Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

This thread needs screenshots.

I've only taken one so far but a broken machine wandered into a group of Shrieking Bandits. It slaughtered most of them then just kind of fell over and stopped working for no apparent reason. I guess it reached its designated kill limit.

The machine is a little hard to see but it's the thing with the giant gently caress off sword in the center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Communist Walrus posted:

In my most recent game of this, I wanted to have a squad of half man, half robot warriors. The base game unfortunately lacks a way to intentionally amputate someone's limbs, and throwing characters into combat is unreliable when it comes to limb loss, so I started sending people into some nearby acid lakes until their appendages burned off and I could plug in cybernetic replacements.

I learned a lot about myself.

There's a mod for that!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1396056759&searchtext=

I was also going for cybernetic samurais... and by the end I had a couple guys decked out in Azuchi armor and full cybernetic limbs with combat stats close to 90... 2v100 was viable

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I started with the small town kit. Made an outpost, got raided HARD, and ran away up north. The Holy Order didn't like that one of our crew was a robot so they enslaved us and took us to a cultish mining camp.

Our bug with a severed leg made it out early, as he had a janky limb and the slavers left him in the dust far away enough to break his shackles, while the rest did hard labor for a while. Unfortunately Bark of the Bug tribe didn't make it very far because another bandit raid took him out. RIP bark.

After starting a bunch of fights we upped our martial arts, dodge, and other stats and eventually sneaked out.

Now we're escapes with no where to go and I kinda don't know what to do. Our money is low, and all that has been explored so far is a hive village, a shek town, the hub which offers us some free beds and safety, and a few more key points.

We did manage to loot some ninja bandits and now we're rocking katanas and shinobi gear. Managed to fight off some starving bandits even.

My questions are: Where can I take the crew now? Why is the tech tree not moving with things queued up? How do I find more recruits? How about making money? The biome with the outpost kinda sucks so I might move it. I feel like I understand about 35% of the game so far after playing it for about 10 hours. Thanks for the recommendation btw it's been very fun.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

The best way at the moment to make money is by mining copper. You can set up a campfire, some storage, and some beds (for healing if some roamers attack you) next to a copper node and make a killing. Copper nodes allow 2 people at a time, so you can use 2 people mining and one to ferry the goods back to the hub (if that's where you're stationed). Once you start making money you can then buy a shack or two in one of the towns and start to research. I'm not sure I understand your comment about the tech tree. Are you actively researching at a research bench using books?

Once you've researched a bunch of stuff and continued to train, you may be able to move out of the hub to your own settlement and start farming and whatnot.

I used a lot of mods so I'm not too sure how vanilla plays now. With mods, I bought a shack in one of the desert cities that was conveniently right next to a copper node, then trained using training dummies until I had a few people in 30s, then ventured out on my own.

As an aside, one thing I really liked about the game is how the AI can take over your settlement. So getting wiped and having your limp unconscious bodies physically removed from your own settlement wasn't the worst thing or the end of the game. It motivates you to go and train up so you can take your settlement back at a later time. That was neat.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I have 2 different types of tables at my base. Do I have to assign someone to do research?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

bob human being posted:

I have 2 different types of tables at my base. Do I have to assign someone to do research?

Yep, shift+right clicking like anything else to give them the research job. Also you need to throw the relevant research material into the table.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Awesome. How do I autoloot bandits to put their stuff in my storefront?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

bob human being posted:

Awesome. How do I autoloot bandits to put their stuff in my storefront?

no idea on that one, I never used the market stalls

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Pewdiepie posted:

This thread needs screenshots.

I'll happily embed some in the first post if you friends have good ones.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I totally forgot about this game until this thread made me realize i already tried something likle 4 years ago. I'm having a blast now.
Gonna do some vanilla and then see how to overload it with mods until it cannot load anymore

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'll happily embed some in the first post if you friends have good ones.

