Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This is the strangest edutainment program I've ever watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

iospace posted:

(Also don't look up meningitis while you're at it. It's loving scary)
Too late, there was a big scare about it when i was school age so we got all the hot info on how an innocuous general illness is actually your unrefridgerated ham sandwich coming back to kill you and you're already dead

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

iospace posted:

What day does this air again?

Also, massive, massive props to saying that pneumococcus can cause meningitis.

Saturday @ Midnight Japan time iirc.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, this is a ridiculously cute anime.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Once upon a time... anime

The first three series were animated in Japan.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurking Haro posted:

The first three series were animated in Japan.

Once upon a time... anime

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
That was a great episode. Rarely do I feel this much suspense.

Looking forward to seeing Naive and Macrophage next week.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There are so many neat little things in this series, like the distances given in micrometers and the red arches over the foot paths suggesting blood vessels.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Red blood cell sure does a lot of good screaming.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can't imagine putting up with a show that explains and introduces every single character and concept every episode

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's clunky way to adapt the manga, which just has text boxes for that info that get shown every single chapter. Maybe they'll stop voicing them every episode and just have it show on screen text

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Red blood cell sure does a lot of good screaming.
HanaKana screaming herself hoarse is always funny and I'll never get tired of it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Blood Red Cytoplasm getting splattered everywhere in my cute edutainment anime

This owns

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I love this stupid loving show.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Platelets are good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love how the metaphor they're using for this show just glosses over the more horrifying parts of the immune system. All those cells trapped in fibrin are going to die there.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I've never felt more suspense than when the platelets had to carry the package down some stairs

this is a very good anime

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Red blood cell not even acknowledging white's bad joke was good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, did I mishear something, or did WBC say that the body they're in is immunocompromised? That oughta be...interesting.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Also, did I mishear something, or did WBC say that the body they're in is immunocompromised? That oughta be...interesting.

Wait what

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Pollyanna posted:

Yes, that was mentioned. This could easily turn into something really screwed up.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
You thought this was gonna be an educational comedy? Fool, this is now a tragedy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the characters are cute but otherwise nothing about this show does anything for me. pity.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the characters are cute but otherwise nothing about this show does anything for me. pity.

I think it's hilarious, the characters and their designs are appealing and easy to like, and the animation quality is pretty high. :shrug:

Zomborgon posted:

Yes, that was mentioned. This could easily turn into something really screwed up.

Now that I'm reading further into the manga, the potential is there. EDIT: Removed spoiler, I want you guys to see this happen yourselves.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 15, 2018

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
All the characters in this series are pretty good. Looking forward to Macrophage's debut!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They did say in ep 1 that WBCs were short-staffed.

Those platelets are going to kill me holy poo poo they're so cute.

I doubt they'll stop explaining the concepts and characters because they're a big part of the show/manga's objective. You wouldn't have such a high profile VA like Mamiko Noto narrating them unless you thought they were important. Plus, they help pad out the episode.

E: Apparently that manga cover with a female WBC and a male WBC involves a human body that's deeply unhealthy, hence why it's "Cells at Work Black". Wish it were scanned, I'm curious on how it goes.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 15, 2018

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i hope there's an antibiotic character that looks like something straight out of warhammer

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kyte posted:

They did say in ep 1 that WBCs were short-staffed.

Those platelets are going to kill me holy poo poo they're so cute.

I doubt they'll stop explaining the concepts and characters because they're a big part of the show/manga's objective. You wouldn't have such a high profile VA like Mamiko Noto narrating them unless you thought they were important. Plus, they help pad out the episode.

E: Apparently that manga cover with a female WBC and a male WBC involves a human body that's deeply unhealthy, hence why it's "Cells at Work Black". Wish it were scanned, I'm curious on how it goes.

The monster of the day format means this body is super unhealthy too, considering how many times it almost dies.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was a good punchline at the end. Nature is a cruel mistress, red in tooth and claw.

Also antibiotics would be a bit of a deus ex machina.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

iospace posted:

What day does this air again?

Also, massive, massive props to saying that pneumococcus can cause meningitis.

My 8th grade science teacher lost one of her sons to meningitis when he was only like 19 or 20. :smith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show has already shown more characters die by falling into the abyss than Made in Abyss.

AOTS.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Technically, all of those cells on the scab would consigned to death.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The platelets are ruthless, but it most be done for the good of the world

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Technically, all of those cells on the scab would consigned to death.

If not for the style of the show, I would have been afraid that Red would get culled in the first episode for having been in potential contact with a pathogen.

The human body is ruthless.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if they ever go into that in Black. Not like this show isn’t brutal sometimes itself.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
they could safely do the south park kenny thing where the characters die at the end of a chapter/ep and reappear next ep with full knowledge of previous events and relationships

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

they could safely do the south park kenny thing where the characters die at the end of a chapter/ep and reappear next ep with full knowledge of previous events and relationships

Who's to say that isn't the norm?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Each week it's a new set of characters who just happened to be produced by the same bit of marrow.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Genetic memory :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I was thinking that the main protagonist red blood cell might become a problem given how lovely she is at her job. So I went and looked up how long red blood cells live anyways, because I wasn't aware of any conditions related to specifically red blood cell mutations causing a problem in the body.
But apparently they don't have a very long life span, so it's fine for the most part if some of them are a bit lovely.
Still gonna go and hit the books tonight.

Thanks edutainment.