Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a dumb question. I am going on vacation tomorrow and want to take my Switch. Is it ok to just unplug the AC adapter from the dock and use it to charge? I swear my Pixel 2 charger is what caused my Switch to screw up enough to be sent in earlier this year so I am extremely weary of using any other chargers. I assume the dock's AC adapter is the same as just keeping it docked correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm playing this now and the game is brilliant. It also has fast travel (some reviewers couldn't figure this out).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, something about the open world just feels right to me. It makes me want to go hiking.

For sure. It’s so engaging just walking around a forest gathering materials. I can’t figure out what makes it feel so right. They pulled off some video game magic and I’m just glad I get to experience it.

I used to do weird stuff in games as a (undiagnosed autistic ;)) kid like walk really slow and study how the main character moved. I would pay really close attention to how they designed objects in the world, the textures on buildings and mountains. How guns/explosions/strikes would affect things. When physics became a thing I would waste hours playing with various games physics systems. Maybe it’s a thing where the gameplay itself is satisfying and fun to play. Even without what makes it truly a game. BotW is that for me but then on the next layer there’s a massive dense game that I haven’t even scratched the surface of.

I hope that Wii U water kid liked BotW. It’s made for people like that.

I splurge positivity about a lot of games but this one is taking me on a journey!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a dumb question. I am going on vacation tomorrow and want to take my Switch. Is it ok to just unplug the AC adapter from the dock and use it to charge? I swear my Pixel 2 charger is what caused my Switch to screw up enough to be sent in earlier this year so I am extremely weary of using any other chargers. I assume the dock's AC adapter is the same as just keeping it docked correct?

Yep, you can do exactly that with your dock's AC adapter. It's like the #1 recommended thing to do, though fwiw I also use my pixel 2 charger with my switch occasionally and (anecdotally!!) it's been fine.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Manky posted:

Yep, you can do exactly that with your dock's AC adapter. It's like the #1 recommended thing to do, though fwiw I also use my pixel 2 charger with my switch occasionally and (anecdotally!!) it's been fine.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah with the state of USB-C I honestly don't trust anything

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nintendo's implementation of USB-C is hosed up so that's by far the safest thing to do

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

It's a harpoon, you're supposed to throw it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Nintendo's implementation of USB-C is hosed up so that's by far the safest thing to do

Switch uses standard USB-C in handheld mode, it's the dock that breaks spec because it needs to draw more power.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I found that most USB-C chargers will charge the Switch in handheld mode but not dock mode because of that.

Why did the dock need to break spec though? There are plenty of laptops out there that draw a lot of power through USB-C and I don’t think they have the same issues.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Over There posted:

I have so many games but I feel like I need a new game

Come play Octopath Traveller, friend.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Campin' Ted is also on 3ds, for those trying to decide if they should pick it up

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I know everyone's busy with Octopus and Toad but Bomb Chicken's really good too, great level design and tough but not frustrating.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t stop playing Hollow Knight, don’t send help.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sonic Mania Plus comes out on Tuesday too. For someone who is gonna be playing it for the first time it's a busy switch owner life.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Crawfish posted:

For how much better Captain Toad controls normally in comparison to the Wii U version, it's bizarre that they chose to leave the cannon stuff not gyro controlled.

it is in handheld mode

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can’t stop playing Hollow Knight, don’t send help.

Posts like this make me happy. Hollow Knight is super good, and I love hearing people falling way into it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I remember a bunch of people here bouncing off Enter the Gungeon due to the boring early-game, well the free expansion launches next week and supposedly helps remedy that

https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/1017802050934136835

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, advanced gungeons and draguns is actually coming out? I was wondering if they just abandoned it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

lelandjs posted:

The 8BitDo SF30/SN30 Pro, hands down. If you want a controller with grips they have a variant coming out soon. It’s got great compatibility with the Switch (no NFC or HD Rumble and it can’t wake the Switch from sleep, but it’s got gyro and everything else).

Is the lack of HD Rumble that big of a deal?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HD rumble is good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The SN30 Pro has TERRIBLE rumble too, so it's kind of compounded.

