Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Casimir Radon posted:

Is it wrong that I want to see how long they can continue dragging out The Simpsons?

Just think what kind of expanded universe we're going to get from The Simpsons if the Disney Fox merger goes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nihonniboku posted:

Just think what kind of expanded universe we're going to get from The Simpsons if the Disney Fox merger goes through.

Sora! You must stop Mr Burns from stealing Comic Book Guy's Heartless!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

The Simpsons will never end. They'll bring in sound-alikes and it'll be like the post-Henson Muppets. It won't be quite right but it'll be good enough for them to keep doing it.
Post-Henson Muppets has produced some good stuff. I don't think The Simpsons has had what you could consider a very good episode in more than a decade.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Edward Mass posted:

I'll stop watching the Simpsons when something better comes on during its timeslot. Your move, television!

You know you're not required to actually watch anything in that timeslot? You can do literally anything else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, other than sports I don’t think I tune into anything live. Altho sometimes I’ll watch something on a fifteen minute delay or so and then skip the ads.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I mean, The Simpsons was shot on film, so I hope they can go back and restore those episodes to HD.

Now, I know someone is going to say "wait, in season 14 they switch to digital ink and paint."

No. The only episode they did digital ink and paint for was the Radioactive Man movie episode. There was no season 14. That must be a different show.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To follow up on a post from a few pages ago... I remarked that I was finding 4x3 35mm prints of the Russian War and Peace on eBay.

According to Wikipedia, they had actually filmed a standard 35mm version alongside the 70mm version!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cemetry Gator posted:

I mean, The Simpsons was shot on film, so I hope they can go back and restore those episodes to HD.

Pretty sure it was film with video compositing, especially in the early seasons. A number of episodes on the season 1 DVDs in particular have unusual frame cadences, 240p freeze frames, and dot crawl artifacts, thanks to how it was originally composited to video.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pretty sure it was film with video compositing, especially in the early seasons. A number of episodes on the season 1 DVDs in particular have unusual frame cadences, 240p freeze frames, and dot crawl artifacts, thanks to how it was originally composited to video.

I wouldn't be surprised, but it might might not be too hard to do.

I remember on Futurama, they were talking about how the shift to digital made it easier for them to do freeze frames, since on the Simpsons, it would look weird due to the film grain, or something like that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

39 film, 30 disk Ingmar Bergman set from Criterion arranged like a film festival.
https://thefilmstage.com/news/the-criterion-collection-announces-39-film-ingmar-bergman-box-set/

$240, which comes to $6 per movie. I'm in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

39 film, 30 disk Ingmar Bergman set from Criterion arranged like a film festival.
https://thefilmstage.com/news/the-criterion-collection-announces-39-film-ingmar-bergman-box-set/

$240, which comes to $6 per movie. I'm in.

Even if it's cheaper during the B&N sale, buying it online at Criterion's site gets you halfway to a $50 gift certificate through their points system. I'll be pre-ordering directly from them for that reason.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The bn sale will knock it down to half price. $120 for the Bergman set will be very very good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I would pay good money for a Blu-Ray remaster of the first 10 years of the Simpsons. Sadly I doubt that will ever happen.

Edward Mass posted:

I'll stop watching the Simpsons when something better comes on during its timeslot. Your move, television!

You know what I used to do during the Simpsons timeslot? Watch good episodes of the Simpsons, you know, seasons 2-8

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I would pay good money for a Blu-Ray remaster of the first 10 years of the Simpsons. Sadly I doubt that will ever happen.

You know what I used to do during the Simpsons timeslot? Watch good episodes of the Simpsons, you know, seasons 2-8

Seasons 9 and 10 are good and Behind the Laughter is essential.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I know, I intend to get them one of these days along with season 1 to complete the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s great stuff all the way though season 15. The later Al Jean seasons are definitely inferior, but they aren’t the dire hellscape they’re made out to be until you get past season 18 or 19.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I know, I intend to get them one of these days along with season 1 to complete the show.

I really don't like those first two seasons. They're almost painful to watch, not just because the animation looks awful but because the jokes just aren't there and the episodes usually revolve around some kind of sentimental horseshit instead of comedy. I don't own them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I got the first season of The Simpsons when it first came out (was a huge deal at the time) and man was it rough.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cemetry Gator posted:

Now, I know someone is going to say "wait, in season 14 they switch to digital ink and paint."

No. The only episode they did digital ink and paint for was the Radioactive Man movie episode. There was no season 14. That must be a different show.

Wasn’t Tennis the Menace when they started with digital inking? The fandom on the message boards back then went crazy that they were a different shade of yellow.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Iron Crowned posted:

Be careful what you wish for. Chances are they’d just dump the remasters they show on FXX. So if you like recropping to 16:9, and color correcting some of the older seasons (and, if I recall correctly, some occasionally dubious image processing), be my guest.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I really don't like those first two seasons. They're almost painful to watch, not just because the animation looks awful but because the jokes just aren't there and the episodes usually revolve around some kind of sentimental horseshit instead of comedy. I don't own them.

I used to have that opinion of the second season, but I finally got around to picking it up a few years ago, and while it hasn't hit it's stride like season 3, it's a lot better than I remembered and has several of the classics. Season 2 is probably better than you remember it being.

