Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Duke Chin posted:

hot take: legends is the best of the bunch by a wide margin

I think you'll find that close to zero people here think this is a hot take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Argue posted:

I think you'll find that close to zero people here think this is a hot take

Fair enough - just realized I've never been in the legends thread, if there is one. I'm glad they've embraced the cheese factor and are basically the antithesis of the super super seriousness of the other shows

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

Fair enough - just realized I've never been in the legends thread, if there is one. I'm glad they've embraced the cheese factor and are basically the antithesis of the super super seriousness of the other shows

have you seen the music videos they've done? That cast seems to have a ton of fun on set.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Grem posted:

Superhero shows and movies are so pervasive now that she's been in both Smallville as a villain and Flash as a hero! Holy poo poo she's over 30 and playing a teenager? Good for her.

Amy Adams was in smallville as a villain and Lois lane in the movies

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

GobiasIndustries posted:

have you seen the music videos they've done? That cast seems to have a ton of fun on set.

Nope, didn't even know that was a thing - I'll Google later.

Just finished legends s3 and haha that finale was dumb as hell and I loved it. "SERIOUSLY, ARE WE MAKING A BABY?!?"

Now to go back to no-fun flash - does the season get any better after the Earth X episode?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Wild Wild West one they did was just completely bonkers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Legends is the best show on television. I never thought I would think that after Season 1, but here we are.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

irlZaphod posted:

Legends is the best show on television. I never thought I would think that after Season 1, but here we are.

Getting rid of the bird chicken people was the best thing they could have done.

(...and subsequently making two light jabs at them this past season.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Duke Chin posted:

Now to go back to no-fun flash - does the season get any better after the Earth X episode?

Some stuff gets a bit annoying but there's a lot to love about the actual episodes. Once they get past a bit of melodrama immediately coming up, in particular, the individual episodes are pretty fun. It's DeVoe's "just according to keikaku" vignettes that wear on things. Aside from S1 Flash (which did it via dramatic irony keeping RF in the shadows for the actual characters until everything clashed at the end) and S2/3 Legends (which did it by going for a saturday morning cartoon vibe complete with "I'll get you next time, Gadget" moments) I'm not sure any of the CW shows have managed to satisfyingly do a season-long Big Bad.

Actually Prometheus and Slade were pretty good. Still, it's not easy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

Actually Prometheus and Slade were pretty good. Still, it's not easy.

Reverse-Flash worked because he wasn't at full power all the time (though when he was he was faster than Barry) so he had to rely on his wits and wait around to recharge, and in any event he clearly has a plan he's building towards.

Zoom never seemed to have an overarching evil plan and there never seemed to be a great reason why he couldn't just roll up and take Barry or the rest of the team out at his convenience.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

nooneofconsequence posted:

Who says she's a teenager?

Me, the absolute authority on ages.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

Nope, didn't even know that was a thing - I'll Google later.

Just finished legends s3 and haha that finale was dumb as hell and I loved it. "SERIOUSLY, ARE WE MAKING A BABY?!?"

https://twitter.com/caitylotz/status/981167091930689537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFCU2b2xkIo
Caity Lotz also put up a fun video of her and Jes Macallan (Ava) doing the robot on one of the sets but I can't find that link.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is so cute.

I am going to miss Key so much. I hope they shoe horn him in at every opportunity. 😭😭

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Tom Welling playing a young Clark Kent was older than Brandon Routh playing an experienced Superman that had gone through the first two Donner movies AND left Earth for 5 years when Superman Returns came out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes yes, we all know Tom Welling is terrible.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

Yes yes, we all know Tom Welling is terrible.

just to reiterate:

Tom Welling is the god-

drat-

WOOooooOOooRRRRRRRRST

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mortanis posted:

Tom Welling playing a young Clark Kent was older than Brandon Routh playing an experienced Superman that had gone through the first two Donner movies AND left Earth for 5 years when Superman Returns came out.

That's probably why Brandon Routh doesn't seem to age. He got his big break playing a character most people though was in his 40s at 27, and he's had a whole decade since to appear in other roles that reflect his real age. Meanwhile, Tom Welling basically played a teenager for 10 years and now looks older than death by comparison.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mortanis posted:

I somehow read this as Tom Cavanaugh and my brain hard locked

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

I somehow read this as Tom Cavanaugh and my brain hard locked

Best timeline.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Really low quality, but here’s this season’s gag reel.

https://youtu.be/la0pS97qt-U

I have it on good authority that the version they show to the cast and crew is longer and uncensored and has real music but what do I know man?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
annnd already copyright struck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I'd say gently caress it and skip season 3, then watch this one because it isn't perfect but it's getting better and I imagine it plays much better when binging.

