Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bold Robot posted:

GearCity sounds like it might fit the bill. I dunno if it would count as true grog since it only peripherally touches on war stuff, but otherwise it checks a lot of boxes.

I want this game, but I want it to be about passenger ships and I want it to cover the history of passenger shipping in the age of steam from say 1850 to 1955.

I would like this game to include the management of a shipping line and shipping routes as well covering the whole world and all of the main shipping routes; however, I will settle for the North Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ZombieLenin posted:

I want this game, but I want it to be about passenger ships and I want it to cover the history of passenger shipping in the age of steam from say 1850 to 1955.

I would like this game to include the management of a shipping line and shipping routes as well covering the whole world and all of the main shipping routes; however, I will settle for the North Atlantic.

You posted about this before, right? Or at least someone posted this in the thread and I thought it was a great idea at the time and still do.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

You posted about this before, right? Or at least someone posted this in the thread and I thought it was a great idea at the time and still do.

I feel this way about most game ideas people have here. I miss games with a ton of meat and depth with poo poo like that.

Is there anything in the grog release pipeline that you've guys have heard about? RTW2 is the only thing I'm aware of.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pirate Radar posted:

I checked some historical carriers for comparison and it’s a super terrible complement even for its displacement, but it’s hard to make a specific comparison since as far as I know there was never a CA->CVL conversion of that kind historically.

E: I wrote “comparison” twice and then decided to throw in a third, apparently.

The Saipan class is the only one I can think of, loosely based on the Baltimore class heavy cruiser.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MrYenko posted:

The Saipan class is the only one I can think of, loosely based on the Baltimore class heavy cruiser.

Them and the Independence-class ships were sort of what I settled on.

I wonder if one tech category will simply be “aircraft complement” as people struggle to fit more planes into their hulls.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If it isn't I will be very disappointed.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Pirate Radar posted:

Them and the Independence-class ships were sort of what I settled on.

I wonder if one tech category will simply be “aircraft complement” as people struggle to fit more planes into their hulls.

This could abstract things like folding wings and improvements in aircraft handling on the deck, etc. I like it.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

I've always wanted this sort of game, but for railways. Something more detailed than Railroad Tycoon (although not the individual building tracks and stuff of TTD) where you can design your own locomotives and stuff.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I just read a Vice article about a Reddit group that's playing through a multiplayer Civ V game where all the players are making the decisions in controlling a single civ.

The players each have a role among the three branches of government (executive/legislative/judicial) and they hash out everything in a political LARP sort of way. All moves in the actual game are then made by the executive branch (and are restricted by any legislation passed by the group). The judicial branch serves to resolve disputes.

Sounds pretty interesting, and it made me wonder if two (or more) otherwise incompatible game systems couldn't be bashed together to do something similar in the wargame space. I know multiple players have assumed various roles in games like Campaign for North Africa, but I'm thinking more like layering some entirely separate production or political game on top of the usual hex & counter stuff.

It's a dream of mine to play a Vietnam game complete with a robust US political component that governs moves on the ground "in country". Not just a nod towards the political component, but treat it as equally (if not more) important part of play as your strategic and tactical military moves.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 12, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Grog gamers don’t have friends.

Source: Me.

:(

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Player1: "What do you mean, Player2 and Player3 are dead? They were just supposed to drop out of the game!"

Player4: "I don't know, I told Player5 to bring them, and when the APC showed up, they were dead!"

Player6, meanwhile, is busy running the Strategic Hamlet Program into the ground.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bold Robot posted:

Probably. I have been irritated for years that a game like this does not exist. I mean, there are like a million railroad tycoon games, but zero covering ships from the same era.

I feel like someone could have at least made a boat analog of those.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I just read a Vice article about a Reddit group that's playing through a multiplayer Civ V game where all the players are making the decisions in controlling a single civ.

The players each have a role among the three branches of government (executive/legislative/judicial) and they hash out everything in a political LARP sort of way. All moves in the actual game are then made by the executive branch (and are restricted by any legislation passed by the group). The judicial branch serves to resolve disputes.

