Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hagie posted:

New to the thread, and high potential Wrangler owner in the near future. I am about a full year out on making the final decision on this (just starting down payment savings after refinancing the house) but I am struggling hard with figuring out the trim specs on a 2018 Sport and Sport S Wrangler.

My initial assumption was that the Sport was bone stock, with no window tint, roll up windows, black wheels and key-unlock doors.

In an email conversation with a dealership that won’t leave me alone thanks to TruCar, I decided to take advantage of their persistence...and I am told that it is not true. I’ve heard something of a “24B Sport” vendor code that half-way makes a Sport into a Sport S with some of the electrical creature comfort features.

I’ve perused some other forums and that poo poo is mostly full is sycophants and repetitive rehashing of the same poo poo. Anyone have a clue? I have very few options I am “requiring” so Sahara and Rubicon’s are full of poo poo I don’t need.

My '12 Sport (2-door) came with dark tinted windows in the hard top, and light tint on the doors. Crank windows and manual locks, but iirc there was an option package that included them (which I did not want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I’m looking for an Unlimited, likely a soft top, power windows & doors, keyless entry would be tits and would prefer tinted windows. I’m a big dude so I’m not looking forward to a window roller in my leg/knee. That’s especially the case if I get a manual...

I find it interesting that even the most basic model has a push start while offering roll ups and keyed door unlocks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Power windows are a pain though if you want to take doors on and off--I'm guessing there's some kind of connector you have to disconnect and reconnect.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
There is no point to locks on a soft top and like mod said, whats the point if you are taking the doors off like you should.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

mod sassinator posted:

Power windows are a pain though if you want to take doors on and off--I'm guessing there's some kind of connector you have to disconnect and reconnect.

Uh, no they’re not. It’s a plug that doubles as the door strap. No more of a pain than taking the doors off a TJ.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

mod sassinator posted:

Eh, it's a single connector and takes about 1.5 seconds to undo at most.

Anyway, we bought new in 2016 and didn't pay attention to the named trim levels. We ended up with a Sport S with power windows, the nicer sound system and bigger screen, the 3.73 differentials, and the 17" wheels.

My inlaws just bought an '18 JKU with the 16 inchers and it looks weird.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You have the same plug for manual windows anyway.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Fuel sending unit started leaking on the MJ, through the send line bung on the faceplate. Any way to fix this? I have a new pump/sender on the way, but I'd like to salvage the old one as a spare if possible.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Braincloud posted:

Uh, no they’re not. It’s a plug that doubles as the door strap. No more of a pain than taking the doors off a TJ.

Open door and lift up :confused:

Godholio posted:

You have the same plug for manual windows anyway.

No you don't. Only thing on the body touching my doors are the hinges.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

JEEVES420 posted:

Only thing on the body touching my doors are the hinges.

What about the limiting strap?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

What about the limiting strap?

Ain’t no limits here, scrub. :smug:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Fuel sending unit started leaking on the MJ, through the send line bung on the faceplate. Any way to fix this? I have a new pump/sender on the way, but I'd like to salvage the old one as a spare if possible.

I can't help you there (JBweld?), but let me know if the new assembly improves your fuel gauge accuracy at all - I've gotten used to just tracking the milage on mine, but I should probably stop being cheap and just replace the whole thing because it's getting worse haha.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I mean, the current one reads backwards so I'm gonna go ahead and assume the new one's gonna work better.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Karma Comedian posted:

Ain’t no limits here, scrub. :smug:

Said the wind as it ripped mine off.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

JEEVES420 posted:

Said the wind as it ripped mine off.

Well yeah, if you’re missing the limiting straps then a JK has one minor extra step. My TJ did not break its straps so it was a wash when I upgraded to a JK. Also, I’m lazy and forget what it’s like to not have power windows like some proletariat :smuggo:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Zip up windows are where it's at :smug:

Until you have to replace them every two years :mad:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

Hate to break it to you but if it is a brand new one, it won't fit. Zero companies make new MJ senders. At all. Many many companies go :hurr: XJs and MJs are mostly the same parts right? And list their XJ sender for MJs as well.

If it's a junkyard unit, it'll fit. BTW backwards reading is because the gauge cluster is from a 91 or later and the sender is from a 90 or earlier or vise versa. My 91 has that issue right now.

The only real way to fix your sender is to pull the plastic components off the frame and braze the cracked spot back up. Mine is doing that too, I've been too lazy to do it for... Six years now.

