Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

magnificent7 posted:

I'm sorry y'all - you can say Owl, or Waterfowl, or Superbowl, but that all fades away when you hear, "His previous wife died from a fall down the stairs as well."

BAM sorry what now why are we even discussing this again?

I guess we're discussing it because you're bad at watching TV :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thanks to whoever posted Decline of Western Civ.

I've seen 2 a few times and parts of 3 but part 1 was really loving hard to track down.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just finished binging all 13 eps of The Staircase. I watched the original way back in the late 2000s and was unaware of The Staircase 2, so imagine my surprise when I heard about the Netflix release and saw those extra 5 episodes.

The whole thing is one of the craziest crime documentary rollercoaster rides ever, right up there with the Paradise Lost series. I can't believe how much access the crew got; I guess North Carolina is pretty liberal with allowing media involvement in legal proceedings. The final interview with the judge in particular was surprising. It's all the more impressive because other than a few lingering shots in the new episodes that could have been cut short there wasn't really any fat that could have been cut.

Candace's speech in the last episode was really crazy, but I thought it was a really interesting coda for the whole documentary. She specifically calls out the filmmakers for biasing the film towards Michael Peterson and trying to make him look more innocent, and one thing I was struck by watching it this time through is that they do seem to have left out a lot of information on evidence. For instance, we hear in The Staircase 2 episodes that the blood on the inside of the shorts was apparently what swayed most of the jury towards a guilty verdict, but this wasn't even discussed in the the original episodes. Also, someone in here mentioned that there was blood leading from the pool into the house. It just leads me to wonder how prejudicial the filmmakers were in their inclusion of evidence and theories (like the owl theory, for instance).

Basically, I'm left still wondering what happened. A fall seems plausible, but every time I see the crime scene pictures all I can think of is how much blood there is and how it's absolutely everywhere. Even if the defence's reconstruction is the most plausible explanation it's still really hard to imagine her getting all those lacerations from falling against anything in that staircase all by herself.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’m watching Finder’s Keepers on Prime and I’m loving dying here.

A man bought a storage unit in an auction, and found a smoker which contained a human leg.

The amputee discussing what he did with his leg leading it to ending up in the smoker is loving ridiculous.

They start fighting for custody of a severed, mummified leg

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 22, 2018

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m watching Finder’s Keepers on Prime and I’m loving dying here.

A man bought a storage unit in an auction, and found a smoker which contained a human leg.

The amputee discussing what he did with his leg leading it to ending up in the smoker is loving ridiculous.

They start fighting for custody of a [i]severed, mummified leg[//i]

That one was a little crazy but I loved watching the whole process. Such a weird situation for everyone and the way it played out was kinda silly.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It was both silly but also got kind of sad as it went on.

John’s reason for wanting to keep it/get it back was still pretty weird, but I could kind of understand it given the circumstances of losing his leg.

Shannon just struck me as just... really pathetic. Thinking that displaying a man’s mummified leg will be his claim to fame because he’s just so goddamn bitter and desperate to be something.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

Basically, I'm left still wondering what happened. A fall seems plausible, but every time I see the crime scene pictures all I can think of is how much blood there is and how it's absolutely everywhere.

Head wounds are just insane. I work in a kindergarten and one day a kid fell and got a little cut on his forehead. After I had rushed him to bathroom to try and comfort him and stop the bleeding there was blood everywhere. On my clothes, on his clothes, where he had fallen and in the bathroom.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Alhazred posted:

Head wounds are just insane. I work in a kindergarten and one day a kid fell and got a little cut on his forehead. After I had rushed him to bathroom to try and comfort him and stop the bleeding there was blood everywhere. On my clothes, on his clothes, where he had fallen and in the bathroom.

OK, the blood can be explained by the number of lacerations, but the number and shape of lacerations still appear to me not at all to be in line with an individual falling and repeatedly hitting their head in a stairwell. I think at some point Rudolph mentions that there was some sort of metal fixture or something in the landing of the stairwell that she might've been hitting her head against, but neither side in the documentary seems to talk about that and in the diagrams it's not exactly clear.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

OK, the blood can be explained by the number of lacerations, but the number and shape of lacerations still appear to me not at all to be in line with an individual falling and repeatedly hitting their head in a stairwell. I think at some point Rudolph mentions that there was some sort of metal fixture or something in the landing of the stairwell that she might've been hitting her head against, but neither side in the documentary seems to talk about that and in the diagrams it's not exactly clear.
In my experience working in kindergarten it's extremely easy to cut your head when falling. Also the DA's explanation was that Peterson was mad but not restrained enough to not break the skull and choose a weapon that would lacerate without cracking the skull.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

In my experience working in kindergarten it's extremely easy to cut your head when falling. Also the DA's explanation was that Peterson was mad but not restrained enough to not break the skull and choose a weapon that would lacerate without cracking the skull.