Here, I'll give you the cliff notes for the parts of S3 that matter. Spoilers if you decide you actually want to watch it.

Oh, also I guess you might want to watch the big crossover special but frankly it's not that great. If you do decide to do that though, skip the Supergirl episode. It's advertised as being part of the crossover but totally isn't.

That was kind of long for a cliff notes, and I'm sure I left some parts out but it's shorter than a whole season of TV. Season 3 is the straight up low point of the series no matter what anyone says about this one. Have fun watching season 4!

Thanks, TwoPair, you're good people. Also that season sounds like a confusing mess of events that occur for unexplainable reasons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well that wasn't too painful. Aside from the one with Iris, Caitlyn Felicity hanging out for that bachelor party. I can't help but cringe when they do that grrrl power poo poo. Just let them do something cool and leave it as a quip at most.

Drunk Barry was fun, Dibny was neat, shockingly. I haven't read any Flash comics so I don't know how to write antagonists for him but they've gotta come up with something.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I haven't read any Flash comics so I don't know how to write antagonists for him but they've gotta come up with something.

Basically all media including the comics tends to suffer from writing Flash's powers in a way where he is as fast as needed not only for the story or even individual scene but sometimes just a specific moment in a scene. So sometimes he is fast enough to see someone shoot a gun on television and race across the city and catch the bullet, other times he gets hit in the back of the head by a regular person. In the comics at least it's all static panels so there's a certain amount of in between time left up to the reader's imagination, in the TV show he often has to stand around for 20 seconds mugging at the camera before he gets clocked or whatever.

But there's a few recurring patterns they can use:

- Someone as fast/faster than him - they've obviously already gone to this well a lot but they don't even need to be faster but even someone as fast with an agenda other than "toy with the Flash for my own ends" could be interesting

- Someone who can negate/reduce his speed - this one can get boring and is sort've similar to the above

- Someone powerful enough that his speed doesn't matter
- Someone who is clever enough to be a step ahead of him - they kind of tried this with Devoe but botched it in some ways

Honestly I think the biggest problem is having a season villain who ultimately wants to defeat the Flash and totally has the power to do it but just doesn't because they need him for some vague reason and then when they don't they just continually toy with him.

The Rogues were always great in the comics because they usually had totally random and often petty goals and their main relationship with the Flash was just to distract him/give him the slip so that they could do what they ultimately wanted and didn't end up in jail for awhile. If they had bigger goals they would often team up and maybe even use a few of their ranks for fodder who could take the fall while the others got away and could break them out later or whatever.

In fact a ton of even more powerful enemies were usually trying to do their own poo poo and even if they had a goal like "blow up the fucken world for no reason" they would only engage the Flash when necessary and often as a means of distracting him or delaying him from stopping their ultimate plan. I think the biggest mistake they've continuously made is had all the villains openly challenge the Flash and then the entire season becomes one long dry hump where things keep getting stalled out until the big showdown. It would be cool if there were ups and downs, victories and losses, and not some big ticking clock until the finale. Devoe was better about doing this but Savitar and Zoom were the absolute worst, where both were like "okay I'm basically telling you outright I'm going to kill you/your girlfriend/your friends in the season finale so stay tuned for that!".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/dpanabaker/status/1017827166472503296

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Flash been nerdy since the beginning.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey me and the Flash used to have the same haircut!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TwoPair posted:

Me too. Did your mom actually put a bowl on your head and trim around it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I also had a mushroom cut like that. But I'm older than Grant Gustin so mine was more of an Oasis/britpop cut.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I took this as you still have that haircut.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I feel better about Flash Season 4 after trying to finish Supergirl Season 3. The writing in that got real bad. The "lead poisoning" episode makes my head hurt.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I haven’t even attempted the latest seasons of Supergirl and Arrow, I’m kind of scared to.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I haven’t even attempted the latest seasons of Supergirl and Arrow, I’m kind of scared to.

Supergirl starts off really strong, is probably at it's best going into and coming out of Crisis On Earth-X, and has some really strong individual episodes in its back third (the stuff focusing on Reign and J'onn's dad is fantastic), but plot-wise it absolutely falls apart and faceplants across the finish line--in no small part due to Andrew Kreisberg getting outted as a sexmonster and fired halfway through the season.

