Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

but that's why his take seems especially silly to me. cavill seems like one of the last guys on earth who would have a difficult time telling if a woman was into him or not. they're going to let someone like him know pretty obviously.

exactly. it makes no sense.

Hmm yeah I wonder why an internationally rich and famous celebrity with millions of fans would have to think much harder about how they behave in public than some random European/Asian citizen cruising chicks at a bar, they are basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I do not understand why all this hysteria and fear coming from men about "being called a rapist if you approach a woman"? Especially coming from a handsome and rich bloke like Cavil? Me and my friends love to party and travel and we have been to clubs and concerts from all over the globe from Rio to Beirut to Bali. I am not american and the situation for me appears simple and does not require hundreds of essays stating an obvious thing. Approach a woman confidently and normally and you can tell in the first minute if she enjoys your presence or not you withdrew and do not take it personally. I do not understand why this is hard?

Depending on who's talking, it seems to boil down to fragility and/or whataboutism. For the former, the issue is dudes being used to viewing dating/flirting as basically a game just for men. The man gets to have fun and can do pretty much whatever he likes, while the woman more or less has to sit there and take it. It's ingrained to them that the mere idea that they should check themselves and consider the woman's feelings seems completely outrageous to them. They actually do realise that this isn't a good look, so they exaggerate like crazy to make it objectively seem as unreasonable as they subjectively feel it is.

For the latter, thanks to metoo and other initiatives, society is slowly realising that sexual harassment and assault is a massive and pervasive issue. But some dudes would rather not acknowledge that (the reasons for that are a whole 'nother :can:), so in comes the myth of rampant false rape allegations. By muddying the waters this way, those dudes can go "I guess both sides are bad and the truth is in the middle :shrug:", and pretend everything's fine without having to change their outlook or treatment of women at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chris James 2 posted:

Rich Americans are arrogant/full of themselves traditionally and can't understand anyone not being into them completely

He's not American.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Hmm yeah I wonder why an internationally rich and famous celebrity with millions of fans would have to think much harder about how they behave in public than some random European/Asian citizen cruising chicks at a bar, they are basically the same.

all men should act the same when approaching women.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Chris James 2 posted:

Rich Americans are arrogant/full of themselves traditionally and can't understand anyone not being into them completely

Cavill's English.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

all men should act the same when approaching women.

I agree, but all people aren’t going to respond to a 100% neutral introduction in the same way.

Like how sometimes you bump into someone on the sidewalk and the other person is like “no worries.” or they’re like “hey gently caress you”.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Perestroika posted:

Depending on who's talking, it seems to boil down to fragility and/or whataboutism. For the former, the issue is dudes being used to viewing dating/flirting as basically a game just for men. The man gets to have fun and can do pretty much whatever he likes, while the woman more or less has to sit there and take it. It's ingrained to them that the mere idea that they should check themselves and consider the woman's feelings seems completely outrageous to them. They actually do realise that this isn't a good look, so they exaggerate like crazy to make it objectively seem as unreasonable as they subjectively feel it is.

These dudes also love binary logic. Either they can always comment on, touch or treat a woman sexually or women are just all hysterical rape-callers and even eye-contact is vorboten. There's no in-between because this switch don't have a dimmer.

Likewise, they like to think of their approach to sex in equal binary. There's goon quote somewhere along the lines of, "Women aren't vending machines. You don't put nice tokens in and sex comes out." Repeal nice tokens with... attention tokens? "I Want" tokens? and the sentiment stands.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Terry Crews and his wife remain cool as all heck.

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1017805884989288450?s=20

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I do not understand why all this hysteria and fear coming from men about "being called a rapist if you approach a woman"? Especially coming from a handsome and rich bloke like Cavil? Me and my friends love to party and travel and we have been to clubs and concerts from all over the globe from Rio to Beirut to Bali. I am not american and the situation for me appears simple and does not require hundreds of essays stating an obvious thing. Approach a woman confidently and normally and you can tell in the first minute if she enjoys your presence or not you withdrew and do not take it personally. I do not understand why this is hard?

Cavil isn’t American either

Edit hmm perhaps press refresh

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He is however rich and famous, and that disconnect still exists with those folks (sometimes, some of 'em get lucky and are Terry Crews)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 14, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

a) Cavill is referring to pick up culture and not dating culture, which is a different approach and distinction. Picking up someone for the night is generally more aggressive than trying to date someone long term and the distinction between reaction to the exact same approach is if someone is into you or not.

b) Cavill is so attractive (and famous) that relatively few would turn down an initial conversation with him, so if he actually went for an approach to try to sleep with them, he has a risk of it being construed as harassment if that's not the direction they were going for with him. When women aren't into many guys, they let you know at the initial approach, and that's something that he doesn't get much of. He's not an average goon, he's one of the prettiest guys I've ever seen and people around him just brighten up being around him. The signals world-traveling goon would read as "into" are the signals that Cavil just gets from being famous beautiful man. I have a squeaky-clean record when it comes to #metoo accusations from being very aware of reading people and when to back off, but I have no idea how I'd navigate in his shoes, because it's far rougher and more questionable in that position.

