Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is probably old news but there was apparently a concept trailer for a 4th Madoka movie released a (fairly long) while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQHjsfRTSM

Has there been any word from the creators regarding it since then or is the project basically dead by this point?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i only have five more episodes of hugtto and then i have to start waiting for more

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Colonel posted:

i only have five more episodes of hugtto and then i have to start waiting for more

Waiting is hard, but also it makes every Sunday great(or Saturday if you’re fluent in japanese)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Aurora posted:

madoka is targetted at me, a lesbian

idk I think I'm a Precure lesbian. I liked Madoka, but I like magical schoolgirls singing about love and friendship during a credits dance party even more. Bonus points if the lyrics are super gay.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Pikestaff posted:

idk I think I'm a Precure lesbian. I liked Madoka, but I like magical schoolgirls singing about love and friendship during a credits dance party even more. Bonus points if the lyrics are super gay.

Have you listened to Chocolat and Macaron's duet yet?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Pikestaff posted:

i can be both...!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nodosaur posted:

Have you listened to Chocolat and Macaron's duet yet?

So, so many times.

I may or may not have also uploaded the song to my Spotify and bought figures of both Chocolat and Macaron. :shobon:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

all these new lieutenants in the hugtto op seem badass

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://i.gyazo.com/4ce00081175e67f17dbd9b491f376d82.mp4

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Reminder that the Precure manga is even gayer and I wish it was in English

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/1012293547310047232

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

God bless Kamikita, everything they draw is incredibly gay and also cute

"Hey, so you know how we had a love confession in Kira Kira? Let's kick it up a notch and turn them into Lady and the Tramp and give them babies"

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/961923474934480897

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Watched GoPri ep 18, did not expect Princess Twilight to take the precures on personally. And then lose. I'm even a little disappointed in her for that. While I realize she's not the final boss, it still makes me wonder how they're going to spend the remaining 32 episodes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just finished watching Revue Starlight. Holy poo poo, that was intense and fascinatingly beautiful. Also don't be fooled into thinking it's "just an idol/musical anime"- It's absolutely a magical girls show in the style of Revolutionary Girl Utena. If you loved Utena, you will love the first episode of Starlight Revue.

Please watch this really cool show everyone!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks Precure sure was an episode of Aikatsu in all the really good ways

Also the ex Criasu generals got their lives in order quickly after leaving the company which is Toei just dunking on capitalism again :lol:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This weeks Precure sure was an episode of Aikatsu in all the really good ways

Also the ex Criasu generals got their lives in order quickly after leaving the company which is Toei just dunking on capitalism again :lol:

Gosh, I wonder why a bunch of people working for Toei would be mad about capitalism?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Toei's not even good at it what with the not streaming and the region locking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In Hugtto chat, I’m seeing a lot of posts about Emiru and Ruru, but not a lot about Hana’s giant crush on Homare. Does that go anywhere?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Emiru took over the show for the last month, so Homare and Saaya stuff have been put on the backburner, though it started up again with Hana stuff as things are now shifting back to the main plot

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
How the hell is Daigan alive?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/veryflimsy/status/1018550541415342082

*screaming*

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Where exactly do I begin if I've never seen any of Precure?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hungry posted:

They’re mostly self-contained, so just dropping in with Hugtto or one of the other well-received ones should be fine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hungry posted:

The first season is pretty good to wean yourself into it but it's a bit different tonanly compared to its successors (still a good show though). The current season is also good but it takes a few episodes to build up steam.

As mentioned, there isn't much in the way of internal continuity between seasons aside from a few direct sequels. Just pick whatever looks appealing to you and go from there.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I would just jump straight into Hugtto. As has been mentioned, the first couple episodes are kinda slow, but I found myself pretty in after episode 6 or so.

Go! Princess PreCure is also pretty good.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Larryb posted:

This is probably old news but there was apparently a concept trailer for a 4th Madoka movie released a (fairly long) while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQHjsfRTSM

Has there been any word from the creators regarding it since then or is the project basically dead by this point?

japanese studios are famously tight lipped about stuff they're working on, but i think it's a safe assumption it is probably still in production, especially with shaft's other cash cow monogatari (i think?) finally over. they've been pushing the madoka franchise pretty hard in the last year (largely because of the mobage) even going as far to hop on the stage play bandwagon for the first time for the franchise. i would not be surprised if they tie the game into promotion for the new anime project

e: also the mobage has some good transformation animations particularly sayaka's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7qmqFeI6BU

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 17, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Homura and Sickle posted:

japanese studios are famously tight lipped about stuff they're working on, but i think it's a safe assumption it is probably still in production, especially with shaft's other cash cow monogatari (i think?) finally over. they've been pushing the madoka franchise pretty hard in the last year (largely because of the mobage) even going as far to hop on the stage play bandwagon for the first time for the franchise. i would not be surprised if they tie the game into promotion for the new anime project

e: also the mobage has some good transformation animations particularly sayaka's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7qmqFeI6BU

