Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

For purposes of unlocking the Master Sword, do you need to get all the lv 2 weapons and such, or will it count if I jump right to a higher level weapon?

Almost positive I read in this thread somewhere that it doesn't count. You need all of the intermediates, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Silver Falcon posted:

For purposes of unlocking the Master Sword, do you need to get all the lv 2 weapons and such, or will it count if I jump right to a higher level weapon?

You can jump straight to a higher level weapon, but then you must either beat the mission that gives the Lv. 2 or you hope it drops through normal weapon drops by playing missions because getting a higher level weapon unlocks all lower level ones for normal drops.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
What I did was beeline it to all the 4+ weapons and then repeat Lorule's Yuga Divisive map over and over with Weapon Rank III boost.

That helps work towards 5* 4+ weapons, as well as 3 and 4 drops for everyone

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
"Complete the game to unlock the master sword" seems loving stupid. If it was to beat the first Adventure Map or even just the Legends mode that'd be far more reasonable.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Getting all the weapons up to level 3 makes the master sword about the same power as a level 4 weapon, and the second unlock makes it comparable to a 5* level 4 weapon but it still won't be as good as a 5* 4+ weapon because it won't have 2 elements or any skills. Really the master sword is kind of poo poo once you've unlocked rank 3 weapons and the 4k skills.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
The 4k skills are really great, grab 90 skultullas and bask in the glory that is hasty attack. It helps a lot with the slower characters.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I was playing with Darunia today and holy gently caress is he slow.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

Getting all the weapons up to level 3 makes the master sword about the same power as a level 4 weapon, and the second unlock makes it comparable to a 5* level 4 weapon but it still won't be as good as a 5* 4+ weapon because it won't have 2 elements or any skills. Really the master sword is kind of poo poo once you've unlocked rank 3 weapons and the 4k skills.

Master Sword is absolutely going to own most weapons, even Lv. 4+ ones, because it has insane damage modifiers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

irlZaphod posted:

I was playing with Darunia today and holy gently caress is he slow.

Yeah but C4 can clear out entire rooms and C3 is great against officers and Generals so he is actually not bad

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bakalakadaka posted:

Yeah, uh, nope. The Master Sword has a bunch of hidden modifiers that make it ridiculous. Also the sword beams.

It is hands down the best weapon in the game. By far.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Well I guess you can tell I never upgraded it and don't really use Link outside his weapon missions lmao.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bakalakadaka posted:

Well I guess you can tell I never upgraded it and don't really use Link outside his weapon missions lmao.

I use Link a lot but its because Gauntlets and Spinner are two of my favorite weapons.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bakalakadaka posted:

I don't use the Master Sword much either, not even as a "gently caress it I just want to clear this mission" weapon. For that I use Sheik. :v:

I agree that Link's other weapons are just straight up more fun. The Master Sword is boring. Why would I haul around a generic boring sword when I could surf around on a giant Beyblade that shoots lightning beams? Or fling Bow-Wow in thing's faces and drop giant pillars on 'em? Or hell just ride into battle on Epona. If I'm going to use a boring sword, at least let me bring my horse buddy too.

Oh poo poo I just realized. Are Link's Lv 4 Gauntlets still Bow-Wow? :ohdear:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't use the Master Sword much either, not even as a "gently caress it I just want to clear this mission" weapon. For that I use Sheik. :v:

I agree that Link's other weapons are just straight up more fun. The Master Sword is boring. Why would I haul around a generic boring sword when I could surf around on a giant Beyblade that shoots lightning beams? Or fling Bow-Wow in thing's faces and drop giant pillars on 'em? Or hell just ride into battle on Epona. If I'm going to use a boring sword, at least let me bring my horse buddy too.

Oh poo poo I just realized. Are Link's Lv 4 Gauntlets still Bow-Wow? :ohdear:

Still Bow-Wow.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I use Linkle for everything so shes like 100 levels ahead of everyone else. Where is my Linkle game nintendo where is it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bakalakadaka posted:

I use Linkle for everything so shes like 100 levels ahead of everyone else. Where is my Linkle game nintendo where is it.

You’re playing it.

I would buy a Linkle amiibo

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Still Bow-Wow.

Oh thank Christ. Everything is right with the world!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zore posted:

Yeah, uh, nope. The Master Sword has a bunch of hidden modifiers that make it ridiculous. Also the sword beams.

It is hands down the best weapon in the game. By far.

But there's no Game left by the time you've unlocked it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's a victim of power creep. As they added more and more stuff and weapon powers with patches and dlc, they kept adding things for it to keep up, because the single rule handed down is thus: The Master Sword is The Ultimate Weapon, The Sword Of Evil's Bane, It Does Not Get Outclassed-But You Have To Work For It.

The requirements weren't quite so bad when the game first came out(You needed 15,000 kills(?) to unseal it), but now there's so much fiddly stuff and it takes so long, it's no surprise it's a pain now, at the end of everything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bloodly posted:

It's a victim of power creep. As they added more and more stuff and weapon powers with patches and dlc, they kept adding things for it to keep up, because the single rule handed down is thus: The Master Sword is The Ultimate Weapon, The Sword Of Evil's Bane, It Does Not Get Outclassed-But You Have To Work For It.

The requirements weren't quite so bad when the game first came out(You needed 15,000 kills(?) to unseal it), but now there's so much fiddly stuff and it takes so long, it's no surprise it's a pain now, at the end of everything.