A lot of people are making an equivalency with trying to pick up someone and trying to date someone, and a lot of the issues are around the immediate pick up approach. And that's something an open dialogue needs to be had about, as there is a difference between failure, annoyance, and actual harassment, and it would be good if those lines could be clearer for everyone due to open dialogue. Also, there is a large difference for famous attractive people - hanging around them is far different than hanging out with your average friends or whatever, and the endless line of women approaching them because they are who they are and what they look like is super blurring. I've hung around people like him and Momoa, and Porcello on the sports end, and it's an entirely different world of human interaction there than what the average person is used to (or even lesser attractive celebs) when it comes to the sexual navigation side of things.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 14, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ha ha ha serial adulterer/feminist Joss Whedon has been green light to producer/direct/write an HBO prestige drama about super powered women in Victorian era clothing.

That’s a LoL

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rich white men CANNOT FAIL.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AceOfFlames posted:

Rich white men CANNOT FAIL.

Everybody loves a comeback story!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

Everybody loves a comeback story!

Just wait, right this minute Kevin Spacey and his people are plotting his redemption arc and comeback. And he's most likely going to succeed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of liberals are still pissed about Al Franken. There's definitely thirst for a redemption arc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of liberals are still pissed about Al Franken. There's definitely thirst for a redemption arc.

It's probably going to happen for Franken as well. Spend a summer at sex rehab, loads of money on a shrink, get the people who you've wronged to forgive you and start making public appearances again.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Rhyno posted:

Just wait, right this minute Kevin Spacey and his people are plotting his redemption arc and comeback. And he's most likely going to succeed.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how Kevin Spacey is going to be regarded in the future (I definitely think he'll come back). I can almost see him as someone similar to Lawrence Tierney; given roles that fit the repugnant person he is in real life. Spacey's career (other than a few odd entries like K-PAX) has more or less just been him playing evil, perverted assholes, so I could definitely see him just turning into the skid and only taking roles of predators/rapists for awhile.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JfishPirate posted:

I've been thinking a lot lately about how Kevin Spacey is going to be regarded in the future (I definitely think he'll come back). I can almost see him as someone similar to Lawrence Tierney; given roles that fit the repugnant person he is in real life. Spacey's career (other than a few odd entries like K-PAX) has more or less just been him playing evil, perverted assholes, so I could definitely see him just turning into the skid and only taking roles of predators/rapists for awhile.

From a purely morbid point of view, it'll be interesting to see who actually casts Spacey in something first. In a lot of ways he's been ground zero for this and I feel like eyes are always going to be on him regardless of what happens in the future.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Sometimes they don’t come back. Jeffery Jones didn’t and neither did that seventh heaven guy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but lets be honest the amount of people who gave a gently caress about those dudes is a drop in the bucket compared to Kevin "House of Cards + American Beauty" Space

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drunkboxer posted:

Sometimes they don’t come back. Jeffery Jones didn’t and neither did that seventh heaven guy.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but lets be honest the amount of people who gave a gently caress about those dudes is a drop in the bucket compared to Kevin "House of Cards + American Beauty" Space

Seriously, this is Kevin Spacey.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, this is Kevin Spacey.

Yeah well I say he’s nothing but an upjumped character actor!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a Spacey victim support group and he's probably going to face charges last I heard. Fantasizing about how he's going to come back is weird and unrealistic. He's been fully ostracized. It's not at all like Mel Gibson being cast out into the wilderness but still allowed to work.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Drunkboxer posted:

I assumed that Jeffery Jones had gone to jail for a long-rear end time for what he did but I looked and he's actually been in a couple movies since 2003, a lovely earthquake movie and Bill Clinton's favorite comedy, Who's Your Caddy? starring Big Boi and James "Uncle Phil" Avery

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There's a Spacey victim support group and he's probably going to face charges last I heard. Fantasizing about how he's going to come back is weird and unrealistic. He's been fully ostracized. It's not at all like Mel Gibson being cast out into the wilderness but still allowed to work.

I would be surprised if he faces charges actually. I know he's being 'investigated', but that's such a vague term anyway and given how hard crimes of this nature are to prosecute I can't see anything coming of it. If you do happen to subscribe to the belief that he and Singer were prolific in paying possible accusers off (And given how much Singer skirted with this issue I'd say there's something to it) then I would presume that the most damaging accusations have already been sewn up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

I would be surprised if he faces charges actually. I know he's being 'investigated', but that's such a vague term anyway and given how hard crimes of this nature are to prosecute I can't see anything coming of it. If you do happen to subscribe to the belief that he and Singer were prolific in paying possible accusers off (And given how much Singer skirted with this issue I'd say there's something to it) then I would presume that the most damaging accusations have already been sewn up.

