Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
elon needs to take it easy with the cocaine and stop reading r/wallstreetbets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1018586349627170816

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
twisted billionaire with an unusual name, envious that the public doesn't adore him like they do tony stark, grows increasingly detached from reality and promises to show up his rivals

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
You get a phone call from the CEO of your company in the middle of dinnertime with your family. He says into your ear, "I need you back at the office. We're building a sub to save those cave kids."

To play sycophant and agree to meet him at the office, go to page 10.
To finish eating dinner, go to page 42.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

TimWinter posted:

You get a phone call from the CEO of your company in the middle of dinnertime with your family. He says into your ear, "I need you back at the office. We're building a sub to save those cave kids."

To play sycophant and agree to meet him at the office, go to page 10.
To finish eating dinner, go to page 42.

lol if you think anyone working for a silicon valley billionaire has a family anymore

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's literally impossible to rent a three bedroom here lol there aren't families and dinner tables

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's three bedroom places around here, I mean one of the bedrooms was once a garage and the other was a closet but it counts

some of them [but not many] cost less than a million dollars!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it keeps going

https://twitter.com/Send_Lwyds/status/1018848007230513153

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
one of my favourite shows is Planetes and elon musk putting a car into space makes me mad, legit. there're whole episodes about bougie fuckers leaving garbage in space and elon musk sent a whole loving car into space. it's littering except one accident can gently caress us all forever

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
props to our future generations who deal with space debris. workers of the solar system unite

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

one of my favourite shows is Planetes and elon musk putting a car into space makes me mad, legit. there're whole episodes about bougie fuckers leaving garbage in space and elon musk sent a whole loving car into space. it's littering except one accident can gently caress us all forever

well in his defense it's heading out into the asteroid belt and beyond so realistically nobody will ever have to deal with it

granted, it was supposed to go to mars, but what's a few million miles here or there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Did anyone bother checking whether the “car” was on the course Elon said it was? I’m thinking of that satellite that NK launched into a tumbling orbit and still celebrates as a victorious space conquest (and also someone in gbs was actually afraid it had a nuke payload ready to drop on them in their sleep)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 16, 2018

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

well in his defense it's heading out into the asteroid belt and beyond so realistically nobody will ever have to deal with it

granted, it was supposed to go to mars, but what's a few million miles here or there

he dumped some real loving big garbage right on the exit ramp

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

SmokaDustbowl posted:

he dumped some real loving big garbage right on the exit ramp
tbf Tesla didnt originally build the factory

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

Did anyone bother checking whether the “car” was on the course Elon said it was? I’m thinking of that satellite that NK launched into a tumbling orbit and still celebrates as a victorious space conquest (and also someone in gbs was actually afraid it had a nuke payload ready to drop on them in their sleep)

ham satellite nerds tracked it for a couple days and it appeared to be on the "correct" (wrong) trajectory. its not hanging out in low earth orbit or anything.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my favorite part of all this is his twitter av showing him all smiling and carefree as he gets into ill-advised flamewars with people who work for a living

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

George posted:

my favorite part of all this is his twitter av showing him all smiling and carefree as he gets into ill-advised flamewars with people who work for a living

he shits on workers rights and calls actual workers pedophiles

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://jalopnik.com/now-we-know-for-sure-elon-sucks-like-all-these-jackass-1827623885

poetry

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
a stunning revelation

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
nobody deserves the benefit of the doubt, especially now that everyone is capable of posting exact stream of consciousness for everyone to see

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Captain Foo posted:

bumping this thread because Elon musk sucks

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Qdoxy5pUA

ha ha ha I did not call him a pedo I did nottttt

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

good thing nobody screenshots tweeter then

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/16/british-diver-in-thai-cave-rescue-stunned-after-attack-by-elon-musk

“I believe he’s called me a paedophile,” he said. “I think people realise what sort of guy [Musk] is.”

Asked if he would consider taking legal action against Musk, he told reporters: “Yes, it’s not finished.”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

flakeloaf posted:

good thing nobody screenshots tweeter then

we just don’t know what happened. it’s all in the past now. let’s not dwell on it!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1019028410658521088

drag him Onion

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao loving ouch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they were testing the rocket configuration for the first time and had to put some kind of payload on it. no one is going to risk their satellite on an untested platform so usually on the first launch they just put a bunch of water barrels or chunks of steel girders or whatever to simulate a payload mass. in that sense, bolting a car to the upper stage instead as a publicity stunt is fine.

also, they didn't "miss" their target. the rocket is indeed going out to the asteroid belt rather than mars, but that's because they wanted to burn the upper stage out completely in order to observe the engine's behavior as it ran out of fuel (something that can only be tested in space on a total loss mission, since the rockets will always carry a small fuel reserve). so they ended up boosting it past its initial trajectory. that was expected.

also there are hundreds of thousands of pieces of space debris floating around in our orbit and more than 20,000 of them are actively tracked by the department of defense. even if the car had stayed in orbit, it's just one more piece, and it would pose no more danger than any other dead satellite or discarded payload fairing.

i am not a muskovite but let's base our arguments on an accurate foundation :spergin:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

they were testing the rocket configuration for the first time and had to put some kind of payload on it. no one is going to risk their satellite on an untested platform so usually on the first launch they just put a bunch of water barrels or chunks of steel girders or whatever to simulate a payload mass. in that sense, bolting a car to the upper stage instead as a publicity stunt is fine.

also, they didn't "miss" their target. the rocket is indeed going out to the asteroid belt rather than mars, but that's because they wanted to burn the upper stage out completely in order to observe the engine's behavior as it ran out of fuel (something that can only be tested in space on a total loss mission, since the rockets will always carry a small fuel reserve). so they ended up boosting it past its initial trajectory. that was expected.

also there are hundreds of thousands of pieces of space debris floating around in our orbit and more than 20,000 of them are actively tracked by the department of defense. even if the car had stayed in orbit, it's just one more piece, and it would pose no more danger than any other dead satellite or discarded payload fairing.

i am not a muskovite but let's base our arguments on an accurate foundation :spergin:

prestige objects should not be allowed into space

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also don't kid yourself with the " more than 20,000 of them are actively tracked by the department of defense", that's a joke

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

also don't kid yourself with the " more than 20,000 of them are actively tracked by the department of defense", that's a joke

mhm you got a source on that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
im pretty sure both the americans and the russkies keep a close eye on "space debris" that just so happens to orbit over sensitive military installations

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

prestige objects should not be allowed into space

what do you think a space program is, exactly

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

mhm you got a source on that

do you? what are the active monitoring stations and where are they located? and what are the corresponding satellites? we get near asteroid misses constantly

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

*smaaaaaaash*

poo poo, they nearly missed each other

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

gps or communication satellites aren't prestige objects, a loving stupid garbage car launched into space is a prestige object

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

a work for welfare program for unemployed canadian astronauts

lol did they ever get around to putting that guy on their money or do they need to wait until he’s dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

do you? what are the active monitoring stations and where are they located? and what are the corresponding satellites? we get near asteroid misses constantly

h t h

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)