Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

JawnV6 posted:

right click on the dock icon

oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

window management is never going to be fixed in macOS. that’s just our reality. workspaces is great though. I don’t know how people can live without it

it's entirely unnecessary in windows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
window management is absolute loving trash in windows.

personal favourite: the modal dialogue box that blocks input to the parent window but pops up behind the parent and has no tab index or preview.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

infernal machines posted:

window management is absolute loving trash in windows.

and yet it's far superior to macos.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fiedler posted:

it's a low bar

with no real incentive to work on

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

GenJoe posted:

oh my god
lol srsly

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Fiedler posted:

workspaces is a poor workaround to proper windowing support in the os, but it's better than nothing, i suppose.

i maximize my apps and three finger swipe between them. floating windows are for suckers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fiedler posted:

it's loving garbage, second only to gnome 3 when they removed minimizing

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ur supposed to abuse virtual desktops with gnome 3. works better with workspace restricted alt-tab behaviour

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

macOS > gnome3 > windings

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

JawnV6 posted:

lol srsly

I right click dock stuff all the time to make new windows or to do whatever contextual right clicky actions each app makes available there. I guess I never slowed down enough to read every item in that menu and realize there's a listing of open windows at the top, my brain just filtered all that out as cruft

Windows is a little more discoverable about this because it's an actual visual representation of a stack of windows so it's super obvious you can navigate through different windows inside of it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you can also click the Window menu item to see hidden smaller windows

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GenJoe posted:

a hugely annoying thing: if you have a larger window that completely overlaps a smaller window (both in the same application) there is no way to access the smaller window (or to even be able to tell that the smaller window exists) without physically minimizing/moving around the bigger window. the F3 menu is trash and is not a suitable mechanism for hunting down the window u want, and god help you if there are multiple overlaps going on

press ctrl+down. you can customize this in mission control system preferences, and you can also configure mission control to group windows by application

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

before it was turned into mission control, application window exposé used to have a default function key on the keyboard next to the main exposé key, but i don't remember what it was

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

oh, the exposé keys were F9 and F10. good times

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

the "Show All Windows" menu is hugely bad for my common use case of having 13 different windows open and having to search through them for a specific one. it spreads everything out too much and is displeasurable to scan through.

right-click dock menu is needs suiting though, thank you for the helpful tip

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bitch that's not even a third of how many windows i have open

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Toady posted:

bitch that's not even a third of how many windows i have open

this sounds very stressful. maybe you should work to limit your # of windows open before things get out of hand

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

stay out of my private life

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"this window management sucks" *hunts through 50 one-character wide tabs to find one open to youtube*

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
also, if you're like me and have 200 terminals in same-name directories:
echo -n -e "\033]0;TITLE GOES HERE\007"

makes it easier to search the window list

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

tree style tabs tho

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GenJoe posted:

the "Show All Windows" menu is hugely bad for my common use case of having 13 different windows open and having to search through them for a specific one. it spreads everything out too much and is displeasurable to scan through.

right-click dock menu is needs suiting though, thank you for the helpful tip

i'm the 10 identical word and pdf windows you can't tell apart

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

GenJoe posted:

oh my god

haha

also 4 finger up-swipe

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

remember when expose came out and win 7 (?) cloned it with win-tab but stacked all of them so you could only see like 10% of the window and only showed like 10 windows

lol

now jony going to put pics of all ur apps in the magic taskbar

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
does anyone use the color tags / labels? I remember really liking that in system 7 when I was like 8 but I forgot it was a thing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

does anyone use the color tags / labels? I remember really liking that in system 7 when I was like 8 but I forgot it was a thing

it was real good op

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

apple: we've improved finder
everyone: finally they're fixing that piece of poo poo
apple: lol jk here's cover flow v2

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://ifixit.org/blog/10279/apple-macbook-keyboard-cover-up/

Tim: “Put a rubber on it. Ticket closed.”

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lmfao did they really think people weren’t going to find out about the integrated keyboard condom immediately

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i use both windows and maxos and idk they're both fine i dont know how you guys gently caress it up so much

the only reaaaallll annoying thing about any of them is that in macos it can be quite confusing that minimising or whatever you call it doesn't then switch control to the last (and hence topmost) program used

like how a program can still be in focus but have no windows up. thats a horrriibbllle UI design and it makes no sense whatsoever

not focused windows on anything should be blurred slightly unless thre is a mouseover

making it obvious what window has focus is something that has fallen out of favour for gently caress knows why

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

like how a program can still be in focus but have no windows up. thats a horrriibbllle UI design and it makes no sense whatsoever

a Mac app doesn’t (usually) exit when it has no windows open. the current context is that of the menu bar. you can close a window and still be “in” the program in that all of your keystrokes affect it (like cmd+n will open a new window)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I approve of the keyboard condoms if it actually makes the machine more coffee spill resistant. I am sceptical of how long it would last until plastic parts start cutting through the membranes though.

But I bet they deliberately didn't try to seal the top case, because it's much more fun to bilk your customers for $3k in repairs whenever someone knocks a glass over.

[edit] watched the ifixit video a couple of times, the gasket is full of perforations for the hinges and center of the key :eng99: ...maybe the keyboard has to be ventilated because it's the only place left for the cooling system to desperately try sucking some air from

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 14, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

a Mac app doesn’t (usually) exit when it has no windows open. the current context is that of the menu bar. you can close a window and still be “in” the program in that all of your keystrokes affect it (like cmd+n will open a new window)

yeah i don’t mind that the program is open, as if i minimiaed something in windows , that program in windows doesn’t retain focus

it’s fuckin moronic yo

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

the "just a menu bar" scenario must be extremely important because they've kept it around forever and it confuses roughly everyone.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

it's left up to each app to decide what to do. the modern convention is to terminate when the main window is closed. apps can also have appkit automatically close the app when it determines it's appropriate to do so. e.g., if you close every window in Pages and then switch to a different app, Pages usually automatically quits

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Toady posted:

it's left up to each app to decide what to do. the modern convention is to terminate when the main window is closed. apps can also have appkit automatically close the app when it determines it's appropriate to do so. e.g., if you close every window in Pages and then switch to a different app, Pages usually automatically quits

that’s super dumb

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

historical poo poo mostly. microsoft was quicker to drop the mdi model they had as an equivalent though (to some extent no doubt because it was even worse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

that’s super dumb

dsyp