The charges, if they come, will probably center on stuff related to his work at the Old Vic.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/nov/16/kevin-spacey-old-vic-inquiry-finds-20-claims-of-inappropriate-behaviour

Only Weinstein is more vilified and toxic at this point.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 16, 2018

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I never understood this mentality of waiting for these celebrities to "come back". If they were in any other industry someone these types of allegations you could probably count the number of people worried about their future career on one hand.

I love kpax and pootietang as much as the next guy but I can live without them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Optimist with doubt posted:

I never understood this mentality of waiting for these celebrities to "come back". If they were in any other industry someone these types of allegations you could probably count the number of people worried about their future career on one hand.

I love kpax and pootietang as much as the next guy but I can live without them.

I never said I hoped he would come back, just that it's likely due to his level of fame and popularity.

gently caress Kevin Spacey.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd be legitimately surprised if Kevin Spacey makes any kind of comeback. He did more than just one gently caress-up or a few years of drug addiction that caused crazy behavior. He was a serial predator on both adults and young boys for decades, one that everyone who worked with him kinda knew about but just didn't want to say anything because he was too famous and would ensure their careers were buried if they tried to blow the whistle. There's a good possibility that he may be facing charges, as Scotland Yard has six open investigations into him alone. He's the Harvey Weinstein of teenage boys.

Spacey is beyond just box office poison at this point. At best he may be able to pull a Polanski and flee to some foreign country where he gets paid a pittance to show up in local English language films until he commits suicide. At worst, he could end up in prison.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Only way Spacey gets a comeback is id they pull a Rogue One with the CG Spacey from Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Voiced by Christopher Plummer.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I give it like a 50/50 shot that Spacey starts showing up in those random direct-to-vod Steven Seagal flicks that keep getting produced in former Soviet satellite countries in a couple of years.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe all of our disgraced content creators will found a new molestation riddled film colony in France. Can’t wait for Weinstein presents: Beyond the Sea 2, a Polanski Joint.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunkboxer posted:

Maybe all of our disgraced content creators will found a new molestation riddled film colony in France. Can’t wait for Weinstein presents: Beyond the Sea 2, a Polanski Joint.

I wonder how far Spacey would have to go to avoid prosecution. He's under investigation by Scotland Yard so he can't flee to the UK. He might have to go somewhere like Romania.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Offenders that go after boys/men are a lot less likely to come back than those that go after girls/women due to the added level of the public's feeling on same sex things in general.

Also, things like Franken, where there are large questions on much of the stuff even happening as stated, especially with there being political motive surrounding the events, will be "forgiven" more than/earlier than more clear cut instances of actual assault.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hate to say it, but I think you guys are being way too optimistic about getting a just end to Spacey. We're still having to fight the "Hey, this is an actual problem" battle. Real repercussions are still a ways off. Jeffrey Jones never saw prison time and still acts on screen and stage (small roles, but the point stands), Polanski is enjoying life in France and got an Oscar, Jimmy Saville was aggressively covered for until his death... I will be sincerely shocked if Weinstein receives actual prison time.

At the end of the day, these are still rich, powerful men in a world run by rich, powerful men.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Das Boo posted:

I hate to say it, but I think you guys are being way too optimistic about getting a just end to Spacey. We're still having to fight the "Hey, this is an actual problem" battle. Real repercussions are still a ways off. Jeffrey Jones never saw prison time and still acts on screen and stage (small roles, but the point stands), Polanski is enjoying life in France and got an Oscar, Jimmy Saville was aggressively covered for until his death... I will be sincerely shocked if Weinstein receives actual prison time.

At the end of the day, these are still rich, powerful men in a world run by rich, powerful men.

Weinstein is gonna get the Bernie Madoff treatment, he'll be the one locked up as a "warning" to others and a signal that we don't completely not care, but also will be the only guy who gets as severe a treatment as he does

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

DC Murderverse posted:

Weinstein is gonna get the Bernie Madoff treatment, he'll be the one locked up as a "warning" to others and a signal that we don't completely not care, but also will be the only guy who gets as severe a treatment as he does

That was my second thought, yeah. But I'm still going to be surprised if it's anything past probation.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

AceOfFlames posted:

Only way Spacey gets a comeback is id they pull a Rogue One with the CG Spacey from Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Voiced by Christopher Plummer.

I feel like a fitting punishment for disgraced celebrities might be having their likenesses optioned for an eternal Video Game Purgatory where they play the sleaziest worst villains forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bombshell Bourdain interview: Celebrity chef unloads on 'rapey, gropey and disgusting Bill Clinton and hopes Weinstein is 'beaten to death in jail'
https://popula.com/2018/07/15/bourdain-confidential/

Colorado woman sues United Airlines after she woke to find drunk, off-duty pilot 'rubbing her crotch while masturbating' during flight - and was told to resolve the incident by 'talking' to her attacker
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5935373/Woman-sues-United-Airlines-claiming-drunken-passenger-sexually-assaulted-her.html

Ousted Billboard CEO John Amato Being Probed for Sexual Misconduct
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ousted-billboard-ceo-john-amato-being-probed-for-sexual-misconduct