Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Owlboy was a bad game on top of being extremely unpleasant.

I'm glad iconoclasts is apparently a lot better, though.

Iconoclasts is definitely better but its use of English is still incredibly bizarre and antiquated, which blunts some of the story.

It gets a little better as the game goes on but everyone talks like they're in an English-captioned advertisement from North Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So is Owlboy just the player character getting poo poo on for eight hours and then it ends or something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

So is Owlboy just the player character getting poo poo on for eight hours and then it ends or something

that is literally all it is, yes

the main character is a born mute who's a nervous, twitching wreck from years of abuse by all of his peers and authority figures and his attempt to save the world ends with tremendous casualties and collateral damage, the main character plummeting to his death, and the strong implication that all the events leading to the apocalypse will soon recur and all his actions were for nothing

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Det_no posted:

4 is waaaaay better.

Care to elaborate a it?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bonds0097 posted:

Your last few posts motivated me to finish up Brigmore Witches finally and start Dishonored 2.
It's a great series. Although now that I immediately jumped to playing The Death of The Outsider I'm starting to feel some fatigue. I dig it way more than I expected as people seemed to have a problem with the game - the first open level is huge and gorgeous, the new twists on powers are refreshing and the exploration owns. However I think I still need to take a break because it's too much of the same thing for my tastes.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
So I've completed A Hat in Time and while it's a good game, the ending just doesn't stick. It feels like half a game - a really fun, entertaining half, mind you - that seems to introduce stuff along the way and then goes "Oh, we need to wrap this up...". You should still pick it up because what is there is definitely worth your time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
AHiT was worth it for the Snatcher's boss fight and denouement but i could take or leave the rest

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Det_no posted:

The Vagrant was made by a team of 3 chinese guys that quit their day jobs to go full into game dev and as you might imagine it didn't go great. They had enough of a game for it to be listed on Greenlight, they tried to run a kickstarter for funds to complete it but it failed; They continued to work on the game regardless using savings from their regular jobs and got it out in Early Access while they figured things out.
Ok, but is it worth playing?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the main character is a born mute who's a nervous, twitching wreck from years of abuse by all of his peers and authority figures and his attempt to save the world ends with tremendous casualties and collateral damage, the main character plummeting to his death, and the strong implication that all the events leading to the apocalypse will soon recur and all his actions were for nothing

I wonder how much of that is from the long dev. That totally seems like a worldview of someone trying to drag a game over the finish lines for too many years.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Care to elaborate a it?

It's just a straight upgrade in every way. The biggest difference is probably a completely overhauled combat system that places units in a grid in a map instead of just floating in the void like before. CoE 3 combat was almost like a jrpg with armies taking turns to attack each other with little care for anything beyond unit numbers, CoE 4 on the other hand models unit positioning and armies slowly advancing and getting into range which not only looks better but makes the simulation more robust.

On top of that they also added different planes which are basically layers to the maps you play in. There's the normal plane with humans running around but then theres stuff like the land of the dead, inferno, the void and other such places full of creatures, locations and resources that some armies might be able to recruit, conquer and exploit but really talking about it is almost spoiling the kind of awesome things that can happen in game.

They also did the normal sequel things and added more classes, more spells, units, they improved the map creation, added siege battles, improved randomization and made a number of quality of life fixes. It all combines in a package that's virtually better in every way to the point I didn't like 3 but really enjoy 4 and play some quick games in a single sitting from time to time.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 15, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
How Early is Slay the Spire? I know it's functional and playable, but will it be a completely different game next month due to rebalances and new mechanics or are they just refining what they have?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

How Early is Slay the Spire? I know it's functional and playable, but will it be a completely different game next month due to rebalances and new mechanics or are they just refining what they have?

refinement. its huge fun right now

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

It gets a little better as the game goes on but everyone talks like they're in an English-captioned advertisement from North Korea.

isn't that because the dev was learning english as he wrote it?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Samuringa posted:

Not, get it if you're on the fence

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Det_no posted:

It's just a straight upgrade in every way. The biggest difference is probably a completely overhauled combat system that places units in a grid in a map instead of just floating in the void like before. CoE 3 combat was almost like a jrpg with armies taking turns to attack each other with little care for anything beyond unit numbers, CoE 4 on the other hand models unit positioning and armies slowly advancing and getting into range which not only looks better but makes the simulation more robust.

On top of that they also added different planes which are basically layers to the maps you play in. There's the normal plane with humans running around but then theres stuff like the land of the dead, inferno, the void and other such places full of creatures, locations and resources that some armies might be able to recruit, conquer and exploit but really talking about it is almost spoiling the kind of awesome things that can happen in game.

They also did the normal sequel things and added more classes, more spells, units, they improved the map creation, added siege battles, improved randomization and made a number of quality of life fixes. It all combines in a package that's virtually better in every way to the point I didn't like 3 but really enjoy 4 and play some quick games in a single sitting from time to time.

