Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More like scope Jeep.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More like scope Jeep.

:fry:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The finish work takes the longest so he should be done by 2029 ish.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
And then I'm going to hire him to be project manager on MY house, which I started working on about 2010 as well!

(seriously, it's been that long? Holy poo poo this has been a hell of a thread)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You won't like my hourly rate :haw:

We went on a week vacation and used it to go work on the Washington property. It's A WHOLE gently caress OF A LOT MORE LAND THAN I EXPECTED, goddamn, and it's going to take us years to reforest it. But we won't have to see neighbors houses ever again after the trees grow in. We'll be going back this fall to replant a bit more and also start putting in larger trees along the borders and around the building site, assuming our building permit stuff goes through.

It's on a little dirt road.
It needs a ton of work.
It was cheap.

Neighbors:
West: an 80 acre lot, hasn't been logged in 30 or 40 years, hoping to save up and buy it before someone does
East: some guy who wants to build a small house to avoid permitting requirements (we're in an unincorporated area of the county) and a fruit orchard, he seems cool
South: retired guy who keeps turkeys and chickens, seems cool
North: 39 acre lot, logged in the last year but they replanted way better than the logger who did ours did

Looking back up the road in

Further down the road, left = North, right = our land

Rental Nissan frontier was the stuff hauler for the week.

Kinda blown out photo because cellphone camera but this is the trees we have left. The property goes down past the hill, it's weird not being able to see every square inch of land from one spot on the property...

Blocked off most of the entrances with heavy logs and put up no trespassing signs. I doubt it will have any real effect but hopefully it does.

Dragged one last log into the gap right before returning the rental log skidder truck to the rental agency. :banjo:

We've also already met a few other locals who live on the road. They all seem cool too.

There are junkies and tweakers living in an RV and trailer home hellhole about half a mile further down the road. Their idiot friends and customers dump trash on the sides of the road as they leave. That's about the only thing that bothers me... Cameras are in order. All the neighbors say that once they realize someone owns the place and cares about it they will dump somewhere else so that needs to be now.

We're building there for sure. The house in Mass needs to be done ASAP at this point, but without compromising on quality.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sign me up for more photos of your land. How many acres do you have? And what all are you going to do in Washington besides build there? Are you gonna work remotely?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

poo poo, Kastein, I'm jealous. Imagine how many Jeeps you can hid on that property.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If I apply statistics to the average American car show I've seen that amount of land should have at least 2.6 jeeps already.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Moving from MA to WA, that's quite the trip! Given that OR/WA is where I anticipate moving if we ever leave TN I'll be eagerly reading your adventures in building out there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sign me up for more photos of your land. How many acres do you have? And what all are you going to do in Washington besides build there? Are you gonna work remotely?

That's about all I have right now. It mostly looks like that, just more of it.

It's just over 5 acres. I basically can't hide any Jeeps on it right now because I live 3000 miles away and tweakers live 0.5 miles away, and there aren't many trees. :v:

We'll fix that. Stabbin cabin (lovely RV to live in while building), then guest house and enclosed pole barn, then real house.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

That's about all I have right now. It mostly looks like that, just more of it.

It's just over 5 acres. I basically can't hide any Jeeps on it right now because I live 3000 miles away and tweakers live 0.5 miles away, and there aren't many trees. :v:

We'll fix that. Stabbin cabin (lovely RV to live in while building), then guest house and enclosed pole barn, then real house.

Sounds like you're going to be following the same plan as these guys: http://purelivingforlife.com/about/

Well, maybe not the timber frame, or debt free aspects, but the "living in an RV while building other stuff on 5 acres".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We hope to stay debt free at least until the guest house and pole barn are done. Who knows though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kastein posted:

We hope to stay debt free at least until the guest house and pole barn are done. Who knows though.

I'm so envious of the space and freedom you have at both of your places. Living in the south east of the UK, that amount of land could be a 7 figure cost on it's own, and planning permission applies everywhere.

What do you folks do for a living?
Are you just planning to get new jobs out west or work remotely?

Is there any way to get internet service out there?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wooger posted:

I'm so envious of the space and freedom you have at both of your places. Living in the south east of the UK, that amount of land could be a 7 figure cost on it's own, and planning permission applies everywhere.

Those last two items are what keep getting in my way. Also, 16-year-old daughter. I'd like to wait until shes out of school so I don't have to uproot her. She's bad enough at social interaction as-is (Aspy, go fig.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

wooger posted:

We're both electrical engineers. Gonna have to get new jobs, neither of our jobs can work remote very effectively.

Internet... Satellite, sure. The rest not so much.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kastein posted:

We're both electrical engineers. Gonna have to get new jobs, neither of our jobs can work remote very effectively.

Internet... Satellite, sure. The rest not so much.

That is... not the easiest job to do from a rural area.

Good luck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I decided to tackle the eaves of the master bedroom roof so they won't attract wasps this summer. Had to pull some old boards off and found this!

Looks like the house might be older than I thought. I was told 1890 but it looks like Antoine Theophile Lamoureux signed his work on MaiMay 31 of 1879. According to my wife's research he was a French Canadian immigrant who was likely a professional carpenter building housing for the nearby mills in our town. He would have been in his mid 30s when he built this house. Good, because that means he's not old or young enough to feel bad about kicking him in the nuts for SUCKING AT FRAMING YOU DIPSHIT WHY DID YOU HANG JOISTS ON THE LEDGER AND NOTHING ELSE.