I definitely remember season 1 being pretty rough though, it's been forever since I've watched it though. It does make me a bit sad that I remember when watching reruns, season 1 was the worst you could do.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Be careful what you wish for. Chances are they’d just dump the remasters they show on FXX. So if you like recropping to 16:9, and color correcting some of the older seasons (and, if I recall correctly, some occasionally dubious image processing), be my guest.

Yeah, I'll pass on that one

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Behind the Laughter was a great series finale. Wish the show could've kept going, I bet they would've found their footing again.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Wasn’t Tennis the Menace when they started with digital inking? The fandom on the message boards back then went crazy that they were a different shade of yellow.

That episode was the second test episode. So the last produced with cel animation was the one where Homer hangs out with rock stars. But apparently Helter Shelter was the last to air. So season 14 was when the switch happen full time.

They did two test episodes. There Radioactive Man Movie was digital ink and paint, and that was pretty early on, and it looks a bit rough. During that time though, a lot of cartoons experimented with digital. There's one episode of Cowboy Bebop that's entirely digital ink and paint, King of the Hill had a bit of transition, the first one being the one where Bobby learns self defense, and then there were some scenes that used digital ink and paint.

I like the look of cel, but I don't dislike the look of digital. I feel like the color looks a little duller, but that's really all I can say about it.

And if I remember correctly, the Simpsons basically had to stop because the animation house they used just didn't have people who were being trained to do cels. Plus, it actually makes production a lot easier since recoloring happens much faster.

Also, to defend season 1 - you have a few great episodes. Bart going to France, Sideshow Bob, the war against the bully, some enchanted evening...

Seriously, like half of the season is pretty strong. I really only dislike Marge in the Fast Lane.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

October Criterions:

Eight Hours Don't Make A Day - 2K restoration
Shampoo - 4K restoration
The Princess Bride - 4K remaster with clothbound case
Sisters (Blu upgrade) - 4K remaster
The Naked Prey (Blu upgrade)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Wow! Was not expecting Princess Bride. Definitely gonna get that one, but I'm less familiar with the other 4.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Princess Bride is an instant* purchase.

Hopefully the rumored Excalibur is gonna be in November.

*Wait a few days and buy 50% off

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Princess Bride is such a weird inclusion, as if there wasn't already a well-put together deluxe Blu-ray release with a glut of features

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I Before E posted:

Princess Bride is such a weird inclusion, as if there wasn't already a well-put together deluxe Blu-ray release with a glut of features

Doesn't have a numbered spine tho

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

The bn sale will knock it down to half price. $120 for the Bergman set will be very very good.

MSRP is $300 so it will be $150 during the sale, but yes still a fantastic deal.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I Before E posted:

Looks to be a new transfer with new interviews.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't mind Criterion's recent trend of putting some crowd pleaser type poo poo in the collection because ultimately people buying that poo poo pays for them to do more interesting and vital releases. I mean I still think that Princess Bride is a pretty unnecessary addition, but whatever.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Princess Bride was already part of Criterion, it got released on Laserdisc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome for August is 3 blus:

Shot (1973)

quote:

Semi-urban detective duo Ross and Wilson have been charged with taking down local drug kingpin, Blasi. After busting a low-level pusher, they convince his girlfriend, Sheila, to start working for them as an undercover operative in exchange for avoiding prison. But as Ross finds himself becoming romantically interested in his new, perpetually spaced out informant, Blasi continues to strengthen his crime empire, setting his sights on even loftier, and deadlier, ambitions.

Wonder Women (1973)

quote:

While traveling to Australia, American detective Mike Harber (Ross Hagen) finds himself stranded in The Philippines and obliged to assist in solving the mysterious disappearance of a famous Jai alai athlete. After hearing from a witness that the man might have been kidnapped by a group of beautiful, hearse driving women, Mike quickly finds himself a new target of the Wonder Women, a group of martial arts fighting assassins who work for the mysterious Dr. Tsu (Nancy Kwan); an evil genius scientist who’s been collecting able-bodied men for use in her bizarre body part transplant experiments!

Dear Dead Delilah (1972)

quote:

Back in 1943, Luddy viciously murdered her mother with an axe. 30 years later and freshly released from the state mental hospital, deemed ‘cured’ of her violent impulses, Luddy’s luck seems to be turning around, thanks to a chance encounter with the family of Delilah (Agnes Moorehead), the miserly matriarch of a large plantation estate. She quickly finds herself hired as Delilah’s housekeeper, but no sooner than her arrival at the cavernous and secluded mansion, grisly murders begin to take place. And worse, each time a new corpse is discovered, Luddy finds she is unable to recall her whereabouts at the time of the bloodshed. Could her old self be coming out, or is someone else trying to set her up for more sinister motives?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

I don't mind Criterion's recent trend of putting some crowd pleaser type poo poo in the collection because ultimately people buying that poo poo pays for them to do more interesting and vital releases. I mean I still think that Princess Bride is a pretty unnecessary addition, but whatever.

How do you feel about RoboCop being in the collection?

Correct answer: The commentary track is great.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man I'm digging the stuff 88 Films is releasing in its Asia collection. The more Shaw Brothers horror that hits Blu-ray, the better off the world is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just pre-ordered my first UHD - 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Don't even have a player yet, but I have until October.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

interesting and vital releases.

Like The Blob 88.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if The Blob '88 turns up with Scream Factory since they just started licensing from Sony and Twilight Time's edition is OOP.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My wish is for junky cinema to take over criterion. I want to live in the universe where that Criteron Kindergarten cop is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eventually they’re gunna have to realize 90s and 00s comedy exists