Thanks. Into the wishlist you go.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

temple posted:

i was thinking of getting wh40k gladius but reviews made it sound simple and feature lite (no diplomacy). so i thought about getting endless legend. i'm a first time player to 4x games. should i stick with gladius or try my hand with endless legend?

Play Warlock 1 for cheap. If you really like Warlock 1, then you'll like Gladius, same combat system.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I originally bounced off Ghost Recon: Wildlands but have lately gotten back into it and I'm having a great time!

However, I saw a video online of a few people and they were in some pretty cool outfits, but they were pay-only. So, I decided that hey, I'm having a pretty good time with this game I got on sale, I think I might throw a couple bucks at it in exchange for some cool stuff. So I go to the store and find this outfit is the equivalent of like $11 (already way too loving much but even still I was on the "might still do it" side of the fence about it), and Uplay only sells currency packs of either $10 or $20. Wow how suspiciously convenient for them.

Eat my loving rear end you greedy goddamn crooks. I was actually of pumped for buying my first neat looking piece of cosmetic bullshit in any game and being given a reason to support something I liked more than just buying it on sale and you totally corporate-greeded all over it. Welp.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 15, 2018

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So I've always wondered, why have they never just straight up adapted Warhammer 40k to a computer game? It seems like kind of a no brainer, what with it already being a game and stuff. Now that there are tons of lovely Warhammer games out, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on these two turn-based strategy games?

Sanctus Reach
https://store.steampowered.com/app/502370/Warhammer_40000_Sanctus_Reach/

Armageddon
https://store.steampowered.com/app/312370/Warhammer_40000_Armageddon/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Samuringa posted:

If they sold the game as a complete thing right now, with no more patches, and nothing else, ever: I would believe it was a full polished game. But it's still in EA so we're still getting some new stuff and refining. :D

Please buy and play Slay the Spire!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Samuringa posted:

Definitely refining. Think Dead Cells. It's got three fully-fledged "decks" and nowadays they just do light retuning with new relics and events being added to the pool. At the current price, it's VERY worth it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fat Samurai posted:

Care to elaborate a it?

CoE4 just has an enormous amount of added stuff which is fun and cool to play around with. It's awesome

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

So I've always wondered, why have they never just straight up adapted Warhammer 40k to a computer game? It seems like kind of a no brainer, what with it already being a game and stuff.

I'm guessing because Games Workshop are afraid that instead of people spending hundreds of pounds on models they'd just play the video game for 30.

There's an Armageddon bundle currently on Fanatical BTW

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/warhammer-40000-armageddon-bundle

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 15, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

Oh Johnny, are you it? The one other person on earth who likes the Aquanox games? (Maybe excluding 2.) We should chat.

Sorry to disappoint, but I've never played 'em. Like all good obscure games on Steam, I bought them or got them in a bundle for dirt cheap and never got around to trying them. :v: I seem to remember them coming up now and again waaaay back in the day as sale hidden gems.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Half life card game in 2027

Card City Nights, but with Valve characters would...actually be kinda cool, I gotta admit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

So I've always wondered, why have they never just straight up adapted Warhammer 40k to a computer game? It seems like kind of a no brainer, what with it already being a game and stuff. Now that there are tons of lovely Warhammer games out, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on these two turn-based strategy games?

Sanctus Reach
https://store.steampowered.com/app/502370/Warhammer_40000_Sanctus_Reach/

Armageddon
https://store.steampowered.com/app/312370/Warhammer_40000_Armageddon/

Ironically enough, Sanctus Reach is as close as you're going to get. It is a 1:~0.8 conversion of the tabletop game into a scenario driven war game. Armageddon is also good but runs on a bunch of more traditional Slitherine/grog wargame rules than pure tabletop adaptation.

Neither is perfect, and Sanctus Reach at least initially had some control issues, but if you really want to get deep, it's pretty good.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is slay the spire always going to have almost no animation?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Oh Johnny, are you it? The one other person on earth who likes the Aquanox games? (Maybe excluding 2.) We should chat.

Aquanox is two games from the early 2000s, one of which was made to sell a graphics card (no I'm not joking, remember when that was a thing?) and one which was a mind-rendingly awful JRPG 6DoF under the post-apocalyptic sea. Except not poo poo like Star Ocean. Technically it's three games, Archimedean Dynasty, a game with an awesome name that I will get around to LPing one of these days when I can finally slaughter the technical giant, is a much earlier version from the System Shock 1 days but ignore it for now.

In the bare vein they are 6DoF-ish, space-sim-ish games where you take a submarine, put your weapon selection on it and go do contained missions with a through line plot, mostly about saving the world for reasons. But in between those missions is a bunch of really neat, almost unique world building about this bizarre, post nuclear holocaust underwater civilization. It has some of the wonkiest VO, some of the neatest dumb world bits (people greet each other with "Light!/." because they live deep enough under water that it's almost unheard of) and really just a bizarre amount of not-game for a thing created to sell a video card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thuoXCyOPVchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBrSMD9CKw

The second game features a different cast, a supremely unlikable straight out of your FF hair nightmares emo tween that has to do some poo poo or another, I honestly forget. But it still has good 6DoF and there's just something about the way the two old games render being underwater that feels cool to this day. They're cheap on the usual on GOG if this intrigues you, and I don't know whether the Steam versions are lovely, non-working GOG ports or not.

