Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Massa's going to clean up

Hey certainly couldn't make a worse janitor than he did a driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Has Venturi won a race yet?

Nope, couple of podiums with noted fail-wizard Nick Heidfeld and DTM seat filler Mortara.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Although Mortara spun out while in the lead seemingly on his way to victory

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Oh good we have David Coulthard in the box this week :suicide:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Probably have him all next season now that C4 are losing the F1 coverage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Speaking of next season, the 2018/19 schedule is out, mostly. Literally everything subject to change as usual. The biggest news is the dumb as gently caress 2-3 month break between the first few races and the rest of the season is gone, couple of month long breaks though presumably to fit the WEC schedule. Punta del Esta is the main casualty which makes me sad since it's been around since the start and is getting kicked for China and the Emirates. Races will now be a standard 45 minutes + 1 lap length.

15th December - Ad Diriyah
12th January - Marrakesh
26th January - TBA (this was Santiago this year)
16th February - Mexico City
10th March - Hong Kong
23rd March - TBA but somewhere in China
13th April - Rome
27th April - Paris
11th May - Monaco (potentially the full track this time)
25th May - Berlin
9th June - Zurich
13th and 14th July - New York

Also confirmed is the new boost system (eternally known as the "Mario Kart boost system" because motorsport journalists call anything like this a Mario Kart-like system) where drivers can go off line through a special zone to access a higher power mode similar to FanBoost. It's basically push-to-pass but with an additional step required to access it.

Also Zurich is this weekend. Track layout looks nice and it has a non-dumb as hell pit lane.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 8, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Watching quali, and there's only one Mickey mouse chicane and lots of good corners. This could be a really pass-y race, especially with vergne so far down the order

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Why did Abt even get the black and orange flag? Yeah, obviously his car had no rear wing, but we've seen that these cars can run without wings pretty well, and there was no danger of loose parts flying off the car since all the wobbly bits had already fallen off in the incident with Piquet.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
DiGrassi is hauling, drat

e: lol at the giant front wing in the track no one bothered with

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Took their sweet time with that yellow

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A major element like that I can understand throwing the meatball for. Even if there's no danger of new bits falling off there's going to be a loss of speed from that missing aero that could potentially make the car dangerously slow in corners or give an unfair advantage on the straights.

Meanwhile JEV is getting hosed in the pits.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Evans, Lotterer, Lopez, Buemi and JEV all getting drive throughs is hilarious.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I’ve said it before, but holy hell the Danish commentator on Eurosport is terrible. Whenever he talks (all the drat time) he has a tendency to trail off and mumble after the first couple of sentences. There’s only one commentator, so they have absolutely no banter or sparring, and I think it makes him talk so much in order to make up for it.

He’s fairly good about commenting the actual driving, but mostly he just rattles off facts and talk about how kilowatts aren’t gasoline. Because of this he constantly talks over the team radio and misses what’s going on. In several races, including this one, he completely missed the fan boost announcement, and spent much of the latter half of the race why it wasn’t on screen (it was). At one point he noticed that a full course yellow was announced, but wondered why. While the camera was showing a wing laying in the middle of the track. Ugh.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Championship decider weekend in New York, first practice underway.

The track has 3 more corners than last year

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Bird screwed up his qualifying lap, is way down the grid already. Vergne was on the provisional pole but has now had his time deleted, apparently exceeding power usage

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

:lol: at that lame-rear end pole trophy

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
There's about to be an Audi pile with 8 wheels

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
so glad prost is getting the boot after this season, what a fraud. only thing keeping him in that team was nepotism

hope mardenborough gets the seat

e: watching the replay of the race, it looks like the virgin cars have too much downforce on. wing angles are way the hell up compared to all the other cars, especially the techeetahs, which are looking pretty trimmed out. don't thing sam really had a chance

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 15, 2018

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Shame it was all settled yesterday, its currently wet in free practice today

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CactusWeasle posted:

Shame it was all settled yesterday, its currently wet in free practice today

Almost no chance of a wet quali, let alone a wet race. Which is good, I didn’t bring a raincoat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1018527718508462080
e:
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1018533591347802112

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 15, 2018

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
During qualifying there was a threat of lightning, its probably just that except phrased with a complete lack of any sense

e: some on twitter thinking the event has been postponed or canceled - could be BS but its now been clarified it was just for weather.

edit 2

https://twitter.com/FIAFormulaE/status/1018535806036824064

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 15, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
>all-weather tires
>can't race in the rain

Checkmate, ICEailures :downs:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Morelike Techcheaters :xd:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Seems pretty clear that Vergne also started moving before the lights went out, but no penalty?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

gret posted:

Seems pretty clear that Vergne also started moving before the lights went out, but no penalty?

If you look closely at the broadcast there's a little FIA logo in the bottom right of the screen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodbye car swaps, you won't be missed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A fitting final twist to season 4, both Techeetah drivers got fined for wearing non-compliant underwear.
https://jalopnik.com/formula-e-men-fined-6-000-for-wearing-wrong-underwear-1827633245

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I don't care if people skip past all the words I wrote but Elle got some amazing photos at the race this weekend, plus some other good ones from the media pool: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/07/the-2018-nyc-eprix-marked-the-end-of-a-chapter-for-formula-e-racing/

I'd post my favorite ones in this thread but they're 1440x1920 and people will complain, and I don't have the time or energy to resize then rehost them somewhere.

Twitter versions are here:

https://twitter.com/drgitlin/status/1019204153044848641
https://twitter.com/drgitlin/status/1019205454336053248

Brooklyn is definitely feeling like a good home for this race. The track doesn't close many roads so there's not really a lot of disruption for the locals, and the people at the track seem to have a good time. Would be helpful if it was closer to a subway stop though.

• Locked thread