with trans people? I've enjoyed several of his videos but then I've come across a few where he's said questionable things. In this one he's mocking the pronoun thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf85czDkxoY