Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a mutie?
Yes
Yes, but it's a secret.
View Results

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
i just translate the time it would take to get someone like Capt or Yondu or whatever to 7 star, max skills and w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I liken it to f2p games that offer cosmetics for ridiculous sums of money. These are theoretically better value than dress-up, but suffers from being pay2win.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Away all Goats posted:

I still can't believe the absolutely bonkers value system this game/the devs have. There's currently an offer of $40 for 45 Yondu Shards and 2000 Gold Orb fragments.

FOURTY DOLLARS. That's a night out to the movies with concessions. Or four burritos. Or a sorta recent video game release. An actual, whole, start-to-finish video game that dozens of people spent developing.

If I spent $40 on one character I'd expect it to be a full 7 star, lvl 60+ and have all his abilities maxed, and also a scheduled surgery appointment to fix my brokebrain.

Consider the monthly crystal pack in FF. It's advertised as 2450 crystals for 4.99 which sounds great and even if you read it's trickled out thats still good, but you also get 300? immediately when you buy it. The number on your screen goes up an appreciable amount and you are the winner.

These games rely on the small burst of pleasure from seeing an on screen number increase an appreciable amount and I don't think their system handles really is doing that well.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010
Just got into this and started bumbling around. Is there a Goon Alliance to join?

Jesus though, those offers are dumb. $60 for Night Nurse? I used to spend real money on Avengers Alliance, since there was stuff I could buy cheap. But the cheapest offer I've seen is $15 for a Ravager guy.

Cocomonk3 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 15, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cocomonk3 posted:

Just got into this and started bumbling around. Is there a Good Alliance to join?

Jesus though, those offers are dumb. $60 for Night Nurse? I used to spend real money on Avengers Alliance, since there was stuff I could buy cheap. But the cheapest offer I've seen is $15 for a Ravager guy.

Discord for alliances : https://discordapp.com/invite/tneWgZy

New players used to be able to get either Captain America or Black Widow for $10, if they still have those, they are by far the best value for your money

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Cocomonk3 posted:

Just got into this and started bumbling around. Is there a Goon Alliance to join?

Apply to Marble Hebrons. See ya there!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

John Dyne posted:

I can't loving comprehend spending 50 - 100 bucks on a game for a SINGLE character, like holy poo poo. When Smite was in beta, I bought their God pack which was I think 30 - 40 bucks and gave you every single character and also every character that would ever be released, and THAT was a good rear end deal.

But 50 bucks for a single character? Jesus.

Oh, you sweet summer child....

What if I have to tell you that 50-100 bucks does not even get you a fully upgraded and geared character, but just a few shards. Characters go from 1-7 stars and each rank is a significant increase in power, especially the last rank.

Their last offer was 45 Yondu shards and a gold orb (maybe 100K max, which is less than 1 level at level 60) for €32.99, that's $38.55.

45 shards...but to get a 7 star character you need 810 (!!!) shards.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cocomonk3 posted:

I remember the offers in Avengers Alliance. But they gave you amazingly overpowered gear and a ton of in game currency for that price. (Remember the Small Haddon Collider?)

Then later games decided to change the script. Avengers Academy was particularly bad in that it started doing events that COULD be done F2P. But if you bought a generator or character you were garunteed all the event rewards.

And that was a good deal when you compared time to money. But it rapidly spiralled into "you could only do the event if you spent money. And you had to spend tons of money to get anything."
Eventually I had to drop that game.