Oh, and 2.5s come with the shittastic AX5 when manual equipped. Those are such weak trannies they explode third gear and sometimes second gear with the stock 2.5 in front of them. I know I'm not gonna convince you not to buy one if the price is right and another comes up for sale but you should know what pain you're signing up for.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Oh, and 2.5s come with the shittastic AX5 when manual equipped. Those are such weak trannies they explode third gear and sometimes second gear with the stock 2.5 in front of them. I know I'm not gonna convince you not to buy one if the price is right and another comes up for sale but you should know what pain you're signing up for.

So even if I'm driving on totally flat roads (again, FL) on stock tire sizes under 50mph it could be a problem? Because honestly most of the Jeeps for sale in this area are beach queens that never go off road, very little of them actually see any kind of heavy duty use. I hear you tho, If I get one I will definitely service it asap, and if it takes a poo poo oh well I'll get another one or upgrade or whatever.

What trans does the 4.0 have? I think it's kinda bizarre they have different manuals. Are the slush boxes different too?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

JEEVES420 posted:

No you don't. Only thing on the body touching my doors are the hinges.

JKs have the plug. I'm assuming JLs do too.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Serious question, can a 2.5 even do 50mph on the freeway?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

my cj7 with 2.5 was doing 55 on the way home ok

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just found a '97 with low miles (87k) 4cyl automatic :v:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/1997-jeep-wangler-low-miles/6638683920.html

Not bad if I can talk the seller down a bit. I'd have to drive it first and see how much of a dog it is with the slushbox.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So even if I'm driving on totally flat roads (again, FL) on stock tire sizes under 50mph it could be a problem? Because honestly most of the Jeeps for sale in this area are beach queens that never go off road, very little of them actually see any kind of heavy duty use. I hear you tho, If I get one I will definitely service it asap, and if it takes a poo poo oh well I'll get another one or upgrade or whatever.

What trans does the 4.0 have? I think it's kinda bizarre they have different manuals. Are the slush boxes different too?

4.0s come with an AX15 (up to '99), or an NV 3550 (2000-2004 and the company is out of business, internal parts are already going up in price), or an NSG370 (2005 and 2006 only, german-made six-speed). I don't know jack about slushboxes, other than the fact that they won't disgrace any of my vehicles as long as I can get a manual.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can you swap in an AX15 onto a 2.5?

[e] probably better off just doing the whole drivetrain if you're gonna do that I suppose.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Eightbit covered most of this already.

I've seen a 2.5 MJ do 97mph. It took a long long time to achieve that, but it did it. Wranglers are more blocky though, ymmv.

At one point I had a 2wd AX4, a 4wd AX5, and another 4wd AX5 on my bench. Both AX5s were blown to gently caress. Like, less teeth on some gears than the entire front row of a Garth Brooks concert, blown. I am not sure but I might have pics around still.

One AX5 was so shredded it actually had a chunk broken off of the mainshaft where the second and third gears ride on it. The other just had second and third mangled.

I used them as well as random parts from the 2wd AX4 (same trans just 2wd and no fifth gear plus other minor differences) to build one decent spare AX5 for my friends.

They are truly a poo poo transmission. AX4 came from the stock MJ that did 97, one AX5 came from a friend of a friend's YJ on 33s that never saw anything but pavement, other AX5 came from a stock MJ too.

You can upgrade to an AX15 using the bellhousing from a 96-01 4cyl Dodge Dakota but you also have to swap the input gear on your tcase, may need new driveshafts, and may need a custom trans mount or crossmember as well and possibly a 4wd linkage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok fair enough, I really don't want to deal with transmission issues. What about the automatics, is it the same unit for a 2.5 and 4.0?

I've owned 2 XJ's (a '97 an '99), both 4.0s, one automatic and never had any issues.....I'm assuming Wranglers use the same auto trans?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They don't. Wranglers use the 32/42/44 re/rh trannies IIRC. they definitely don't use the aw4 from the XJ, sadly.

Manual:
4.0:
Ba10/5 on 89.0 and earlier YJ, XJ, MJ
ax15 on 89.5-99 YJ, XJ, MJ, ZJ, TJ
nv3550 on 00-up XJ, TJ
2.5:
Ax4 or ax5 on all

Auto:
4.0:
AW4 on XJ and MJ, also on 93.0 ZJ
Random Chrysler autos on YJ, ZJ, TJ, WJ. I know the 42re and 42rle were used some years and models, not sure about others
2.5:
AW4 on 87-90 XJ and MJ only. extremely rare. I have only heard of six of these in a decade of Jeep spergin'.
Random Chrysler autos on YJ, TJ, ZJ.

