Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll accept the touchbar if it ever becomes a new row above the F keys.

That might even be an improvement over the regular keyboard design since the F keys would no longer have to pull double duty as media/system keys.
Although they'd have to bring back the correct cursor keys as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

r u ready to WALK posted:

this is the thread for the bad hardware with the good operating system

you want the thread for the good hardware with the bad operating system

i thought this was the thread for apple

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'll accept the touchbar if it ever becomes a new row above the F keys.

That might even be an improvement over the regular keyboard design since the F keys would no longer have to pull double duty as media/system keys.
Although they'd have to bring back the correct cursor keys as well.

yeah, if they made an external keyboard where the touch bar was above the f-keys rather than instead of them i'd be all over that. it is occasionally nice to have; it's just not nice often enough to make up for how often it's worse

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
the F keys are only useful because of the meta keys on them for media/brightness. stebe made the correct decision by making the media controls primary and the actual F keys only accessible with the fn modifier, because seriously no one ever uses them.

having an F key row with no media controls on it would be an even bigger waste of space than the touchbar

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i use the f keys all the time because i'm a guy who fs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i use the f keys all the time because i'm a guy who fs

go f yourself

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and dont tell me youre upset with this setup

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the touchbar would be p sweet if apple hadnt inexplicably put escape on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a thinkpad but i also don't think the touchbar is conceptually a bad idea. like, i would even find it useful as a contextual finger-sized palette -- e.g. for changing brush size in photoshop or whatever.

but removing physical controls and replacing them with a touchscreen is almost universally a bad idea unless there are tremendous benefits and in this case there aint'

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

just inching towards a future when there is no keyboard and everything is touch screens

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

touchscreen keyboard is so gonna happen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i have a thinkpad but i also don't think the touchbar is conceptually a bad idea. like, i would even find it useful as a contextual finger-sized palette -- e.g. for changing brush size in photoshop or whatever.

but removing physical controls and replacing them with a touchscreen is almost universally a bad idea unless there are tremendous benefits and in this case there aint'

a large touchpad/screen below the keyboard that can have contextual controls would be good. idk if you make it part of the touchpad cause then people will gently caress it up, but maybe to the left and right or something. have it be a single surface for the entire thing but 3 separate logical sections.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://hrtapps.com/blogs/20180712/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

it can also “thermal velocity boost” to as high as 4.8 GHz, load and temperature permitting.

lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I can bench press 5000 pounds, strength permitting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

who even uses an escape key lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

who even uses an escape key lmao

vim users lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

vim users lmao
:hmbol:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

vim users lmao

brutal self-ownage

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

akadajet posted:

vim users lmao

lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it's a shame apple is ending their photo printing service. Lot of family members I know used it quite a lot. Too bad it was never(to my knowledge) ever integrated into the iOS Photos app. Now I'll have to get more prints from places to see who's pretty good. I'd use Nations more but their software is straight out of 1997.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they used to have an app where you could upload a photo and it would send a postcard of it but they got rid of it. it was pretty neat

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

boo these people emoji

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
post a jobs one but the ghost emoji

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
miitomo 2.0 not looking so hot

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Jesus, History keeps repeating itself

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

they used to have an app where you could upload a photo and it would send a postcard of it but they got rid of it. it was pretty neat

the book making was really nice, too. not really cheap, but nice. i used it to make a few books as gifts and it was cool for a polished product to appear in the mail without a java applet and a questionably sluggish website in 2008

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

vim users lmao

lol

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

welp https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/17/core-i9-chip-macbook-pro-throttling/

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

lol its an android

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

He goes on to share some Premiere Pro render times that suggest the new 2018 MacBook Pro with Core i9 chip underperforms compared to a 2017 model with a Core i7 chip. It took 39 minutes for the 2018 MacBook Pro to render a video that the older model was able to render in 35 minutes.

Lee ran the same test again with the 2018 MacBook Pro in the freezer, and in cooler temperatures, the i9 chip was able to offer outstanding performance, cutting that render time down to 27 minutes and beating out the 2017 MacBook Pro.

lomarf

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i never would have guessed that shoving two more cores into a computer that already had insufficient cooling would cause problems

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
two more cores and non low power ram. and also a big iPad class arm chip with its own ram. they bumped up the battery to compensate but guess what the thermals are an even bigger problem now

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i think it's good that people spending $6,700 on a laptop are getting the worst one

that makes me happy when i think about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol @ both lovely apple hardware and also the dork in the video who thinks apple devices aren't consumer grade trash.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my brand new 2015 mbp is suiting the heck out of my needs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Stringent posted:

my brand new 2015 mbp is suiting the heck out of my needs

same but my 2012 mba

though tbh i just finished an album design and its starting to drag a bit saving files. those were some beefy complicated raster images though so idk if its really a problem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
itt: mac users desperately gaslight themselves into believing their 6 year old computers aren't slow as poo poo because they can't buy anything better

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
can you imagine if Apple released a good desktop tower with expansion slots and a good gpu and good cooling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no.