Compared to all that, Strike Forces decision to do awful deals just makes it easy to say no to everything.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I feel like someone has to be buying these offers. I know that I would definitely spend money if the offers matched their price. I would say they don't like money but MSF is one of the top 50 grossing apps in the Play store, not far behind Summoners War or Contest of Champions.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I bought the Black Widow offer they had during the iron man event because I was already close to unlocking her and I figured gently caress it, get it over with.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think the craziest thing about the offers in this game is that you can play this game without spending anything (or, very little in my case) and be competitive with players who have spent hundreds of dollars. It takes a long fuckin' time but as long as you start out with a clear goal of ONE main team to focus on you'll get there. It makes it sting a little less when they decide one day to nerf something you've worked so hard to get. At least it's just shittons of time wasted, not time and money :downs:

That said, I would gobble up a decently priced BW bundle, as if that would ever happen. They clearly seem to be paying attention to what people want and pricing accordingly. The fact that they released a ridiculously overpriced NN bundle knowing full well she's basically required for raids is pretty hosed up IMO. People must be buying these despite the vocal outrage about the prices because they keep doubling down.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Question IRL posted:

I remember the offers in Avengers Alliance. But they gave you amazingly overpowered gear and a ton of in game currency for that price. (Remember the Small Haddon Collider?)

Then later games decided to change the script. Avengers Academy was particularly bad in that it started doing events that COULD be done F2P. But if you bought a generator or character you were garunteed all the event rewards.

And that was a good deal when you compared time to money. But it rapidly spiralled into "you could only do the event if you spent money. And you had to spend tons of money to get anything."
Eventually I had to drop that game.

Compared to all that, Strike Forces decision to do awful deals just makes it easy to say no to everything.

Yea, AA wasn't too bad. I'd buy the event character every time and was able to get almost everything from that event, normally just missing out on a skin or something, but i'd get all the important stuff. I only bought the extra stuff when it was a character I had to have like the Squirrel Girl or Captain Marvel events. Then they reworked the game and it became basically impossible even with the event character to get anywhere without blowing money on improving your characters in the combat. It was not good. It didn't help that they would put in enemies that could wreck your entire team in one hit, even if their power was significantly lower.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

explosivo posted:

I think the craziest thing about the offers in this game is that you can play this game without spending anything (or, very little in my case) and be competitive with players who have spent hundreds of dollars. It takes a long fuckin' time but as long as you start out with a clear goal of ONE main team to focus on you'll get there. It makes it sting a little less when they decide one day to nerf something you've worked so hard to get. At least it's just shittons of time wasted, not time and money :downs:

That said, I would gobble up a decently priced BW bundle, as if that would ever happen. They clearly seem to be paying attention to what people want and pricing accordingly. The fact that they released a ridiculously overpriced NN bundle knowing full well she's basically required for raids is pretty hosed up IMO. People must be buying these despite the vocal outrage about the prices because they keep doubling down.

Yeah I do appreicate that of the 'top tier' characters, the only ones you can't really grind for is Black Widow and Deadpool. Deadpool being an event character that most people were able to unlock. Everyone else is realistically obtainable in a couple months of playing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

J3ng4 posted:

I feel like someone has to be buying these offers. I know that I would definitely spend money if the offers matched their price. I would say they don't like money but MSF is one of the top 50 grossing apps in the Play store, not far behind Summoners War or Contest of Champions.

I'm a whale. I spent the equivalent of a middle class vacation on this game. I joined the game when it went live about 3 months ago because I wanted to be with a mobile game from the get-go. It's all disposable income, so don't worry about me goons.

By now I'm apalled at how little I actually gained for my investment idiocy (Edit: look Chomp8645, I corrected this just for you) the prices in this game are insane, it's about $1 for a hero shard and something like $0.33 for a minion (a single shard, a character requires 810 shards for max rank). There is a huge RNG factor, the chances of actually pulling the jackpot on any orb are extremely low (and the rates are not disclosed) and the coming nerfs will hurt all the whales who invested into premium characters like Black Widow. At the same time characters like Vision and Spidy were suddenly buffed to A+ levels. It's like saying "Thanks for your money, but we want you to invest into a new A team. Please enter your credit card details". And even my money-boosted team cannot reliably deal with the current content (Wasp, Thanos), which is obviously "Saudi Oil Prince" territory.

I played Galaxy of Heroes for a short while as well as FEH and FFBE. I can't remember such heavy handed meta and character changes (Yondu and Xbones are next on the chopping block) in any of these games.