Though then again, this particular trailer was released privately back in 2015 and to my knowledge there hasn't been any news since then. There's still room for a sequel though given how the third movie ended (Homura is either evil or so obsessed with Madoka that she doesn't really care what anyone else thinks, the girls are now in an alternate world she created and only Sayaka seems to remember what happened beforehand, Wraiths are apparently still around but it's ambiguous whether the girls still have their powers, etc.). It'll be interesting to see how and when they plan on reviving this series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hungry posted:

whichever one seems interesting to you. hugtto's a great starting point. if you want something complete, heartcatch has the best action, kirakira has the best comedy, and gopri is the best middle ground between those two and has the best character development, imo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nielsm posted:

Watched GoPri ep 18, did not expect Princess Twilight to take the precures on personally. And then lose. I'm even a little disappointed in her for that. While I realize she's not the final boss, it still makes me wonder how they're going to spend the remaining 32 episodes.

There are still 2 generals left.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

There are still 2 generals left.

Also the return of best general

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

whichever one seems interesting to you. hugtto's a great starting point. if you want something complete, heartcatch has the best action, kirakira has the best comedy, and gopri is the best middle ground between those two and has the best character development, imo.

My daughters started watching season one since that's the only one on crunchyroll. They laugh uncontrollably for the entirety of the intro I guess cause the song is extremely silly?!

Anyway after seeing it in action I think the character designs are really well done, the big boots and sleeves emphasize motion during the fight scenes in a really cool way.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's good that they're watching season one so that once they watch hugtto episode 22 will blow their minds

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

My daughters started watching season one since that's the only one on crunchyroll. They laugh uncontrollably for the entirety of the intro I guess cause the song is extremely silly?!

Anyway after seeing it in action I think the character designs are really well done, the big boots and sleeves emphasize motion during the fight scenes in a really cool way.

Those are probably the most sensible outfits in the entire franchise to be honest, from Splash Star on things start getting a lot flashier and more detailed.

That said, I still have a soft spot for the first season. As others have said it's basically DBZ for girls (in both the fighting and humor aspects, the two shows even share a director). Also Nagisa still remains one of my top favorite Cures (though Honoka has her moments as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 18, 2018

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

P-Mack posted:

I think season 1 is still a good start just to get an idea of where Precure's starting point and base themes come from. Which I would say is filling the gap left by Sailor Moon ending and putting in a younger cast and adding some DBZ fights in there.
The cast isn't too large so its easier to keep track of everyone. Looking back at all the pretty cures that have come out season 1 reminds me of the original Kamen Rider V1 and V2 in comparison to the newer Kamen Rider series. Less flashy bells and whistles and more basic fists and feets for power.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Guys, something seems off about Lulu.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fantastic long read in which a Kotaku journalist delves into the doomed attempt to make an American Sailor Moon TV show, and searches for the lost, legendary pilot episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, having now seen all 3 incarnations of the franchise plus some of the manga (which I probably like the least though it does have some good bits like Venus stabbing Beryl with a sword and Rei's crows actually having some significance in the plot), I'm curious about something. Why is Rei's character so drastically different in the 90's version compared to nearly every other incarnation of her?

In most versions she's stoic, serious and has little to no interest in men but in the 90's series (which was the version of her I was most familiar with) she's almost the complete opposite (though she does soften a bit as the series progresses). While to be fair, I kind of find the sassy, more hot-headed Rei to be far more entertaining I'm curious why they changed her specifically when nearly every other scout is about the same no matter what the version (or at the very least, wasn't that drastically changed). Though my guess is that it was to differentiate her from Ami a bit more, which makes sense considering the long stretch between Mars and Jupiter in that version.

In spite of the changes I still like the 90's version the best (though making Mamoru a college student was also kind of weird, especially since Usagi is still 14), if only because it actually gives more focus to characters not named Usagi, Chibiusa or Mamoru. PGSM is second best as I kind of like some of the more Sentai-esque monster designs better than the ones from the anime/manga and Luna replacing Chibiusa as the team's "sixth ranger" was an interesting idea. While I doubt it's going to happen, I honestly wouldn't mind a second season one day though they'd probably have to replace most of the cast by now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Darth Walrus posted:

Fantastic long read in which a Kotaku journalist delves into the doomed attempt to make an American Sailor Moon TV show, and searches for the lost, legendary pilot episode.

That was fascinating.

I guess you can't really blame the dude who spearheaded it for trying. I mean, it worked for Super Sentai/Power Rangers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

the other hamsters besides Harry and Bishin there are pretty clearly Papple, Listol, Charalit, and Daigan, right?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the blue one next to bishin seems to be the skinny blue haired guy that's been around since the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Yeah that's Listol. The one next to him has Papple's hair curl, another has Charalit's blonde hair, and the green one is Daigan because green.