I think I finally found a place where I want to set up my base, so I'll snap a few screen shots when I'm in the process of doing that tonight.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I think my favorite bug in this game is when you set down a person you're carrying and when they get up they shoot straight up into the air like Poochie going back to his home planet.

I too made the mental comparison between this and Mount & Blade. Mechanically the two games have very little in common, but they both have the exact same levels of ambition and jank.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bought this ages ago and never really got around to giving it a fair shake, gonna have to download it again.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
This game ran really badly on my computer which is weird, I have a 1070 which is usually enough for most stuff, maybe I'm just getting some weird driver issues or something

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
The game is still in alpha. I think it just runs badly regardless of how powerful your system is.

Not bad enough for me to stop playing though

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Oh ok was just wondering if it was just me, that's cool

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there a development calendar with a list of future features to come?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

runs fine on my pc, 144fps basically constantly

i have no idea what the gently caress im doing, just mining some copper and selling it right now.

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 12, 2018

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Also runs great on my PC save for the occasional CTD. I've heard that the game has some issues with the latest Nvidia driver, so there's that to consider.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is there a nice human-friendly place to go recruiting? I set up home in Squin, seemed like a decent enough base, but no-one wants to join up because I'm a disgusting flatskin.

Me and Hobbs are getting pretty tired with having to Benny Hill book it from every fight and never getting any combat XP.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is there a nice human-friendly place to go recruiting? I set up home in Squin, seemed like a decent enough base, but no-one wants to join up because I'm a disgusting flatskin.

Me and Hobbs are getting pretty tired with having to Benny Hill book it from every fight and never getting any combat XP.

There is a dude you can recruit for free in Squin, IIRC. Just tell him that he fought bravely or something like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I wandered around, mined some iron and copper for a little money, then spotted a strange tower on the horizon so I ran over and investigated it. A large number of bandits were most unhappy with me :v:

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm doing the same thing. Picked up Hobbs in the Hub, and Reka in Squin. I risked a solo trek SE into the Swamp. Mud Town and Shark are very close to each other and both have some free people. I added 3 to my group this way. Getting them back to Squin took some serious save scumming and cost me an arm, but it was worth it. I recommend sneaking the entire way back. Those blood spiders don't mess around.

Mud Town and Shark were almost constantly under attack. I made some extra cash selling loot off the bodies.

DONT DO IT fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 13, 2018

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Game broke 2k peak players this month. :woop:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Here's a massive pro tip: The mercenary groups you can hire at bars are completely broken. For 2000 bucks you get a squad of super soldiers who will do all your dirty work for you. After the dust king sent me running I came back with a group of tech hunters who wiped the entire dust bandit base. Basically if you find an ancient lab or a high price bounty you can just hire these guys and let them do all the hard work.

Also gently caress the blood spiders.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I want a button to make everyone run at the same speed. Having party members sprinting ahead and then doubling back towards my slower people is silly. :(

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I want a button to make everyone run at the same speed. Having party members sprinting ahead and then doubling back towards my slower people is silly. :(

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
bad war with some dust bandits that decided to set up camp in the middle of a road

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I met a lil dude named Beep. His stats are trash. He's annoying. He's kinda dumb as well. He's also a hive drone, so his combat potential is low a can be.

But you know what? Theres been about 20 different a-holes so far demanding 3 to 6 thousand to join me under the pretense of being the biggest and baddest. Beep is humble, and wanted nothing but to learn of the world. He is a true friend.

Also met Shryke who can hold her own against up to 3 starving bandits, and Crumplejon who is really tough for a free character and is really providing a lot for the team. Shryke has some kind of trauma regarding getting to Mogrel, and I assume Crumplejon is a retired warrior of sorts. One thing about the way these unique NPCS are portrayed is that you can gather why you are meeting them through the few dialog checks you are provided. Adds trivia without a huge backstory and leaves things open to interpret.

I have no idea how Beep ended up in Mongrel.

