Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Auslogics Duplicate File Finder is free for commercial use and works well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I've used Anti-Twin to find duplicate files. It also works with images that are different resolutions and sizes, I believe.

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003

gariig posted:

Is there a way on Windows to play Youtube as a picture-in-picture window similar to Safari on Mac?
Edge has an extension that does this, I believe. Can't remember the exact name and I'm not around my machine to check, but it's YouTube Enhancer, or something close to that. Maybe check into that, I don't remember for certain if it pops the video out but I'm pretty sure it does.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does anyone know an automated way to get Amazon delivery info added to a Gmail calendar, without forwarding everything through Outlook.com or letting Slice involved?

I’m coming up short, and the guide I read for IFTTT only leverages Slice.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
When you install a network printer on a workstation that already has the relevant drivers in the driverstore, does Windows default to downloading drivers from the remote location or using the copies in the driverstore? If it's the former, is there any way to force the latter? None of the various command line options I've looked into so far quite seem to do it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there an up to date list of tweaks to disable as much of the ads & telemetry stuff as possible? I reformatted my PC laptop and I don't remember all the little group policy tweaks or know if the guides I used back in 2015 are still relevant.

There's this thing, but I don't know how much I trust an (open source, even) app to mess with settings

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I still use ShutUp10 and it seems to not suck

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Why do so few apps have a version in the Windows Store at this point? 7-Zip, WinSCP, Notepad++, Audacity, Pidgin, etc. I would assume at least some of them would have a version in the Store, but I am probably ignorant of some obvious shortcoming.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Ynglaur posted:

Why do so few apps have a version in the Windows Store at this point? 7-Zip, WinSCP, Notepad++, Audacity, Pidgin, etc. I would assume at least some of them would have a version in the Store, but I am probably ignorant of some obvious shortcoming.

MS probably wants to charge them a fee for the privilege...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

Because you need to convert your program to a full on UWP application. For tons of stuff, that'll be a major rewrite.

Slayerjerman posted:

MS probably wants to charge them a fee for the privilege...

It's a one-time $99 fee for a company or $19 for an individual to get access to publish store apps, without renewal fees. Might seem very high, but most major applications like that already purchase valid code signing certificates on an ongoing basis, and that stuff starts at $100 a year, so one time $99 fees for the projects wouldn't break the bank.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Because you need to convert your program to a full on UWP application. For tons of stuff, that'll be a major rewrite.

You don't have to, this is old information. With Project Centennial, you can put up/convert any old Win32 application easily. Centennial is why foobar2000, Inkscape, Krita, paint.net are on the Store. With 7-Zip, they probably wouldn't be able to implement the Explorer shell hooks.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 13, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lambert posted:

You don't have to, this is old information. With Project Centennial, you can put up/convert any old Win32 application easily. Centennial is why foobar2000, Inkscape, Krita, paint.net are on the Store. With 7-Zip, they probably wouldn't be able to implement the Explorer shell hooks.

"You can just use a wrapper but the wrapper will break several of the programs' functionality"

You see why that doesn't work very well.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

"You can just use a wrapper but the wrapper will break several of the programs' functionality"

You see why that doesn't work very well.

Well, it works for anything that doesn't depend on shell integration. Not having a dumb "Open in Notepad++" shell extension installed by default would be a positive, if you ask me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lambert posted:

Well, it works for anything that doesn't depend on shell integration. Not having a dumb "Open in Notepad++" shell extension installed by default would be a positive, if you ask me.

Notepad++ is one of very few things I'd actually want that kind of extension for, to be honest. Lots of things you want to open in a text editor sometimes without it being the default association.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ynglaur posted:

UWP *is* the obvious shortcoming. lemme tell you about how all my UWP apps stopped working for months due to insane lovecraftian DCOM permissions errors.

but for real, what advantage is it for any of those things you listed, which are all free open source apps, to be on the Win Store?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Klyith posted:

but for real, what advantage is it for any of those things you listed, which are all free open source apps, to be on the Win Store?

You don't concern-troll like this over repositories on any other platform.

As in, most other platforms.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

dont be mean to me posted:

On the other platforms the repository administration takes care of all the work. You just provide the source and the software magically appears in the repository.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

free open-source applications get added to platforms based on someone who can do the work wanting them there. 7-Zip, WinSCP, Notepad++, Audacity, Pidgin, etc already exist on the windows platform. they don't need to be on the windows store, you go to their website and hit download.

lol I sure would, but this happens to be the microsoft thread talking about the windows store. other repositories have their own drama which can be intensely stupid -- but at least it resembles normal humans yelling at each other over a disagreement. microsoft otoh is like interacting with an Elder God.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Klyith posted:

but at least it resembles normal humans yelling at each other over a disagreement

:allears:

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I loving love the Windows Store, and developers need to get off their rear end, shut down their iOS money factories for a bit and work on their Windows apps. Developers were the ones that basically went nyah at every attempt by Microsoft to drag them into the current century. We could have had Windows on ARM with a good app selection by now if they had started coding for the Surface RT. Meanwhile they are all too happy to let Google and Apple dictate terms to them.

:rant: over

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I rather like the windows store too, a central software repository for stuff that is forced to run in a sandbox is a rad concept.

I worry it would turn into phone app stores if it ever took off though. Once the shovelware moves in finding the good stuff is a massive chore.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Windows Store is good and I like the UWP apps better than win32 where possible. I know this is not very popular but God drat it I don't want to have to kludge fixes for win32 stuff for another ten years.

