Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
You can use a cup to leverage armbars and stab people in the spine from back control :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Waroduce posted:

just let your dicks smoosh

New thread title?

I were a rash guard under the gi, some guys go bare chested but no one at my gym does this so I think it's gross. Also I have hairy chest and would not want my chest hair ripped out all the time.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
What's up "big guy" jiujitsu. I'm 6'2" 220lb lean, but thankfully have other big dudes at my gym to roll with. Also my blackbelt instructor is like 150lbs and destroys me all the time without even trying.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'm so excited for Quintet 2... But it's 11pm on Sunday night!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently its a tape delay or something? I saw a site when I was looking for the lineups that had match results and such. It wasn't making predictions.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Is it just me or do most grappling comps seem to be struggle to clearly communicate dates,start times, and how to watch online (EBI is an exception)?

When I click the fight pass links from a few posts back I get 2PM this afternoon for Polaris and 2AM Monday for Quintet, EST. Confusing because when I was doing Time zone conversion for Polaris I was getting noon.

Quintet on the other hand I am lost because they don’t have much English language marketing which is weird given the profile of some of the fighters bad teams they are bringing in (Josh Barnett, Dan Strauss, Craig Jones, 10th Planet guys).

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I'm joining Rilion Gracies home jui jitsu academy at the end of the month since it will be on my way home from work. This will be the first time I've ever done jui jitsu in a structured way. I have little to no grappling experience apart from wrestling and rolling no gui with a few friends who are blue/purple belts on and off for about a year. It's all gui. I spend alot of time attempting to hold frame, not get my back taken and scooting around on my rear end.

I've boxed for approx 3 years and was an instructor to a bunch of bored housewives and beautiful young women when I was single but that means gently caress all for this.

Do you wear a cup?

Or do you just let your dicks smoosh

E: also what do you wear under a gui? Shirt, no shirt? Athletic shorts or just compression pants?

Cups are for pussys and homosexs.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't use a cup but many of my teammates do. I had a guy use my nuts as a pivot point for his knee the other day which made me reconsider getting a cup.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't use cups lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
this popped up on my twitter feed and I thought you guys would enjoy, especially since you can see whats coming a mile away

https://twitter.com/McDojoLife/status/1018107668706332672

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this popped up on my twitter feed and I thought you guys would enjoy, especially since you can see whats coming a mile away

:lol:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Thats so good

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
you can't tap if you're already unconscious

*points to head*

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Even me, the gi hating dude, saw that a mile away. So the purple belt is in basket weaving, right?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's a joke

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

spb posted:

I get “Were you a wrestler?” a lot

I do too but I think it’s because my guard sucks

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I think I get it because I’m Jericho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I pulled my back and have tried to work through it, but I finally realized after I was in a lot of pain on Wednesday that I had to rest it.

It sucks though, I feel like a coward not willing to work through the pain, but I also figure its dumb to hurt myself more rather than taking a week to ice and advil

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I pulled my back and have tried to work through it, but I finally realized after I was in a lot of pain on Wednesday that I had to rest it.

It sucks though, I feel like a coward not willing to work through the pain, but I also figure its dumb to hurt myself more rather than taking a week to ice and advil

This thing. https://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I keep it by my bed and do a couple of minutes with it before sleep. It loving works.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

awesome

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone else watch Quintet 2?

Haisam Rida is a beast

butros
Aug 2, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Haisam Rida is a beast

Came to post this

Quintet really is so watchable and entertaining. Probably my favorite of all the various formats and events out there.

E: holy poo poo Rida vs Geo

butros fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 16, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was going to but got sidelined by work related bullshit so I have to wait until tonight (Tuesday) to catch it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fun question -

Do you have a gym nickname? If so, why or how did you get it?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Fun question -

Thor, because I make a good fat Chris Hemsworth impression.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Fun question -

Retarded white belt who sucks as and doesn't know the difference between his elbow and his knee

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

Retarded white belt who sucks as and doesn't know the difference between his elbow and his knee

Weird that's mine too

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Same

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mine is my real name with either 이 (e sound) or 아 (a sound) thrown on at the end.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No idea what you mean

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Fun question -

captain americana. my arch gym nemesis is known as professor single leg x

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dumb hwite belt question: Is it closed guard only if you're in the guard position and your legs are crossed?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

Dumb hwite belt question: Is it closed guard only if you're in the guard position and your legs are crossed?

My instructors make it a big point to never cross your legs in closed guard unless you are applying the final steps of a submission so I think yeah you dont have to cross them

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 17, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My instructors make it a big point to never cross your legs in closed guard unless you are applying the final steps of a submission so I think yeah you dont have to cross them

Really? What is there reasoning?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

Really? What is there reasoning?

Apparently you can injure your ankle, not sure of the specifics.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've been taught techniques where you use closed guard (legs around opponent with ankles crossed) to control/break their posture.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Apparently you can injure your ankle, not sure of the specifics.

Are you thinking of when you are on the back? I've also been taught not to cross ankles when I have someone's back, but never when they are in my guard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

butros posted:

Are you thinking of when you are on the back? I've also been taught not to cross ankles when I have someone's back, but never when they are in my guard.

Nah, when its guard.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That's unusual to say never but my coach at home deemphasizes crossing the ankles because it can encourage people to be inactive and lay flat versus active and connected hips with aggressive angles.

It's kind of invisible jiu jitsu so hard to post about but you can really feel the contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I feel like that's terrible. Actually closing your guard helps break posture and control distance.