Sounds pretty interesting, and it made me wonder if two (or more) otherwise incompatible game systems couldn't be bashed together to do something similar in the wargame space. I know multiple players have assumed various roles in games like Campaign for North Africa, but I'm thinking more like layering some entirely separate production or political game on top of the usual hex & counter stuff.

It's a dream of mine to play a Vietnam game complete with a robust US political component that governs moves on the ground "in country". Not just a nod towards the political component, but treat it as equally (if not more) important part of play as your strategic and tactical military moves.

I thought Grigsby's WitX would work for something like this. Run it rather like I do Hired Goons game except allow each player to control an Army independent of the others. I've been afraid it would be too fiddly when it came to combat. Trying to watch 10 goons wrangle themselves as STAVKA/US-UK-Canada would be fairly hilarious. Or even PanzerGoon complaining about 18thArmyGoon and they all bitch about the FSBGoon.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've day dreamed about various WitP and WitP/RtW hybrid LPs for years but there no way I have the commitment to run something like that.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

tombom posted:

I've always wanted this sort of game, but for railways. Something more detailed than Railroad Tycoon (although not the individual building tracks and stuff of TTD) where you can design your own locomotives and stuff.

Back in the before times, when board games were novelties, my uncle (who does not work for Nintendo) produced a game where you ran a shipping company on the Great Lakes. I've half thought about learning to code and updating the rules to turn it into something like this. Maybe if I am unemployed this year...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BUG JUG posted:

Back in the before times, when board games were novelties, my uncle (who does not work for Nintendo) produced a game where you ran a shipping company on the Great Lakes. I've half thought about learning to code and updating the rules to turn it into something like this. Maybe if I am unemployed this year...

This sounds really familiar. Like I saw a Facebook post last week about this board game. Weird.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

if i can't build a carrier out of pykrete RTW2 will be a failure

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

This sounds really familiar. Like I saw a Facebook post last week about this board game. Weird.

Was the game called "Cargo"? Because that was it. (There was probably a subtitle too but I've forgotten it)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is it just me or does the F-35 in CMANO not support the "beast mode" loadout?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Check the loadouts marked as "external" on the USAF/2025 F-35A (#3835).

Variants of other countries have much fewer options because weapon integration is a non-trivial, not-free job.

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 13, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Today in Rule the Waves, I learned that it’s possible for you and an enemy nation to both blockade each other at the same time.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also by all real accounts the beast mode doesn't even exist.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Squiggle posted:

Also by all real accounts the beast mode doesn't even exist.

By real accounts the plane doesn’t fly without 10 sets of spare parts and 500 Lockheed engineers available for support work.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve had a hankering to play a WWII carrier war pc game. I was thinking of the 2007 Matrix games “Carriers at War” or perhaps this game.

Can anyone give me any feedback on either of these?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MrMojok posted:

I’ve had a hankering to play a WWII carrier war pc game. I was thinking of the 2007 Matrix games “Carriers at War” or perhaps this game.

I've only ever played the SSI, pre-Matrix Games version of Carriers at War, but it's my impression that that's a much more "playable" game than John Tiller's Midway, because the latter has very little fine control over the deck management, search patterns, and strike coordination that are the heart of WW2 carrier ops.

You also get more scenarios out of CAW.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Do you have to turn into the wind to launch aircraft in CAW?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MrMojok posted:

I will always leap in to say don't buy John tiller's Midway or any of his naval games.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

BUG JUG posted:

my uncle (who does not work for Nintendo)

You liar we know he does why do you have to make up poo poo like that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just wait for rtw2.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tetraptous posted:

GearCity is pretty awesome. At present, detailed military production is limited to engines (for ships, tanks, and aircraft) and pickup trucks and vans, since they use the same systems as civilian auto production, which is the focus of the game. All other war production is abstracted, and AFAIK, your production has no impact on the course of the war.

The game can get really micromangey. There are now some auto-tools to help you, but especially as your company grows there’s always a ton of things to do each turn if you want to optimize profit. I usually get a bit overwhelmed at a certain point. Still, it’s pretty awesome, and the developer does a great job interacting with the community and incorporating good suggestions into future updates. I think a lot of people following this thread would enjoy it.