Turned another paddle bit into ornamental ironwork with the Milwaukee right angle drill.

Electrical box for the wiring to the back porch lights and outlets is in. Comms box not in yet.

The tail end of some of the rafters was a bit rotted so I had to get creative about structure for the soffit and fascia boards. It's all pressure treated and the boards going on are all foamed PVC carefully sloped slightly away from the house so good loving luck rotting again even if we get ice dams.

Comms conduit and box is in now and the fascia boards are up. Soffit boards and vents will go up soon.

Now summer is rapidly approaching so HVAC might take priority soon... poo poo. Wasn't planning on spending thousands on stuff again so soon.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
RE: buying out the neighbor before others do, just to be aware if you're in logging country proper and it looks like you are then his forested land could be worth serious coin. We had 40 acres logged a couple years ago and netted around $300k for 30 year old trees. Odds are they get unsolicited offers everyother day, but if it's good loggable land it could well be worth a loan and in person offer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, totally understood. However - the guy who sold our land to the loggers only got 38k for it, they sold it to us for 23 after and we estimate they got up to 80k out of the wood based on sawmill log prices at the time and stump sizes we saw. Possibly more. They took some really big trees.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

kastein posted:

Yeah, totally understood. However - the guy who sold our land to the loggers only got 38k for it, they sold it to us for 23 after and we estimate they got up to 80k out of the wood based on sawmill log prices at the time and stump sizes we saw. Possibly more. They took some really big trees.

Really I'm saying go for the land. If they got lowballed that's great. We had offers of 75k for the lot, when we were done negotiating with a decent logger we had 300k on what I think was a 70/30 split. But this was on land literally surrounded by weyerhouser and specifically owned for logging.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We'll see.

Spoke with the guy handling our development moratorium lift application today and yesterday. I think it'll go through but we shall see.

Also got the router table set up last night and ran the first piece of ipe through it for the front door frame. I suck at using a router table, especially on somewhat warped wood, and it'll need cleanup with a sander, but it worked and it's not as hard to work with as I was led to believe. No sign of an allergic reaction either, though I did wear a respirator since it's very high in silicates as well. I need to build or buy infeed and outfeed supports for my router table before I attempt the 8ft lengths, after seeing how the 4ft length went.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Did you ever finish installing the heating system? I might have missed that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hahahahaha... Finish? Never even started.

We have a temporary furnace installed that I got for 200 bucks and heats the place just fine but takes up a corner of the kitchen. It's going away once the real heating system is in, which isn't going to even get started until the master bedroom is ready for flooring, which it isn't yet.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So the land in Washington is where you plan to retire after you finish the house in 2032?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If we're retiring by 2032 (mid 40s) either the economy is wrecked or we won the lottery, so sure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No good pictures but I demoed and shoveled up half the dining room Sunday. Britt already burned all the scrap wood generated in the process. ~this house doesn't burn down slowly / to ashes~

Once I've finished that room THERE IS NO MORE PLASTER OR ROCKWOOL IN THE HOUSE, HALLELUJAH.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Any asbestos though?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, still have to have the pipes in the basement remediated. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This central AC install is being a pain in the rear end. I kinda regret choosing to do this but it will be worth it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Having nice, cold, dry air on demand is always worth it.

Sucks that even the minisplit wouldn't fit in the attic, but sounds like you've got a backup plan at least.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 12, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It would fit, but ducts? Nahhhhhhhhh. Space for my head and body and arms while hooking up refrigerant lines and wiring? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So I went to plan B, which also was a no go, then plan C.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

It would fit, but ducts? Nahhhhhhhhh. Space for my head and body and arms while hooking up refrigerant lines and wiring? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So I went to plan B, which also was a no go, then plan C.

So what is the plan?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol plans

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
No plan ever survives the first contact with the enemy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So what is the plan?

Kitchen ceiling, immediately adjacent to the old chimney chase for refrigerant line access. Lines the unit up nicely with the island across the room that's going to have cabinets and a hanging pot rack over it anyways, so the bump in the ceiling won't look entirely out of place. Duct work won't be too hard there either, aside from the master bedroom supply duct, that one's gonna be a doozy. Old houses weren't really designed for central air ducts structurally speaking...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Is this a ducted minisplit we're talking here?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yup. It's a midea meu-36mpl2 specifically. Thing is a giant pancake of an AC unit and still didn't fit because I had a triangular space to put it in.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

Yup. It's a midea meu-36mpl2 specifically. Thing is a giant pancake of an AC unit and still didn't fit because I had a triangular space to put it in.

Wow, that's nice packaging for a three-ton air handler -- about 2.5 x 4.5 x 0.75 feet per the spec sheet.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah the Midea units are pretty nice size-wise. They're also whisper quiet. The first time we installed on we thought something was wrong g with it, because we didn't hear any noise at the AHU.

But then we felt the vents and could feel air moving. They're just that quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Wow, that's nice packaging for a three-ton air handler -- about 2.5 x 4.5 x 0.75 feet per the spec sheet.

Yeah, it's really neat. My only complaint is some idiot ordered it without taking good measurements of the space he wanted to put it in, and it wouldn't fit and actually be serviceable :haw:

All my mounting stuff arrived so once I figure out how I'm making the ceiling brackets, it's duct work time. How do I find the best local HVAC ducting shop? Or should I plan on just making it all myself side from the standard size ducts in the walls and ceilings? I don't even know what to search for to find local duct fabricators.