Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Mighty quick turnaround time for a quip of that caliber.

Hey cut him some slack, he's posting from GBS in 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I could do that too. I'd take GWB any day over this poo poo.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

i wish you could too, then you would leave us alone in the here and now.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to be left alone isn't there some right wing hellhole you can go scurry off to? Oh wait, you already live in the USA?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Astroman posted:

Hey cut him some slack, he's posting from GBS in 2004.

My 28k modem makes posts appear 14 years too late

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

gbs but from 2004 posted:

My 28k modem makes posts appear 14 years too late

Chew on that James Randi! We have a real live psychic on our hands here, unfortunately the only thing he can predict are posts by right wing shitheads.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Measly Twerp posted:

Chew on that James Randi! We have a real live psychic on our hands here, unfortunately the only thing he can predict are posts by right wing shitheads.

Well that springs eternal, and requires little to no editing for present relevancy.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Measly Twerp posted:

What a lovely superpower, being able to communicate with dumb retards from the future

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

gbs but from 2004 posted:

What a lovely superpower, being able to communicate with dumb retards from the future

And they're never any help because 'bootstraps'

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I can't wait for this show to come back. I got an Alexa but changed the keyword to "Computer" so I want to see how often The Orville sets off the Alexa.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I can't wait for this show to come back. I got an Alexa but changed the keyword to "Computer" so I want to see how often The Orville sets off the Alexa.

You could just throw on some TNG episodes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You could just throw on some TNG episodes.

You're going to end up buying a lot of Earl Grey tea that way. Or chocolate if it's a Deanna episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YO SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT POLITICS IN THIS THREAD.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Having a Google Home and not being able to do this proves I live in the Discovery and not Orville universe. :sigh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Astroman posted:

Having a Google Home and not being able to do this proves I live in the Discovery and not Orville universe. :sigh:

I got a new phone and I'm being bombarded by requests to turn on the google assistant. And I would if it didn't mean that the speaker in my living room would be competing with my phone constantly because I can't change the Hot phrase.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You can ask a google home for earl grey, hot and it will respond properly.

I mostly use it to listen to podcasts while I play Yakuza 0.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kurieg posted:

I got a new phone and I'm being bombarded by requests to turn on the google assistant. And I would if it didn't mean that the speaker in my living room would be competing with my phone constantly because I can't change the Hot phrase.

"Hey Google" will activate your Home and not your phone.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zurui posted:

Hey Google is one of the phrases my phone asks me to speak. Also, people in movies who aren't saying anything like "Google" activate my phone.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

There was a real missed opportunity in "Old Wounds" to talk about the avocado-ripening benefits of the time-accelerating device

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zurui posted:

It super annoying when that ad plays on youtube and my home does it too.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Did anyone like Orville more than Discovery?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

e.martin posted:

This, but the reverse

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Orville is a million times better than Discovery.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

e.martin posted:

I've enjoyed both but while they were both on, I found myself looking forward to Orville more than to Discovery.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I like the Orville more because I kind of miss when shows were more serialized. Or is it less serialized? Whichever means when each episode was standalone and would tell you a complete story in a single go. I don't like leaving things unfinished and its distracting. This is why I prefer to binge shows. The Orville is easier to keep up on because each episode is "complete" on its own.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Powered Descent posted:

I've enjoyed both but while they were both on, I found myself looking forward to Orville more than to Discovery.

this is the correct answer

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I still haven't gone back and finished Discovery.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought Discovery was okayish by the end of the season but Orville was the stronger Star Trek by far.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I gave up on Discovery after 3 episodes, and only almost gave up on Orville after the comedy rape episode.

Verdict: Orville.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think a big thing is discovery doesn't really know what it wants to be, while Orville out of the gate knew exactly what it wanted to be.

It feels a lot more like it has an identity, whereas discovery feels like a hodgepodge of things thrown together by different producers, writers, network executives, and stuff, trying to be deeper than it really is.

