Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

500Mbps down + 500 Mbps up = Gigabit

Lol like Rogers can offer that much upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its quite amazing that Rogers is so completely putrid that they manage to make Bell look like a respectable company. Their blatant false advertising rivals Apple. We had fibe when I was a student about 5 years ago, and Rogers came along offering this "hybrid" fibre. We were getting 50/50 I think at the time, this was 50/10. Was much cheaper, so I said gently caress it, we'll give it a try. Just throttled everything. The internet was completely useless. Reached out to their tech support, got some copy paste poo poo about how they are proven to be #1 in this and that. Not to mention, I was away when the tech came to hook us up, but there was coax strewn literally across the living room floor like some kind of child might do. We had them for 2 months and went back to Bell. Then finally got our first bill, for $2000. I hadn't returned any of their gear as they hadn't told me how or when. Brought it all back, that reduced our bill to $400 for 2 months of what was supposed to be a $89/mo plan. I never ever gave them 5 cents and its written off on my credit history now thankfully. Oh, did I mention how those red bastards single handedly, completely and irreparably ruined hockey broadcasting in Canada? As campy and bad as TSN has gotten, Sportsnet really is the WCW to TSN's WWF.

On the same note, Bell's DSL around here is "up to" a whopping 10mbps, the most I've seen anybody get is 8, most get 5 or less. Seen some get less than 1. Out my way theres no Fibe, heard so many different takes on it. But gf actually worked for them briefly and apparently its just at a standstill. But at least there's Eastlink who offers at least 100mbps and up to 940, but unfortunately at that speed still is only 10mbps up. And the tech who set me up said the one guy who opted for the 940 actually slowed down everyone else around him. I dunno, gf lives on youtube and I'm always at something, gaming, downloading or something, and the 100mbps minimum package we get is fine, just wish we had a bit more upload bandwidth. I dunno what I'd do with loving gigabit. Young dialup me would enjoy downloading 100 gigs in however long that takes.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Out of morbid curiosity I decided to hit up NCIX in google and it looks like their site is still up.

I still have "fond" memories of trying to order a 8700 through them, Christ was that a mistake. Thankfully I managed to get my refund through before they declared bankruptcy but that was not a fun time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I decided to hit up NCIX in google and it looks like their site is still up.

I still have "fond" memories of trying to order a 8700 through them, Christ was that a mistake. Thankfully I managed to get my refund through before they declared bankruptcy but that was not a fun time.

Same, I had just ordered a case prior to their bankruptcy and it was such a pain. Ended up having to go through my credit card company for the charge back and it took months.

Made me hesitant to order even from places like Canada computers.

mewse
May 2, 2006

NCIX had a sign on their door telling people to do those chargebacks with their credit card

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mewse posted:

NCIX had a sign on their door telling people to do those chargebacks with their credit card

Originally they were telling people to go pick up the merch in Richmond warehouse which A) I could never get confirmation that my stuff was actually there and B) fuuuuuuuck driving to Richmond at the best of times.

Tangerine MC took about 2.5 months to do the chargeback so I was pretty ticked off with them too, and am on the lookout for a new CC/banking provider but they’re all poo poo.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I wonder what happens if you order from their site. I assume the money just goes into the ether.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm moving to a basement apartment and decided to go with start.ca cable internet. The problem is that the cable jack is in the living room, whereas my PC will be in the 2nd bedroom /office. I wanted them to install a length of coax cable but they are resistant and suggested using a powerline adapter setup.

I'm not familiar with powerline adapters but this workaround sounds like it could cost me another hundred bucks or so. Is there really something so bad about getting a technician to install a length of coax cable, or are they being obtuse / difficult?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm moving to a basement apartment and decided to go with start.ca cable internet. The problem is that the cable jack is in the living room, whereas my PC will be in the 2nd bedroom /office. I wanted them to install a length of coax cable but they are resistant and suggested using a powerline adapter setup.

I'm not familiar with powerline adapters but this workaround sounds like it could cost me another hundred bucks or so. Is there really something so bad about getting a technician to install a length of coax cable, or are they being obtuse / difficult?

Do you have a signed letter from the landlord giving them permission to drill holes and run the line? ISP installers typically aren't going to get all fancy with fishing lines in the wall or installing wallplates, instead just running lines along baseboards and drilling holes when needed. This would lead to tons of complaints from landlords and homeowners wanting compensation for the hole in the wall, so now techs can be really reluctant to do anything beyond the bare minimum past the demarc without that letter.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
powerline ethernet is not great either and really depends on your circuit layout whether or not it will even work room to room, so you probably don't want to do that

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Seventh Arrow posted:

Powerline stuff is awful in my experience. Unless the house wiring is immaculate, good luck getting any kind of quality connection.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Former cable tech support slag here.

Let the installers do any coax cabling (and a signal test), or run your own ethernet.

Coax can be touchy and extending the coax drop with lovely hardware store cable could drop the signal enough to make your modem flap.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks for the input, guys - very much appreciated. Is there an ideal solution that doesn't involve moving my PC to the living room?

As an aside, I don't care if the coax cable is visible (ie, no drilling) as long as the signal is strong enough for the modem. My wife won't like it, but ehh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If the installer won't run coax to your PC, buy a pre-made length of cat-6 and run it from the modem to your PC, tacking it to your baseboards.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, that occurred to me. I think I would need a way to boost the signal, no? I forget how long ethernet cable can go before the signal drops off.

I will definitely try twisting start.ca's arm, though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

300ft is the max before you need a switch, realistically it's more like 250ft or so. how big is this apartment?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It's certainly not more than 30 or 40 feet, so that's good. Thanks!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

As your Internet 150 2-year ValuePlan is coming to an end, to thank-you for your commitment you will receive a discounted rate of $85 per month for the next 12 months on your Internet service. This is a savings of $300 over the regular price of $110 per month and will automatically be applied to your account. You will continue to receive an ongoing free rental for your applicable Internet hardware as outlined in the terms of the agreement.