Similar story with Arrow. It starts the year off really strong, heads into crossover with a great head of steam and lots of good will, and then botches it catastrophically with the reveal of its real main villain for the year and the godawful Outsiders arc. I stuck Flash and Supergirl out right to the end this year, but Arrow I straight up gave up on mid-episode because it got that bad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'd say Supergirl was the third best of the CW superhero shows, but that's more an indictment of Arrow and flash than the merits of Supergirl. Though there was a ton I liked in Supergirl, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't on the level of Black Lightning or legends.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah so wait hang on what's the general gist on black lightning? poo poo or ok or what? I only got like 15 or so minutes into the pilot and had to go do things then completely forgot about it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Basically all media including the comics tends to suffer from writing Flash's powers in a way where he is as fast as needed not only for the story or even individual scene but sometimes just a specific moment in a scene. So sometimes he is fast enough to see someone shoot a gun on television and race across the city and catch the bullet, other times he gets hit in the back of the head by a regular person. In the comics at least it's all static panels so there's a certain amount of in between time left up to the reader's imagination, in the TV show he often has to stand around for 20 seconds mugging at the camera before he gets clocked or whatever.

But there's a few recurring patterns they can use:

- Someone as fast/faster than him - they've obviously already gone to this well a lot but they don't even need to be faster but even someone as fast with an agenda other than "toy with the Flash for my own ends" could be interesting

- Someone who can negate/reduce his speed - this one can get boring and is sort've similar to the above

- Someone powerful enough that his speed doesn't matter
- Someone who is clever enough to be a step ahead of him - they kind of tried this with Devoe but botched it in some ways

Honestly I think the biggest problem is having a season villain who ultimately wants to defeat the Flash and totally has the power to do it but just doesn't because they need him for some vague reason and then when they don't they just continually toy with him.

The Rogues were always great in the comics because they usually had totally random and often petty goals and their main relationship with the Flash was just to distract him/give him the slip so that they could do what they ultimately wanted and didn't end up in jail for awhile. If they had bigger goals they would often team up and maybe even use a few of their ranks for fodder who could take the fall while the others got away and could break them out later or whatever.

In fact a ton of even more powerful enemies were usually trying to do their own poo poo and even if they had a goal like "blow up the fucken world for no reason" they would only engage the Flash when necessary and often as a means of distracting him or delaying him from stopping their ultimate plan. I think the biggest mistake they've continuously made is had all the villains openly challenge the Flash and then the entire season becomes one long dry hump where things keep getting stalled out until the big showdown. It would be cool if there were ups and downs, victories and losses, and not some big ticking clock until the finale. Devoe was better about doing this but Savitar and Zoom were the absolute worst, where both were like "okay I'm basically telling you outright I'm going to kill you/your girlfriend/your friends in the season finale so stay tuned for that!".

I'm gonna assume most people's familiarity with Flash is from animated stuff because it is for me. That's how I know what little about him I know now and even that lowers the speed of the many different Flashes. Which I guess you have To for Count Vertigo to not get taken out by a gently lobbed rock.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah so wait hang on what's the general gist on black lightning? poo poo or ok or what? I only got like 15 or so minutes into the pilot and had to go do things then completely forgot about it

Black Lightning is fantastic. It's the best of the Arrowverse shows (though it's place in the Arrowverse itself is still uncertain) and was overall a great season of television period. The last two episodes are a little rushed because they didn't know if they were coming back for another season at the time of filming so they kind of wrap everything up and leave it all wide open, but going into it knowing that there is a second season coming makes it a lot easier digest and accept. I really do hope it crosses over with the broader Arrowverse at some point because it's got a fantastic cast and I want to see how they'd play off of the rest of the goofballs in this wacky universe.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
wouldn't crossing it with the rest of the arrowverse just result in the rest of the arrowverse polluting the one good part of it with suck

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
It'll most likely remain its own thing as long as production doesn't move to Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cisco recruits Black Lightning for the crossover. Jefferson helps them solve [whatever crossover bullshit] in the first 15 minutes and then, as the only competent and rational superhuman in the multiverse proceeds to go from show to show straighting the casts out with sound advice.
Except for the Legends episode of the crossover. In that one they travel to the 70s and have a fun episode fighting 70s villains (because the Legends are perfect as is). Also Lightning and Thunder are there for the Legends episode.