E: It also has some of the finest bad techno you'll ever hear.

This post sold me on checking out the first game, so I'm installing and taking it out for a spin tonight, thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

...wait, it's missing animation? Where?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you mean like character arms and legs moving, yes probably. But it has plenty of animations.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This post sold me on checking out the first game, so I'm installing and taking it out for a spin tonight, thanks!

Awesome, let me know what you think.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Awesome, let me know what you think.

I did not miss configuring older games, that's for sure! None of the tweaks for making this thing windowed are working, either. On the other hand, I got the mouse sensitivity tuned just right, and the resolution can go up pretty high.

Actual game-wise, I am getting murdered in the single fight "Dogfight" so far, but that's fine, I'm still getting this thing sorted with borderless gaming. :v:

e: This opening is bananas!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 15, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've been mostly playing FFXII since I bought it, and I just ran into the weirdest minor side activity. It involves finding Bottles of Spirits scattered around a city and then selling them to people for nice chunks of money (especially considering the effort, unlike another side activity that is much more annoying and nets you at most less than a quarter what you get in this one per Bottle).

Now, it's cool and all to make money for little effort, but it's just weird because sometimes the person who wants the booze is like right next to where you found it, begging the question of why didn't they take it themselves? The most absurd one though is the one bottle you find on a table... where someone's sitting... in a tavern.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fargin Icehole posted:

I imagine they'll stay pretty subdued since the actual character is just about the least important thing on screen at all times, and there are so many cards that animating them would be a big job. Most animation updates go to the enemies.

E: As I was typing this, though, I imagined what it'd look like to have simple pose changes for the characters when they attack and I think it'd actually be cool looking, but it's still just a nice-to-have at Best.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 16, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I did not miss configuring older games, that's for sure! None of the tweaks for making this thing windowed are working, either. On the other hand, I got the mouse sensitivity tuned just right, and the resolution can go up pretty high.

Actual game-wise, I am getting murdered in the single fight "Dogfight" so far, but that's fine, I'm still getting this thing sorted with borderless gaming. :v:

e: This opening is bananas!

Yeah it is definitely exactly indicative of the era of gaming it came out of. And that intro is great. Just throws you in the deep end with a bunch of exposition and totally nonsense words.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aquanox/Archimedean Dynasty is pretty neat for its time. Wonder if it holds up well at all?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Aquanox/Archimedean Dynasty is pretty neat for its time. Wonder if it holds up well at all?

They're still pretty good shooters, but the tech doesn't really, no.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oxxidation posted:

owlboy is lighthearted. everyone loves him and praises except his mentor, who comes around in the end. the abuse is blown way out of proportion on SA, for some reason. the light at the end is meant to show he's still alive, not that he's dying. it's implied it's a cycle, so there's always the chance the next cycle goes better. yall need a new emotional outlook

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

Hey gang, I kickstarted the new Bard's Tale game, and got my Beta access key yesterday. Going to stream it for a bit in case anyone wanted to see it (yes they game permission to stream as long as I advise it's Beta).
I'll try to watch the chat to see if there's any questions/suggestions.
I might end up getting stuck on the character creation screen, as I don't know much about the game other than the first 3 were classics.

https://www.twitch.tv/kragger99

Round 2 starting now.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I've been mostly playing FFXII since I bought it, and I just ran into the weirdest minor side activity. It involves finding Bottles of Spirits scattered around a city and then selling them to people for nice chunks of money (especially considering the effort, unlike another side activity that is much more annoying and nets you at most less than a quarter what you get in this one per Bottle).

Now, it's cool and all to make money for little effort, but it's just weird because sometimes the person who wants the booze is like right next to where you found it, begging the question of why didn't they take it themselves? The most absurd one though is the one bottle you find on a table... where someone's sitting... in a tavern.

Maybe they're blind, you gently caress :argh:

But plenty of people pay for ease and convenience, so it could be anything. :haw:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Morter posted:

Maybe they're blind, you gently caress :argh:

But plenty of people pay for ease and convenience, so it could be anything. :haw:

If I remember right that quest happens in the Empire's main city, so to support Dalmascan Independence I am 1000% into slandering the citizens of the worst empire. :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Relin posted:

owlboy is lighthearted. everyone loves him and praises except his mentor, who comes around in the end. the abuse is blown way out of proportion on SA, for some reason. the light at the end is meant to show he's still alive, not that he's dying. it's implied it's a cycle, so there's always the chance the next cycle goes better. yall need a new emotional outlook

Think you've been playing a different game from the rest of us, duder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Right.

Right.

Right.

"I didn't test it personally because I always unlocked all animations before defeating the boss."

Steam is good.