They really managed to keep me from spending another dime on this game from now on. And that's quite a feat since I'm an idiot with poor impulse control.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 16, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hammerstein posted:

It's all disposable income, so don't worry about me goons.

Hammerstein posted:

my investment

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's important to keep a diverse investment porfolio of stocks, bonds, and Yondu shards.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
After seeing MH take four shits and die I'm extremely hesitant to consider paying for in game content as an "investment"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Especially one tied to an expensive property like Marvel. I don’t think any Marvel games last very long.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Imagine buying marvel shares back when they basically went out of business, you'd just have to wait like 15 years and they'd be worth a ton.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

It's important to keep a diverse investment porfolio of stocks, bonds, and Yondu shards.

Yes, I get it, investment is the wrong word here. English isn't my first language, is there a term for spending an idiotic amount of money on pixel-men ? In German we call it Geisteskrankheit.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 16, 2018

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
I don't like these blitz changes. Not at all, no sir.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Belgian Waffle posted:

I don't like these blitz changes. Not at all, no sir.

As someone who never really knuckled down on it, I don't exactly know what the changes mean. What does the cool down actually affect?

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
As far as I understand it, it's two major things.

The two hour cooldowns mean that we can fight more which means that we generate more points over the blitz period. But I only check in on the game twice over the course of a day because I have a job where I can't be obviously playing games on my phone and other hobbies I'd like to put my time towards so gently caress me, I guess.

The second change is integrating the Beta Players in with General Populace. These guys are generally going to have stronger teams which generate larger blitz numbers which means that it raises the bar for end of blitz rewards.

Combined, it means that I'm now struggling to make the 11-25% bracket when I used to easily make the 1-10% with way less effort.

Also, the end of Blitz rewards have been getting worse over time (blitz orbs replacing premium orbs) and so I'm pretty much just playing to get my milestone rewards.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You also get less points for matches in blitz and the milestone rewards are worse. I'm pretty bummed because over the weekend when I actually had time to participate in the Blitz I still landed in the 11-20 bracket. This Orb blitz going on now for example I wonder if I'm even going to crack 11-20% because I can't be playing this poo poo all day.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
New Players: be sure to sacrifice your four other players so all your victory screens look like this:

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
If your victory screens aren't wolverine focused they're not worth it imo

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
AIM or GTFO

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Wolverine is always the last one standing.

How do you guys spend your cores (the purple things)? Should I be buying the orbs or should I be spending them on refreshes?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Don't buy orbs. I use cores on refreshes and selected characters shards in the store (black widow mostly)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

howe_sam posted:

Don't buy orbs. I use cores on refreshes and selected characters shards in the store (black widow mostly)

This is what I do too. If you're completing all your daily objectives you can afford to refresh your campaign energy until it costs 100 cores for a refresh and still come out ahead on cores if you're making at least top 500 in Arena.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
I've been using all my cores lately to push to unlock Raccoon. I'm 6 shards away with what, one day left of the event? Less? It'll be tight either way and I'm pretty sure I'll be left one shard away lmao

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So some streamer works for foxnext, and they have him a ton of currency and is already level 65. Apparently r/marvelstrikeforce is pretty upset.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Yeah one of my roommates told me about that while we bought beer today and all I could do was laugh

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why would they be upset?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

He's not in a special server or anything; he basically eats a top 100 arena slot on his shard and people can't do diddly.

It's not like a big deal IMO but it'd deffo be lovely to run into him on the ladder.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I figure most big f2p games do that for streamers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MSF has made $25 million since launch.

Guess we won't be seeing reasonable deals any time soon.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Seems kinda low for a popular f2p game.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Invalid Validation posted:

Why would they be upset?

PVP game, competitor with dev granted bonus

Invalid Validation posted:

I figure most big f2p games do that for streamers.

Ehh. Not competitive games. I've been given stuff to giveaway or maybe game time for a sub-based game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Megaorb netted me Black Panther, awesome!