I'm currently at war with the holy kingdom and conflict has started with the Shek. The troops can fend for themselves but now trade has become an issue. Luckily the friendly bugmen traders stop by with new supplies every so often but they rarely carry much cash. Also despite carrying some darn good armor and having high stats, the adventure team cant manage against spiders worth a dang, mechanic or blood variety. Makes finding ancient books very difficult and I have yet to find an AI core. So far I feel like I get the game at about 70 percent. Money issues and recruitment are still a challenge.

just bob fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 14, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Goddamnit :negative:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
At this point my main character is some skeleton I recruited named Thoke because he's the only one who hasn't died or spent several weeks lying in a bed while I try to find bandages. I've currently got him knocking out and disarming Black Dragon Genin that came and took over my outpost and also killed everything in The Hub. It's a slow process since the fuckers are so high level but it just means he's slowly becoming godlike.

Poor Hobbs and Inu didn't make it a week before dying to some hungry bandits that got the drop on me while grinding. Shame grinding at the ninja center isn't enough to make someone a match for a starving guy with a stick.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 14, 2018

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've had fun with this game but dear lord the grind. The grind!

Grindshi.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Get the training dummies mod and you can train a squad that can hold their own in a few hours... and then over the course of 10s of hours become more godly, instead of hundreds.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Or capture and disarm an enemy with high stats and set up an arena to repeatedly do battle against them.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Funnily enough I was thinking of making a thread about Kenshi at some point as I think it's a fantastic game. Great potential, especially with all the mods too. Thread needs more pictures so here we go:

Made a base in cannibal territory because screw those guys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So how does importing work? Do you get your characters and buildings to day 1?

Also, what's all that stuff in the prospecting window?

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

So how does importing work? Do you get your characters and buildings to day 1?

Also, what's all that stuff in the prospecting window?

As near as I can tell it's just your current assets ( money/buildings/people/inventories ) dropped into a new game. I've only done it the once in order to reset my game state for mods though.

Re Prospecting: http://kenshi.wikia.com/wiki/Prospecting

I visited Mongrel last night. I was under impressed by the supposed difficulty of it though. I only had to fight one group of Fogmen ( which, granted, was 15-18 guys probably ) before being able to find my way to the back entrance. I'm excited to go out the front and pick a fight with a prince tonight though.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

linall posted:

I visited Mongrel last night. I was under impressed by the supposed difficulty of it though. I only had to fight one group of Fogmen ( which, granted, was 15-18 guys probably ) before being able to find my way to the back entrance. I'm excited to go out the front and pick a fight with a prince tonight though.

Front gate of Mongrel trip report: Much more satisfying. Attacks on the gate are 20 - 30 assorted Fogmen and the roaming patrols are up to a minimum of 20 Fogmen. Accidentally assaulted a Deadhive while trying to get into Obedience and faced 50 - 60 Fogmen at least. Then on the way back to Mongrel to lick my wounds the group came across a patrol of at least a hundred Fogmen. Luckily they were booking it over to another Deadhive to respond to an incursion from some of Mongral's guards or I imagine the whole group would've ended up on some Prince or another's table.

My new friend Beep lost an arm in the fight with the Deadhive and I'm now pondering buying him a shiny new robot arm. On one hand, robot arm but on the other I do find the idea of a one armed martial-artist hiver very compelling.

Overall has been a lot of fun. Would Mongrel again.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Picked this up yesterday and definitely didn't spend 3 hours mining copper to buy a house...

I tried to send 3 members of my 4 person squad to another town, and bunch of starving bandits beat them up. Thankfully, they didn't take any of my food. One of them healed my robot, and the robot healed him, and they limped halfway back to town before being disabled again by a single angry pig, at which point my newly minted "scientist" had to leave her station to haul the boys home. They all received a nice bump in Toughness for the trouble.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a way to extend the shadow LOD distance? I pretty much have everything maxed, but it seems as if shadows are rendering right in front of me.