Gearcity is very good (if you're into classic DOS games and the history of video game development, the early 1990s game Detroit, which Gearcity is a direct 1:1 remake of, is worth checking out too), and lets you play around with all kinds of unconventional things if you want to, including engine types that were either never used in automobiles or only rarely used in automobiles, which is fun. I'm trying to build as many vehicles with radial or rotary engines as possible just to see how far I can get with them (I've got a pretty solid line of five-cylinder rotary-engine sedans right now) - as an added bonus, when military contracts for aircraft engines roll around, I can frequently just plop one of my heavy-duty truck engines in there and call it good. You can also play around with steam engines if you want to see just how far you can push the steam car, electric engines starting from 1900, and gas turbine engines later.

It's definitely a grog game, though - the UI is very bad and there is almost no documentation whatsoever. The manual was supposed to be ready 'very soon' as of almost three years ago and is still not out. The official wiki is more or less a blank page. There's no tooltips and no information on what most of the options do. It's a game that involves a lot of experimentation and trial-and-error.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
really, friends, the best grognard game is, real life, if you think baout it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

really, friends, the best grognard game is, real life, if you think baout it

The DLC issue is why I turned DemSoc

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

mllaneza posted:

:captainpop:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mllaneza posted:

Nice.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

mllaneza posted:

It made me go all in with revsoc. :ussr:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Gearcity is very good (if you're into classic DOS games and the history of video game development, the early 1990s game Detroit, which Gearcity is a direct 1:1 remake of, is worth checking out too), and lets you play around with all kinds of unconventional things if you want to, including engine types that were either never used in automobiles or only rarely used in automobiles, which is fun. I'm trying to build as many vehicles with radial or rotary engines as possible just to see how far I can get with them (I've got a pretty solid line of five-cylinder rotary-engine sedans right now) - as an added bonus, when military contracts for aircraft engines roll around, I can frequently just plop one of my heavy-duty truck engines in there and call it good. You can also play around with steam engines if you want to see just how far you can push the steam car, electric engines starting from 1900, and gas turbine engines later.

It's definitely a grog game, though - the UI is very bad and there is almost no documentation whatsoever. The manual was supposed to be ready 'very soon' as of almost three years ago and is still not out. The official wiki is more or less a blank page. There's no tooltips and no information on what most of the options do. It's a game that involves a lot of experimentation and trial-and-error.

I will have to look up Detroit, because I've been failing miserably at GearCity (my R&D eats up all my money, and I generally just get out one lovely cheap truck model and never recoup my research costs), but this is totally my thing. Just wanna build trucks for the German army suddenly mysteriously ordering hundreds of trucks and engines.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

RTW2 looks like a modernized Great Naval Battles of the North Atlantic and drat I want it.

Bismarck 14" C45
2 Hit(s)
1 Penetrating hit(s)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Caconym posted:

RTW2 looks like a modernized Great Naval Battles of the North Atlantic and drat I want it.

Bismarck 14" C45
2 Hit(s)
1 Penetrating hit(s)

GNBNA was, and is, one of my favorite naval sims of all time. Only Fighting Steel with NWS’s (of RTW fame) Fighting Steel Project (which added a GNBNA style campaign to Fighting Steel) was ‘better.’

I still remember playing GNBNA when I was 15. It was the first game I ever played modded, as the GNBNA community on Prodigy designed and distributed an Operation Sealion mod for GNBNA.

The kicker being that, to get the mod, I had to mail someone 5x 3.5 inch floppies and then waited 3 weeks to get them back with the mod on them.

Speaking of which, now is about the time where I once again beg some grog dev who might read this to remake these games—I just want a proper 3D big gun BB sim.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

MrMojok posted:

carriers at war doesn't run well on modern systems, doesn't have many scenarios, and is extremely easy. id recommend against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CMANO 1936-1946 database when

EDIT: oh wtf the Cold War database already supports everything you need for a Battle of Midway

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 17, 2018