I absolutely don't buy the DA's explanation, but I am still perplexed by even the most plausible accident scenario. I guess it's just easier than I thought to severely lacerate your head down to the bone.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MeinPanzer posted:

I absolutely don't buy the DA's explanation, but I am still perplexed by even the most plausible accident scenario. I guess it's just easier than I thought to severely lacerate your head down to the bone.

The skin on the head and scalp is really thin and there isn’t really fat/muscle under it. I dinged my head on a faucet when I was a kid, and even though it only took a few stitches to close, it was down to the bone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Brb, gonna fill my head up with synthol for protection.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MeinPanzer posted:

It really is. I've bumped my head several times in my life, on non-sharp things, and suddenly blood is pouring everywhere even though it didn't even hurt.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_wi8Ti9vUY
From the makers of Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, find it somewhere.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i found it, really good but also man are we hosed when the chinese house of cards collapses.

i'm watching inside job now and i have to laugh at barney frank being one of the talking heads because he joined the board of a bank after he left congress.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 24, 2018

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

Tenzarin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_wi8Ti9vUY
From the makers of Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, find it somewhere.

My god, the editing in that trailer sounds like a hatchet job. Reality show bad.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MeinPanzer posted:

Just finished binging all 13 eps of The Staircase.

The documentary left out minor details such as the editor of it having an ongoing relationship with Peterson, Peterson having $143,000 in credit card debt and that Kathleen was about to be laid off just before she died and that the house and car were in her name. Also that her brain had red neurons in it, which is indicative of her suffering from low blood flow to the brain (due to bleeding out) that would have required her to be bleeding out for at least 45 minutes or for up to about 2 hours before she actually died (to be fair, if you looked closely during one episode you could see the GOOD/BAD list of things for the defense and "RED NEURONS" was clearly under the bad side).

I don't expect a documentary to be neutral, but if you watched The Staircase and thought "well how could those jurors possibly reach that decision?", the answer is because they were getting way more information than we were and not necessarily because the system failed or whatever. I think this is also why Candace's speech toward the end seems "crazy" -- it's probably not, if you have the same information she does.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Doesn't a big chunk of "Redux" go into all that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

InfiniteZero posted:

The documentary left out minor details such as the editor of it having an ongoing relationship with Peterson, Peterson having $143,000 in credit card debt and that Kathleen was about to be laid off just before she died and that the house and car were in her name. Also that her brain had red neurons in it, which is indicative of her suffering from low blood flow to the brain (due to bleeding out) that would have required her to be bleeding out for at least 45 minutes or for up to about 2 hours before she actually died (to be fair, if you looked closely during one episode you could see the GOOD/BAD list of things for the defense and "RED NEURONS" was clearly under the bad side).

I don't expect a documentary to be neutral, but if you watched The Staircase and thought "well how could those jurors possibly reach that decision?", the answer is because they were getting way more information than we were and not necessarily because the system failed or whatever. I think this is also why Candace's speech toward the end seems "crazy" -- it's probably not, if you have the same information she does.

Even taking all that into account, I'm still on the "reasonable doubt" side. Especially after they found the blowpoke.

And the prosecutor's entire "HE WAS A BAH SEKSH YEW ALL" line of attack was despicable.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Doesn't a big chunk of "Redux" go into all that?

Nope. Not at all.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

precision posted:

Even taking all that into account, I'm still on the "reasonable doubt" side. Especially after they found the blowpoke.

And the prosecutor's entire "HE WAS A BAH SEKSH YEW ALL" line of attack was despicable.

Jeez, don't watch any of the Paradise Lost movies, then, there's a LOT of this type of thinking

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jeez, don't watch any of the Paradise Lost movies, then, there's a LOT of this type of thinking

You talking about this one?

"Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills is a 1996 American documentary film directed, produced and edited by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky about the trials of the West Memphis Three, three teenage boys accused of the May 1993 murders and sexual mutilation of three prepubescent boys as a part of an alleged satanic ritual in West Memphis, Arkansas.