44re/rh and 46re were used on 8cyl ZJ. 545rfe and 45rfe on the 8cyl WJ.

the 4, 6, and 8 don't share bellhousing patterns so swapping can be anything from easy to impossible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Mine topped out at 60 if there was no wind, no joke.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Transmission info

Thanks man, I assumed the 4.0 and 2.5 had the same manuals, and had no clue about the different slushboxes either geez. You learn something new every day :)

I guess I'm gonna hold out for a 4.0, unless a 2.5 automatic impresses me somehow but I kinda doubt it.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Godholio posted:

Mine topped out at 60 if there was no wind, no joke.

I had a 96 2.5l and it would break 65 with the AC off. Definitely didn’t get 20.7 mpg though haha more like 12-15.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just needs a frame! Runs great!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Just needs a frame! Runs great!

That's pretty much every TJ I went to look at $4500 or less. The TJs all looked good outside and were rotted out underneath. One guy told me "it has a little rust on the frame" which translated to "there is a 12-inch-long section under the passenger door that is missing all but the top inch of the frame".

The YJs, while older, all had solid frames and bodies in various stages of rot. I picked a little body work (which I enjoy) over frame work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

YJs do eventually rot out around the transaction crossmember attachment weld nuts and rear shackles. TJs rot... Bad.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This has been a long time coming - I need to figure out what to do about my A/C compressor. The clutch isn't engaging consistently. If I turn on the A/C, it *might* engage for a few seconds, but then it clicks off again. I've checked the R134a pressure and it's at normal levels. In fact, it hasn't budged for years, since I haven't had working A/C for years! :v:

Anything I can try before I think about taking it to a shop? (it's a 99 XJ)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pressure doesn't tell you how much is in the system until there is drat near nothing left in there. Why? Vapor pressure of a liquid at a certain temperature is constant no matter how much liquid is present.

However, those symptoms sound like one of two things.

1 - you could be low on r134a. Surprise! (Not.) Try jumping the compressor clutch directly from the battery, if it cheerfully kicks in and stays in, it's likely this. Either read motronics AC thread and recharge it yourself, or pay like 150 for a recharge.
2 - the clutch plate may be worn out of spec. If it didn't pass test 1, this is likely the answer, it's a common issue on high mileage Sanden sd709s like the one in XJs. Remove the small nut in the middle of the clutch, take out the tiny shim washer under it, put the nut back on and tighten it. DO NOT do this without performing the test above, you may reduce the clutch airgap too much if it was fine before and you didn't test it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kastein posted:

Pressure doesn't tell you how much is in the system until there is drat near nothing left in there. Why? Vapor pressure of a liquid at a certain temperature is constant no matter how much liquid is present.

However, those symptoms sound like one of two things.

1 - you could be low on r134a. Surprise! (Not.) Try jumping the compressor clutch directly from the battery, if it cheerfully kicks in and stays in, it's likely this. Either read motronics AC thread and recharge it yourself, or pay like 150 for a recharge.
2 - the clutch plate may be worn out of spec. If it didn't pass test 1, this is likely the answer, it's a common issue on high mileage Sanden sd709s like the one in XJs. Remove the small nut in the middle of the clutch, take out the tiny shim washer under it, put the nut back on and tighten it. DO NOT do this without performing the test above, you may reduce the clutch airgap too much if it was fine before and you didn't test it.

Thanks! I found the thread. I suppose I'll look into buying or renting a manifold gauge set, then.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

DizzyBum posted:

Thanks! I found the thread. I suppose I'll look into buying or renting a manifold gauge set, then.

You can also put any cheap gauge on the low pressure side and see if it drops a ton when the compressor kicks on. If it does, you need more refrigerant.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

You can also put any cheap gauge on the low pressure side and see if it drops a ton when the compressor kicks on. If it does, you need more refrigerant.

Huh? Suction side of a properly charged system should always be considerably lower than the static pressure of a system that hasn't been running in a while.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Huh? Suction side of a properly charged system should always be considerably lower than the static pressure of a system that hasn't been running in a while.

He likely ment one of those single gauge ones you get on the more expensive cans of refrigerant which only tell you low side pressures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It won't drop nearly as much as on a nearly empty system. The non-phone-posting instructions would be to watch the needle drop as the compressor kicks on and if the compressor shuts back off and then the pressure climbs until the compressor engages again, then congratulations on discovering your lack of refrigerant. Bonus points if your gauge is at all accurate and you bother to look up the low pressure cut off switch activation pressure so you can be 100% sure that low refrigerant is the problem instead of 95% sure.