By every single measure (the dpad isn't that bad guys) the Pro Controller is the best possible option. If you're hugely into fighting games or 2D platformers or you really can't afford a $70 controller then the SN30 Pro is a reasonable solution, but it strikes me as more of a "computer emulation" controller than a regular every day gaming controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just get a pro controller and open it up to fix the dpad.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I know everyone's busy with Octopus and Toad but Bomb Chicken's really good too, great level design and tough but not frustrating.

That's good to hear-- I almost skipped past it in the eShop but decided to watch the trailer just in case, and it sold me on it.

Anyone else played Membrane? I bought it last time it was on sale after hearing one of the guys from the Besties podcast mention it, and I thought it was pretty good. The difficulty is a little uneven in points, but still worth checking out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I saw the trailer and was intrigued, plus I absolutely love Nitrome's pixel art style, but it looked much more like a puzzle game than an action/platformer and I have a feeling my stupid dumb brain would just get frustrated instead.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
American cover art for Little Dagon's Cafe

It emphasize the dragon, as opposed to the Japanese art, which emphasized the cafe

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it likely that Nintendo will release a revision of the Pro controller soon?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

Weird. The Immortal Redneck developers’ next game is a Pokemon MMO with the serial numbers filed off. Crowdfunded... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cremagames/temtem-massively-multiplayer-creature-collection-a

I could understand this if it’s coming out like next month, but coming out in May of 2020 means they will get absolutely steamrolled by the actual Pokémon game, at least on Switch.

Maybe on the other consoles and PC where they aren’t getting pokemon games it will fare a bit better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

why I gotta open my $80 controller to fix the d-pad

Oh I just noticed the prices have dropped drastically, $65 now. Weren’t they $90 on switch release? I still think it’s dumb we cannot use the wii-u pro controller. I get there’s no gyro or HD rumple

It’s chill tho got my xenoblade and Splatoon controller :coal:

I’ve never played xenoblade 🤷🏽‍♀️

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it likely that Nintendo will release a revision of the Pro controller soon?

They’ve done it somewhat. The Xenoblade ones have better dpads but they’re still not perfect. They’ve apparently also updated them for the basic gray ones but there’s no way of telling if it’s a newer one or not by the box.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

you can do that? how much does it improve it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm craving a third person action-y game that's pretty chill. Pretty burned out on 2/2.5d stuff. Anything that fits the bill on switch?

For multiplayer, honestly? Try Fortnite. It’s very chill and lacks the sweaty tryhardness of other online shooters like COD. It’s essentially “chill with your friends Simulator” now that you can play golf and basketball and drive golf carts and dance and give each other shopping kart rides and all the other craziness it brings.

It’s also got a Minecraft-Esque mode now where you can build and endlessly gently caress about without having to worry about dying.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

It emphasize the dragon, as opposed to the Japanese art, which emphasized the cafe

should've kept the japanese cover and drawn angry eyebrows on everyone

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

why I gotta open my $80 controller to fix the d-pad

Oh I just noticed the prices have dropped drastically, $65 now. Weren’t they $90 on switch release? I still think it’s dumb we cannot use the wii-u pro controller. I get there’s no gyro or HD rumple

It’s chill tho got my xenoblade and Splatoon controller :coal:

I’ve never played xenoblade 🤷🏽‍♀️

I bought a adapter that lets me use a Wii U controller on PC and switch

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s also got a Minecraft-Esque mode now where you can build and endlessly gently caress about without having to worry about dying.

Ooh did they bring this back? Last I looked it was gone as of the start of season 5

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujba6H-M3b0

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jivjov posted:

Ooh did they bring this back? Last I looked it was gone as of the start of season 5

It is gone at the moment. It will return in the near future.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I have never had a problem with my pro controller dpad :shrug:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Zerilan posted:

you can do that? how much does it improve it?

i did the fix and its vastly improved. i was ready to throw the drat thing out because of how terrible it made games like tetris and shovel knight suck but now it's fine. not perfect but much better. how nintendo goofed on the thing theyve done the best for ever is beyond me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is it a dragon game or is it a cafe game, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

American McGay posted:

I saw the trailer and was intrigued, plus I absolutely love Nitrome's pixel art style, but it looked much more like a puzzle game than an action/platformer and I have a feeling my stupid dumb brain would just get frustrated instead.

It's a pretty good blend of puzzle and action, not much platforming. The solutions are usually pretty clear and it's more a matter of getting the timing just right.

• Locked thread