Like, Discovery was oooookaaaaaayyyyyy with some good stuff, and a bunch of bad stuff, but it was watchable, and has potential to get better. It wasn't something I was looking forward to each week though. Orville though was the first time I can remember since I was a kid actively looking forward to next week and annoyingly looking at the date and wanting it to fast forward to next thrusday so the next episode would be up.

It had plenty of flaws, but it hit way more good notes than bad notes, and they seem to really be taking feedback on board for season 2, so I have high hopes.

I miss having a serialized show I can go back and watch later, where every episode has a POINT to it, and doesn't just advance a larger story.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tom Guycot posted:

I think a big thing is discovery doesn't really know what it wants to be, while Orville out of the gate knew exactly what it wanted to be.

Which is weird because the marketing and initial public reception was quite the opposite. Everyone thought The Orville was going to be live action Family Guy in the future and Discovery would be the traditional Trek series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The lead up to both shows definitely colored them in my mind. I was cautiously optimistic about The Orville because I know how much Seth loves Star Trek. I figured he wouldn't completely gently caress it up. He wanted to make a Star Trek show, and he'd probably do his best to make another TNG. Discovery was a poo poo show from the very start. CBS clearly wanted something to be quickly farted out so they could bank on the anniversary of Star Trek as well as have a flagship show to put on CBS all access. Bryan Fuller wanted to take his time to make a Bryan Fuller show. I have no doubt that Fuller could have made a really banger season of Star Trek, but after he left, my expectations went way down.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I actually quite liked Discovery overall. It had a ton of issues, but I think it had a good heart under all the grim muck. Maybe it's colored by how negative other people's reactions have been, but my feelings were overall positive. Room for improvement buy I was glad Trek was back.

But on a week to week basis, when they were both on... I have to admit I was looking forward to The Orville more. Even if Discovery was great drama (and it wasn't quite "great"), The Orville was almost always incredibly comfy.

I'm glad we got them both, though! After so long it's great to have all this Star Trek style stuff to chose from on TV.

(The Expanse is hands down the best space show on right now, and perhaps ever.)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem
If I had to choose between The Orville and Discovery I‘d go with The Expanse.

However, I enjoy all three of them and want them to continue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Discovery does have Thicccc Gingers in it though.

But yea, I enjoyed Discovery, and while still not a fan of its redux of Klingons, I did enjoy it overall and can't wait to see more. But i'm more excited where the Orville is going to go, that took me about 3 episodes to warm up to.

Expanse is the best though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

It feels a lot more like it has an identity, whereas discovery feels like a hodgepodge of things thrown together by different producers, writers, network executives, and stuff, trying to be deeper than it really is.

Well that's because Discovery didn't know what it wanted to be. The network wanted one thing, Fuller another, the new showrunners had yet another idea, and now they are gone. :psyduck:

I probably like Orville more overall, but I look forward more to DISCO, I know Orville will be solid and reliably good, but I'm interested to see where they go on DISCO without the shackles of the Fuller original idea, without the HARD MEN MAKING HARD CHOICES storylines, and seeing the Enterprise and Anson Mount's Pike,

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Watching The Orville is like wearing your favorite pair of pants.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

Watching The Orville is like wearing your favorite pair of pants.

Oh yeah? Then how come it's not sticky when I sit down?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brawnfire posted:

Oh yeah? Then how come it's not sticky when I sit down?

Sounds like a personal problem. I'm sticky right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Covok posted:

I like the Orville more because I kind of miss when shows were more serialized. Or is it less serialized? Whichever means when each episode was standalone and would tell you a complete story in a single go. I don't like leaving things unfinished and its distracting. This is why I prefer to binge shows. The Orville is easier to keep up on because each episode is "complete" on its own.

Episodic is what you're looking for. Serialized is where you have an arc that lasts multiple episodes in a row.

I liked Discovery for what it was. I also looked forward to The Orville more each week.