Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I'm on S2E4 of Luke Cage. Does anyone have trouble suspending disbelief in the scenes with Macklemore (or whatever the gently caress his name is) and his cougar GF? The acting is just... odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m not much further and I can’t tell if it’s bad chemistry between the actors, or the actors playing bad chemistry between the characters.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I’m not much further and I can’t tell if it’s bad chemistry between the actors, or the actors playing bad chemistry between the characters.

I think at least the actors knew drat well they had no natural chemistry together and just rolled with it. I don't know, I think it works, and makes that a much more interesting relationship than it might otherwise have been.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

docbeard posted:

I think at least the actors knew drat well they had no natural chemistry together and just rolled with it. I don't know, I think it works, and makes that a much more interesting relationship than it might otherwise have been.

he's also bad at acting away from his cougar imho

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

docbeard posted:

It's certainly a plot point that there's no actual chemistry between the characters - the show knows it as well as the viewer.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Cythereal posted:

It's certainly a plot point that there's no actual chemistry between the characters - the show knows it as well as the viewer.

[awkwardly rubs partner overlooking a nightclub while glaring]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I remain of the notion that the lack of chemistry was worked in if not intentional. We weren't supposed to look at Mariah and Shades and say "that's a good couple." We were supposed to be disgusted. That's why one of the first scenes of them this season was a waiter calling him her nephew and her sucking his fingers in response while every squirmed.

Like in nearly every scene where the two of them make out there's a shot of someone cringing. It was intentional.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The basis of their relationship is the fact that nothing is more heterosexual than a man penetrating a woman, and as we all know Shades is nothing if not heterosexual.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Caganer posted:

he's also bad at acting away from his cougar imho

i found this to not be true. especially later on he gets some amazing scenes with other actors

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got like 3 eps into IF and no real interest in finishing it, but I did like Luke Cage s1 and I guess Danny is in s2?

Is there a good summary of what I should know from IF s1 and Defenders if I want to just skip to LCs2?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Danny is an idiot.

Dead serious, that's all you need to know. Danny is an idiot and everyone constantly dunks on him in every single show he's on.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Zerilan posted:

Is there a good summary of what I should know from IF s1 and Defenders if I want to just skip to LCs2?

Colleen Wing steals the show (she's great) and Danny is an idiot. And a whiny privileged manbaby. You really can skip Iron Fist and lose nothing.

I'd still say watch Defenders because while The Hand end up sucking you get a lot of good stuff between the 4 heroes, mostly dunking by on Danny, and there's stuff there with Misty that sets up LCS2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's like 2 scenes of Danny and Luke talking that are kinda fun and Kristen Ritter keeps doing canned one liners about Daredevil's costume and that's it. Skip Defenders, every single scene is so loving awkwardly written and dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUDXCqJjMzA

Could you possibly write more unnatural-sounding dialogue.

Also Misty's hair in Defenders is a crime.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dawgstar posted:

Including Sigourney Weaver. I mean... I guess they were happy to have her? Did they think to blind us 'OH IT'S RIPLEY YA'LL!' to distract from the fact she always comes off as bored (as opposed to the jaded ennui of the immortal which I think they were going for)? And they they were like 'eh whatever just bring back the Iron Fist guy.'

She's just pining for Constantinople.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh sorry, I mean.... *glances around the room suspiciously* Istanbul.

God some of the dialog they gave her was so bad.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Lurdiak posted:

There's like 2 scenes of Danny and Luke talking that are kinda fun and Kristen Ritter keeps doing canned one liners about Daredevil's costume and that's it. Skip Defenders, every single scene is so loving awkwardly written and dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUDXCqJjMzA

Could you possibly write more unnatural-sounding dialogue.

Also Misty's hair in Defenders is a crime.

I think it’s cute :ohdear:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Oh sorry, I mean.... *glances around the room suspiciously* Istanbul.

God some of the dialog they gave her was so bad.

I thought it was hilarious she pulled the "um, actually" several times.

Also just finished Luke Cage S2, I like what they're setting up for S3 but it kinda felt like they didn't know what to do with this last episode and spun their wheels for a bit trying to buy time for the next season hook. The scene where Mariah is about to be killed by two inmates, then those inmates are killed by two other inmates, and it looks like they're gonna kill her but no they're gonna let her live, but then she kills that inmate and buys the other two inmates was ridiculous. Even more so when Mariah died anyways.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Serf posted:

i found this to not be true. especially later on he gets some amazing scenes with other actors

Yeah. His confession scene is fantastic. He is just so stoked that he can tell somebody about all the awesome murder he committed/witnessed

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TheHan posted:

Also just finished Luke Cage S2, I like what they're setting up for S3 but it kinda felt like they didn't know what to do with this last episode and spun their wheels for a bit trying to buy time for the next season hook. The scene where Mariah is about to be killed by two inmates, then those inmates are killed by two other inmates, and it looks like they're gonna kill her but no they're gonna let her live, but then she kills that inmate and buys the other two inmates was ridiculous. Even more so when Mariah died anyways.

That scene was so funny I thought they did it on purpose. I thought Mariah was going to call a third set of goons to kill the second two, and then maybe a fourth set of goons to put her back in danger. And then she's just like "and clean up this mess!" Bitch, they're in prison. The gently caress they gonna do with five dead bodies?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mulva posted:

Danny is an idiot.