The film uses the music of Metallica instead of an original soundtrack, marking the first time that the band authorized their music to be used in a film"

I've never heard of it, but I remember the West Memphis Three so now I know what to watch next.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

precision posted:

You talking about this one?

"Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills is a 1996 American documentary film directed, produced and edited by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky about the trials of the West Memphis Three, three teenage boys accused of the May 1993 murders and sexual mutilation of three prepubescent boys as a part of an alleged satanic ritual in West Memphis, Arkansas.

The film uses the music of Metallica instead of an original soundtrack, marking the first time that the band authorized their music to be used in a film"

I've never heard of it, but I remember the West Memphis Three so now I know what to watch next.

In all seriousness it's a great loving movie, and the followup docs are required viewing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Paradise Lost is some dark dark poo poo and although it’s an unbelievable collection of documentaries, I don’t think I could watch it again with the state our world is in. But if you’re a masochist or aren’t feeling as negatively about the world as I am right now, I HIGHLY recommend them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The three Paradise Lost movies are must-watches. West of Memphis -- produced by Peter Jackson -- is actually good too. Obviously not as in-depth as the Paradise Lost films though.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Not *quite* documentaries, but the BBC have placed everything related to their Computer Literacy Project online. This project ran in the 80's and was designed to instruct the British public about microcomputers (and which spawned the BBC Micro).

Apart from 150+ TV programs they've even included the computer programs they used to demonstrate various techniques.

Check it out here: https://computer-literacy-project.pilots.bbcconnectedstudio.co.uk

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I want to dive deep into the 30 Years' War, and the clusterfuck that it sounds like it was, any suggestions?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm watching wild wild country and these people are such psychos. talking about how they were immediately entranced seeing some bearded weirdo in a robe.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just watched Sean Dunne's Oxyana. Holy poo poo. I loved his work on American Juggalo and Trump Rally but this doc is even better. I have no idea how but he always stays at an eye level with his subjects, it would be so easy to look down on the de addicts but he manages to show their side of the story without glorifying it. It's on YouTube so watch it!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Popelmon posted:

I just watched Sean Dunne's Oxyana. Holy poo poo. I loved his work on American Juggalo and Trump Rally but this doc is even better. I have no idea how but he always stays at an eye level with his subjects, it would be so easy to look down on the de addicts but he manages to show their side of the story without glorifying it. It's on YouTube so watch it!

I recognized "American Juggalo" and wondered if there was a sequel. Cool.

One quick web search turns up the full version of Oxyana for free on his own web site, plus American Juggalo II: http://www.veryape.tv/oxyana/

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 15, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He named his studio after an underrated Nirvana song. Cool.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
I saw Won’t You Be My Neighbor last night, in an entirely empty theater (which was a relief because I cried most of the time.) If it’s playing near you, go see it. Fred Rogers was a very special man and this was a beautiful tribute.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Does anyone know the name of the documentary about the breakup of Yugoslavia? I am almost positive I watched it based on the recommendation of this thread but it’s been years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mahoning posted:

Does anyone know the name of the documentary about the breakup of Yugoslavia? I am almost positive I watched it based on the recommendation of this thread but it’s been years.

The Death Of Yugoslavia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Popelmon posted:

Oh hell yes, it's loving gorgeous and heartbreaking, especially since I'm from and have lived in towns exactly like that (and my mom's parents still do)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how the hell does ken burns open his vietnam documentary with the war being started with the "best intentions"???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the hell does ken burns open his vietnam documentary with the war being started with the "best intentions"???

It is, all things considered, not the best documentary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/07/what-we-did

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Give it more than a few minutes. The value of the doc is not found in its narrative thesis statements, especially the first episode which is by its nature very summary heavy. The documentary absolutely interrogates the intentions of many of the leaders and draws a more and more cynical conclusion as it goes.

I would actually say it’s a great strategy for luring in mild mannered doc viewers - “ah, ok, this won’t attack me or my country” - only for it to later rake its viewers over the coals very pointedly when the US makes the wrong choice year after year. Most school kids, for example, do not learn that Macnamara wrote a memo that 70% of being in Vietnam was to “save face.”

You’re obviously allowed your own reaction, but don’t let its gentle beginnings think you should toss it outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's good, i just finished episode 2 last night (assassination of diem).

yeah i read Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam right before i started watching.