Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
It's down again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just as I turn it in for the night. I'll be watching this all day tomorrow after I wake up, though!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Re: the stereo laughing/mono JBB, it might just be that they made sure his mic was positioned well to pick up his voice evenly in both channels, whereas the crew members laughing might be off to the side in one direction or another.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Stream back, god I missed Monstervision and this is like walking into the X-rated version of it as a kid. It rules

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NutritiousSnack posted:

Stream back, god I missed Monstervision and this is like walking into the X-rated version of it as a kid. It rules

I do miss the jokes/bitching about the TNT censors but yeah this is definitely something that needs to come back. Even if Joe Bob doesn't host it, Shudder definitely needs a show like this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Absolutely, I'd love this as a weekly show, and based on the excitement around it I think they can see it clearly has an audience. I'd love Shudder to embrace more traditional horror hosts as well—Elvira had a revival a while back on Hulu, and MST3K is horror hosts but for sci-fi and just had their big Netflix success, but I think there's significant room in the market for something like Shudder where you can attach it to content you already have and draw in their core audience.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Apparently they just put all the movies with Joe Bob up even though the stream isn't even close to being over?

Link

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 14, 2018

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Absolutely, I'd love this as a weekly show, and based on the excitement around it I think they can see it clearly has an audience. I'd love Shudder to embrace more traditional horror hosts as well—Elvira had a revival a while back on Hulu, and MST3K is horror hosts but for sci-fi and just had their big Netflix success, but I think there's significant room in the market for something like Shudder where you can attach it to content you already have and draw in their core audience.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I do miss the jokes/bitching about the TNT censors but yeah this is definitely something that needs to come back. Even if Joe Bob doesn't host it, Shudder definitely needs a show like this.

Yeah, this would work great for Shudder TV or their normal stream thing. Loop that week's up and earlier ones, and it as the intro to your content basically. Have the week's episode as the free thing playing when you enter even, it would work great as an ad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Movie list for those who care:

Tourist Trap
Sleepaway Camp
Rabid
The Prowler
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-a-rama
Daughters of Darkness
Blood Feast
Basket Case
Re-Animator
Demons
Legend of Boggy Creek
Hellraiser
Pieces

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Had to go to bed right around the time Sleepaway Camp was an hour or so in (and right when the stream was actually working on the site), and have to work today until this afternoon, but I get to wake up to Joe Bob Briggs giving me a geography lesson about Belgium so it kinda feels like all is right with the world. Morning coffee and lesbian vampires before work, could anything be better?

I guess a stream that worked from the beginning and not having to miss part of it for work, but I'll take what I can get.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rocky start aside, this is great. It's a shame the press around it will probably focus on the technical difficulties because it's a delight. I need way more of this in my life.

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!

feedmyleg posted:

Rocky start aside, this is great. It's a shame the press around it will probably focus on the technical difficulties because it's a delight. I need way more of this in my life.

I'm with you. It would be great if they did this even on a monthly basis.

I'll take what I can get I loved hosted movies, and JBB is the best in the biz.

I hope he reconsiders this being his last hoorah.

It may be a blessing in disguise that they did have those problems, assuming it was due to overwhelming user volume and not something stupid.

I signed up just for this and I'm sure I'm not alone. I will likely keep it short term but for a regular show like this I'd stay on board.

I wonder how long it'll take Netflix to steal this idea?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah there's definitely a demand for a hosted show. I think Svengoolie is the only game in town right now, but he's only on broadcast TV, so it makes it difficult for cord cutters to watch it. Plus it's 2018 so it's crazy there's no way to watch his show online. Maybe his people will make it happen.

But Shudder definitely can do a hosted show and they should.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Stop calling Trump Dystopian- you need a mastermind for that and Trump doesn't have no mind!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who say poo poo like that have never read 1984 to the end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah there's definitely a demand for a hosted show. I think Svengoolie is the only game in town right now, but he's only on broadcast TV, so it makes it difficult for cord cutters to watch it. Plus it's 2018 so it's crazy there's no way to watch his show online. Maybe his people will make it happen.

But Shudder definitely can do a hosted show and they should.
I know I'll get some poo poo for this...

But James Rolfe kind of is the guy for it. He has the good encyclopedic knowledge of horror and monster films, knows how to do some decent amateur productions, his Halloween videos are pretty good, and he's good at ingratiating himself to people from the industry including Joe Bob. I feel like he'd get you the closest to what made Joe Bob good even if he doesn't have the natural charisma.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 14, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I actually had that thought too. It could work. I thought of maybe Shudder working with different Youtube/Internet personalities for hosting duties but I realized that the vast majority of them are insufferable people that would turn me off of the whole idea. James seems like a nice enough dude that he could pull it off.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’ve never seen Tourist Trap, Rabid, Basketcase, or Demons and they weren’t high on my priority list but they’ve been great fun to watch on the live stream. I really enjoy the “this is what we’re going to watch and learn about” aspect of it. I know Shudder has other curated streams so I’ll have to check them out, but without a host to mirror some of my “WTF?” thoughts I doubt it will be as much fun.

I missed the movies between The Prowler and Basketcase so I’ll have to go back and watch those when they’re available.