No, it's always been like this. You couldn't get the 15k kills until after you'd unlocked all the weapons.
They were all on a single map so in theory it wasn't as much bother but the game was still over by the time you actually did it. If I've unlocked everything why do I need a super strong weapon, what will I do with it?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I can think of at least two sizeable things you may not have even touched by the time you've powered the Master Sword

-Story on Hero difficulty
-Challenge Mode

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sudden Javelin posted:

I can think of at least two sizeable things you may not have even touched by the time you've powered the Master Sword

-Story on Hero difficulty
-Challenge Mode

-non weapon unlock missions in Adventure mode

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Unless it gives me an actual reward I'm not bothering. There's no reason to do the story on Hero mode, you don't get anything new out of it!

jivjov posted:

-non weapon unlock missions in Adventure mode

For the most part you've got to do those to reach the weapons/costumes.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The master sword is still way stronger than a bunch of level 3 (and some level 4) weapons even when it's only 300 strength. It's a good weapon

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Master sword functions like it does in OoT. A nice upgrade until you get Biggoron's sword and you never look back (in this case, Biggoron's sword is L4 weapons).

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Please enjoy this lovely picture of my tv featuring me going mad and creating a tiny god of death

Now everyone can be strong. Even you, baton Zelda.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Bakalakadaka posted:

Please enjoy this lovely picture of my tv featuring me going mad and creating a tiny god of death

I am working towards something similar, although I got conflicting advice on one thing:

I'm using a Light fairy with double Bombos, because it allows me access to both Light and Fire clothes. Was that a mistake? Should I have just used a Fire fairy with double bombos?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
are fairies a thing you have to roll to minmax or are they a finite thing you can't gently caress up?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

DontMindMe posted:

I am working towards something similar, although I got conflicting advice on one thing:

I'm using a Light fairy with double Bombos, because it allows me access to both Light and Fire clothes. Was that a mistake? Should I have just used a Fire fairy with double bombos?

I'm pretty sure all that matters is the max trust and double bombos. It's just slightly easier with fire because of food bonuses.

Dizz posted:

are fairies a thing you have to roll to minmax or are they a finite thing you can't gently caress up?

There's a fixed number of fairies and they are always the same. If you release one it goes back to the map where you unlock it and you can get it again with a different name (this is how i farmed gratitude crystals for mine).

This list was for legends but seems to still be accurate
https://www.reddit.com/r/HyruleWarriors/comments/4dllob/fairy_food_and_fairy_bottle_locations_on/

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 14, 2018

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Is Bombos a more powerful effect? I have a 100-trust darkness Fairy I brought up by using Plant drop potions on the Ganondorf Divisive Plan mission on the Twilight map because I figured ongoing damage was probably the best effect and Ganondorf drops Scent Seeds.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bakalakadaka posted:

My darkness fairy finally picked up her magic fountain+

I'm wavering over whether to go for the water wall; it's not spammable, right? how does it work out-especially at higher difficulties? Does the duration last until enough damage wears through the shield?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Actually, for that matter, are there any standout skills to go for? I can't tell which ones activate when needed (ex. Hard Worker) and which ones have to be manually used, nor do I have any idea which ones are, for example, so short in duration that they don't provide any value.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Hard worker is the only skill that activates automatically. Magic fountain is a ridiculously op skill because it gives you about a minute of maxed out magic bar that doesn't drain. Magic fountain+ lets you do it 3 more times.

Wall of water is nice but for red missions in the later maps (Lorule, Koholint, Grand Travels) it might absorb one hit for you so it's not great. It lasts until you take enough damage to break it. Repair technician is nice because it brings a keep back to full health so you can save your base if something goes wrong.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bakalakadaka posted:

Holy gently caress, how many Gratitude Crystals did you have to feed her?

DontMindMe posted:

Your fairy's base element is pretty trivial from what I remember. Just pick whichever one gives you thr best clothing options. (There was a water fairy with a unique appearance who came with the Grand Travels DLC, I'm hoping she got placed on the map but I'm not very far in Adventure Mode yet)

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Holy gently caress, how many Gratitude Crystals did you have to feed her?

I think I gave her about 18 total but only 14 were used on her last refresh to get her up to the skills. It's actually not that bad farming gratitude crystals once you nail down the locations of two fairies of the element you want and a divisive battle with the food you want.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I just learned that the "Ganon's Fury" challenge mode is actually you playing as giant boss Ganon and it rules.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Every Hard Mode Skulltula that requires keeping an NPC’s health over 50% is horrible. They can’t help but get themselves killed, it’s bullshit. The Water Temple one is especially bad because if you don’t stop the Assault Troops Darunia automatically loses half his health, and then at the end you have to kill King Dodongo before it hits Ruto and before Darunia gets slaughtered by a bunch of Lizalfos. gently caress that mission, I got a 5* lv 3 Great Knife for Impa and still couldn’t prevent Darunia from killing himself.

Edit: Linkle’s one on the same map is also horrible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got a double heal aura fairy hanging around?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Leal posted:

Got a double heal aura fairy hanging around?

I have a Light fairy with Shine x2, I’m not sure how big the “Magic Barrier” is but that might help??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Finally got my Switch back from repairs so I can resume tackling those Hard Skulltulas!

I looked up the location of the lv 2 Magic Rod but everything goes by grid numbers, and none of the guides bothered to say how they numbered the grid. On the Great Sea Map, is F-14 (the location of the Magic Rod) along the right edge? There is a weapon for Link there, but Link has a million weapons.