Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the bible has ghosts in it you loving dunce

Ghosts aren't real and the Bible is literally true so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's also fair.

Wolfe's other (non-BotNS) work has a really wide range. There's the Latro historical-fiction series ; I just read his The Sorceror's House a few days ago, which basically his riff on modern "weird-rear end house" fiction, and last book of his I read before that was The Land Across which is just straight fiction with few if any genre elements at all. He's a weird dude; none of his stuff is my favorite but I never regret reading his stuff and it always sticks in my head afterwards. I think most of the folks in this thread would probably like his stuff if they could get past the genre hurdle.

The Sorcerer's House might also be totally mundane, and the whole thing a con; such a reading has a fair amount of support.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Shark Sandwich posted:

Edit: The series also has some of the worst cover art I've ever seen:

Get a load of the hardcover omnibus.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's also fair.

Wolfe's other (non-BotNS) work has a really wide range. There's the Latro historical-fiction series ; I just read his The Sorceror's House a few days ago, which basically his riff on modern "weird-rear end house" fiction, and last book of his I read before that was The Land Across which is just straight fiction with few if any genre elements at all. He's a weird dude; none of his stuff is my favorite but I never regret reading his stuff and it always sticks in my head afterwards. I think most of the folks in this thread would probably like his stuff if they could get past the genre hurdle.

Few genre elements??? It has Dracula in it, hidden treasures in a house, all sorts of spy genre stuff...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Jerkin’ on my fuligin sword

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

thats what i wear when i gently caress

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
My big, fuligin, hand and a half bastard sword if you catch my metaphorical drift

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm a big fan of the redesigns, though they look straight out of a Genndy Tartakovsky adaption.

The cover for Shadow and Claw is also very good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm yes, rejected art from the Dragon Age video game series, that's the poo poo.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I feel like making fun of this dude would be considered kinkshaming

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't that the mystery dude who had a fetish for walking around remote areas in a cloak and gas mask, and he was so spooky at a distance that he sparked urban legends, and disappeared after leaving behind a letter complaining that the publicity forced him to abandon his hobby.

He only wanted to a quiet life.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 14, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's also the Yoshitaka Amano versions.

https://twitter.com/JohnImadNasr/status/987647364050640902

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ccs posted:

I'm a big fan of the redesigns, though they look straight out of a Genndy Tartakovsky adaption.

they look straight out of deviantart is what they look

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chernobyl kinsman posted:

they look straight out of a Steam sale is what they look

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah I just remembered the part where Severian considers loving a giant mermaid monster a day or two after raping Jolenta and loving someone who might be his grandmother that he accidentally resurrected

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shark Sandwich posted:

Oh yeah I just remembered the part where Severian considers loving a giant mermaid monster a day or two after raping Jolenta and loving someone who might be his grandmother that he accidentally resurrected

To be fair he didn't know that was his grandmother at that time. He never thought of loving the undines either though he did think they were pretty hot. I don't think they are mermaid-type things though - they really look like giant women.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

To be fair he didn't know that was his grandmother at that time. He never thought of loving the undines either though he did think they were pretty hot. I don't think they are mermaid-type things though - they really look like giant women.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

avshalemon posted:

lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smart brained fantasy writer puts big titty undines in his books and they don't get hosed? Sad!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

avshalemon posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

like Neurosis how did you manage to get halfway through typing that without being overcome by a terrible sense of existential horror

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Because I am aware of the context and feel no fear of obloquy from goons for endorsing the source material. But if it's enough for you guys to get cognitive closure on Wolfe and feel confident in deriding him in the future, I'm happy to oblige.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Because I am aware of the context and feel no fear of obloquy from goons for endorsing the source material. But if it's enough for you guys to get cognitive closure on Wolfe and feel confident in deriding him in the future, I'm happy to oblige.

I appreciate the hustle in flipping on the grandiloquence switch and to make us forget you were just talking about a dude loving his grandma but its ok because he didn't know it was his grandma

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
In context the guy loving his grandma is actually good

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Not appreciating the kink shaming in this thread

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Severian the Torturer Did Nothing Wrong

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I for one am stunned that genre pulp trash might have weird sex stuff in it, someone needs to take this to the newspaper and get the scoop on this hot story

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I appreciate the hustle in flipping on the grandiloquence switch and to make us forget you were just talking about a dude loving his grandma but its ok because he didn't know it was his grandma

How would that not be okay? Can you say with any certainty you have not hosed your grandma, presuming time travel is real?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Oh I loved Book of the New Sun because it is completely bonkers. I’m pointing out the pulpy genre stuff because to me what makes it so great is that it’s packed with this stuff it treated with the utmost gravity because none of it seems particularly weird to Severian.

Edit: also Fifth Head of Cerberus is unequivocally great sci-fi imo

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 15, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean that's straight up Oedipus. You can dumb down a lot of classic literature to the worst and weirdest elements. Likewise, Slaughterhouse Five has aliens and space zoos with human exhibits and really really bad in-universe science fiction.

This isn't me saying Slaughterhouse Five is exactly the same as, idk, the Star Wars Expanded Universe. This is me saying that the presence of absence of aliens or magic doesn't make something literary or not literary, as agreed upon by everyone in this thread, so it's a bit dumb to use that as a means of going 'ah, obviously this book is trash'. Every genre, including Dickensian Gothic, has authors that just write to the genre conventions without taking the care to think about the craft and whether they're presenting more than spectacle or stale predictability. This is just somewhat worse in the Fantasy and Science Fiction genres, since the spectacle is more at the forefront so it's easier to only provide that. But bad and derivative writing has been a thing for as long as writing has been a thing.

I'm not saying you have to find Gene Wolfe literary, I've never read any of his stuff. But there should be some appreciation for the crafting of something that isn't just a flash in the pan of spectacle, even if you don't like it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hah, so you think Kurt Vonnegut is a great author.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How do you feel about Vladimir Nabokov's Ada or Ardor

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Or, for that matter, Eco's Baudolino?

(Eco may not be fair since BotL is literally the villain in Name of the Rose come to life.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thranguy posted:

Or, for that matter, Eco's Baudolino?

(Eco may not be fair since BotL is literally the villain in Name of the Rose come to life.)

You mean the book I keep recommending to people in several threads?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I liked Name of the Rose a lot, but I've never been able to make it through Baudolino, it just loses me.

Maybe one day I'll finish it and love it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I mean that's straight up Oedipus. You can dumb down a lot of classic literature to the worst and weirdest elements. Likewise, Slaughterhouse Five has aliens and space zoos with human exhibits and really really bad in-universe science fiction.

This isn't me saying Slaughterhouse Five is exactly the same as, idk, the Star Wars Expanded Universe. This is me saying that the presence of absence of aliens or magic doesn't make something literary or not literary, as agreed upon by everyone in this thread, so it's a bit dumb to use that as a means of going 'ah, obviously this book is trash'. Every genre, including Dickensian Gothic, has authors that just write to the genre conventions without taking the care to think about the craft and whether they're presenting more than spectacle or stale predictability. This is just somewhat worse in the Fantasy and Science Fiction genres, since the spectacle is more at the forefront so it's easier to only provide that. But bad and derivative writing has been a thing for as long as writing has been a thing.

I'm not saying you have to find Gene Wolfe literary, I've never read any of his stuff. But there should be some appreciation for the crafting of something that isn't just a flash in the pan of spectacle, even if you don't like it.

Not even being snide but I have no idea what you are trying to say here

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not even being snide but I have no idea what you are trying to say here

It's mean to mock genre fiction

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He's saying you should judge works by their prose, not their content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The prose is the content