I don’t know if JBB’s snake bitin’ fire jumpin’ story was true, but the great thing is he seems like the kind of guy where it’s very possible it is.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I actually had that thought too. It could work. I thought of maybe Shudder working with different Youtube/Internet personalities for hosting duties but I realized that the vast majority of them are insufferable people that would turn me off of the whole idea. James seems like a nice enough dude that he could pull it off.

They should get the folks from the Shockwaves podcast to host some stuff. They seem like they really know their stuff and work in varying degrees in the movie industry. They all are kinda movie dorks, though, and don’t seem to have the eclectic charm of someone like JBB.

Edit: I’d accept almost anyone outside of people connected with the Nostalgia Critic. I hate that guy and those shows more than even AICN.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The We Hate Movies might be good at it too since they love horror and do good character work on their podcast.

I'm not sure how good their character work would be not in the context of the natural discussions that come up in their podcasts. But honestly what makes Joe Bob work so well for me is that he's informative on a pretty deep level. Like this marathon could have been him just talking about seeing movies in 1970s New York for 24 straight hours and I'd be as game. James can't offer the same, but he at the very least has an obsessive knowledge that tends to transcend Wikipedia.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

The We Hate Movies might be good at it too since they love horror and do good character work on their podcast.

That’s a really great idea. Let them riff for a few minutes and I’m sure they could do something really fun. They have a surprising deep knowledge of film for a comedy podcast, and every year Andrew does a horror movie marathon at whatever film museum he works at in NYC.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Holy poo poo! Lyle Blackburn! Nice!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Violator posted:

Holy poo poo! Lyle Blackburn! Nice!

Where would I have seen this guy before?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have a recco of which Jo Bob book I should read first?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Violator posted:

They should get the folks from the Shockwaves podcast to host some stuff. They seem like they really know their stuff and work in varying degrees in the movie industry. They all are kinda movie dorks, though, and don’t seem to have the eclectic charm of someone like JBB.

Edit: I’d accept almost anyone outside of people connected with the Nostalgia Critic. I hate that guy and those shows more than even AICN.

Nostalgia Critic is horrible, but his inner circle basically imploded, and a lot of the people who used to be trying to rip him off to fit in are actually doing pretty solid work now.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Where would I have seen this guy before?

He's written a bunch of books about cryptozoological subjects and has been involved with some documentaries. He's not super famous, but I listen to a bunch of paranormal podcasts that he's been on so it's kind of neat to see those worlds collide. Joe Bob sounds like he knows his stuff, too, and burst the Faulk Monster bubble with his plausible theory.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

People who say poo poo like that have never read 1984 to the end.

Joe Bob Briggs is a character who wouldn't have read to the end of the book.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
A big part of what makes JBB work for me is that he seems like a normal-ish dude and not a "horror guy". Having some dweeboid in a Ghoulies II t-shirt host horror movie nights would suck no matter how knowledgeable they were.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's absolutely part of it. There's a few people out there on public access cable and the internet that do horror hosting shows. And guess what? They're all fuckin terrible. They have zero charisma or ability to host but they lean hard into these horror personas that don't work at all. I give them credit for trying, but sweet Jesus it's awful.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Hey, was that AVGN? If they really aimed for it they could have gotten Red Letter Media too

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hey, was that AVGN? If they really aimed for it they could have gotten Red Letter Media too

Yeah. Did you see the interview Joe Bob did with James?

edit: Pieces is a great choice for his final movie (if that ends up being true)

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 15, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NutritiousSnack posted:

RLM could totally be on a ton of stuff like this and MST3K if they cared at all about making contacts, but they clearly don't.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Pieces is a great choice for his final movie

Yeah it's too bad the stream seems to be completely hosed again.

(although, on the last movie there was a loooooooong gap at the end of it that looked like it was about 30 minutes long or more. It may just be that they added too much extra blank video at the end of Hellraiser and we're waiting on that to run out)

e: vv Well bully for you and like... ten other people probably!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 15, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah it's too bad the stream seems to be completely hosed again.

(although, on the last movie there was a loooooooong gap at the end of it that looked like it was about 30 minutes long or more. It may just be that they added too much extra blank video at the end of Hellraiser and we're waiting on that to run out)

Weird. It's playing fine for me.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Pretty special thing going on.

Violator
May 15, 2003

His knowledge and delivery is awesome. Looking at his books, doesn’t look like anything is available on Kindle. An audio book would be awesome with his delivery.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If any of you are MST3K fans, the director of Pieces is also the director of Pod People. There's a couple of actors in both movies, too.

edit: My stream crapped out and now when I go to Shudder TV, the marathon isn't playing anymore, it's playing some other movie, so it seems like it's 'over' but you should be able to go to that link someone posted above and watch whatever movie you want now.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 15, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

drat this movie is wild, I never even heard of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

drat this movie is wild, I never even heard of it.

Arrow released a special edition blu-ray recently that's pretty good. It has a replica puzzle and everything from the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Welp, it sucks that Joe Bob Briggs' last hurrah was completely botched by Shudder, but hopefully he knows that it's because he's far more beloved than he or the network realized.

Also I'm watching Tourist Trap now, I like the VHS filter they put on his introduction at first but I'm glad they ditched it.