I knew my two years at $80 was up, figured I was due to pay $110 and started looking at resellers (all around $70/mo) before noticing the above on my bill... If Shaw's opening position is $85, that's not too bad -- it sounds like they'll negotiate down to roughly the same price as the resellers on a new two year term if pressed, too.

(Mind you, Telus is offering 300/300 for an average of ~95/mo over two years and they're due to install fibre at my place any day now ... they're actively working in the neighbourhood. Having a decent upstream again would be nice.)

James Baud fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 19, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

bigmandan posted:

Powerline stuff is awful in my experience. Unless the house wiring is immaculate, good luck getting any kind of quality connection.

And just to be the other side of the anecdotal evidence, I've set powerline stuff up for a few friends/family members, and its worked great. Given how it works, I can 100% see problems occurring, but where I've used it things haven't popped up.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Modern powerline stuff is much better than the first incarnation of it, but it's still a very much try-it-in-your-specific-house type technology still.

For my place, I got a cheap TPLink pair, they sync at 500Mbps across a 50+ year old jankyly wired house, which blew away wireless for the device i got them for (was lucky to get 25Mbps), and beat having to pull a wire for a one off device.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AFAIK it's still unable to jump across breakers, so depending on the circuit topology of your home it may not be possible to connect between any two outlets.

mewse
May 2, 2006

James Baud posted:

I knew my two years at $80 was up, figured I was due to pay $110 and started looking at resellers (all around $70/mo) before noticing the above on my bill... If Shaw's opening position is $85, that's not too bad -- it sounds like they'll negotiate down to roughly the same price as the resellers on a new two year term if pressed, too.

(Mind you, Telus is offering 300/300 for an average of ~95/mo over two years and they're due to install fibre at my place any day now ... they're actively working in the neighbourhood. Having a decent upstream again would be nice.)

Thanks for posting this, I had to go check and they wrote that on my bill as well.

TekSavvy is finally available in Manitoba and I want to switch, but I'd have to gently caress around with wifi routers again................

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
do it

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

infernal machines posted:

AFAIK it's still unable to jump across breakers, so depending on the circuit topology of your home it may not be possible to connect between any two outlets.

Mine definitely works across different circuits to an opposite corner of the house. It's slower but it never drops like wifi.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Am I missing something super obvious here by not wanting to go wireless to the PC in your bedroom?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

slidebite posted:

Am I missing something super obvious here by not wanting to go wireless to the PC in your bedroom?

Consumer wireless sucks compared to a hard-wired connection.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

slidebite posted:

:can:

Some good Ubiquity hardware, 5ghz AC and you're set. But goons and wifi go together like something awful and good posting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Mine definitely works across different circuits to an opposite corner of the house. It's slower but it never drops like wifi.

Ah, last time I played with it (tbf, like 3 years ago), this didn't work at all, at least on the Belkin crap I was working with.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

:can:

Some good Ubiquity hardware, 5ghz AC and you're set. But goons and wifi go together like something awful and good posting.

Poster: I don't want to spend another hundred bucks or so to get a good connection
Goon: Just buy this extra crap for a hundred bucks or so instead of running a cheap cable and having a better connection

lol, goons

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Once upon a time (2003 or so?) I had 8 poweline networking cards. Power surges took care of 7 of them over the next year or three.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

slidebite posted:

Wireless? To the PC? That you do a tiny bit more than visit facebook? :fuckoff:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

5GHz AC is amazing and will satisfy even the most discerning anime fan.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Unless of course you have crazy things like "interior walls". Of course you can always buy an AP for every room, but you're still wiring every room.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When I used to work the phones the best was getting the small business owners, day traders, and Twitch streamers using the ISP provided wifi router and freaking out about how the connection drops are costing them hundreds of dollars a minute. Like lol sure bro, I totally believe you're actually making that much money but are too cheap or stupid to spring for a wired connection or a good access point, let alone a backup internet connection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Unless of course you have crazy things like "interior walls". Of course you can always buy an AP for every room, but you're still wiring every room.
I am posting this 2 floors and several walls away from my router using the wireless from my ISP supplied router on a 250/250 connection.

I have every room wired with cat5e too, but wireless isn't too shabby.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do you live in a tarpaper shack or maybe a new-construction condo?

Any place with lathe and plaster/plaster mesh, or god forbid, brick interior walls where I've seen 5GHz used has massive attenuation issues

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

slidebite posted:

I am posting this 2 floors and several walls away from my router using the wireless from my ISP supplied router on a 250/250 connection.

While that's great, the issue is that there are too many variables involved with a wireless connection, which can make it so that the same equipment that works fine for one person may not give great results for someone else. With a wired connection, as long as your cable is in spec and is plugged in at both ends, you're laughing.

Do you live in a tarpaper shack or maybe a new-construction condo?

Any place with lathe and plaster/plaster mesh, or god forbid, brick interior walls where I've seen 5GHz used has massive attenuation issues

One time I went to a place to help out with diagnosing some wireless issues, and the suites were in this gorgeous old building where every single wall was brick. Sucks that what's probably an awful place to run wires is also the worst type of environment to have a good wireless connection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No, but zero brick walls. Typical 16" C with sheetrock and standard joist floor, so yeah nothing terribly opaque to radio. I do have the main desktop PCs wired though. 5e and RJ45 jacks in every room is kind of nice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I've found hardwood and certain kinds of engineered flooring to be particularly bad for 5GHz as well, but yeah, YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

slidebite posted:

Notice your bufferbloat falling apart? That’s wireless for you.