Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I looked through his work a little, and I think this is the one I can most imagine being in Doctor Who:

https://twitter.com/segunakinola/status/933626436765863936

To say he's less bombastic and more ephemeral in general than Murray Gold is an understatement. He's definitely a change, which I think is good (we don't want to just get Murray Gold 2.0, it only invites comparisons). He seems like a decent guy, and I hope that his composing is good and that he enjoys working on the show.

e: Okay, also, this is pretty good:

https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola/kingsyard

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This composer, along with the leaked material over the last 24 hours, has me very optimistic for series 11. The only thing that could bring this down is Chibnall himself as a writer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HD DAD posted:

This composer, along with the leaked material over the last 24 hours, has me very optimistic for series 11. The only thing that could bring this down is Chibnall himself as a writer.

I feel like all of it makes the season a mystery, but engenders good will. A cool, upcoming composer with some good pieces who doesn't have a major network show under his belt yet, a talented woman who has done both comedy and drama and is being allowed to use her natural accent, a diverse crew of three companions, without a ton of knowledge as to when or where they're from, and the writer of both Broadchurch and Torchwood.

Seems like we got us a Doctor Who season on our hands!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh dang, that is a really nice track.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I could easily have seen this work as a track during the whimsical moments of the Eleventh Doctor's era: https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola/dna

I'm sure Akinola will do just fine.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I dig his style, and this makes me more intrigued and excited for the new series.

But my big hope is that we get more wobbly-weird synth passages in the new score - something that is probably by biggest sense memory of Old Who and we got maybe, three instances in all of Murray Gold's output. The best modern example I can think of is Dr Ford's Theme from Westworld. The transition from 2:00 is what I'm talking about :

(Big spoilers for Westworld S1 in the comments, be warned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9H4uiaFsA

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Every track posted of him in here sounds fantastic. Fun, and different. This seems like a great choice.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The BBC isn't happy about the leaks: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/bbc-subpoenas-tapatalk-to-identify-series-11-leaker-87657.htm

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Scenes plural?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The sonic screwdriver leaks were clearly screenshots of another scene. I dunno if anything else ever came out in full length, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Teaser trailer, emphasis on the tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNy2kz-F0KQ

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hype.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I guess the Thirteenth Doctor has super-speed powers, judging from how that teaser trailer is shot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I guess the Thirteenth Doctor has super-speed powers, judging from how that teaser trailer is shot.

I just assumed she was slowing down/stopping time to gently caress with her companions.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pizza Powers

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AndyElusive posted:

Pizza Powers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgHnwRUnT_4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm hype.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm still not sure what kind of Doctor Thirteen is or what her companions will be like, but I know that I am excited to find out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm still not sure what kind of Doctor Thirteen is .

A brilliant one.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
Well that sure was a teaser trailer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/lsirikul/status/1020023711703810048

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A new trailer that actually shows some footage from the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEc-OQ_oqDk

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1020029458479058944

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A lot of energy and childish wonder sounds good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think...

I think I'm already in love with the 13th Doctor.

:swoon:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chibs said there will be no Daleks in this series, as he wants to focus on new monsters

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Chibs said there will be no Daleks in this series, as he wants to focus on new monsters

I like this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also, no 2 parters

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Also, no 2 parters

I

Mm

Mmmm

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Neither of these things concerns me. They can always come back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

THESE ARE THE SMILING DEVILS

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So with Chibs saying No Daleks

Does that mean he's lying, or that the things people thought were Daleks in the leaked footage weren't?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Neither of these things concerns me. They can always come back.

Yeah, we could use a break from most of the classic Who villains and I'm never worried about a break from two-parters. If anything, this hopefully means they aren't doing that thing that was rumored in which the over-arching plot is the Doctor being in three different eras.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, we could use a break from most of the classic Who villains and I'm never worried about a break from two-parters. If anything, this hopefully means they aren't doing that thing that was rumored in which the over-arching plot is the Doctor being in three different eras.

I'm just

Thinking of the Power of Three

that really needed to be a two parter...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So there's a lot of 50s/60s americana shots in there. Montgomery motor pool, the motel (making me wonder if they're going full MLK too).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

So there's a lot of 50s/60s americana shots in there. Montgomery motor pool, the motel (making me wonder if they're going full MLK too).

This is honestly the episode I’m dreading most because there’s such a low chance of it being handled in a respectful manner. If it’s anything more involved than The Doctor & Co. watching and observing moments in history, then it’s going to be a shitshow.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

With no 2 parters, I'm sure they'll do the thing where the ep will end on a cliffhanger, but the following story will have a different plot

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Burkion posted:

I'm just

Thinking of the Power of Three

that really needed to be a two parter...

It needed to be a no-parter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is honestly the episode I’m dreading most because there’s such a low chance of it being handled in a respectful manner. If it’s anything more involved than The Doctor & Co. watching and observing moments in history, then it’s going to be a shitshow.

Yeah, it's definitely the biggest source of Chibnall apprehension. The little we've seen gives me confidence in his casting decisions and in his ability to handle the whimsical aspects, but there is extremely little chance the Rosa Parks thing goes well and if it's bad, it's probably going to be really hard-to-watch bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

No 2 parters, but with the episodes being an hour long now, that might be enough?