Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Didn't they explain it in a distant star when Garibaldi was trying to cook his stuff? Something to do with the weight vs space=cost pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirty posted:

Surely all the aliens would be more of a health risk to each other? Adding a few chickens doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

Not really. Animals can be VERY good at hiding serious illnesses until it's too late. Not to mention potential vectors like fleas or parasites. Aliens coming through the station are just like any other international traveller; There's some risk, but by-and-large you've got people who are bright enough to take immunization shots and not go out among the populace if they know they're contagious with the flu. You're also dealing with the fact that all those species have interacted for decades, if not centuries. Cross-contamination like what you imply would be a long-solved problem already.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. Animals can be VERY good at hiding serious illnesses until it's too late.

Don't be rude about the markab

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I keep thinking of the episode where they're chatting cloak-and-dagger stuff in the bathroom, and in the background there's this sealed airlock door marked 'Pak'ma'ra use only'.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Better than cleaning the methane toilets.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dirty posted:

Surely all the aliens would be more of a health risk to each other? Adding a few chickens doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

A few chickens always make a difference. Just ask this guy:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bieeanshee posted:

I keep thinking of the episode where they're chatting cloak-and-dagger stuff in the bathroom, and in the background there's this sealed airlock door marked 'Pak'ma'ra use only'.

Pak'ma'ra are carrion eaters. You really don't want to go in there.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

Pak'ma'ra are carrion eaters. You really don't want to go in there.

And that hump? It’s not a hump. It’s where they have their...

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Narsham posted:

A few chickens always make a difference. Just ask this guy:

Hah, I wouldn't have recognised that until a certain Twitch marathon kicked off recently ;)

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

drat, just watched confessions and lamentations. Wow I did not remember this one at all from when I was a kid. Kind of ballsy to wipe out an entire species and have no real redeeming ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Freddy posted:

drat, just watched confessions and lamentations. Wow I did not remember this one at all from when I was a kid. Kind of ballsy to wipe out an entire species and have no real redeeming ending.

What I liked about it was it has absolutely nothing to do with the arching plot. There's no Shadow or Vorlon interference, it was all their own embarrassing hubris.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Darth Freddy posted:

It's a Strong episode.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Doctor Zero posted:

And that hump? It’s not a hump. It’s where they have their...

Isn't the hump the male? They're like anglerfish.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Darth Freddy posted:

Back in 1995 they wrote a show about a race of people so obsessed and concerned over morality that they would allow a medical disease to overwhelm and wipe out their entire race rather then face it head on.

I think I read that they were alluding to AIDS or something at the time, but with all the craziness going on in the world now it doesn't really seem that far fetched for an entrenched culture to just blindly reject science and medicine in favor of some social concern.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pentyne posted:

Back in 1995 they wrote a show about a race of people so obsessed and concerned over morality that they would allow a medical disease to overwhelm and wipe out their entire race rather then face it head on.

I think I read that they were alluding to AIDS or something at the time, but with all the craziness going on in the world now it doesn't really seem that far fetched for an entrenched culture to just blindly reject science and medicine in favor of some social concern.

JMS himself stated it was not at all about AIDS.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Frankly, that episode reminded me about the Jehovah's Witnesses more than anything else

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What I liked about it was it has absolutely nothing to do with the arching plot. There's no Shadow or Vorlon interference, it was all their own embarrassing hubris.

There's a not entirely unsubstantiated theory that the Drafa Plague was created or refined by the Shadows. There's evidence that the Markab knew the Shadows were returning before Delenn told anyone about it. It was hubris that got them, but the possibility exists that they were pushed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Polaron posted:

Isn't the hump the male? They're like anglerfish.

Yeah. Of course everyone (myself included) originally thought it was a genitals joke.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
JMS said the hump was the female, but I'm not sure how that works. Also the Narn are like seahorses and the male gives birth. And we all know about the Centauri. (In "Born to the Purple" they considered showing the 'receptacles' on Adira's back but decided against it.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's also all the stuff they originally planned on doing with Delenn. JMS is awesome he's a weirdo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Jedit posted:

There's a not entirely unsubstantiated theory that the Drafa Plague was created or refined by the Shadows. There's evidence that the Markab knew the Shadows were returning before Delenn told anyone about it. It was hubris that got them, but the possibility exists that they were pushed.

I've seen some "fanon" that suggests that Jha'Dur (Deathwalker) was responsible for the Markab plague. I don't think there's anything to suggest it in the actual show though.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Q_res posted:

I've seen some "fanon" that suggests that Jha'Dur (Deathwalker) was responsible for the Markab plague. I don't think there's anything to suggest it in the actual show though.

Given the original plague struck Drafa in ancient times, at best she could have been responsible for reviving it. But there's no clear mechanism through which that could have happened. The Shadows seem more likely, though it's also possible that the disease recurred randomly and it was the Markab response that guaranteed their extinction.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

Given the original plague struck Drafa in ancient times, at best she could have been responsible for reviving it. But there's no clear mechanism through which that could have happened. The Shadows seem more likely, though it's also possible that the disease recurred randomly and it was the Markab response that guaranteed their extinction.

