Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kaboobi posted:

posting in this thread for the first time in years about how dumb this job is sometimes

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/1017456577715015680

I've been known to stick magnetic items on those things. The sensor is by the screen, thankfully, but the magnets are under my wrist.

Shameful snipe, so have this:

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kaboobi posted:

posting in this thread for the first time in years about how dumb this job is sometimes

I have dealt with the exact same thing

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a few tickets about one of our mission critical apps came in. Not only is it constantly not working properly, the server it's on is running out of disk space .

Talk to the vendor, tells me to delete a bunch of empty files the app made. One folder had 3.6 million empty files created at the same time. Vendor says to not worry about it, and it's not a big deal...

I think I may know what's causing some of the disk space errors

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kaboobi posted:

User develops crippling arthritis, blames you for making her take off her magic chakra healing magnet bracelet, sues.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

chin up everything sucks posted:

I have dealt with the exact same thing

Haha me too. I remember when we were switching some of our call center folks from laptops to VM-based workstations, and one of the bullets in favor was something like

"reduced chance of agent downtime due to negative interaction between magnetic jewelry and laptop sensors"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

My entire job is to find large problems in our company, and arrange for them to be fixed. It's an incredibly broad remit and lets me poke my nose into whatever I come across.

This sounds like something that would be really interesting, but I'd be concerned that it limits your options to move onto another company when you're done. I actively try to avoid getting involved in certain things where I am now because I don't want to be involved in purchasing, sales etc. as time spent on that is less time that I can spend focusing on where I actually want to develop.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

This sounds like something that would be really interesting, but I'd be concerned that it limits your options to move onto another company when you're done. I actively try to avoid getting involved in certain things where I am now because I don't want to be involved in purchasing, sales etc. as time spent on that is less time that I can spend focusing on where I actually want to develop.

Eh, I've got an easy stepping stone to Product Manager, Project Manager, or some kind of Analyst role. The thing keeping me from taking that step is that I work from home full time, drawing a coastal salary from Oklahoma. Hard to match that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have options that's cool, I guess it's different for everyone / employer.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I work from home full time

Now I *really* want that job

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't think I have the discipline to do that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spankmeister posted:

I don't think I have the discipline to do that.

I used to WFH full time and now do 3 days a week (did we just have this chat or was that the other thread?), and for me it's about making sure I deliver reasonable value for money. I tend to work very quickly but in short bursts regardless where I'm sat, so it doesn't really matter if I'm dossing about half the day as long as I blast out enough work during the other half.

Regaining length_of_commute * 2 also helps because you can work a little longer if needed and still "get home" earlier.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The average office worker gets about 15 minutes of work done in a day really, so you're ahead of the curve.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But they're always so busy whenever I look over at them

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A friend landed a WFH gig a while back and it's awesome. Two monitors of work stuff, two monitors of personal stuff, dude splits his workday between work, sending models to his 3d printer, and playing with his hyperactive pit bull. It's a good life.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I watch SO MANY TWITCH STREAMS

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't work from home. I like my home work free, I also like being around my teammates and hitting the nearby pub with them after work.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm set up to work from home but only do it if there's like, a foot of snow on the ground. I don't really like it, but I think if I had an actual office that I could set it up in (and then shut the door when i'm not "at work") it would be way better. I also don't have an actual phone, instead using a gaming headset and some lovely VOIP software.

Some of the guys here work from home 1+ day a week and those of us that make an effort to come into the office every day judge them really hard, mostly because it's the guys that don't seem to do any actual work.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I watch SO MANY TWITCH STREAMS
___________________/

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Kaboobi posted:

I recently imaged one USFF workstation that had a spinner drive and kept running into weird problems. I'd reimage and try again, but it would have something else. Finally, leaning over our partially metal workbench in frustration, it dawned on me: the magnetic clasp on my watch was stuck to the bench. When i sat back down to run another reimage, I set the watch in my pocket, and got a clean, fully working workstation out of it.

