Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is Brian and Vinny the top heap of good/funny wrestling history podcasts? I'm not really interested in anything reviewing current shows but stuff about the history of wrestling from the 80s on sounds great. I listened to an entire 30 minute video of Raymond telling the story of his brother cold cocking Dynamite Kid with a roll of quarters and more stories like that sound great. I get the feeling most of those shoot interviews are video only though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Brian and Vinny the top heap of good/funny wrestling history podcasts? I'm not really interested in anything reviewing current shows but stuff about the history of wrestling from the 80s on sounds great. I listened to an entire 30 minute video of Raymond telling the story of his brother cold cocking Dynamite Kid with a roll of quarters and more stories like that sound great. I get the feeling most of those shoot interviews are video only though.

Lapsed Fan is good up until you get tired of Vince impersonations

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Alan BStard posted:

Every month or so I'll listen to the super cut of that and it still makes me laugh like a madman every single time.

I can't help but laugh at "WHAT IS THIS?"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

Lapsed Fan is good up until you get tired of Vince impersonations

So 5 minutes?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

So 5 minutes?
which is 1% of an episode

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I forgive you

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Vince impressions do suck now yes, as does Lapsed Dusty but those aside, The Lapsed Fan is incredible.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Getting through all one million hours of Lapsed Fan is worth it for the Virgil story alone

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I decided to check out Lapsed Fan based on your conversation and I thought we were exaggerating for comedic effect but no they have an episode on the original JCP Clash of the Champions that is six hours, twelve minutes, and change. I thought like AE Podcast and stuff were detailed.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, if you like long podcasts, you'll love Lapsed Fan

They talk about ECW's 1999 Heatwave PPV for 2 podcast episodes totaling just about 6.5 hours

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's nothing as in depth as the lapsed treatment. The Benoit Series is 12 hours and fantastic.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I learned so much from that series that nobody else ever talked about.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Like j-rew said he basically does nothing but work out, read and write about/attend wrestling and mma shows so probably not imo

Lmao

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There was a certain podcast that liked talking about WrestleMania IV. I forgot the name though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jubs posted:

There was a certain podcast that liked talking about WrestleMania IV. I forgot the name though.

The Lapsed Fan Podcast.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
man i hope bryan calls his hosting provider before posting tonight's show

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
So it was a banger? Nice.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

man i hope bryan calls his hosting provider before posting tonight's show

its tremendous

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave actually liked a YTR match :unsmith:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-RcjvRFmic

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
"Due to time constraints, this week’s edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter will be posted tomorrow, July 19. It will be a double issue."
https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wrestling/note-about-weeks-wrestling-observer-newsletter-261991

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/knida89/status/1020136179151224832

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yes but not in any% glitchless matches.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Wow, I thought this was referring to Naito.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Manami Toyota had 2 in one day.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer's piece on Hogan in the new Observer is clinical and well worth reading.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Glad to see the Rollins/Ziggler match get more votes for worst match than best match in the new Observer, that match fuckin sucked.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

Meltzer's piece on Hogan in the new Observer is clinical and well worth reading.

When Dave has something significant to write about he tends to deliver: see any obit of any major star also.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Bryan deciding he had to rewrite death of wcw after he finds out about one of the ridiculous groups has the great muta was hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

Yeah it's really good, definitely worth a read. This bit in particular really stood out for me:

Meltzer posted:

wrestling promoters are about business and nothing more and, whether right or wrong, expecting them to have morals will leave you disappointed most of the time

Poor Dave :smith:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

Also Bryan deciding he had to rewrite death of wcw after he finds out about one of the ridiculous groups has the great muta was hilarious.

Vinny is all kind of messed up on the timeline

Raven, Vampiro, and ICP join together in July 1999. Raven leaves the company in August. Vampiro and ICP kind of team for a while, but then eventually Vampiro starts teaming with the Misfits (the band, not the soon to be WCW faction), then Sting, then he kills Sting, then ICP, then he starts harrassing the Kiss Demon and makes him team with him, then Muta joins in July 2000, then ICP again, then the Kiss Demon turns face and joins with Sting

its seriously amazing that for a year Vampiro's gimmick was "Team with guys who wear facepaint"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

exploded mummy posted:

Vampiro starts teaming with the Misfits (the band, not the soon to be WCW faction)

I love WCW so much

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Can we really blame Vinny for only half remembering this besides the idea of Muta replacing Raven is so out there it's the better story. It's like if one week the New Day replaced Big E with Shibata

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'm waiting for when BATTLE DOME invades WCW, the forgotten invasion.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

I love the way he lays it out later on:

quote:

Wrestling is always going to give you moral issues, unless you are immoral, in which case it won’t.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

its seriously amazing that for a year Vampiro's gimmick was "Team with guys who wear facepaint"
BROTHERS IN PAINT

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
(REALLY PUT THE BUS OVER HUGE)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dsriggs posted:

(REALLY PUT THE BUS OVER HUGE)

"I'm gonna get under the bus and you're gonna make the count :geno:"

Also wanna hear Vince McMahon's Frank Costanza-esque,"DAVE, IT'S VINCE MCMAHON, LANCE STORM'S DEAD, DONALD TRUMP IS HERE GOODBYE!" phonecall to Meltzer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i feel like a translator is needed for jimmy havoc on wol today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I had zero time to edit this week and you can tell from the Hulkamatt of the Week discussion revealing when we recorded!

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1020483353965973504