Possible, but remember that originally Drafa was confined to a single island. Not only would that be a good testing ground for a plague - you don't want to expose the general population in case it's too weak and they become immune - it's also probable that the Markab wouldn't go back, even with their pride, because that's the kind of thing that leads to a place becoming taboo. If nobody mentioned that hey, yeah, we went to Dead Sinner Island and now there's plague about, then that strongly implies it wasn't the source.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's sad is that no matter what it would of still had happen. Maybe if they had known right away but never know.

pentyne posted:

I don't know about aids but yeah to play it out that way with out pulling any punches was pretty brave.

Angry Lobster posted:

Frankly, that episode reminded me about the Jehovah's Witnesses more than anything else

For jeovahs witnesses or Mormons I think the episode was "belivers" where the parents would not let their kid have a procedure because it would require cutting the skin wich would release his soul. That some like something that could very well be part of a current relegion.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Pick posted:

It's a Strong episode.

Strong is a understatement. With all the camera time they gave the little girl you would normally think they were going to save her.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Narsham posted:

Seems like.y to be engineered because it’s very unlikely for a disease to be 100% contagious and 100% lethal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Zero posted:

Seems like.y to be engineered because it’s very unlikely for a disease to be 100% contagious and 100% lethal.

It was caused by a genetic condition the Markab brought on themselves because they genocided the other sentient species on their planet they were supposed to cross-breed with.

Basically they were all inbred just enough to make them all genetically viable to the plague rather than the other way around.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was caused by a genetic condition the Markab brought on themselves because they genocided the other sentient species on their planet they were supposed to cross-breed with.

Basically they were all inbred just enough to make them all genetically viable to the plague rather than the other way around.

Different episode. The one you're thinking of is a season 5 episode B plot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vord posted:

Different episode. The one you're thinking of is a season 5 episode B plot.

Wait, really? Am I thinking of that other Markab-ish race?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, really? Am I thinking of that other Markab-ish race?

The Hyach, yes. With the Hyach-do as the other species.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I also like they weave it into the story later but using the markab gate as a weapon, because it's not being used by anyone by scavengers now. This is far better than having an entire species wiped out and it not having any kind of consequences later.

I'm getting toward mid-season 4 and it's so much better the second time around/now that I'm older. Is season 5 worth watching? I just stopped at Sleeping in Light last time.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think season 5 is stronger than its reputation; the Byron plot drags a bit, but you get tons of great Bester moments. And the second half of the season is pretty much all Londo, all the time, so... you know, good stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

the Byron plot drags a bit,

It was a disaster and a limp fish of a story that JMS wanted to do about a serious no poo poo telepath war. It could've been saved by some many things but in the end it just wasn't engaging and it forced this random new character to try and go toe to toe with Walter Koenig and come off like something you'd expect in a local community theater play.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Yeah, but it's not as bad when you're rewatching and going through a few episodes a night than when it was literally months worth of episodes that all seemed to be set in the same brown coridor...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, but it's not as bad when you're rewatching and going through a few episodes a night than when it was literally months worth of episodes that all seemed to be set in the same brown coridor...

I will freely admit the Harlan Ellison episode is especially entertaining. Whether or not the episode really makes sense it was a great new perspective on runnings of B5.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Was the decision to end the overarcing plot of the story in the early-to-mid part of S4 a choice, or the result of the cancelled-wait-no-we-aren't situation the series had near the end? Every time I do a rewatch, I'm pretty much done after that.

I love that Lorien says "oh they are here to talk to you, I can't interfere", but the minute the Sheridan's words fall to convince them to gently caress off, Lorien has to steps in and goes "Hey my dudes, this guy is right".

e: oh man, I love when the nukes go off and it jump cuts to Tallman's :stare: face.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angry Salami posted:

I think season 5 is stronger than its reputation; the Byron plot drags a bit, but you get tons of great Bester moments. And the second half of the season is pretty much all Londo, all the time, so... you know, good stuff.

The Byron plot is just an irredeemable and colossal boat anchor for the first half of season 5. And you can tell this because once it's burned to the ground and never spoken of again the season kicks off proper from the very next episode.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Byron Lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Was the decision to end the overarcing plot of the story in the early-to-mid part of S4 a choice, or the result of the cancelled-wait-no-we-aren't situation the series had near the end? Every time I do a rewatch, I'm pretty much done after that.

I love that Lorien says "oh they are here to talk to you, I can't interfere", but the minute the Sheridan's words fall to convince them to gently caress off, Lorien has to steps in and goes "Hey my dudes, this guy is right".

The important thing is that Lorien can't be the one who declares what the younger races want. If he does, then Sheridan becomes his mouthpiece and nothing changes except there's now three Elder factions instead of two. To mean anything it has to be the younger races making their own choice, with Lorien in a passive - even subservient - position supporting their decision.

Also the plot didn't end in early S4, only the Shadow War. The Shadow War was always intended to end at the end of S4, with the Earth Civil War and Fall of Centauri Prime arcs being S5. JMS has never exactly hidden the inspiration he took from Lord of the Rings. In the book the struggle does not end with the destruction of the One Ring; nor does the story in B5 end happily as soon as the villain is defeated. S1-4 is about struggling for the right to choose our future. S5 is about building it.