Dead serious, that's all you need to know. Danny is an idiot and everyone constantly dunks on him in every single show he's on.

An idiot who can't loving fight. Seriously, and it's probably been mentioned, but why not just slap the mask on him and let a stunt double do his fights? The mask is cool looking to start with and having a dude who can actually fake fight would help matters tremendously.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I feel like Danny keeps mentioning that dragon fight to trick people into watching Iron Fist, does he actually fight a dragon? Seeing the FX in all the better Netflix Marvel shows it couldn't have looked any better than absolute dogshit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i finished rewatching iron fist and its kinda wild how much better the meachums are than danny's entire deal. the whole show is like watching a grown-up child throw tantrums and get constantly rewarded for his petulance. its just really loving stupid.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TheHan posted:

I feel like Danny keeps mentioning that dragon fight to trick people into watching Iron Fist, does he actually fight a dragon? Seeing the FX in all the better Netflix Marvel shows it couldn't have looked any better than absolute dogshit.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Why would they put a dragon in a kung fu show where the protagonist's origin hinges on him fighting a dragon?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah you never actually see anything with the dragon but boy does Danny talk about it a lot. I mean a lot.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's one of the worst moments of the show because even in the final showdown there's a moment where you're like "oh poo poo, here comes the flashback where he fights the Dragon!"...and nothing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Got like 3 eps into IF and no real interest in finishing it, but I did like Luke Cage s1 and I guess Danny is in s2?

I think the only thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the reason Luke's out of prison after S1 is because Foggy gets him released in Defenders.

And Danny is like a thousand times better in his Luke Cage S2 episode than he is anywhere else. (Even if the actor cannot do a fight scene to save his life, which kind of seems like a thing you'd look at when casting a martial artist superhero.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously, I would happily watch Danny Rand: Zen Goofball instead of whatever the gently caress was going on in his series and Defenders.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Caganer posted:

I think it’s cute :ohdear:

Different strokes I guess, but I was really glad she went back to her old hairstyle in Luke Cage Season 2.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's funnier if nobody believes Danny about punching a dragon in the heart.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The best Danny ever was, was the first literal 5 minutes of IF, when he was just a shoeless zen hobo guy. Everything was downhill from there.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

PaybackJack posted:

It's one of the worst moments of the show because even in the final showdown there's a moment where you're like "oh poo poo, here comes the flashback where he fights the Dragon!"...and nothing.

Hahaha this is disgraceful.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Caganer posted:

The acting is just... odd.

The show somewhat explains this by the end of the season. I think it's intentional.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

The show somewhat explains this by the end of the season. I think it's intentional.

Hypothesis: every mid-to-major character who stays in town is at least a little drunk on their influence or power, and stumbles.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtrmDhI1LQ

I know you're all excited, but I guess people were pretty impressed by the footage they showed at Comic-Con.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-iron-first-season-two-actually-looks-really-1827712069

Who knows, I sure hope they do a better job this time. They brought in the fight choreographer from Black Panther, which doesn't immediately strike me as amazing news but that movie definitely had better fights than IF S1 and Defenders, so :shrug:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My favorite running gag about Iron Fist is everyone telling him to shut the gently caress up pretty much as soon as he starts talking about fighting a dragon. Especially the way Luke Cage interrupts him every time.

Highlights of Luke Cage Season 2:

Everything with Maria. Holy poo poo she loving nailed everything about that character.

Misty Knight, giver her a show of her own. I'd watch the gently caress out of Law and Order: Super Criminals Edition (sometimes superheroes show up).

Misty's "go get your fawn" line to Maria and Maria's reaction when Misty explained the joke.

Literally every scene with Luke's dad and the running Titanic jokes.

Bushmaster was right.

Literally every scene with Jamaicans in it, and one of the characters saying "You know they was Jamaican, because you can't tell if they talkin' or singin'."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Literally every scene with Jamaicans in it, and one of the characters saying "You know they was Jamaican, because you can't tell if they talkin' or singin'."

I felt bad but I had to turn subtitles on until I could pick up on their dialogue. Not a complaint, though. It was good to see them own their way of talking and Bushmaster was awesome.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hakkesshu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtrmDhI1LQ
Who knows, I sure hope they do a better job this time. They brought in the fight choreographer from Black Panther, which doesn't immediately strike me as amazing news but that movie definitely had better fights than IF S1 and Defenders, so :shrug:

Well, it would be very hard to do worse :v:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I will watch Iron Fist season 2. There's so much a good writing team could do to redeem season 1. That was awful, but honestly there's a ton of ways you could take that dross and use it as the setup for a genuinely great second run. Whether we get it or not... eh, guess we find out in a couple of months.

But at least Defenders Danny was an improvement, and the cameo in Luke Cage was good too. There are signs they are fully aware of how badly they got it wrong in S1 so there's reasons to be cautiously optimistic. I just hope someone tries to sue billionaire Danny Rand for punching them in the street and he decides a mask might be a good idea. Do it. DO IT.

And if it sucks, we'll always alcohol and thread whining to get us through it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

just make the fight scenes better. teach this dude how to throw a punch without looking like a dumbass, please. that's all i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, it would be very hard to do worse :v:

Thus speaketh the man who has never watched Olympus. Or Inhumans, Runaways. Or, like, a lot of television.

Both Iron Fist and Defenders had some crap in them, but there's a lot worse fight choreography out there. And a lot of worse shows.