Naturally I'm the kind of guy who gives users crap for sticking fridge magnets to their PCs, too.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nielsm posted:

This was also a bug in Windows NT 4, approximately 20 years ago.

Oh don't worry, someone will find the same bug in 20 years time, too :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wibla posted:

Oh don't worry, someone will find the same bug in 20 years time, too :v:

I'll bet there's a buffer somewhere that rolls over in about 20 years

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

26.5 MB. That's not a lot of storage, right ?

Well, it's a really loving significant number when it's your free space remaining on C: on Win7 Pro. Luckily, the customer had a couple of GB in the recycle bin, but she's so screwed in general terms. I find out Tuesday if she managed to free up enough space to move her to a new laptop.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good thing it’s not a Buffalo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mllaneza posted:

Well, it's a really loving significant number when it's your free space remaining on C: on Win7 Pro. Luckily, the customer had a couple of GB in the recycle bin, but she's so screwed in general terms. I find out Tuesday if she managed to free up enough space to move her to a new laptop.
Windirstat and see what is using the space. There are several known culprits that eat space without a good reason.

If it's user date... Lol.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I have seen some Windows 7 pcs have a couple of hundred GB of windows updates temp files. I think you sometimes need ‘system’ permission to clear them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I lost count how many people had less than 20gb of free space on their hard drive that I've helped in the past seven (business) days.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

mllaneza posted:

Go into windows\temp and delete all the loving .cab files

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I’m a big fan of the Windows 10 bug that fills hard drives with error logs from Windows Store if you remove one of the junk apps (like candy crush) and block Windows Store from accessing the network but don’t disable it. It is such a dumb issue but for some reason we didn’t disable Windows Store initially and now we find PCs that have this issue every once in a while when everything crashes due to a full hard drive.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
We got hit with a weird bug that would fill w7 drives with log files for failed windows update installs a while back. Most people had 500gb spinners but the more recent systems were coming with 128gb solid state drives that would fill up fast enough to be noticeable. We'd just delete the hell out of those temp files and logs and things would thankfully go back to normal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Johnny Aztec posted:

The average office worker gets about 15 minutes of work done in a day really, so you're ahead of the curve.

If i do more than 10 I start feeling like a responsible adult.

(I thought it was like 3 hours?)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Varkk posted:

I have seen some Windows 7 pcs have a couple of hundred GB of windows updates temp files. I think you sometimes need ‘system’ permission to clear them.

Annoyingly this bug still hasn't been fixed.

Once the Windows Update log file exceeds 2GB the service that compresses it for archival will crash, leave behind a ~200MB temp file, and immediately try again. Repeat until C is full.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I've ran into this recently too. A client is using a piece of software that has a Ruby component and apparently when Ruby crashes it doesn't release the application log files and leaves a massive crash report on the system.

Also the server has a 50 gig drive, so it's not just the software's fault :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dogstile posted:

If i do more than 10 I start feeling like a responsible adult.

(I thought it was like 3 hours?)
I've seen 2.5 thrown around a few times. I know at least part of my hating this new job is the switch from doing four hours in a day and feeling like I did more than most around me to being constantly doing *something* here.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ilkhan posted:

If it's user date... Lol.

It's user data.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

I just stumbled across a user in AD with the actual factual first name Reaganomics. It's too early to be this done with my day.

I work at a school that caters to rich white Catholics and I’ve never seen a name as bad as this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Just turned on the Out of Office notice for vacation. :woop:

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

kensei posted:

Just turned on the Out of Office notice for vacation. :woop:

That and setting email sync to manual are the best feeling, man. Feels like a victory.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I would argue that writing your own "This person no longer works here, bug someone else" auto response is better, if only for it's rarity.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

we have raised the ticket # Case00430768 to below request. Kindly do need full .

Not just the needful anymore, now it's the need full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kaethela posted:

Not just the needful anymore, now it's the need full.

Don't forget to revert back