I've made a few small apps for fun in VS using UWP and I honestly don't see how it's so terrible compared to traditional win32 development. Maybe on the larger scale it is? It just seemed different, not worse, to me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It would be nice to have a decent built-in repository and package manager ecosystem. A place to get all the stuff you use, get regular and seamless updates, an easy way to reinstall or move to a new computer and just have all your stuff automatically restored. At least they've added the store now, but it's not much good if it doesn't have the things you need. Nobody should ever need to use Ninite, is what I'm saying

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Reinstall/update my library would be great, although rebuilds are less frequent given how long SSDs live.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

syntaxfunction posted:

I've made a few small apps for fun in VS using UWP and I honestly don't see how it's so terrible compared to traditional win32 development. Maybe on the larger scale it is? It just seemed different, not worse, to me.
To be fair, when comparing ground-up program creation to the challenges to porting/rewriting programs, I’m not even certain scale is the appropriate term to use.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
UWP apps in general are garbage (also, MS still haven't fixed the dual monitor full screen bug that plagues all UWP applications), but I'm using the store versions of Inkscape and foobar2000 because I like the idea of them updating automatically and in the background.

Windows does have an integrated package manager that can even be extended, Chocolatey does it. But I don't trust third-party repositories, would be great if every application simply added their own repository. But it's never going to happen.

Also, not even MS put their apps in the Store (VS Code, Office, ...). Don't expect third-parties to chomp at the bit. Certain applications can never be part of the Store, like browsers, because MS don't allow for other rendering engines.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 16, 2018

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Based on rumors the next version of Office is going to be on the Windows Store.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I see Office in the Store already (though it doesn't seem to recognize my installation).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ynglaur posted:

I see Office in the Store already (though it doesn't seem to recognize my installation).

It doesn't install from the Store, as far as I know, but links you to https://www.office.com/myaccount instead.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
MS seems to love telling devs to do one thing while doing the opposite themselves. All their new Office apps are iOS first, then Android, and Windows users get to use the in-browser version. They bought Xamarin, a company that makes tools that let you write portable code that compiles to iOS, Android and UWP from a single code-base, but apparently don't use it at all anywhere internally. Great show of faith in your own product guys!
Joe Belfiore loves to blame third party devs for not supporting UWP leading to Windows Phone failing and the Windows 10 store being a failure, but the reality is that MS set that trend by not throwing full support behind WP and UWP themselves, and third party devs followed their lead. And making a habit of releasing new versions of WP that you couldn't upgrade to on existing hardware (7 couldn't upgrade to 8, only selected models upgradable from 8 to 10 despite running the insider builds of 10 without issue).
MS seems to invent new and creative ways of shooting themselves in the foot with every product they release.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Windows Phone was a failure to execute on a spectacular scale. Microsoft had zero strategic patience, and pulled the plug just as they were getting sustainable market share. But you didn't see WP in San Francisco, so it must not be a good product, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make the windows phone a start menu instead of the tiles everyone rages about and they would have sold billions.

(I was getting close to swapping to a windows phone just as they scrapped it)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

xzzy posted:

Make the windows phone a start menu instead of the tiles everyone rages about and they would have sold billions.

(I was getting close to swapping to a windows phone just as they scrapped it)

I don't think people minded the tiles on windows phone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That was more a joke about tiles on their desktop OS and how a traditional start menu is all people wanted.

I admit it wasn't a very good joke.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What explorer replacement software do you use? I've been using xplorer2 for several years and wondering if it's time for a change.

Specifically, we moved to a more cloud-sharepoint-heavy environment and xplorer2 doesn't seem to play well with it. I like that it has a mini-scrap window where I keep shortcuts (i.e. like a favorites bar) but it's been opening cloud-sharepoint locations in explorer instead of in xplorer when address is \\ACME.sharepoint.com@SSL\whatever

It opens properly if I use a bookmark, but ehh it's just one among several things kind of annoying me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

xzzy posted:

That was more a joke about tiles on their desktop OS and how a traditional start menu is all people wanted.

I admit it wasn't a very good joke.

I also admit that I'm bad at reading comprehension.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I liked them, and keep trying to find an Android Launcher with a decent tileset. Maybe the Microsoft Launcher will get an option for tiles eventually. :saddowns:

totalnewbie posted:

What explorer replacement software do you use? I've been using xplorer2 for several years and wondering if it's time for a change.

Specifically, we moved to a more cloud-sharepoint-heavy environment and xplorer2 doesn't seem to play well with it. I like that it has a mini-scrap window where I keep shortcuts (i.e. like a favorites bar) but it's been opening cloud-sharepoint locations in explorer instead of in xplorer when address is \\ACME.sharepoint.com@SSL\whatever

It opens properly if I use a bookmark, but ehh it's just one among several things kind of annoying me.

Have you looked at odrive? I haven't used it, but saw it the other day and it has lots of marketing-speak around one view of all of your cloud storage.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 16, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's everyone's take on PasswordSafe as a password repository? It uses a local database like KeePass, it seems, and it's the "officially recommended secure password software" for my work.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ynglaur posted:

Have you looked at odrive? I haven't used it, but saw it the other day and it has lots of marketing-speak around one view of all of your cloud storage.

I like the integration xplorer currently offers me as well as some of the additional functionality. Will reconsider it but still wondering what everyone else uses.

I don't mind spending 20-30 bucks, but I don't like spending money so much that I want to just buy one blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got a new SSD that seems to not be great. Intermittent non system disk errors, difficulty coming out of hibernation. I've tested a lot of other harddware and I think its the HD. SO I want to clone its contents onto a new drive so I don't have to reinstall every thing. Windows 10 install. What are my software options to get this done? Clonezilla?